SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with these LED lanterns?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with these LED lanterns? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Streamlight Siege D battery model for me.

Set of batteries lasts quite a while. I have used it mostly in the field during exercises with the red light feature.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
One comment; during our protracted outage in this area, "D" batteries became very hard to find. Plenty of "C" and "AA" around though, and obviously you do not want a rechargeable for emergency stand-by.

So I would think you want a lantern which uses a battery size which you stock and rotate. I have a very good lantern which uses 6v lantern batteries--so they are either flat or nearly so on the rare occasions when needed.

This is an excellent point. I had the same experience in Jersey during Sandy. I purchased some spacers like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Panason...eable/dp/B00JRF2GHO/

They allow you to use AA batteries in devices that need D sized cells. I have run them in my D sized LED lanterns (Rayovacs for me) and they work just fine. The running time will obviously be shorter because of the smaller capacity but AAs are cheap and plentiful (even during storms). Plus I always keep plenty of charged NiMH cells on hand for my other lights and devices.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 881 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The Streamlight Siege lantern should be in every household in America...great power outage lights.

I have the AA and D battery models. I keep low discharge rechargeable eneloop AA batteries in them. I use D to A battery conversion sleeves in the D model flashlight. Reason being is that I only keep perhaps 10 D batteries in the house, as I prefer to use rechargeable AA batteries, and I have probably 50 alkaline AA batteries as backup.

Do not store the flashlight with Alkaline batteries in it. They leak too much these days. Lithium or NiMH are good for long term storage though.

If you have 10-15 rechargeable AA batteries, they will get you through a 20-30 day power outage, and you don't even need to dip into the reserve alkaline batteries.

My mother in law lost power for about a week during Irma. I let her borrow the lanterns and she couldn't stop singing their praises. Thought they were the coolest gadgets ever.

As to the ETecCity lanterns, I received two as a gift. They are bargain basement compared to the streamlight . They have 30 LED diodes that light up, which probably consumes a shit ton of power compared to the more efficient lanterns. Plus they only have one brightness level, which is pretty much too bright most of the time.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have an older led 6 d cell colman but its just a dust collector now.

The elk city 4 aa battery mini lanterns along with head lamps and hand helds are a better solution then a large led lantern. Its easier and cheaper to run rechargeable aa's and everyone can have their own, every room can have its own, and it is enough light to function.

Did I mention they put out less light? These aren't powerful enough to light a room, just an area say 6x6 feet. But it is enough to light up a doorway from across a house and allow you to walk your way through rooms or around the yard or to read a book.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4792 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I use D to A battery conversion sleeves in the D model flashlight.
Nice. It wouldn't have occurred to me. Not that I would set mine up like that, but what's the runtime with those batteries?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a D model Siege but for the AA I went with these - for the price I like them a lot, but the light is a little more harsh compared to the soft glow of the Siege models. But I got 2-3 of them for every 1 AA Siege, so for around the house / for the kids, it's fine for me.

CORE 85 Lumen CREE LED Mini Battery Lantern, 3 AA, Camp Lantern, Emergency Lantern

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Apparently, I've been living under a rock. Seems like everyone except me knew about these lanterns.

One of the benefits of SigForum. Smile

We must be sharing the same tunnel. I'm staying with this thread closely. I'm gonna buy sumthin when everyone has spoken. Great and timely topic.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
CORE 85 Lumen CREE LED Mini Battery Lantern, 3 AA, Camp Lantern, Emergency Lantern

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Well, one of the reviews on Amazon for that light is entitled "I love this lantern as much as a man can love a lighting fixture", and that says a lot.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I promise that wasn't me. Wink

The do make a D-battery model as well, but I already had the Siege, otherwise I might have tried it.

I bought one for everyone in the house, plus the Siege and a cheap Harbor Freight Chinese solar one for the main areas.

I get AA, AAA, and D batteries on a schedule from Amazon subscribe - usually alternate AA / AAA each month and every 3 Ds. Got a drawer full and occasionally skip months - before Irma I counted 180-ish AAs, about 150 AAAs, and 60+ Ds.

The AA/AAAs are the most used in remotes, game controllers, and flashlights, hence the stash.

It's amazing how easy it is to built a small stockpile with $10-15 month over time - just tack it on to the dog food, TP, paper towels, etc and I don't even notice

posted Hide Post
Fuck it, I just purchased the Core D-model with the dimmer. Not in stock but for $30 worth a shot. If its anything like the reviews and the AA models, it'll be great.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of flashlights and headlamps, but one thing I realized during Hurricane Harvey was that I didn't have any lanterns. I have two AA Streamlight Siege lanterns and one D Streamlight Siege lantern on the way.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Annnnd SIGforum just cost me some more money.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Annnnd SIGforum just cost me some more money.

But there may come a time when the money you just spent will pay for itself and then some. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
About 3 years ago had the power go out bunch of times in a 6 mounth time frame. I ended up with two streamlight siege D models and one of the siege AA models. I love these three little guys. Even at hunting camp anymore my go to is one of these over a couple big coleman lanterns.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use Fenix for almost all my lighting needs. I have a dozen or more 18650 batteries so I just use one of their Rechargeable laterns. I've got a crapton of the batteries, Plus three cars to use to charge them if I need for longer than a few weeks. The runtime is kind of short but since I have all the batteries I don't care. Also if used on low it will last 500hrs (20+ days).

If you're not into rechargeable batteries they also will use 123's instead. Reason I like rechargeable is I have very little that uses alkaline batteries anymore so I'd be buying new batteries just to replace my backups every 2-3 years.

I also have three 20,000 mAh battery packs for charging things too.

ETA

If you happen to purchase a Fenix lantern, please use this link as I get a kickback and I can use the store credit to buy more lights Smile

http://fenixoutfitters.com?afmc=38

It's free shipping in US for orders over $35. Discount Code APP10 gets you 10% off too.
They also will do any warranty repairs for Fenix lights purchased from them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
The Siege D cell model has survived 5 years of regular use by my now 6 year old daughter. We use it almost daily as a reading light in her bunkbed.
It has operated flawlessly through two hurricanes (6 and 4 days without power, with my kids dragging it around and fighting over it- The Samsonite Gorilla has nothing on those 2)
I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

The other thing I like for power outages is a headlamp. I have this one and really like it
https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-F...words=headlamp+fenix

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Streamlight 44941 (AA) for $26.99 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...ds=streamlight+44941

You have to watch Amazon, as the price can change from time to time or with different sellers.

That's a great price, only $2 over wholesale

Posts: 4129 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just north of Savannah and lost power for 4 days.

We have two of the lanterns you show as preferred. Ours are D cell RAY-O-Vac SE3DLN. I'd get them or similar as they last for days.

Someone also mentioned getting a headlamp. I bought one of the VITCHELO V800 that uses AA batteries. I wish I had one of those for each of us. Makes walking around much safer than trying to carry a light.

If you happen to have Dewalt batteries our best light was an LED flashlight attachment that goes on top of an 18 volt Dewalt battery pack. More flood light then you need and literally lasted for 2 days without being turned off.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A headlamp is a must. It's one of those things you don't think of until you actually use it. Then it's like "dam how did I get along without this". Two free hands are great when wandering around in the dark.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Streamlight 44941 (AA) for $26.99 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...ds=streamlight+44941

You have to watch Amazon, as the price can change from time to time or with different sellers.

That's a great price, only $2 over wholesale

Damn good price, so I ordered 2. I have 3 of the D cell and have used them all summer, camping, picnics, etc. More than impressive, have not changed the batteries yet

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post