SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with these LED lanterns?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with these LED lanterns? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This thread has prompted me to do some thinking. I'm sure that I can rig up something to suspend my Coleman lantern above eye level. That ought to solve the glare problem.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go Streamlight. My neighbor has the Siege 3XD model and uses it on a boat. He says its good to go. I plan on getting one myself. And Streamlight will stand behind it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Streamlight Siege D cell lantern for a few years now. Several power outages, walking on the beach or just hanging out by the fire pit this lantern has been solid for me. I like it so much I sent one to my daughter on the coast for her hurricane kit.

Since today’s alkaline batteries have a tendency to leak, I keep two sets of batteries in the cabinet beside the lantern, making it easy when it’s needed.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both of the Streamlight models. We use them at our remote UP deer camp (no electricity). I highly recommend them.
I prefer the AA model. They give about the same amount of light in a more compact package. I have 2 of the AA models and my daughter has used them for camping many times without any issues.

Posts: 212 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I have the Super Siege model with 1100 lumens and love it . Got it just for power outages and found we use it for everything now.

Never had any problems with it. When the main button goes from green to yellow then red it is time for charge.

And the Streamlight warrants its products to be free of defects for a lifetime of use except for batteries and bulbs, abuse and normal wear*. We will repair, replace or refund the purchase price of this product should we determine it to be defective. This limited lifetime warranty also excludes rechargeable batteries, chargers, switches and electronics which have a 2 year warranty with proof of purchase.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
I have been using the Streamlight Siege D cell lantern for a few years now. Several power outages, walking on the beach or just hanging out by the fire pit this lantern has been solid for me. I like it so much I sent one to my daughter on the coast for her hurricane kit.

I own the same model and it's been great.
No problems, reliable and handy.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we used a Coleman for 15 years while camping on a regular basis, just not that model

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I was without power for 6 days after Irma. I used these led lanterns I got from Amazon:

Etekcity 4 Pack Portable Outdoor LED Camping Lantern

I work 3rd shift at work and had to wake up and get ready for work when it was pitch black outside. These lanterns lit up the bedroom and bathroom with more than enough light for my use.

I know it's not what you asked about but these worked for me.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah I saw those when I was shopping around.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Like Fenris, i have four of the GE model and three sleeves of D-cells in the fridge.

When that major power outage hit socal a few years back, i was the only house on the block with light. Just me and dogs with a brought house. Nice thing also is to have a radio which takes the same size battery.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
we used a Coleman for 15 years while camping on a regular basis, just not that model
If you're talking about a fluorescent lantern, we may have the same model. It has a lead acid battery. From discharged to full charge takes about 18 hours. In other words, you need a substantial amount of notice in order to use it. That was fine this time around because we knew the storm was coming. If in immediate need, however, my lead acid Coleman is useless.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Based upon comments in the thread, I've removed the Coleman Quad from my shopping list. And yes, I see that Amazon's err "dynamic pricing" has kicked in and the AA Siege is 27 bucks with free shipping, so I ordered one to take a look. I guess I'll get two of the D cell Sieges and call it good.

I can see why everyone likes the AA model but the D cell model will run- according to Streamlight- 295 hours on its low white light setting of 55 lumens. That's 12 days.

Take a look at the runtime differences.

AA model: http://www.streamlight.com/doc...e/fact-sheet/196.pdf

D model: http://www.streamlight.com/doc...e/fact-sheet/192.pdf

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It is amazing what the D cell ones will run. Of the two "30 Day" lamps I bought in 2014 I used one for a test. Put it in the back room on low with new batteries and let it go. Ran about 20 days before it died. Now I didn't measure the batteries before I turned it on I just used ones I had in the cupboard. The other I just put batteries in and used. We have had a few power outages (nothing longer than 6 hours) and it has run on the same batteries since 2014. On low power it lights up the living room fine (white walls) and we have used it as a night light for 10 hours plus at least a half a dozen times.

Modern LED's are pretty impressive. Although one posters mention of battery availability has made me consider "splitting the difference" and either getting rechargeable D cells or a lamp with a rechargeable proprietary battery. I have a good selection of batteries in the house but if you are constrained to one specific type I can see where availability might be a problem.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:

I own the same model and it's been great.
No problems, reliable and handy.
I've also got that model. Had it for about 4-5 years and have used it in several power outages. The batteries last a good amount of time and it gives quite a bit of light. I'm happy with it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have and like the Streamlight AA versions. Used them camping and briefly during the occasional snow storm power outages.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
I placed an order for a Streamlight AA model. Should work well in the dungeon-like area where I keep the sump pump.

The "As Seen on TV" model was mentioned...it's the Bell & Howell Taclight...I looked at reviews on those and was fairly unimpressed.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get a light that operates on AA batteries, then you can use low self discharge rechargeable batteries. Maha batteries and chargers are excellent. If you decide to go that route, be sure to get charger that has separate charging circuit for each battery. This is an excellent choice and includes charge capability with your car and home electric. https://www.thomasdistributing...del_p_381.html#tab-4

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my three streamlights. Two AA and one D. Rugged ,water resistance, bright, hook, long lasting and more. I have had them almost two years. I use them for camping, hunting, fishing, and everything in between. They all have fallen of off tables, truck tailgates, rolled down hills hundred of yards, and one was left outside all night in a rain storm with the light on.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Apparently, I've been living under a rock. Seems like everyone except me knew about these lanterns.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Apparently, I've been living under a rock. Seems like everyone except me knew about these lanterns.

One of the benefits of SigForum. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of different LED lanterns I prefer the kids use and for short power out periods. (One is the quad and you're right on the short battery life).

But the weak link in all of these seems to be the batteries. Even Duracell batteries don't seem to last without leakage anymore, and the cheaper ones are even worse. I don't leave batteries in any of the emergency lanterns anymore because of this. (I've seen recent production Duracells leak after only six months).

As a kid on a NC OB island the power went out all of the time. We had Coleman, Optimus and wick/mantle kerosene lamps/lanterns.
Never let us down and I still have them around. Some of these are the Aladdin model 23s with wicks/mantle and some are just old school wick types.

They do throw off heat which you notice in hot weather.

Here's another downside to this electric stuff. In scouting I saw a number of folks switch from pressure lanterns to LED/battery types.

The failure point (on top of battery short life) is most of these are not water-resistent.

We went on one scouting trip where there was a thunderstorms/rain over a weekend and we had to search for some missing kids. The worst that happened to the Coleman lanterns was a popped mantle which could be replaced.
Pretty much all of the LED lanterns shorted/failed in the heavy rain.
(We were using the Mil-Spec (Coleman 252) lanterns at the time that have the quad globes which are designed to be thicker than normal and not shatter in rain.

After that I do carry LEDs lanterns along but always kept an old school Coleman 237 (kerosene) or regular coleman fuel lantern if necessary.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post