SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with these LED lanterns?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with these LED lanterns? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
After the recent fun with an extended power outage, I am getting ready to update emergency lighting sources for my home.

I've settled on three different models which I think will suit my needs, one of each:

Coleman Quad LED Lantern

Streamlight Siege, D battery model

Streamlight Siege, AA battery model

Any experience with these, guys? Thanks

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I have three Streamlight Siege models. The AA type, the D type, and the Super Siege. We've used them camping and during hurricane Matthew last year when we lost power for two days. I've used them for working under the house or under the truck. Great lanterns! The Super Siege you can use as an emergency recharge port for your phone. The kids each have there own AA model. Really like these lights. The warranty is lifetime, no BS.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have purchased a number of the GE lanterns from Costco. I've had good luck with them so far. They take 8 D cells and have three light levels. The LED ones are a vast improvement over the old florescent ones.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Coleman Quad LED Lantern
We have this one.
Runtime and battery life have always seemed to be a bit too short.
However, I don't have another battery powered light for comparison.
Disconnected panel battery life is very short.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Big fan of the UST stuff myself:

http://www.ustbrands.com/produ...ns-led-lighting-ust/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I have/had (stuff's been in storage for a while) the quad light from Coleman. Good for a camping trip with kids, so everybody gets a light, but otherwise it's a gimmick. I think you'd be better off buying a couple of headlamps or some cheap LED flashlights vs this. The Streamlight does look interesting though and gets pretty good reviews.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One comment; during our protracted outage in this area, "D" batteries became very hard to find. Plenty of "C" and "AA" around though, and obviously you do not want a rechargeable for emergency stand-by.

So I would think you want a lantern which uses a battery size which you stock and rotate. I have a very good lantern which uses 6v lantern batteries--so they are either flat or nearly so on the rare occasions when needed.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I have four of the UST lanterns, two D cell and two AA cell. Had them for three years and they are great. I keep the "10 day" AA cell one in the glovebox.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
If you buy the Streamlight 44941, Zoro (part of Grainger) sells it cheaper, and if you create an account and leave some of these in your cart for a week or so, they will send you a coupon. Normally 15% first, then later 20, and even 25% off.

https://www.zoro.com/streamlig...?q=streamlight+siege

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up on the standard Siege. I would have gotten an AA model as well but I found a UST Pico for $9.99 at a TJ Maxx...so, I went with that. I really like it. The fluorescent green makes it easy to find.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I have purchased a number of the GE lanterns from Costco. I've had good luck with them so far. They take 8 D cells and have three light levels.

I have one of these too and love it and they run forever, one of the best things about the electricity sipping LED bulbs

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of these:
LED lantern 16.99

3xD batteries, plenty bright & have a small 'beacon' so you can find them in the dark. Battery life is good, plenty bright & doesn't have much glare -the quad LED one looks like you'd have to have it above eye level or it will be a pain in the ass.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I bought the Streamlight D model and it seems solid, but I haven't put it to use yet. I had previously bought a couple of similar style from Rayovac:

https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac...ords=rayovac+lantern

The Rayovac model has worked extremely well and I can highly recommend it. I saw the Streamlight on an Amazon lightning deal for $29, so I got one. It looks solid and I like it, but the Rayovacs have continued to work fine, so I haven't put the Streamlight into service.

They are a little differently cosmetically, but quite similar in function.

I would think that the AA models work well, and AA batteries are easier to find, so that might be a consideration. I tend to stock up on batteries as well, and the lanterns are very efficient.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a 4-D cell Coleman LED lantern to provide room illumination for power out situations. It does that pretty well, but produces lots of glare. I wish it could be configured to direct all light upwards, to be reflected from the ceiling. It looks as though that might be an option for the Stteamlight Siege (your second link), but that's not entirely clear from the description.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have a trolling motor battery so I use an inverter and connect it to my lamp which has a fluorescent 30 watt that puts out 2200 lumens for a reading light. I use a Coleman 6 volt fluorescent for portable use.

Now it is time to update with the LED technology. One way is to get a 12 volt LED bulb for the reading light and use the 12 Volt battery. You would need a fixture with three bulb capacity to use the Marine LED light which puts out 700 lumens each.

https://www.superbrightleds.co...bulb-7w-12v-dc/3183/

For a portable light, I would probably use a Coleman or make up a battery pack using lithium ion batterys.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Streamlight 44941 (AA) for $26.99 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...ds=streamlight+44941

You have to watch Amazon, as the price can change from time to time or with different sellers.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They also make LED lanterns that use the 18V Lithium Ion batteries you use with portable power tools. I have a Ryobi. Don't know how long the battery will run the LED, but it is a good option when the power goes out.

I've had good luck with the Costco GE LED lantern mentioned in Fenris' post.

If you could only use the power of the 10mm to power a lantern...

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here is a lithium ion powered lantern available online at Home Depot that looks good. Check the questions and answers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nat...572601099_pkw__pmt__

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
the Siege D cell is awesome, pricey. Fenix has a new line of lanterns.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/...echargeable-lantern/

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
How about those supposedly indestructible ones sold on TV?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post