SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grains, Rice, Nuts, Fruit, and Spices... 10% discount for SigForum Members
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grains, Rice, Nuts, Fruit, and Spices... 10% discount for SigForum Members Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've been watching for the Autumn Blend Lentils to come back in inventory.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, i didn't know about the autum blend lentils.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
FYI. Alaska is a part of the "continental" Unite States. We're over 5% of the North American Continent.

If you aren't going to include us in your free shipping, even though UPS ground is the same price to Alaska as it is anywhere else in the country, at least say, "Contiguous"

quote:
Shipping
Free UPS Ground Delivery
Free ground shipping is standard for wholesale business accounts in the continental US meeting the order minimum. Non-business customers can take advantage of the savings we’ve earned with UPS by delivering top quality goods around the country over the last 25 years.

For a limited time, non-business customers can also enjoy free ground shipping with orders of $60 or more.

We strive to ship all orders placed by 4:30 PM Mountain Standard Time the same day.

UPS collects our overnight expedited packages mid afternoon instead of in the evening, and our online cutoff time is 3:00pm. Estimates provided on the cart page reflect this. After 3:00pm MST, 2nd Day Air and Next Day Air delivery dates will be the same, so we recommend NOT spending the extra money for overnight delivery.

The map below illustrates the number of transit days for delivery from our warehouse via UPS ground. Saturdays and Sundays are not UPS transit days.

Expedited shipping is available at the customer’s expense.

<<Picture Snipped>>

Free Shipping offers only available within the continental US
Additional shipping charges apply when shipping to Alaska and Hawaii

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Agreed. "US" includes all 50 states. "Continental" includes Alaska and the lower 48, but not Hawaii. "Contiguous" is the lower 48.

It's distinction that few recognize.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I just won't even give a penny anymore to companies that do this. If Alaska is too small of a market for a company to care, I'll gladly spend my money elsewhere. You'll put up with Californias stupidity, jump through hoops and spend more to do business there... but don't support hard-working, rural Americans duking it out in the last frontier. Well...it's a business decision I guess.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I've been watching for the Autumn Blend Lentils to come back in inventory.

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
oh, i didn't know about the autum blend lentils.

Absolutely worth the wait.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1050031174/p/1

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those doo look awesome. I love lentils, the wife hates them. We compromise with their heirloom beans.

As of yet, I have not found a bad bean from them. I like them all. The adzuki and cranberry beans are fantastic. the red rice, brown rice all have great consistent flavor.

We are quite happy.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
FYI. Alaska is a part of the "continental" Unite States. We're over 5% of the North American Continent.

If you aren't going to include us in your free shipping, even though UPS ground is the same price to Alaska as it is anywhere else in the country, at least say, "Contiguous"

quote:
Shipping
Free UPS Ground Delivery
Free ground shipping is standard for wholesale business accounts in the continental US meeting the order minimum. Non-business customers can take advantage of the savings we’ve earned with UPS by delivering top quality goods around the country over the last 25 years.

For a limited time, non-business customers can also enjoy free ground shipping with orders of $60 or more.

We strive to ship all orders placed by 4:30 PM Mountain Standard Time the same day.

UPS collects our overnight expedited packages mid afternoon instead of in the evening, and our online cutoff time is 3:00pm. Estimates provided on the cart page reflect this. After 3:00pm MST, 2nd Day Air and Next Day Air delivery dates will be the same, so we recommend NOT spending the extra money for overnight delivery.

The map below illustrates the number of transit days for delivery from our warehouse via UPS ground. Saturdays and Sundays are not UPS transit days.

Expedited shipping is available at the customer’s expense.

<<Picture Snipped>>

Free Shipping offers only available within the continental US
Additional shipping charges apply when shipping to Alaska and Hawaii

Me thinks you're being a bit harsh here... Wink

The '<<Picture Snipped>>' IS the delivery map! They specifically state that 'Additional shipping charges apply when shipping to Alaska'! It's not as if they're hiding that, and honestly, I assume that if you're living in Alaska, your experience would be that basically ANY company NOT located in Alaska, charges more to ship to Alaska! The reason they do so because it costs more to ship to Alaska! Further, I would NOT be surprised if UPS doesn't even offer them the same discounted shipping rates to Alaska that they offer them for shipments to the rest of the 'Continental US' either.

You might be correct in that they selected the wrong word/descriptor referring to where orders ship for free, but as 'flashguy' stated, "it's a distinction that few recognize." In fact, excluding those that actually live in Alaska, or did so in the past, it's likely that the vast majority of those in the US wouldn't know the correct descriptor anyway. Heck, both words (Continental and Contiguous) even have the same first five letters, but I digress.

Honestly, they seem to be over-communicating compared to most companies re: 'delivery' options. But if you feel so offended that you 'won't even give a penny anymore to companies that do this', then you're gonna be perpetually offended, and self-limited to a short list of suppliers for things that aren't actually IN Alaska when you want and/or need them. Just Sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Although hard to see, I still have a supply of Autumn Harvest lentils and they're in this soup:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...830013684#2830013684

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Words matter in some contexts.
Your assumption that base-rate shipping costs are more to Alaska, isn't necessarily correct. Its an ASSumption many people make, and some companies...without actually looking into it. The distance from Seattle to Anchorage is similar to the distance from Seattle to Orlando. Costs are similar also.

But keep making ASSumptions, I am all too happy to spend money elsewhere. There are plenty of companies that realize many of their goods get to them via Alaska, and other than airmail, ground and standard shipping costs aren't any more than in the lesser 49.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Sooo, your ASSumptions are cute, but unfortunately, they're NOT accurate. The shipper in question is in Cottonwood, AZ and NOT Seattle, WA. That said, as it turns out (and I checked) it doesn't really matter where you're shipping from, because in the end, the results are the same. Whether you pick the closest point/major city in the 'Contiguous US' to Anchorage, or the furthest, it simply costs more to ship to Alaska....Apparently a LOT more!

Just so we're NOT making any ASSumptions, we would actually be shipping from Cottonwood, AZ and we'll use UPS Ground because that's who they use. Just for fun we'll compare the rates for 2nd Day Air as well. According to the UPS Simple Rate calculator, when shipping a Medium parcel (251 - 650 cubic in.) via UPS, the shipping cost(s) look like this:

Cottonwood, AZ to Anchorage, AK
4 Days in Transit to Ship 3564 Miles via Ground @ $54.15
2nd Dar Air = $57.40

Cottonwood, AZ to Orlando, FL
3 Days in Transit to Ship 2120 miles via Ground @ $16.15
2nd Day Air = $34.85

Cottonwood, AZ to Bangor, ME
4 Days in Transit to Ship 2845 miles via Ground @ $16.15
2nd Day Air = $34.85

Using Seattle,WA as the shipping point, the cost(s) for shipping via UPS look like this:

Seattle, WA to Anchorage, AK
4 Days in Transit to Ship 2260 miles via Ground @ 54.15
2nd Dar Air = $57.40

Seattle, WA to Orlando, FL
5 Days Transit to Ship 3073 miles via Ground @ $16.15
2nd Day Air = $34.85

Seattle, WA to Bangor, ME
5 Days Transit to Ship 3274 miles via Ground @ $16.15
2nd Day Air = $34.85

And even the Worst Case Scenario:

Orlando, FL to Anchorage, AK
4 Days Transit to Ship 4733 miles via Ground @ $54.15
2nd Dar Air = $57.40

Sooo, UPS actually charges MORE than TRIPLE (3.35x) the cost to ship to Alaska via UPS Ground, vs. shipping all the way across the entire 'Contiguous US'....Honestly, that's even worse than I thought! While the difference for 2nd Day Air is somewhat 'closer' at 'only' 1.65x more to ship to Alaska, it obviously costs even more to do so vs Ground, and NOBODY likes to pay more for shipping! At the end of the day, charging more to ship to Alaska appears to be a financial decision... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Although hard to see, I still have a supply of Autumn Harvest lentils and they're in this soup:

Your soups look amazing ! I was reading the recipe for the soup with the cabbage and Italian sausage when my adult daughter looked over my shoulder going, "yum, that looks so good !".

I suggested making this for dinner tonight and she gave a resounding YES. Will have to use store bought lentils. I need to order some Autumn Harvest lentils !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Your soups look amazing ! I was reading the recipe for the soup with the cabbage and Italian sausage when my adult daughter looked over my shoulder going, "yum, that looks so good !".

I suggested making this for dinner tonight and she gave a resounding YES. Will have to use store bought lentils. I need to order some Autumn Harvest lentils !

Thanks! Big Grin
Sadly the lentil blend still appears to be out of stock at Mount Hope Wholesale.
They're a mix of French Green Lentils, Red Lentils, Petite Gold Lentils, Beluga Lentils, Spanish Pardina, and Ivory Lentils.
https://www.mounthopewholesale...autumn-lentil-blend/
Maybe Noah aka Beancooker will chime in about expected availability.

And as for the cabbage soup, I've now added 4 large grilled and diced boneless-skinless chicken thighs and a couple more diced hot Italian sausages for additional protein to the left overs. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
bald1 ... yeah, I saw they were out of stock, but that is okay and I will keep watching.

I just got back from the grocery store with fresh ingredients for the soup ... including lentils since the one package I have is a bit dated.

I was wondering how much protein. I took out two large chicken breasts and two hot Italian sausages. Should I add more ? There are four adults here ... myself and three women.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering how much protein. I took out two large chicken breasts and two hot Italian sausages. Should I add more ? There are four adults here ... myself and three women.

It really is up to you. If the four of you tend towards vegetable soup or if you all relish meaty entrees will dictate how much you add. I started off on the veggie side and decided I wanted more meat. The amount of lentils can be increased as well. Same with seasoning which you might have noticed I didn't mention. It is one of those "season to taste" concoctions.
Regardless of the mix you really can't go wrong. Add some crusty fresh bread. It makes for a hearty meal. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Copy sir ... what I was thinking too. Talked with the wife and will go with what we have now, and if need more protein for the leftovers will add some then.

I will hopefully post a pick but shutter at the thought will not look as good as yours. Smile

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Copy sir ... what I was thinking too. Talked with the wife and will go with what we have now, and if need more protein for the leftovers will add some then.

I will hopefully post a pick but shutter at the thought will not look as good as yours. Smile

It isn't how good it looks... it's how great it tastes. I've no doubt you'll tweak yours to the great satisfaction of your wife and other women who will be partaking! Bon appétit! Big Grin

Oh and please, while I appreciate the "sir" it is totally unnecessary.
LoL Makes me feel older than I already am! LoL

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
We are probably close the the same age ... I am on Medicare. Smile

The "sir" is part of my cowboy upbringing, time in the military and career in law enforcement.

Also refer to women as "ma'am"

Smile

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are probably close the the same age ... I am on Medicare. Smile

The "sir" is part of my cowboy upbringing, time in the military and career in law enforcement.

Also refer to women as "ma'am"

Smile

LoL I suspected as much with the "old" in your handle. I'm 74.
As my signature lines indicates I'm retired military. Was a "mustang" having started as enlisted and then taking a commission. So I too have been brought up and trained to show respect and courtesy.
But among friends here in the forum community, the respect we have for each other is already evident. Big Grin

Let me know how your soup turns out. I'm curious if any of the women are looking for you to spice it up with much more heat than the sausage provides. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
bald1 ... The soup was great ! Few changes was adding more broth and not using broccoli since the women prefer it not in a soup.

The only additional seasoning was adding a little fresh cracked pepper after serving in the bowl. Crusty bread and Kerrygold butter.

Did not take a photo since not as colorful as your soup since we used plain lentils and left out the broccoli. Would of been much nicer looking with the Autumn Harvest lentils and the broccoli.

Definitely will make again.