SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Something different: lentil sausage stew for lunch :)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something different: lentil sausage stew for lunch :) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I spotted these lentils when placing an order with Noah aka beancooker's outfit. Hadn't had lentils in the house in decades.

Got the itch to play with this great selection.

After rinsing:

And found this recipe which sounded great.:
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/...l_stew_with_sausage/
Followed the recipe with a few minor modifications: went heavy on the sausage, used 4 cups beef stock and 2 cups water, added celery seed to the diced celery, and used red wine vinegar instead of sherry vinegar.

Almost done. Smile

Lunch time! Big Grin Big Grin

Great stuff! And yes, intend to do traditional lentil soup in the near future as well. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious. I’ve never tried a blend like that, I’m definitely interested. Lentil soup is a favorite of mine, and Indian style red lentils are darn tasty.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’ve never eaten lentils, but that looks pretty tasty Bob. I may have to give some a try!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Might just give this a go!

Thanks!

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I haven't had lentil soup in a long time. Now I'm in the mood to make some. Adding sausage sounds like a good move.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Loves me some lentils.
Thanks for the recipe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
We make a lentil stew very close to that from time to time. Quite delicious.

We also make a thick lentil soup with the orange lentils and also just boiled french green lentils as a side.

Cheap, healthy and filling.

If you've never had lentils before and don't eat a high fiber diet, I'd exercise caution with the quantity you eat...you may have some toilet related regrets from the fiber bomb. Eek

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My mom's lentil soup is one of my favorites!

One of my other favorites is cooking lentils in chicken broth, then adding in some sauteed onions & carrots and then mix in some bacon!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

One of my other favorites is cooking lentils in chicken broth, then adding in some sauteed onions & carrots and then mix in some bacon!

That's essentially what this recipe is save adding sausage in addition to the bacon and using celery in the base.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Your lentil stew looks great.

About four days a week the main part of my supper is a veggie stew: half black beans, half collard greens. Plus seasoning: turmeric, Accent, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Very tasty. And nutritious.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We like sausage and lentil soup quite a lot, especially in the winter

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As a former vegetarian I am a fan of lentils. A lot of the work for cooking beans is avoided with lentils, adzuki beans, mung beans, and black-eye peas. Lentils have a nice texture.

Your soup reminds me of portugese kale and sausage soup, a winter favorite at Casa Kablammo. Lentils are are also good in Mujeddra, and Tabouleh-although as a non-traditional extender.

Red Lentils are the beans that I use in Mulligatawny soup, and an indian curry soup.

Next week I plan to cook 24 oz of Zursun Idaho Heirloom Black Beluga Lentils to extend lunchtime Tabouleh.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic! I haven't had lentils in forever. The cafeteria at my elementary school used to make lentil soup from time to time, and it was really good. I wonder if our local bulk Amish food place sells those...I'd like to give that recipe a try.

Posts: 8572 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Do you have to soak the lentils prior to cooking, like dried beans?

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Looks good. Do you have to soak the lentils prior to cooking, like dried beans?

No, I simply rinsed them thoroughly. The picture above shows them draining in a fine mesh colander (also used for rinsing rice). Like mr kablammo said above, "a lot of the work for cooking beans is avoided with lentils."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Progresso already makes a sausage lentil soup.

https://www.instacart.com/prod...sausage-soup-18-5-oz

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Progresso already makes a sausage lentil soup.

Bet as good as Progresso soups are, that it simply can NOT compare to homemade! Big Grin

That said it would be a good "sanity check" for those interested in trying out this stew/soup without having to buy and cook up a batch. Smile
https://www.influenster.com/re...douille-sausage-soup

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I bought three cases when it was on sale for .50 a can at Sharp Shopper. The results was a high iron level when I had my yearly blood test. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As the winter sets in, calls for hearty stick-to-the-ribs comfort food echo through the halls.

Need to whip up a big batch of this stuff soon. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
That looks great. Reminds me of a 12 bean venison and chorizo chili I’ve made. Carrol Shelbi’s chili mix and a can of chipotle peppers with the odobo sauce round it out. Great winter staple and never made the same way twice

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post