SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 ... 960
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"Some suggest Biden should step in and pardon Trump"

^^^^ The President can pardon a crime against the US (a federal crime), not a crime against a state.

Q

Posts: 26813 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Only crimes against the US are pardonable by the president. State crimes are pardonable either by the governor.

The NY gov could pardon him since it would probably help Joe from falling further in the polls, and it's giving Trump a huge boost. She won't because she's narrow focused on being a party hack.

Still, Trump isn't going to jail, at least not anytime soon and certainly not before the election. He has 30 days starting today to file his Notice of Appeal and once filed, he has six months to file it - well past November.

Posts: 4127 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Twice impeached and now 34 guilty counts. Trump is going to wear them as BADGES OF HONOR during the coming Election cycle.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2727 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Like I told my retired buddies at coffee, some of whom are Trump haters, no matter what happens to Trump, whether he goes to prison or not, I’m still not voting for Biden. Kind of got quiet around the table as it dawned on the anti-Trumpers that it doesn’t change shit.

Posts: 5712 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16832 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take this as an opportunity to directly ask the people in our lives if they are registered to vote. If not, you can do it online: https://www.vote.org/register-to-vote

Posts: 707 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Twice impeached and now 34 guilty counts. Trump is going to wear them as BADGES OF HONOR during the coming Election cycle.

I think it could become part of his new logo and branding, and knowing the man he’s probably planning that. Make them regret doing this and make them eat it.

Back on election day 2016 I proudly walked around the entire day wearing this large button that I got from a local conservative radio station that said “I’M A DEPLORABLE”

Posts: 34093 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
July 11, 2024

I've never understood a judge expecting a found-guilty defendant to be contrite and basing their sentence on that. If the defendant maintains their innocence, there's nothing to be sorry for. If they say sorry, that's admitting guilt. That's my rationale anyway.

I don't see Trump or want Trump to be contrite. I don't want that judge to have any sense of having something over on Trump. It sickens me to think of the scenario of that judge basking in the position of having Trump ask for mercy. But will not being contrite cost Trump jail time, or conversely, could it save him jail time?

I know I'm looking at the small picture. A lot of you see this as a plus and all working out in the end. I don't want Trump in jail. For what that man has gone through since 2020, to now possibly being in jail, it's such bullshit.

Year V

Posts: 2649 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...gn=nl&recip=26773771

Mark Levin Has Some Legal Advice for Team Trump

After former President Donald Trump was convicted by a judge and jury on 34 felonies Thursday afternoon, which were resurrected from misdemeanors past the statutes of limitations and upgraded as charges by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, constitutional law attorney and conservative radio host Mark Levin has some advice about what to do next.

Levin is urging Trump to get the case out of New York and to the Supreme Court as soon as possible. From a post on X:

The issue is how to get out of the New York system and bring the case to the Supreme Court, which may or may not take it up. That is why I look to Bush v Gore, where the S Ct decided to step in BECAUSE it was a presidential election. There was another court involved, the Florida Supreme Court. And it was that court that the Supreme Court believed was violating the Equal Protection Clause. That was the doctrine it settled on, given the unequal treatment of voters.

In New York, you would file the notice of appeal, ask for a stay of the trial court, and seek expedited review. You need to protect your ability to timely appeal and not abandon it. You might then file applications for common law writs with the US Supreme Court, where the S Ct can take action if it chooses, and legitimately claim the harm is immediate and ongoing not just to a presidential candidate, but to the federal electoral system, federal campaign jurisdiction (reverse federalism), and the precedent that might otherwise be set and spread throughout the country. The denial of due process infected every aspect of the case.

The S Ct has common law powers (common law writs -- judicially created not statutorily created) it uses very sparingly, in extraordinary circumstances, to grant relief. Waiting would compound the problem. The problem now is that every day that goes by, the actions by the NY lower court bleeds into the federal, presidential election system.

Where does this end? Will other DA's use the Bragg-Merchan precedent, such as it is, going forward, and not care what higher state courts have to say, in that those courts may not act quickly or at all. So, now local prosecutors and state judges will intervene in presidential elections or any federal election.

We need to give the Supreme Court the opportunity to intervene. If it chooses not to, then it won't.

But between Jack Smith criminalizing election challenges to the point that we do not know what is or is not legal, and now Bragg and Merchan criminalizing events and activities that are not illegal, to the point we don't now know what they are, the Supreme Court, in my view, must do something.

In the end, the S Ct will not be able to avoid this forever. Better to deal with now than later, when it will get worse.

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38887 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Yes. The ambiguous "crime" is the offense the 34 charges were made in furtherance of, that made the 34 charges felonies instead of misdemeanors with

Are you an attorney? I ask because I would like to use your points on another forum.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 108148 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hell yes! I hope many more get onboard! It's about damn time!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38887 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Alan Dershowitz:
“Long before Donald Trump's hush-money trial concluded, I predicted that his conviction was a forgone conclusion – despite the obvious weakness of the case against him.

Had the prosecution been brought in another part of the country, or even in another part of New York State, which was more fairly balanced with anti and pro-Trump voters, I am in little doubt that the outcome would have been different.

But instead, on Thursday, Trump became the first former president to be found guilty of a crime – convicted on all 34 flimsy counts of 'falsifying business records.'

Why? Because this case was tried in Manhattan, where practically every man on the street wants to keep one Donald Trump out of the White House.

Perhaps the most important function of an independent jury in criminal trials is to keep a check on the biases of prosecutors and judges.

But for this constitutional protection to work, jurors must not be biased themselves against a defendant.

It's quite apparent that this essential protection was absent. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13481565

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9163 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NYC seems bound and determined to drive the people with money out of the city and state. Excessive taxes, labor union favoritism, terrible schools, illegal alien amnesty, rampant crime, all of it.

Now that they are showing they will target individuals with laws of attainder, selective prosecution, inflating minor process misdemeanors to felonies and everything else we have seen they do to Trump, billionaires on Wall Street will take notice lest the same thing happen to them if they become politically disfavored. Now that you can work from anywhere, why continue to do business in NYC?

Posts: 4769 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
<<snip>>
Pretty sure Tulsi is antigun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T554Gt0iL5k

Didn't sound that way to me! Sounds like she is "coming around" to the truth of why we need the 2nd Amendment, and why people need guns. She specifically mentioned protection from a tyrannical government, then went on to provide examples. Sounds like she has awakened to reality to me... at least I hope so!

Posts: 4670 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

In United States v. Wilson (1833), the U.S. Supreme Court held that a pardon can be rejected by the intended recipient and must be affirmatively accepted to be officially recognized by the courts.

Thanks! It seemed a pretty scary scenario.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8406 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Only crimes against the US are pardonable by the president. State crimes are pardonable either by the governor.

The NY gov could pardon him since it would probably help Joe from falling further in the polls, and it's giving Trump a huge boost. She won't because she's narrow focused on being a party hack.

Still, Trump isn't going to jail, at least not anytime soon and certainly not before the election. He has 30 days starting today to file his Notice of Appeal and once filed, he has six months to file it - well past November.

I’m not familiar with the appeals process so please educate me. If Trump is actively appealing this case does that mean that the judge can’t sentence him to jail time? If not, then what would stop him? Everything I’ve seen from this judge gives me the impression that is exactly what he wants to do…put Trump behind bars until at least after the election is over. But if there is something that can legally prevent him from doing so I would love to hear about it.

Posts: 697 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Glendale, California, today

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108148 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Love it!

Posts: 697 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
<<snip>>
Pretty sure Tulsi is antigun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T554Gt0iL5k

Didn't sound that way to me! Sounds like she is "coming around" to the truth of why we need the 2nd Amendment, and why people need guns. She specifically mentioned protection from a tyrannical government, then went on to provide examples. Sounds like she has awakened to reality to me... at least I hope so!

don't trust her

the 2A is part of the foundation and principle of the country and she has been against it until recently....

politicians seldom change their stripes when they are rabidly anti-gun for so long

Posts: 53403 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post