SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 ... 1146
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Here in little old fly over Cedar Rapids, Iowa I have noticed an exceptional lack of presidential campaign signs of both sides.

…snip…

I have temporarily blocked posts from a couple of overzealous long time friends until after the election.

We traveled about 950 miles (admittedly about 90% interstate) over Labor Day weekend and saw only three presidential campaign signs in people’s yards. With people being so polarized on the candidates, that may not be all that surprising, with the campaigns putting their cash into advertising that might mean something to someone and people being afraid to risk adverse reactions from fanatics on the other side.

While there have been some polite political discussions among my FB friends, I’ve only seen a few being really rabid about one candidate or the other. Like you, I’ve put a couple of the more vocal long-time liberal friends on snooze for a while (rather than upping my blood pressure medication!).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

We all know which side has 'fanatics' who destroy property and attack people for showing political gear/signage/etc.

In other words, Trump supporters don't display signs because they don't want their property vandalized, whereas there really aren't any 'harris supporters.'. .

When have you ever heard of somebody being attacked for wearing a Democrat hat or shirt?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hound Dog, I think you're pretty right on here.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
^^^^^^^^

We all know which side has 'fanatics' who destroy property and attack people for showing political gear/signage/etc.

In other words, Trump supporters don't display signs because they don't want their property vandalized, whereas there really aren't any 'harris supporters.'. .

When have you ever heard of somebody being attacked for wearing a Democrat hat or shirt?

Um . . .

quote:
Ohio man kills neighbor because ‘he thought he was a Democrat’

Brian Niemietz, New York Daily News

November 9, 2022·2 min read

A southwest Ohio man was killed by a neighbor who “thought he was a Democrat,” according to the victim’s shocked widow.

Austin Gene Combs confessed to shooting Anthony Lee King “several times with a revolver” while the 43-year-old victim and his wife were doing yardwork shortly before noon on Saturday, The Journal News reports.

The victim’s son called police to report the 26-year-old alleged shooter had come over “multiple times making statements” before killing his father in their Okeana, Ohio backyard.

“He’s insane,” the boy told a dispatcher, according to the Journal.

The victim’s wife reportedly told the dispatcher, “He has come over like four times confronting my husband because he thought he was a Democrat.”

She added that Combs had approached the victim four times before opening fire as she struggled to understand what had just happened.

“Why?” the woman asked. “Please, I don’t understand.”

The killing reportedly occurred when King’s wife came indoors to let the dog come inside. She heard gunshots, then saw Combs walking away as her husband laid dead.

The Journal News said Combs was booked on a murder charge and is being held on $950,000 bond in the Butler County Jail. He will appear in court Thursday.

Political violence leading up to Tuesday’s midterm elections has crossed party lines.

This was big news where I live. Link

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8873 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
How about yard signs saying "You Know Who" with stars, stripes and banners?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8543 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:

Um . . .

[QUOTE] Ohio man kills neighbor because ‘he thought he was a democrat.]

Ok, that's ONE.

People killed a guy for wearing a Longhorns shirt in Oklahoma. There are always crazies.

We all know the VAST MAJORITY of political violence and terrorism is from the leftists.

Do I really need to explain that?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Milliron's post, other than the claim from the deceased's wife that the murderer shot her husband because he thought the husband was a democrat, has there been any confirmation of such? So far the articles I've come across in 2022 and 2023 say that it was the person who called 911 (the deceased's wife) and the son making the thought-he-was-a-democrat claim.

Has there been any verification of the family's claim about being killed for being democrat from the murderer, his mental examiners (dude has a history of mental instability), or the court?

Posts: 5026 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The simple fact is that we have become much more polarized with less (in some cases much less) capability, interest, or willingness to listen to and try to understand the other side.

When I was younger, it was commonly understood that we all wanted what was best for the country and while we believed the other side was confused about what was best, we didn’t doubt their motives or sincerity.

These days it seems like each side is sure the other side is bound and determined to destroy the country.

I’m not convinced that it isn’t really the politicians and their string pullers acting to further their own interests, line their own pockets, and further inflame tensions between citizens on both political sides so that we are too busy fighting each other and too distrustful of each other to get together and ask, “Should we really be fighting each other or should we unite to oppose these ‘folks’ who are robbing us blind and truly destroying the future of our country?”

Politically, some might say that I would be placed to the right of Attila the Hun, but I have some friends who are afflicted with the leftoid mind virus / TDS / whatever you want to call it. They are not evil people, they don’t want to destroy the country, they give of their time, energy, and treasure to make the community a better place, and I respect them for what they do for the community, but we will not discuss anything political because they actually listen to and believe the party line as pushed by the current administration, the Lame Stream Media, and big tech.

It sure would be nice to get back to a time when there is honest unbiased information generally available and we can all discuss and both agree and disagree rationally…

Posts: 7071 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Here in little old fly over Cedar Rapids, Iowa I have noticed an exceptional lack of presidential campaign signs of both sides. <<snip>>

I see practically no signs here in Madison County, AL. The last 2 elections the county has voted blue, along with Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile. While the rest of the state is solid red, these 4 areas are fairly solid Dem, though Madison County just turned that way in the past 4 or 5 years because of the thousands of transplants moving here for the new companies that are coming it. I guess nobody wants a Kameltoe sign in their yard...

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

<<snip>>

That's exactly the reason I don't have one in our yard! Too many crazies these days, and I already have enough issues with idiots around here as it is. We've been in the house for a little over 8 years now and my mailbox has now been destroyed for the 4th time as of a few nights ago! Mad

Posts: 4778 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Milliron, everyone here knows your political leanings.

That is a terribly story. Who knows if there is a "rest of the story" component. If not and the guy is a lunatic then he should receive exactly what he deserves.

Hound dog is absolutely correct though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19704 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Milliron, everyone here knows your political leanings.

That is a terribly story. Who knows if there is a "rest of the story" component. If not and the guy is a lunatic then he should receive exactly what he deserves.

Hound dog is absolutely correct though.

I’m not sure what any of this has to do with my political leanings. This happened.

But for those who want more information about the Okeana shooting, here is some. But be warned, it may not fit your preferred narrative.

Reuters article

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8873 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
But be warned, it may not fit your preferred narrative.

I make an attempt to form my own opinions without the media telling me what I should believe because they've "done the work" so I don't have to.

I watch videos on Youtube pretty regularly. I've seen those on the right go into events held by those on the left (and vice versa) in order to get reactions, but I notice almost all of the swatting/hitting/grabbing/sign stealing etc is pretty exclusive to one side.

Are you saying that what I've seen isn't real?

I can even toss my amateur psychological opinion into my own observations which makes perfect sense. The right tends to be rational, and the left tends to be emotional. The right tends to make decisions based on what they perceive to be facts, where the left tends to make decisions based upon how they feel.

This explains the constant flip flopping from the left (because their feelings change), and also explains their outbursts.

What say you?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
"Quote"
I’m not sure what any of this has to do with my political leanings. This happened.

But for those who want more information about the Okeana shooting, here is some. But be warned, it may not fit your preferred narrative. "Quote"

It only fits your narrative Milliron. That is what is has to do with your political leanings.

So now you have the answer to your question. You fool no one here.

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
What say you?

I’ve seen plenty of emotional responses on the right. As to the “left”, that’s getting a bit hard to determine, as what seems to be regarded as “the left” is now fully 2/3 of the electorate. Presumably this includes Democrats, “RINOs”, and the actual left.

I’ve heard your description before. But I assure you for every clueless lefty you can find on YouTube, I can find an equally clueless conservative. So maybe this isn’t the best metric.

While on the topic of political violence, I do have to say that I think all this big talk tends to primarily aggravate the legitimately insane, be they left or right (if that’s even an accurate way of thinking about it). The vast, vast majority of people don’t want any part of it.

Robert Heinlein

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

It only fits your narrative Milliron. That is what is has to do with your political leanings.

So now you have the answer to your question. You fool no one here.

What’s my narrative? That this happened? It did happen. That’s not a political opinion, it’s a fact.

I assure you I’m not trying to fool anyone. At least not half as much as you’re fooling yourselves.

Robert Heinlein

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
for every clueless lefty you can find on YouTube, I can find an equally clueless conservative. So maybe this isn’t the best metric.

But I'm not talking about cluelessness. I'm specifically talking about one side getting physical with another.

Are you saying that for every example I can provide of a leftist (which isn't 2/3 of the population by any stretch) getting physical because they disagree with somebody, you can provide an example of a right leaning person doing the same?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Don't try reason with him alabdj. It is a waste of time. Every one of his post in this thread consecutively gives you more insight to his bullshit.
It shows itself every time. It is like a re-run of the pee-wee herman show. It is old hat by him.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, enough. Milliron is a longtime member of this forum and he's done nothing wrong.

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post

Austin Combs has been assessed eight times by forensic psychologists and has spent months in a Cincinnati treatment facility, but there remains no conclusion about what should happen to the man accused gunning down his Morgan Twp. neighbor in November 2022.

He's a loon.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Joey D
9/2/24

8/26/24

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post