SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The virus & passenger arrived January 15th in Seattle from Wuhan, China. Confirmed diagnosis January 20. CDC released news today.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51194651

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder about being sick on and off for two weeks, feeling fine for a while until my son went back to school, then BAM! Straight to Pnuemonia!

Yeah, Seattle area.

Ya'll can "hurr hurr you got's da 'bola!" but I'm the one struggling to breathe since Thursday and only managed to start coughing up the avocado in my lungs yesterday morning and got my x-rays that showed multiple pockets of it deep in my lungs.

I guess we'll see. If I stop posting, ya'll can laugh about da coronabola. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus is indeed a large and common family of viruses. The problem that arises is when a rogue strain starts to spread, like the SARS outbreak of 2002-3, and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome virus of 2012.

For weeks I've been noticing reports here and there of people struggling with some kind of persistent cold (including my mother, though she seems to be getting better finally). And here as well. I'm wondering if there's a connection.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Let’s put this into perspective based on comparative epidemiology. Last year in the U.S. there were MORE than 3,900 deaths due to seasonal influenza. The U.S. population is roughly 30% that of China, where FOUR people passed away in the last two weeks. Even though seasonal influenza doesn’t cover the entire year, let’s say it did. That means (for 3900 mortal cases) roughly 10.7 people on average died per day in the U.S. due to a common flu outbreak (last year the flu wasn’t notorious).

10.7 deaths/day x 14 days x 1.2 Billion/400 million (give or take the numbers on this last pop’n ratio) gives us a correlation against the 4 deaths in China, which is 449X. In other words based on what we know so far (China could be hiding real numbers), a standard flu outbreak causes 449 Times the number of deaths on a per capita & presumed transmission time basis than the hype-it-up-some-more-because-it’s-a-slow-fucking-news-day strain of the Coronavirus.

People are beyond stupid sometimes and must love to run around like Chicken Little. The Press speaks and many Squawk.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oooooh, the coronavirus

That's what I got. Patient Zero on the North American Continent.

It's not all that bad, really.

Posts: 107265 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^^ Walk it off. Maybe rub a little dirt on it.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I say it's time to notify the Nathan James.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Is it as bad as DA BOLA ? Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, another manufactured crisis, again.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
10.7 deaths/day x 14 days x 1.2 Billion/400 million (give or take the numbers on this last pop’n ratio) gives us a correlation against the 4 deaths in China, which is 449X. In other words based on what we know so far (China could be hiding real numbers), a standard flu outbreak causes 449 Times the number of deaths on a per capita basis than the hype-it-up-some-more-because-it’s-a-slow-fucking-news-day strain of the Coronavirus.

I see. That makes it worse than Zika then.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Meet, Líng Bìngrén.

(零病人)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Reuter’s headline this morning kept this in perspective.

quote:
Pandemic fears grow as China virus toll rises to nine

Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Just logged on... Am I panicking yet? Lol. Para, you still holding on?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

quote:

Roll Eyes

Maybe. But the Chinese lie by reflex.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
What do you mean get here? Coronavirus is a common virus thoughout the world. A few schools are temporarily closed each year due to their outbreak here in the U.S. and susceptibility is a function of the strain type vs. one's immune system memory/strength.
It's nothing new.

Corona can be as common as RSV , which most children have been exposed to. Corona can also be the SARS strain, which has a fairly high mortality rate.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
What do you mean get here? Coronavirus is a common virus thoughout the world. A few schools are temporarily closed each year due to their outbreak here in the U.S. and susceptibility is a function of the strain type vs. one's immune system memory/strength.
It's nothing new.

Corona can be as common as RSV , which most children have been exposed to. Corona can also be the SARS strain, which has a fairly high mortality rate.

Here we go... did you read the entire thread? Where are the SARS-like numbers with this latest outbreak? Are we supposed to run around scared, which the Press want, b/c a common virus rears itself, one w/o a significant deleterious phenotype? That’s the point against which some of us are making.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the SARS mortality rate has been cited as high as 10%. Miraculously the early 2000 rate in US was 0%, of course only 27 people got it. Go figure.

Link at The Hill

Similar to da 'bola. Mortality rates cited as high as 90% by WHO. Cases first diagnosed in US ever totals 4. One of those died, so a 25% rate but a sample size too small to be statistically valid. And that dead guy lied about his prior contact with the disease, so he sorta earned it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks, China.

Inside the Chinese lab poised to study world's most dangerous pathogens

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mAYIAM3WnKg

quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

quote:

Roll Eyes

Maybe. But the Chinese lie by reflex.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That guy has an agenda against the Chinese, similar to the lame stream media's agenda against Trump. Not to mention he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about when it comes to infectious disease transmission.