SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16504 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What about if you don't have hot water available nearby?

Are the cold-only models worth it too?

Cold isn't bad really. Far better than too hot.

I was highly skeptical of the bidet, but I've learned to appreciate it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17506 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Fact-Check: Obama Waited Until 'Millions' Infected and 1000 Dead in U.S. Before Declaring H1N1 Emergency

"Let's call it Trumpvirus," urged a New York Times opinion writer conspiratorially. Nancy Pelosi groused that President Trump waited too long to attack the coronavirus (COVID-19) and then impetuously declared he couldn't have leftover and unspent Ebola virus money to fight it, while Senator Chuck Schumer looked down his nose and over his glasses to intone that it was the end of the world and the president hadn't spent enough money to stop the scourge. Joe Biden and Michael Bloomberg have both been called out for politicizing the virus.

By their lights, Trump's doing it all wrong. They won't be able to tell you why, but (stomps foot) they just know. They're praying for a pandemic filled with infected people and decimation of the stock market just to fix Trump's wagon in his re-election campaign, now that the whole Russian-secret-agent and peeing-hooker story went belly-up.

They just know that he's such a dummy that it wouldn't ever occur to him to stop air travel from an infected nation, increase screenings, involuntarily quarantine those infected with the virus when they were repatriated and seek a vaccine now.

Oh, wait, he has done all of those things and was called a racist for doing it.

We've had several creepy viruses emerge over the past two decades. There's been MRSA, SARS, and H1N1 (swine flu), to name a few. But it's been the H1N1 flu that has been most compared to this outbreak.

Surely, St. Barack of Obama would have dealt with this horrible pandemic better than Orange Man Bad, right? No-Drama-Obama had this whole thing under control, of course!

Well, let's compare and contrast.

The American Journal of Clinical Pathology reports that this coronavirus (COVID-19) was first seen in late December:

On December 30, 2019, scientists in China "a cluster of patients with pneumonia of unknown etiology was observed in Wuhan, China, and reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) China bureau in Beijing. A week later, January 7, 2020, a new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) was isolated from these patients."

As we suspect, the Chinese government tried to keep the virus outbreak secret – for what reason we don't know. What we do know, however, is that by January 31, 2020, President Trump had declared a public health emergency and began restricting U.S. access to non-citizens from China. Flights filled with U.S. citizens who were in Wuhan were brought to America and those people were quarantined on U.S. military bases for two weeks.

Though he lamented being called a "racist" for doing so, Trump says if he hadn't hardened the U.S. borders at that point, the virus would have had gained a bigger foothold in the country.

Now, let's go to the Wayback Machine. In April of 2009, the H1N1 became a pandemic.

But it wasn't until six months later, October, that then-President Obama declared a public health emergency on what was already a pandemic. By that time, the disease had infected millions of Americans and more than 1,000 people had died in the U.S.

CNN reported at the time:

Since the H1N1 flu pandemic began in April, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Furthermore, the CDC's Frieden fretted at the time that efforts to create a vaccine had stumbled:

"We are nowhere near where we thought we would be," Frieden said, acknowledging that manufacturing delays have contributed to less vaccine being available than expected. "As public health professionals, vaccination is our strongest tool. Not having enough is frustrating to all of us."

Frieden said that while the way vaccine is manufactured is "tried and true," it's not well-suited for ramping up production during a pandemic because it takes at least six months. The vaccine is produced by growing weakened virus in eggs.

But wait, there's more.

According to Virology Journal, the 2009 H1N1 came into the U.S. from Mexico:

The swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus that appeared in 2009 and was first found in human beings in Mexico, is a reassortant with at least three parents. Six of the genes are closest in sequence to those of H1N2 'triple-reassortant' influenza viruses isolated from pigs in North America around 1999-2000.
Now, about that "racist" wall ...

Every time the Left tries to make Trump look bad on this issue they're found to be frauds.

In fact, by 2015, Obama was back trying to counter a new H1N1 outbreak in the country.

Democrats have weaponized the virus stories to get Trump. Of course they have.

But for the sake of argument, can we all stipulate that it would be really nice if we could just get humans to stop sleeping with pigs, kissing birds, and eating live bats so we wouldn't have to deal with this?

https://pjmedia.com/trending/f...ring-h1n1-emergency/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3802 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I compromise and use baby wipes. I prefer them. Spray splashes.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
She doesn't want to carry one, just to use it from time to time.

Yep. Been there, done that.

When she got into the habit of using my knife and flashlight regularly, I bought her a knife and light of her own. Which she promptly lost.

Back to borrowing mine.

We actually found the flashlight a few months ago, when she was cleaning out her closet and bagging up some stuff for donation to Goodwill. It had been missing for almost a decade.

The knife is still nowhere to be found.

Man, sorry to hear that. Mine picked out a knife she liked and I bought it for. She liked a flashlight I bought her one in the color she liked. If she gets caught without her purse, she might ask my to cut something for her, but she doesn’t ask to borrow the knife. I like it that way. Now if I could just convince her to carry all the time...

Posts: 6961 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yep, now the media claims there are two diagnosed cases here in Florida.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/n...tive-for-coronavirus

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Just in time for Spring Break.....................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4610 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top adviser to Iranian supreme leader Khamenei dies of coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/...dies-of-coronavirus/

A close adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei died Monday of the coronavirus at the age of 71.

Expediency Council member Mohammad Mirmohammadi died at a Tehran hospital, becoming the first top official to succumb to the illness in the Islamic Republic, which has the highest death toll outside China.

As of Monday, 66 people have died of COVID-19 in Iran, where there are more than 1,500 confirmed cases.

Other key officials who have come down with the illness are Masoumeh Ebtekar, a vice president better known as “Sister Mary,” who served as spokeswoman for the students who seized the US Embassy in Tehran in 1979.

Also ailing is Iraj Harirchi, the head of a government task force on the coronavirus who initially tried to downplay the virus.

Posts: 12846 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Second person died at Evergreen Hospital just south of me. My Costco has sold over $5mil over the last 5 days. It has been MUCH busier than any holiday season. Toilet paper and water is trucked in each day, and sells in hours. Several schools in the area are closed. Things are getting pretty panicky around here.

Posts: 10005 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Expediency Council ...

Does the Supreme Ayatollah claim Allah wants x but the Expediency Council says "Too hard. Screw that. Do y instead."?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31577 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
A close adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei died Monday of the coronavirus at the age of 71

Lets hope he was SUPER close over the last couple of weeks Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15701 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Update from my brother who’s a doctor if anyone is interested. The deaths may be outdated but the salient points are valid.

SARS-COVID-19 Update

As the Covid-19 outbreak increases, we're seeing more countries drop on the travel advisory list. An outbreak ocurred in Washington state this weekend and the first novel virus-associated death in the US was recorded.

The CDC reports 87,000 cases worldwide, 80,000 of which are in China. Briefly, this virus shares similarities to the SARS-COV and MERS-COV viruses, All of which are coronaviruses. This is a very large and common virus family, species are seeing both humans and other animals. Rarely is there a spread from an animal to humans but this has occurred in the previous two coronavirus infections above. Interestingly, all three viruses have origins in bats.

This new virus was initially identified in the Hubei province of China in WuHan city. Originally connected to a seafood and live animal market in the city of WuHan, the virus is thought to have changed from animal to human transmission to person to person transmission.
On January 30 of 2020 the WHO declared a “public health emergency of international concern.” And on January 31 the US health and human services declared a public health emergency.

The complete clinical picture of covert 19, it’s timeline and severely are not fully known, however reported cases have been from mild to severe, with most deaths occurring in those individuals with extremes of age, extremely young or elderly, or those individuals with multiple comorbidities, chronic illnesses or decreased immune function. In the United States, the current risk of exposure to US citizens is still considered low.

Symptoms usually occur 2 to 14 days after exposure, and major symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath. in other words, like almost every other viral infection.
To put things into perspective, there were 8098 cases of SARS and 774 deaths. That was a 9.6% chance of death. Influenza occurs throughout the world in yearly outbreaks and affects between three and 5 million individuals with a severe illness each year, resulting in about 300,000 to 650,000 deaths per year.

Although this new virus is considered more contagious and more deadly than the influenza virus, I want to emphasize that that does appear to be only in patients who are severely ill, With underlying comorbidities, chronic illnesses, and extremes of age.

The virus is thought to spread in similar patterns to other coronaviruses and the recommended method for decreasing risk of transmission is frequent handwashing, wearing a surgical mask is also useful. Staying approximately 6 feet away from infected individuals, covering your mouth and nose from nasal and respiratory secretions, and washing surfaces will also decrease risk of spread.

At this time there’s no vaccine or cure. However staying in good health, sleeping appropriately, exercising well, staying hydrated will help not only with this particular coronavirus but any viral infection. At this point we still don’t know everything about the disease, but I would go about my daily life and not be deeply concerned. Treat this like any other virus or viral infection. This is just the media’s new zombie apocalypse story which causes a frenzy across all walks of life.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
KIRO radio is saying that public health officials in Washington believe the virus has been here for at least six weeks.

My son’s bus driver was wearing a hospital mask this morning. The other parents at the stop were saying there was a line down the street to get into Costco yesterday morning. One lady said it looked like the whole town was there. The panic is real here, and having a school in our tiny town shut down “for sterilization” has got people extra freaked out.

Posts: 17358 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So fed up with this hysteria. Every new case now in the U.S. is breaking news. It's nuts. I pray to God when it's time for me to fly home at the end of the week that things somewhat normalize. And hopefully I'll still be able to buy toilet paper. Roll Eyes If all else fails, I'll just use the New York Times.

Hopefully the stock Market continues to rebound all week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30608 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
So fed up with this hysteria. Every new case now in the U.S. is breaking news. It's nuts. I pray to God when it's time for me to fly home at the end of the week that things somewhat normalize. And hopefully I'll still be able to buy toilet paper. Roll Eyes If all else fails, I'll just use the New York Times.

Hopefully the stock Market continues to rebound all week.

Have you started panic buying whiskey yet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20928 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Have you started panic buying whiskey yet?

I have not. But that's only because I haven't been home in weeks. Glad you brought this up. Going to send the wife out to buy out the local liquor store of Knob Creek.

Whiskey and TP. I'll be all set.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30608 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Stock up on Wet Wipes. Unscented for me and mine, scented for trade or barter. That way me or the dogs can smell them coming. Big Grin

Posts: 4001 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bike Week starts this weekend, wonder how it will affect attendance...

Posts: 23779 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Top adviser to Iranian supreme leader Khamenei dies of coronavirus.
Hmmm, so by simple extrapolation....

- Advisor dies of coronavirus
- Dem's blame Trump for coronavirus
- Trump killed advisor

More WINNING!

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Bike Week starts this weekend, wonder how it will affect attendance...
The dudes that go to Bike Week? Ya kiddin' right? The virus is likely terrified of these dudes. Smile