SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
But I think I’m going to mask up and glove up for the flight. I don’t care what people think.

Don't forget the anti-bacterial wipes for the drop-down tray, it is perhaps the dirtiest item on the plane, other than toilets.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16820 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Well, here is an interesting take on containing the Carona Virus: From the IB Times:

In what appears to be a rather drastic measure to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19), North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un allegedly sanctioned the execution of the first North Korean patient that tested positive for the deadly strain of the virus.

This is from Reuters:
Reuters
Earlier last week, reports had suggested that a North Korean trade official was shot dead for leaving coronavirus quarantine to visit a public bath. According to South Korean media, the victim, who had returned to the country after a visit to China, was executed for risking the spread of the deadly virus.

So in North Korea, I guess the plan is to shoot anyone who has any flu symptoms. That should definitely slow down the spread of the virus in North Korea.

Maybe you read the above paragraph differently, but to me it looks like he was executed not for having symptoms but for leaving quarantine to visit a public bath. Execution is pretty steep, but leaving quarantine when you are sick and going to a public place is not a particularly cool move.[/QUOTE]
That's how I initially read it, too, but I think the actual patient and the executed official were two different people. But more to the point, apparently this story is as yet unconfirmed (even though the article says, "confirmed").[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------

It was definitely two different people. It was from two different articles from a publication that follows Korean affairs.

Posts: 1059 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Oregon has identified its first case. The school district he worked at has closed the school pending decontamination.

https://www.kptv.com/news/lake...ea-4f829055a50a.html

The person is being treated at a hospital ~5 miles from my home.

Costco today was overrun, not a single shopping cart to be found. I'd post a photo but that's too much work. I parked behind the store in the employee lot. Got my slice of pizza. Smile

Posts: 1038 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Local Costco was totally out of Toilet paper. none to be found.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11003 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Is this Paul Harvey time? And now the rest of the story.......

Posts: 17362 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I noticed that at Sams Club Thursday night too... Not totally out, but about half of the TP sections were bare.

We haven't really had runs on groceries around here yet, but apparently TP is going quickly?

Posts: 32646 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gents, I’m supposed to be going to Hawaii in a month to surf. Should I be concerned with this? I’m sure anyone doing any kind of travel in the cocoon might be concerned. I’m not so much worried about it on the island but on the plane makes me worry. Or is this the liberal media making everyone hysterical?

I use a corny trick a PT friend gave me when I fly commercial - Take antibiotic ointment like bacitracin or neosporin (if you don’t have common allergy to neomycin), squirt some on a Q-tip and wipe it around the inside of your nostril. Turn it around goop up the other end and hit your other nostril. You now have a sticky physical barrier to stop people’s funk from getting to you through your sinuses and an antibiotic effect too.

I dunno if it works, but I’ve not gotten sick on a flight since I started doing it. Nope, I don’t fly commercial enough for that to mean much statistically, but it doesn’t appear to hurt anything either.

Posts: 6954 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Gents, I’m supposed to be going to Hawaii in a month to surf. Should I be concerned with this? I’m sure anyone doing any kind of travel in the cocoon might be concerned. I’m not so much worried about it on the island but on the plane makes me worry. Or is this the liberal media making everyone hysterical?

I use a corny trick a PT friend gave me when I fly commercial - Take antibiotic ointment like bacitracin or neosporin (if you don’t have common allergy to neomycin), squirt some on a Q-tip and wipe it around the inside of your nostril. Turn it around goop up the other end and hit your other nostril. You now have a sticky physical barrier to stop people’s funk from getting to you through your sinuses and an antibiotic effect too.

I dunno if it works, but I’ve not gotten sick on a flight since I started doing it. Nope, I don’t fly commercial enough for that to mean much statistically, but it doesn’t appear to hurt anything either.

I'm not sure antibiotics will be very helpful against a virus like the flu or the coronavirus. But i suppose it will act as a barrier of some sort. One still has to breath though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We haven't really had runs on groceries around here yet

^^^^^
Yeah interesting word choice here referring to the runs.

Posts: 17362 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
We haven't really had runs on groceries around here yet, but apparently TP is going quickly?

My Costco sold a semi load of toilet paper in under two hours. Lots of things out of stock, selling more than the holiday season.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two cases of coronavirus found in Washington nursing home

https://www.washingtonexaminer...hington-nursing-home

A skilled nursing facility in Washington state reported that at least two people have the coronavirus, and state officials say other residents are reporting similar respiratory symptoms.

The development, reported on Saturday, is particularly worrisome because scientists say that coronavirus can be far worse in people who are older and who have underlying health problems. Nursing homes, in particular, face the prospect of widespread illness because people are in close quarters and regularly receive visitors and require the help of healthcare staff.

One health worker at the nursing home, who is in her 40s, was found to have the virus. The other infected person is a 70-year-old resident. State officials said another 27 residents of the nursing home and 25 staff are reporting symptoms similar to COVID-19, which involve fever, cough, and difficulty of breathing.

A third person died from the illness, known as COVID-19, in the state, but was not connected to the facility. The patient who died was a male in his 50s who had severe underlying health issues, officials said. He was a patient at EvergreenHealth Hospital, and while it's not clear where the patient became infected, officials said it did not appear he got the virus while he was at the hospital or that the man had a connection to Life Care.

"At the present time, we do not see a connection between the two, but there are some evolving threats that are being investigated," said Dr. Frank Riedo, medical director of Infection Control at EvergreenHealth. The man's family was informed that they risked getting infected, and healthcare workers are following up with them, Riedo said.

The nursing home with the outbreak is called Life Care Center and is located in Kirkland. It has 108 residents and 180 staff.

Jeffrey Duchin, health officer for Seattle and King County, said he would "not be surprised" if more cases are reported. The state reported two other cases on Friday evening, one in a person who hadn't traveled outside the United States and who wasn't aware of coming in contact with anyone infected. He stressed that people should be washing their hands and staying home if they felt sick.

"We know we can't stop it," Duchin said. "It's here, and it's going to be here with us in the U.S. for quite a while, but we can reduce our risk."

Dr. Kathy Lofy, a state health officer, said that if the outbreak worsens, then officials may recommend canceling large public events. "We don't feel that is the situation we are in now," she said.

"We do not feel such a risk that transmission is occurring on a widespread basis by any means," Lofy added.

The risk of coronavirus infection to most people in the U.S. remains low, and most people who get infected don't have severe symptoms, but the risks and severity are far worse among residents in the home and among people in similar circumstances. People with underlying illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, and respiratory symptoms are particularly susceptible to having a severe illness and to being at risk of death, Dr. Tony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a press conference Saturday.

The governor of Washington, Jay Inslee, declared a state of emergency on Saturday.

Posts: 12824 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:

My Costco sold a semi load of toilet paper in under two hours. Lots of things out of stock, selling more than the holiday season.

Idiots around here have been raiding the toilet paper and water.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3984 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well corncobs and old catalogues will be the next to go.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I noticed that at Sams Club Thursday night too... Not totally out, but about half of the TP sections were bare.

I'm really confused. Of all things, WHY toilet paper???

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We bought a couple 12-packs (?) of TP at a Mejier store three days ago. Still was plenty on the shelves at the time. We were at a Costco just day-before-yesterday. Didn't look like a bunch of "the sky is falling" shopping going on. *shrug*

As I noted earlier: We're stocked-up more heavily than we are normally, but not crazy, TEOTWAWKI-like. Pretty much like we did as y2k approached.

I'm not so sure some shelves getting sparse on some products necessarily implies mindless panic. Consider: Stores adjust their stocking levels and ordering based on historical consumer purchasing patterns. All it would take is enough people like my wife and I to decide to give themselves a bit of "cushion," just in case, to run stores a bit low.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We are in the Kansas suburbs of KC on a short vacation because the kids were off school Friday. From the parking garage, the hotel is pretty empty, but there are busloads of tweens and teens here on some trip. This morning they ravaged the breakfast like a herd of locusts, not covering their coughs, putting back plates they had on their hands. My paranoia meter and the chemtrails have me sensing coughs more. All the mouthbreathers need to cover their damn coughs or we are all going to die!

Having toddler children, I usually catch everything from them anyway.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Also, we stopped at Truman NHS in Independence on Friday. As the kids were getting their Junior Ranger badge at closing time I noticed a N95 mask new in package sitting on the counter, I assumed it had just been passed out to the ranger. With maybe 6-12 people an hour going through that place, it will be The Vector for the contagion in Missouri.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

I'm really confused. Of all things, WHY toilet paper???

Because the shit is about to hit he fan, duh Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Help me out here, please. Am I wrong about this?

The CDC predicts 18,000 - 46,000 deaths in the US from the flu virus this year alone. And people can't be bothered to even get their free flu vaccination shot. It seems to me the media is the amping us all to total hysteria.

Am I right? Or am I missing something that makes this respiratory virus more insidious?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/...season-estimates.htm

Posts: 11405 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Help me out here, please. Am I wrong about this?

The CDC predicts 18,000 - 46,000 deaths in the US from the flu virus this year alone. And people can't be bothered to even get their free flu vaccination shot. It seems to me the media is the amping us all to total hysteria.

Am I right? Or am I missing something that makes this respiratory virus more insidious?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/...season-estimates.htm

Its such a convoluted mess. I don't fully trust the CDC either. Flu deaths are included with all strains of influenza, influenza like illness and pnuemonia. So that makes the corona virus seem not imortant. But I am sure it will matter tho the 10s of thousands who get it and the thousands that die from it.

I usually don't get the flu vaccine but I did this year. Of course that is only one strain and may or may not help you!!!

Posts: 7819 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post