SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will be many, many more things like this happen because of these “lockdowns”. Aka, unforeseen consequences

^^^^^^^^
One thing that I am seeing is people are so frightened they are putting off necessary medical tests such as echocardiograms, chest X rays etc. We all know the consequences of not getting needed tests. Most physician's offices remain very slow.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
3 hours before PA’s stay at home lockdown order was set to expire, Emperor Tom Wolf extended it until JUNE 4TH.

My pregnant wife is spitting nails angry and may actually go get in her car, drive to Harrisburg, track this assclown down and beat the living shit out of him herself.

^^^^^
OK I get that you and your family are quite upset over the lockdown. What part of the lockdown bothers you the most?? Are you suffering economic harm from long term unemployment, is it governmental tryanny, lack of freedom? Or just venting??

My two little boys are really starting to act out and have a hard time. There are no parks and playgrounds to go play at, they can’t be around their friends, we aren’t even supposed to be having family get togethers which we haven’t really adhered to as we still let the boys see their Nana and Pops (my wife’s parents). We need to buy a van soon, not allowed to do that. My wife and boys desperately need haircuts, can’t do that. Luckily I still have my job, and have a work from home schedule now except Wednesday’s where I must stand in front of a thermal imaging camera with a guard who scans me before I can proceed, then I have to wear a mask at all times inside the facility.

It’s just the way this asshole keeps extending this state shutdown/lockdown each time the deadline comes up that really pisses me off. I’m just glad I’m not a realtor; the real estate industry in the state of PA is completely DEAD since March 19th, realtors are NOT allowed to do anything in this state, not even virtually or over the phone.

Our state is fucked, and that was the plan all along. Crash it hard and ensure Trump does not win it again in order to win the election (we put him over the top in 2016).
Frown

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^
OK I get that you and your family are quite upset over the lockdown. What part of the lockdown bothers you the most?? Are you suffering economic harm from long term unemployment, is it governmental tryanny, lack of freedom? Or just venting??
Forgive me for interjecting here, but I think its the same thing we're seeing virtually everywhere across the entire country. The masses (i.e. us) are about fed up with incredibly unimpressive and incompetent bureaucrats, drunk on power, F-ing up everything they touch and refusing to allow people to return to their lives, even when the 'science' doesn't support their retarded decisions. Personally, I think the public's approach in all of these states should be the same. Huge majorities of the public should give their elected morons the big middle finger as they head back to work and their lives, assuming that is even possible at this point.

But it is rather interesting that two of the states most hellbent on destroying the lives of their residents are Michigan and Pennsylvania, two of the three states that gave Trump the oval office in 2016. I'm sure that's just a coincidence. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK that makes it clearer. Is a short road trip out of the state possible? You really need a break from all of that.

Obviously Mississippi is too far to travel. Our 28 mile sand beach opened last weekend, restaurants opened again today with 50 percent occupancy and retail businesses are opening with restrictions. New Orleans in contrast is pretty locked down since they were a hot spot.

I took a big financial hit with my business, but it will recover it time. Hang in there, and make sure Wolf is not reelected.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We will see many small to medium independent hospitals fold or be acquired by large health systems. This is bad for those communities as they become feeder helipads. Local care is lost.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will see many small to medium independent hospitals fold or be acquired by large health systems. This is bad for those communities as they become feeder helipads. Local care is lost.

^^^^^^^^^^
This trend has been in the works for a long time. It started here locally with the acqusition of physician practices, and has morphed into larger and larger acquisitons. There are still small practices in these rural communities that take care of day to day needs. Typically those practices are run by older independent physicians who are not solely focussed on making lots of money. They will continue to exist here in Mississippi for some time. Local care in a rural hospital setting has generally been less than adequate for quite some time.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hang in there, and make sure Wolf is not reelected.

Tom Wolf is 2 years into his second and final term, PA governors are term limited to two terms. That’s why he doesn’t give a F#CK and is so out of control. Oh and PA doesn’t have a recall provision either. Mad

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
ZS, Rouge,

My little Drs office has been acquired by some medical group (Privera or something) been going to the same place for 25+ years. Went from a small practice of a couple of Drs to 8-9 and a couple dozen nurses and in-house LabCorp. Luckily my Dr has stayed and I still get the same-ish care I have always gotten. All urgent care and hospitals in the area are part of big companies.

There is definitely a consolidation been going on for a while, small practices or hospitals can't survive this I don't think.

I think we will see the same with family owned businesses of all types. How many delis will never reopen? How many pizzerias?

This shit is going to ruin small and medium businesses. Even one of my companies customers that is a nation wide store in most malls has announced they won't reopen. This stuff is going to accelerate the death of big restaurants and department stores.

There is nothing good coming out of these lockdowns.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The Leftist Tyrants are drunk with power - hopefully this is a good real life "demonstration" of how things can start to do sideways in short order and why we, as a people, need to stand up for our freedoms.

Because the Left has gotten a good lesson on 'what works to cow the people into submission' - and that is health / safety / nanny state nonsense.

They will certainly try it again and again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The Leftist Tyrants are drunk with power ....
They will certainly try it again and again.

1,000% this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Our local hospital which is independent will most certainly be one of them. They are an island surrounded by large systems.

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
She just closed all state parks until late June. Apparently people were caught last weekend enjoying the 70+ weather. Punishment delivered.

Won't be a problem as we won't be camping in Michigan. Public and private campgrounds are closed in Ohio as well. We can stop at a Wal-Mart in Ohio if we have to, but the plan is to get through Ohio to Ann Arbor where my wife and two younger kids will be. The 5th wheel has an 18cuft fridge so I can bring quite a lot of food up. I wanted to leave it home, since Cedar Point isn't happening for us this year. On the other hand, I wasn't sure how to carry 4 kayaks, 5 bicycles, and all the rest of our stuff for the summer in the truck alone. Plus, we have guests coming up this summer and our house is only 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, so the extra space would be good.

I wonder how closing the state parks affects the boat ramps in the state parks? I also have to wonder how it affects the ATV trails in the Black Mountain Recreation Area?

You should probably review the dozens of Executive orders and see what is allowed and what isn't. I'm not sure if out of state guests have to quarantine for 14 days or not.

If state parks are closed all facilities are closed.

It is currently illegal to gather with anyone you don't currently live with at your primary residence. So by current law you could not see your parents or your guests.

You are still not allowed to go anywhere that is not essential for sustaining life under the 'stay at home orders'. You can take walks, ride a bike, and use kayak, canoe, or boat with a motor provided you can launch it. However if we irritate her she may cancel those privileges.
If you participate in any of those activities you must stay 6' apart.

I believe that her orders also state that you are only supposed to visit 2nd properties for maintenance or upkeep purposes, not for recreation.

Confused? So are we and that seems to be the goal of her orders.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My little Drs office has been acquired by some medical group (Privera or something) been going to the same place for 25+ years. Went from a small practice of a couple of Drs to 8-9 and a couple dozen nurses and in-house LabCorp. Luckily my Dr has stayed and I still get the same-ish care I have always gotten. All urgent care and hospitals in the area are part of big companies.

There is definitely a consolidation been going on for a while, small practices or hospitals can't survive this I don't think.

I think we will see the same with family owned businesses of all types. How many delis will never reopen? How many pizzerias?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I survived the last consolidation which took place after Katrina. Lots of places went out of business for good, lots of the doctors sold their practices to the hospital 15 years ago. I managed to create a niche market for myself and have actually prospered. It was not easy. My business took a huge hit with the lockdown even though my business was considered essential. Currently there is GREAT opportunity if you can survive. I can move a lot faster than a huge hospital chain or large practice. I developed and marketed skills which are in demand. The stock market presents another opportunity if you play it smart. The skills of an electrician are not going away. Having an optimistic attitude helps.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Michigan just got 2 more weeks added to our sentence. Memorial Day is now wrecked state wide.

3 hours before PA’s stay at home lockdown order was set to expire, Emperor Tom Wolf extended it until JUNE 4TH.

My pregnant wife is spitting nails angry and may actually go get in her car, drive to Harrisburg, track this assclown down and beat the living shit out of him herself. Eek

I'm pretty phuckin mad as well!! Bring on the next protest, PLEASE!!

Gov is cooking the numbers to fit their agenda, established very distant goals, and it's all for nothing. There's not going to be a vaccine anytime soon. It's going to be something the great majority of us will be exposed to whenever we get out of the house. Contact tracing is nearly useless when it's now shown to be far more prevalent than first thought. It's already everywhere!!!

It's nowhere near overwhelming us here (yes I know it's a serious illness). Few pages back I posted Tower Health laid off 1000 woorkers! We've bent the curve, now you go and get BENT GOV!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Sweden sees a downturn in active cases, mostly because a little over 3,000 were listed as recovered three days ago. There have been weekly spikes of that category, which makes me think it's mostly administrative declarations of people having completed their quarantine periods. And maybe the uneven drop of the active case curve over the last three days is just temporary - Brazil had two of those, but infections there are still skyrocketing. But coupled with reports that the Swedish reproduction rate dropped under 1 the previous week it's certainly encouraging.

Meanwhile Russia, which has been pushing agitprop about Western governments failing to handle the crisis adequately and pulled PR stunts like deploying military NBC units to Italy for aid, overtook both Germany and France in total case count yesterday; at the current clip, they will surpass the UK and Italy in six days. One has to say that their per capita infection rate is still much lower than in any of those other countries, and their death rate even lower - suspiciously so, really. Even assuming that they profit from the experience of others, like intubation sometimes doing more harm than good, the latter numbers are probably no more trustworthy than those from China.

Posts: 2461 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^
This trend has been in the works for a long time. It started here locally with the acqusition of physician practices, and has morphed into larger and larger acquisitons. There are still small practices in these rural communities that take care of day to day needs. Typically those practices are run by older independent physicians who are not solely focussed on making lots of money. They will continue to exist here in Mississippi for some time. Local care in a rural hospital setting has generally been less than adequate for quite some time.

Yes, this trend started long before, the Corona crisis just accelerated it. One if the effects of Obamacare was increasing costs for rural hospitals. With the additional access to healthcare that many didn't have before, admin costs and making electronic charting mandatory, the costs for rural healthcare facilities increased significantly.

So there has been a lot of consolidation, spreading the costs out over several more hospitals. Unfortunately a lot of rural hospitals have closed and many have reduced services. This sucks if you're a patient out in the sticks. Instead of being treated locally, you're more likely to be stabilized locally and then transported to a hospital in, "The Big City". This increases costs and delays care considerably.

It's not just in rural healthcare that consolidation and closing of hospitals has been going on. One of the reasons that listening to Cuomo make my blood boil. In New York City due to state budget cuts to medicaid, 20 hospitals have closed and 20,000 hospital bed have been lost. That's not reported in the media. Instead Cuomo is their darling standing up to Trump and bears no responsibility for what happened in NYC. I honestly have to ask if those hospitals were still open, would the healthcare system in NYC have been overwhelmed?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11888 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Some god news in Massachusetts. A judge declared gun stores must be opened. Basically said our governor’s closure put an undue burden on constitutional rights.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-rules-idUSKBN22J2KL

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I agree with this officer 100%, especially what he hits on at roughly 3:45.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with this officer! Being retired LEO (but still sworn) I've been watching my, and the other local departments and luckily have not seen any of these instances occurring like have happened elsewhere.
If people's rights continue to be trampled on by these politicians and petty tryants....there will be a point reached where people will not tolerate it any longer.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^

But it is rather interesting that two of the states most hellbent on destroying the lives of their residents are Michigan and Pennsylvania, two of the three states that gave Trump the oval office in 2016. I'm sure that's just a coincidence. Roll Eyes

The Dem governors have a scorched earth policy on their state's economy. Yes, it's punishment for voting the wrong way. Imagine if these clowns controlled your health care?

Dems would rather have absolute power of smouldering ruins than share power over a functioning country.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post