SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Well the Supreme Court declined to get involved in the legal challenge to Pennsylvania’s dictatorial dickhead Governor Tom Wolf, who I think is second only to Gretchen Whitmer in terms of brutality with these EO’s and lockdown orders.

I now fully expect to be under house arrest until next year at the very least. This asshole is determined to destroy Pennsylvania in order to ensure Trump does not win the state, which is crucial, it put him over the top in 2016.

The sense of despair about being able to do anything is growing. Confused

FYI, Mainline independent schools are already talking about the distinct possibility that shithead won't let us back to school in the rest of 2020.

Imagine that: starting a school year with brand new children...online.

I have been ready to see Wolf hanging from a lamp post for a while, but that sense is growing ever stronger.

I just cannot understand how this can or will stand. It's become absolutely surreal now.

Posts: 10192 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

That struck me as weird when I first saw it, but I can only think that they want to wait to see what long term effects the disease may have on people. I’ve mentioned that issue before, but otherwise it’s been ignored.

I would expect the policy to be reversed in time, but I can see how the military forces don’t want a bunch of people who can’t pass the PT test a year from now and who will be blaming it on COVID-19.

(Yeah, I know: Who cares? Someone could get hit by a car or get shot when Boko Haram attacks the local 7-11 and be jacked up worse than losing 30% of his lung function; it’s just a matter of fate, and three scenarios = 33% likelihood for each—right? Roll Eyes )

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47680 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Why? People still need to be hired, fired, and paid.

quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
With a bunch of people working from home, companies are soon going to realize there could be a savings by doing away with middle-managers

A lot of HR folks may suddenly become unnecessary as well, which would be a good thing in my opinion.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I just read that the woman in Texas who was jailed for trying to keep her livelihood afloat was released on Gov. Abbott's order.
This is great news and I hope in emboldens more to thwart this tyranny.

That’s not what happened yesterday (Wednesday). First, Ms. Luther was technically jailed for civil contempt of court, or more accurately, not bowing down to and kissing the ring of a notoriously egotistical Dallas civil district court judge. What Governor Abbott did was amend his original statewide order to make punishment for violating it “fine only” with no jail time, and while he made it retroactive, there’s a catch in this case because in most states—-including Texas—-a governor cannot simply order that a person in jail be freed for a contempt of court charge.

Today (Thursday), just before 11:00 Dallas time, the Texas Supreme Court (which is the civil counterpart to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals), issued an order for her release no later than 4:00 p.m. today.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and that affects only arrests made after the order takes effect.

The article that I read said he made the order retro-active to specifically include her which would cause the Texas Supreme Court to take that action.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There's a lot or long standing legal precedent giving the government wide latitude to deal with epidemics. Remember, a lot of this country's history predated modern medicine, and the only way to control an epidemic was to impose what we're now calling a lockdown. They were probably even more draconian back then. They got run up the flagpole, and since there was nothing else that could be done, the courts went along. Those ruling are now valid precedent.

quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Well the Supreme Court declined to get involved in the legal challenge to Pennsylvania’s dictatorial dickhead Governor Tom Wolf, who I think is second only to Gretchen Whitmer in terms of brutality with these EO’s and lockdown orders.

I now fully expect to be under house arrest until next year at the very least. This asshole is determined to destroy Pennsylvania in order to ensure Trump does not win the state, which is crucial, it put him over the top in 2016.

The sense of despair about being able to do anything is growing. Confused

FYI, Mainline independent schools are already talking about the distinct possibility that shithead won't let us back to school in the rest of 2020.

Imagine that: starting a school year with brand new children...online.

I have been ready to see Wolf hanging from a lamp post for a while, but that sense is growing ever stronger.

I just cannot understand how this can or will stand. It's become absolutely surreal now.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
quote:
and that affects only arrests made after the order takes effect.

The article that I read said he made the order retro-active to include her.

As snoris said above, she was actually jailed for contempt of court, not for violating the order.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So it's based on a survey, which is basically a poll, but -

quote:
A 'Shocking' Two-Thirds Of Patients Recently Hospitalized In NY Had Been Staying Home
David K. Li, NBC News, 5/6/2020

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednsday that a survey showed that a "shocking" two-thirds of patients recently hospitalized for coronavirus became infected despite largely staying at home.

Hospitals were asked to document where their most recent COVID-19 patients had been staying before admission, Cuomo said, and 66 percent came from their own homes.

About 18 percent came from nursing homes, 4 percent from assisted-living facilities, 2 percent were homeless, 2 percent had been at other "congregate" settings, fewer than 1 percent were prison or jail inmates, and 8 percent were classified as "other".

"This is a surprise," the governor told reporters at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research in Manhasset, New York. "Sixty-six percent of the people were at home, which is shocking to us."

The data came from 113 hospitals reporting information on patients being treated over three recent days, according to state health officials.

"They're not working, they're not traveling," Cuomo said of these recently hospitalized coronavirus patients. "We were thinking that maybe we were going to find a higher percentage of essential employees who were getting sick because they were going to work - that these may be nurses, doctors, transit workers. That's not the case. They were predominantly at home."

The state also reported that among these recently hospitalized patients, only 17 percent are currently employed, while 37 percent are retirees and 46 percent are unemployed.

"The largest group of us are still at home, so it's not surprising that the largest source (of recent hospitalizations) are people at home," Kumi Smith, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota, told NBC News.

"But if it turns out, it's (coronavirus) still getting into a lot of homes (of non-frontline workers), that then that percentage is interesting, it's troubling."

Gov. Cuomo said "personal behavior" could be an ultimate factor in staying safe from the virus.

"Much of this comes down to what you do to protect yourself," Cuomo said.

"Everything is closed down. Government has done everything it could. Society has done everything it could. Now, it's up to you. Are you wearing a mask? Are you doing the hand sanitizer? If you have younger people who are visiting you and may be out there and may be less diligent with ther social distancing. (sic - IC] Are you staying away from older people?"

At least another 232 New York State residents died in the past 24 hours from causes connected with COVID-19, Cuomo said, bringing the state's coronavirus death roll (again, sic - IC) total to more than 19,877.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/shoc...ently-200545019.html

Sooo, draconian social controls didn't work? Maybe it's time to re-examine how we're doing the whole shutdown thing.

Interesting, though, isn't it? Cuomo's big concern wasn't finding out how the coronavirus is affecting those who've sheltered in place. Instead, he wanted to make sure and say that government's done all it possibly can and that the blame for this should therefore be imputed to the people who are sick. You know, "blame the victims". Well, Andrew, maybe your thoughtless kneejerk control freak bullshit just doesn't work because it's only thoughtless kneejerk control freak bullshit!!!

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
According to Cuomo's graph, 18% (Nursing home) + 66% (home) + 4% (assisted living facility) = 88% who were NOT out in public. So yeah, lets lock everyone down! Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
In my haste to get my previous post up, I made a couple of goofs. It’s correct now. Sorry about that.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

That struck me as weird when I first saw it, but I can only think that they want to wait to see what long term effects the disease may have on people. <snip>

I would expect the policy to be reversed in time, but I can see how the military forces don’t want a bunch of people who can’t pass the PT test a year from now and who will be blaming it on COVID-19. <snip>

I agree. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns this early in the game but I think they will have to modify this at some point.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Meat is the new toilet paper . Frown

The past two trips to Aldi and their meat section was stripped bare and closed off except for a few stray packs of sausage. Now seeing reports of people paying $7 and higher A POUND for ground beef when they can even find it.

Ironically that same Aldi had a ton of toilet paper, something I’ve not seen since mid March.

Posts: 34544 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:

The past two trips to Aldi and their meat section was stripped bare and closed off except for a few stray packs of sausage. Now seeing reports of people paying $7 and higher A POUND for ground beef when they can even find it.

Ironically that same Aldi had a ton of toilet paper, something I’ve not seen since mid March.
It was likely that early on too. For about two weeks you had to be there when they restocked or you didn't get much fresh meat.

Posts: 10192 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's not like people couldn't see this coming down the 'pike. I started stocking up three weeks ago. Even got some decent prices.

The meatpacking plants are starting to open up again. I figure the shortages should be a month long, event.

quote:

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Michigan just got 2 more weeks added to our sentence. Memorial Day is now wrecked state wide.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The stores here are well stocked, with everything.

I actually brought home a couple of rolls of TP from my ship expecting the shortage to still be on. Nope, the shelves are overflowing with asswipe.

No shortage of meat at the moment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30905 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Michigan just got 2 more weeks added to our sentence. Memorial Day is now wrecked state wide.

How are the grocery stores stocked? My parents will be going up at the end of the month. My wife and 2 of our kids will be flying up June 4 while my eldest and I will be driving up the same day. We'll be going to our houses (parents' and ours on 20 acres) on Lake Huron between Rogers City and Cheboygan.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

How are the grocery stores stocked? My parents will be going up at the end of the month. My wife and 2 of our kids will be flying up June 4 while my eldest and I will be driving up the same day. We'll be going to our houses (parents' and ours on 20 acres) on Lake Huron between Rogers City and Cheboygan.

Bring your own meat, canned goods, bread, most frozen products, toilet paper and paper towels. Other than that... Fine.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
People are getting a bit hateful here in Possum Fart, VA. Hope Gov Coonman lifts restrictions soon. We can’t get any new hires because most people make more money sitting at home and corporate would rather go under than raise wages enough to encourage more applications. One guy that did apply failed his drug test. Mad

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
A little light but true humor:

Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post