SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Compared to the same 18 hour period last year, there was a spike in New Yorkers ingesting bleach or other household cleaners.

Last year during this timeframe 13 New Yorkers ingested household cleaner, where as this year 30 New Yorkers ingested household cleaners.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think this says more about New Yorkers than it says about President Trump.

A spike in New Yorkers ingesting household cleaners following Trump’s controversial coronavirus comments

If you're that fucking stupid to ingest bleach, society will be better off without you.

A spike suggests there is a baseline.....can't fix stupid

Well....guess you can....just drink bleach

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
In respectful response to Konsta

Cases keep climbing because we are starting to test more

Plenty of people had this disease and were denied a test for one reason or another. I can go into that more of you like

But reality is this:

There are a lot of people that were sick with this, didn’t need hospitalization, and so were not tested.....either because they didn’t meet one of the required comorbidities, or because tests were in short supply and so were saved for only the very sick

Because of this the actual number of people that have been infected with the disease since the beginning of this has been artificially depressed because we didn’t test everyone that might have had it

Now there are more tests. And most of the required comorbidities have been removed. So more of the people that aren’t desperately sick are being tested. So people that wouldn’t have previously been identified as being sick with this are now being discovered.

We also now know that you can be and remain asymptomatic and still spread the disease. So the disease doesn’t die out because it is passed along by people who don’t even know they are sick, potentially to other people who won’t know they’re sick, and so on and so forth until someone does get it and does get sick and get tested and identified. Then when they try and find out where they got it it’s nearly impossible to do because the person they got it from never got sick. So you would have to trace literally every potential contact the person had over the previous 10-14 days. With previous diseases like SARS and MERS it wasn’t really hard to trace the path of the disease because everybody that got it got sick...really sick in most cases with sars and mers so where someone got it from was pretty much obvious.

Then, because of that, and for many other reasons, you’re going to throw in serology testing to test antibodies. This will allow us to track potential immunity, and it will identify both the people that got sick but weren’t tested for a variety of reasons, and it will identify those people that got it and were asymptomatic, and even who currently have it and are asymptomatic.

That will also make the total case count increase.

That’s why, with all of this going online, a flat requirement that cases decrease for 14 days may not happen for a long long time. Not until we get the things I’ve just described to a point where they are up and effectively running at full capacity.

The people using these numbers to maintain tyrannical policies know all this and are using it to their advantage. If someone calls them on it they can say that the requirement is straight out of the policies outlined by the President (correctly, I might add) and that they are just following it. Which boxes folks like us into a position where we have to criticize a policy laid down by the president right before we want to get him re-elected

It’s a shit sandwich all the way around

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ebsitesharingbuttons

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3993 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Just people know what it's about:
Wolf Administration is Caught Adding Up to 269 Fake Coronavirus Deaths to State Totals the Day After Anti-Lockdown Protests in Pennsylvania

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Compared to the same 18 hour period last year, there was a spike in New Yorkers ingesting bleach or other household cleaners.

Last year during this timeframe 13 New Yorkers ingested household cleaner, where as this year 30 New Yorkers ingested household cleaners.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think this says more about New Yorkers than it says about President Trump.

A spike in New Yorkers ingesting household cleaners following Trump’s controversial coronavirus comments

This is complete bullshit. No one was drinking bleach over Trump's comments. If anything, douchebags were just calling the poison control center to say that they did. The NY Daily shitrag News.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Wolf Administration is Caught Adding Up to 269 Fake Coronavirus Deaths to State Totals the Day After Anti-Lockdown Protests in Pennsylvania

And this is nothing new. This is just Gov. Wolfman Hack catching on to what Cuomo and Herr Murphy have been doing all along, and now he's trying to catch up. Padding of the death numbers has been going on in the tri-state area this whole time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30671 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevbo. I need to reread it a few more times. But the gist is that this is really complicated with a multitude of real and false factors.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12856 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

I'm telling you, these politicians across the country are terrified. They destroyed the lives of millions over a virus that is in no way conforming to the doom and gloom numbers they used to take people's lives and liberties away, and they're scrambling at this point to do everything they can to try and 'create' a case to defend what they've done. At a bare minimum, this BS should end the careers permanently of everyone who had their hands in this farce.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It is, unfortunately.

Follow that with fucking falsifying of statistics

Unfortunately there is all manner of bullshit intermixed with truth and it sucks wading through it

I’m thankful for folks like those here to help through it.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks Kevbo. I need to reread it a few more times. But the gist is that this is really complicated with a multitude of real and false factors.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
This is complete bullshit. No one was drinking bleach over Trump's comments. If anything, douchebags were just calling the poison control center to say that they did. The NY Daily shitrag News.

Quite possibly, and the 13 during the same 18 hour period from last year, could be easily explained with Tide Pods. Wink

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
From the article "An unusually high number of New Yorkers contacted city health authorities over fears that they had ingested bleach or other household cleaners..."

The article doesn't say people reported intentionally ingesting the substances, though article certainly intended to imply that. And, in case any of the geniuses in the media haven't noticed, sales and use of those products has been through the roof for several weeks.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Dr. Deborah Birx: Dramatic Decrease in “Hospital Use, ICU Needs and Deaths by End of May”...

While most hospitals and emergency rooms across the nation are empty; and while doctors and nurses have switched skillsets to become Tic-Tok entertainers with all their free time; Dr. Deborah Birx notes the empty hospitals and unused intensive care units will likely be devoid of COVID-19 patients by the end of May…

Put another way, the Wuhan Virus will dissipate on the exact same timeline as the traditional flu. A remarkable coincidence. The COVID models now show 51,000 U.S. deaths with a projected total forecast from the Wuhan Virus at 67,000.

https://theconservativetreehou...-of-may/#more-190064

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
State Health Commissioner Norman Oliver claimed the first phase could span two years.

“I, personally, think Phase One will be a two year affair,” Oliver said. “There are a lot of people working on this, and I hope they prove me wrong, but I don’t see it happening in less than two years.”

Someone please hit my pause button and then hit the play button for me when this shit is finally over...
Thank you!

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:

If you're that fucking stupid to ingest bleach, society will be better off without you.

Tide pods.

Don't ever discredit something, the stupid is alive and very strong!

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I am so sick of this "asymptomatic spread" BS. You know what someone who is exposed to a virus but doesn't ever get sick is normally called? Having a valid immune response. You ever been exposed to someone sick with communicable disease and never got it? That's because your immune system did its job.

The goalposts keep moving. First it was coughing and sneezing that spread it. Then it was touching something that was coughed or sneezed on and then touching a mucus membrane (unless you believe a virus can penetrate only the skin on your face). Oh, and the virus can survive outside the body for days. No explanation of how much of the virus can survive or how much is needed to infect. N95 masks are needed, then don't work, now any mask will help. BTW, the 95 represents the percentage the mask will filter out, sounds good, right? Let me say it another way, it allows 1 out of every 20 viruses through. Still sound good? Now it's just talking and breathing will transmit it, like the measles. So now you really need a sealed full face mask with filters. Oh, and I just heard today that the CDC says sneezing ISN'T a symptom of COVID-19. Coughing doesn't project particles as far as sneezing, so why are we still staying 6' apart? Heat, UV and humidity destroy the virus, but beaches should stay closed.

Having antibodies may not keep you from getting it again, well then, we should give up on vaccines. For anything, because that's how they work.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try this on for stupid.
Say a couple weeks ago, stopped at Dog-n-Suds. Ordered food and ate in the vehicle like normal.

Now, IN is set to re-open May 1st. Just around the corner right?
Stopped at the same Dog-n-Suds yesterday and now you are required to leave as soon as you get your food.
The health department will no longer allow people to eat there, in their vehicles!

On a positive note, Lowe's was busier than I've saw in years!
I think Menards 'no one under 16 is allowed' policy is having an impact. Wink

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Sweden's chief epidemiologist thinks the "difference" of the country's approach is overhyped BTW. In a recent interview he said they're doing essentially the same as most others - flying VFR based upon assumptions and the laws they have. Also acknowledges they have gotten things wrong (it's not in the article, but I read elsewhere they were assuming a x 1,000 factor for total over registered cases - which means that there would have to be six million in the city of Stockholm now, which only has a population of just under a million) and the jury is still out for anybody.

quote:
21 April 2020

‘Closing borders is ridiculous’: the epidemiologist behind Sweden’s controversial coronavirus strategy

Anders Tegnell talks to Nature about the nation’s ‘trust-based’ approach to tackling the pandemic.

Marta Paterlini

As much of Europe imposed severe restrictions on public life last month to stem the spread of the coronavirus, one country stood out.

Sweden didn’t go into lockdown or impose strict social-distancing policies. Instead, it rolled out voluntary, ‘trust-based’ measures: it advised older people to avoid social contact and recommended that people work from home, wash their hands regularly and avoid non-essential travel. But borders and schools for under-16s remain open — as do many businesses, including restaurants and bars.

The approach has sharp critics. Among them are 22 high-profile scientists who last week wrote in the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter that the public-health authorities had failed, and urged politicians to step in with stricter measures. They point to the high number of coronavirus deaths in elder-care homes and Sweden’s overall fatality rate, which is higher than that of its Nordic neighbours — 131 per million people, compared with 55 per million in Denmark and 14 per million in Finland, which have adopted lockdowns.

The strategy’s architect is Anders Tegnell, an epidemiologist at Sweden’s Public Health Agency, an independent body whose expert recommendations the government follows. Tegnell spoke to Nature about the approach.

Can you explain Sweden’s approach to controlling the coronavirus?

I think it has been overstated how unique the approach is. As in many other countries, we aim to flatten the curve, slowing down the spread as much as possible — otherwise the health-care system and society are at risk of collapse.

This is not a disease that can be stopped or eradicated, at least until a working vaccine is produced. We have to find long-term solutions that keeps the distribution of infections at a decent level. What every country is trying to do is to keep people apart, using the measures we have and the traditions we have to implement those measures. And that’s why we ended up doing slightly different things.

The Swedish laws on communicable diseases are mostly based on voluntary measures — on individual responsibility. It clearly states that the citizen has the responsibility not to spread a disease. This is the core we started from, because there is not much legal possibility to close down cities in Sweden using the present laws. Quarantine can be contemplated for people or small areas, such as a school or a hotel. But [legally] we cannot lock down a geographical area.

What evidence was this approach based on?

It is difficult to talk about the scientific basis of a strategy with these types of disease, because we do not know much about it and we are learning as we are doing, day by day. Closedown, lockdown, closing borders — nothing has a historical scientific basis, in my view. We have looked at a number of European Union countries to see whether they have published any analysis of the effects of these measures before they were started and we saw almost none.

Closing borders, in my opinion, is ridiculous, because COVID-19 is in every European country now. We have more concerns about movements inside Sweden.

As a society, we are more into nudging: continuously reminding people to use measures, improving measures where we see day by day the that they need to be adjusted. We do not need to close down everything completely because it would be counterproductive.

[...]

Do you think the approach has been successful?

It is very difficult to know; it is too early, really. Each country has to reach ‘herd immunity’ [when a high proportion of the population is immune to an infection, largely limiting spread people who are not immune] in one way or another, and we are going to reach it in a different way.

There are enough signals to show that we can think about herd immunity, about recurrence. Very few cases of re-infection have been reported globally so far. How long the herd immunity will last, we do not know, but there is definitely an immune response.

What would you have done differently?

We underestimated the issues at care homes, and how the measures would be applied. We should have controlled this more thoroughly. By contrast, the health system, which is under unusual pressure, has nevertheless always been ahead of the curve.

Are you satisfied with the strategy?

Yes! We know that COVID-19 is extremely dangerous for very old people, which is of course bad. But looking at pandemics, there are much worse scenarios than this one. Most problems that we have right now are not because of the disease, but because of the measures that in some environments have not been applied properly: the deaths among older people is a huge problem and we are fighting hard.

Moreover, we have data showing that the flu epidemic and the winter norovirus dropped consistently this year, meaning that our social distancing and hand washing is working. And with the help of Google, we have seen that the movements of Swedes have fallen dramatically. Our voluntary strategy has had a real effect.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01098-x

The last bit is noteworthy because of allegations by some that COVID numbers are artificially bolstered at the expense of flu and other cases usual for this time of the year. But obviously measures which work against one infectious disease work against others, too, so it's really no surprise that counts for the more established ones are way down; over here, this year's flu season was officially declared over two weeks earlier than last.

Others of course suspect that death numbers are in fact way higher because people dying outside hospitals are generally not getting tested, and some countries like Italy don't even report cases from retirement homes etc. at all. For an approach to the possible total it's usefull to look at excess mortality over seasonal numbers from previous years, though they won't tell the whole story either - there might be more people dying from heart attacks, strokes etc. because they were afraid to go to the hospital (apparently in Germany, cases presenting at the ER are down 30 percent). OTOH, less might die in road accidents due to the restrictions; and so on.

quote:
EuroMOMO is a European mortality monitoring activity, aiming to detect and measure excess deaths related to seasonal influenza, pandemics and other public health threats.

Official national mortality statistics are provided weekly from the 24 European countries in the EuroMOMO collaborative network, supported by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

EuroMOMO Bulletin, Week 16, 2020

Pooled mortality estimates from the EuroMOMO network continue to show a marked increase in excess all-cause mortality overall for the participating European countries, coinciding with the current COVID-19 pandemic. This overall excess mortality is, however, driven by a very substantial excess mortality in some countries, primarily seen in the age group of 65 years and above, but also in the age group of 15-64 years.

Note on interpretation of data: The number of deaths shown for the three most recent weeks should be interpreted with caution, as adjustments for delayed registrations may be imprecise. Furthermore, results of pooled analyses may vary depending on countries included in the weekly analyses. Pooled analyses are adjusted for variation between the included countries and for differences in the local delay in reporting.

https://www.euromomo.eu/

Graphs by age group and country

Posts: 2434 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

I have tackled all kinds of outdoor projects, so I have been going to Lowe's about every other day for two weeks. Always a very decent amount of people.

Had to run to Home Depot yesterday for some lumber that Lowe's did not have in stock and I had to wait in line for 5 minutes or so to enter the store.

I am very thankful that in FL these places never closed or I would be climbing the walls.

Posts: 2328 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Hope his hasn't already been posted, these guys make too much sense

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/xfLVxx_lBLU

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/zb6j7o1pLBw

Posts: 5404 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've watched part of these (will watch the rest later when I have more time) but they certainly make 100% more sense than any of the crap coming from all the so called "experts". More and more it is becoming certain that our idiots in charge have over reacted and continue to over react and hype the hysteria.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Try this on for stupid.
Say a couple weeks ago, stopped at Dog-n-Suds. Ordered food and ate in the vehicle like normal.

Now, IN is set to re-open May 1st. Just around the corner right?
Stopped at the same Dog-n-Suds yesterday and now you are required to leave as soon as you get your food.
The health department will no longer allow people to eat there, in their vehicles!

I think Menards 'no one under 16 is allowed' policy is having an impact. Wink

Why do you eat at a dog washing place?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post