SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20813 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
All those statements are clearly intended to express the posters’ opinions that concerns about the seriousness of the disease are overblown and that the measures to contain it are excessive. And I don’t even necessarily disagree with the latter. Perhaps we should just let things play out and see what happens. But that, fortunately, isn’t up to me to decide.

You know, the whole virus thing has me thinking along the lines of the same meta-thought that comes to mind with the whole guns thing: There really are two ways to look at the issue, either trusting folks to act like thinking adults, or assuming the vast majority of people are children who can’t be trusted.

I feel like we should have constitutional carry everywhere, that children should be taught firearm safety in school, probably starting somewhere around twelve or fourteen (I started my kids at 8 with .22lr pistols, but that’s me and mine), not necessarily with real firearms with live ammo but learning the four fundamental rules and safe, responsible handling. Everyone ought to know how to safely handle and unload a firearm of any common action type. And most everyone ought to be able to legally carry most anywhere. Where do the penalties come in? When people misbehave, you punish people.

I kinda feel like the big argument on the last several hundred pages hasn’t been as well expressed as it could be. I think a lot of folks are arguing that the cure is much worse than the disease (and if we aren’t there yet, we sure seem to be headed that way), which I don’t disagree with, but muddying their argument by downplaying the disease.

If I had a magic wand, serological testing would be instantly available to everyone (and everyone would be urged to get tested). Individual results would be given as quickly as possible to the individual (you’ve not been exposed - please be careful; you’ve been exposed and recovered - congratulations, you are contributing to herd immunity; you have been exposed and are currently infected - please go home and self-quarantine, here is pamphlet on how best to avoid infecting those close to you, and here is a list of resources in your community to help you by bringing what you need.). Individual results would by law not be available to anyone else (.gov, etc), but statistics would be gathered and published. Communities would have an idea of the relative risks in their area, but there would be no scarlet Vs on anyone’s door or forehead.
The government would make recommendations for what businesses and individuals ought to do, noting that they are based on currently available best information and understanding and subject to change as more information becomes available. Businesses and individuals would be free to protect themselves and their customers as they see fit.

Of course, that sounds like a total pipe dream in a world where too many people think of nothing but themselves, assume that others do the same, and run crying to “Mommy government” to protect them from everyone else.

Whatever happens is going to happen. As you stated, we are unlikely to be able to affect government handling of this cluster. I only hope that we can try to be civil with each other while we rail at how the .gov is getting it all wrong and what they really should do is <x>. If we can come out the end of all this craziness as the same community of friends that we went into it, we will have done better than a lot of folks.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Michigan

https://www.washingtonexaminer...s-stay-at-home-order

'Operation Gridlock': Thousands gather at Michigan Capitol to protest Democrat governor's stay-at-home order

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
'Operation Gridlock': Thousands gather at Michigan Capitol to protest Democrat governor's stay-at-home order

Wow! Thanks for that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Wow! Thanks for that.

From what I'm hearing, the bitch went too far. Closing the home depots and such, they can't even buy seed for their gardens

As a Michigander, I support you all from afar

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A Democrat thanks the President

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ng-her-life-n2566917

"If President Trump had not talked about [hydroxychloroquine], it would not be something that's accessible" in Michigan "because of an order that was put down in my state," Whitsett explained on Fox News last week.

On Tuesday, Trump invited Whitsett to the White House to talk about her ordeal and her recovery, where she was able to thank him in person.

Then, in another warm gesture, he offered his own White House physician to treat her Lyme disease if he was available.

"Ask the White House doctor - seriously," he said. "Because Lyme disease can be very, very bad...Is it legal for me to let her use the White House doctor? If it's not, I'll suffer the repercussions, I don't care."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I just looked at our local news. They Operation Gridlock story is a page or so down. The only comments are from leftists scolding the protestors for being such selfish, Trump addicts that they should go home and be ashamed.

Stark contrast to every other story about Whitmer's orders where the overwhelming comments are telling her to knock it off or resign.

Media manipulation???

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ If so, it can be overcome by a sustained protest. The media will softsoap stories for the Dems if they can. But if the story won't go away then the media will throw the Dems under the bus in the name of "professionalism", "objectivity" and not being such a laughing stock that they can't sell advertising space.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, Operation Gridlock and the Change.org petition (now pushing 250K) will torpedo the Evil Queens VP chances.
Bad for us in Michigan since we will still be stuck with her but good for the rest of the country.
And Wretched Gretchens claim that the DeVos family financially backed the protests? A lie.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Never fear Michigan, Governor Whitmer addressed the lottery ticket sales in party stores yesterday. A PSA on WWJ radio added the caveat "Don't go to the store to just buy lottery tickets"

Yeah, that'll tell 'em!...........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
100s if not thousands protesting the Governor of Michigan's edict!

LOVE IT Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com...test-stay-home-order

Link didn't work, so here's another, interesting the bait title using Furious as to imply there were pitchforks and flames ready to storm the gates...

Link Furious Crowd gathers at Capitol

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
As Rush said, conservatives normally don't protest because they're too busy working.

Well, not anymore!

At least right now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Block the roads so that bitch has to sleep there.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
As Rush said, conservatives normally don't protest because they're too busy working.

Well, not anymore!

At least right now.

Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20813 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
A white tent is set up on Chouteau near St. Louis Cremations, which is located on the southwestern edge of downtown. Refrigeration units are housed inside the tent. It will hold 100 bodies at a time....

Ridiculous. Wasting taxpayer dollars on something unnecessary. There have only been 26 deaths so far in the City of St. Louis. The regular City Morgue holds 50 at a time and the max number of deaths at one time has been 7.
Deaths ARE NOT overwhelming Missouri in any way!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only place really terrible is NYC and surroundings with half of all deaths, and then a few other hard hit areas... but to listen to the politicians and the media, every town in the entire country is almost wiped out.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...ng-away-ventilators/

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said on Wednesday at a press conference that he would start giving away ventilators to other states during the coronavirus crisis.

“We’ve stabilized our healthcare situation. New York had one of the earlier curves. There are other places in this country that are now seeing increases in the death rate,” Cuomo said, explaining why he was ready to donate ventilators.

Cuomo announced he would send 100 ventilators to Michigan and 50 ventilators to Maryland.

Cuomo spent weeks spreading the alarm that there might not be enough ventilators for New York, demanding that the federal government provide him 30,000 to 40,000 ventilators for his stockpile.

“You pick the 26,000 people who are going to die,” Cuomo said in a press conference in March, in a strong message to President Donald Trump and the federal government.

Trump was widely criticized for challenging the numbers in March, asserting in an interview that Cuomo probably did not need that many ventilators.

“I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said in some areas are just bigger than they’re going to be,” he said in an interview with Sean Hannity. “I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators.”

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
You pick the 26,000 people who are going to die
Not that he wasn't being hyperbolic all along, but how many did he really end up needing? Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you just love to be a tax paying, American citizen in California?

California's Newsom announces $125M fund to give coronavirus stimulus checks to immigrants in state illegally

California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Wednesday plans to give cash payments to adult immigrants living illegally in the state to help them weather the coronavirus crisis.

The plan, which would use a mix of taxpayer money and charitable donations from corporations and philanthropists, will give 150,000 adults $500 each during the coronavirus outbreak, the governor said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...s-illegal-immigrants

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post