SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I think that will be the number of dead , In America before people start taking this seriously.

That will be when people will stop congregating in mass.

thats when the inconsiderate , the selfish and negligent will take notice ,
so
we have a long way to go , to get to this imaginary "curve or apex" that idiots keep spouting off about

I want some of what you're smoking

Posts: 1847 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want some of what you're smoking

Especially considering the worst case projections by IHME are ~140k.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this video starts out w a commercial

but after that a Los Angeles physician talks about hydroxychloroquine

He makes two important points:

1. It only works in conjunction w zinc. People taking hydro... alone, are not seeing an effect

(this might explain why we see some studies that it is not effective. Did they use it w zinc ?}

2. Every Chinese virus patient he prescribed it to has been very ill. Within 8 to 12 hours they were basically symptom free.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that will be the number of dead , In America before people start taking this seriously.

so
we have a long way to go , to get to this imaginary "curve or apex" that idiots keep spouting off about

That would be a 40% infection rate with just over a 1% fatality rate.

So, if we get to that amount, then it should be about over.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
...if the virus doesn’t mutate and get everyone reinfected with a new version.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
this video starts out w a commercial

but after that a Los Angeles physician talks about hydroxychloroquine

He makes two important points:

1. It only works in conjunction w zinc. People taking hydro... alone, are not seeing an effect

(this might explain why we see some studies that it is not effective. Did they use it w zinc ?}

2. Every Chinese virus patient he prescribed it to has been very ill. Within 8 to 12 hours they were basically symptom free.

When I saw the early reports a while ago I bought three month supply of zinc and vitamin C to add to my daily multivitamin. I figured it can't hurt, and if I get a cold or something else it might shave a day off the sickness. Cheap insurance with zero downside.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Text from my nurse buddy

Incredibly disturbing and outrageous lack of consideration for medical staff. I've heard this complaint daily for weeks. Routine patient interactions with elevated temps etc. and PPE is NOT allowed as it may "frighten the patients." Yet staff is required to maintain social distancing at meetings and queues. All this goes out the window for the sake of the patient until positive test or meets likelihood of positive guidelines.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The W.H.O. really blew it...
the same people who cherry picked rat studies and is telling the world that meat causes cancer

WHO Says Meat Causes Cancer?

excerpt

The WHO cherry-picked studies that supported its anti-meat conclusions, ignoring those that showed either no connection between meat and cancer or even a protective effect of meat on colon cancer risk.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Text from my nurse buddy

Incredibly disturbing and outrageous lack of consideration for medical staff. I've heard this complaint daily for weeks. Routine patient interactions with elevated temps etc. and PPE is NOT allowed as it may "frighten the patients." Yet staff is required to maintain social distancing at meetings and queues. All this goes out the window for the sake of the patient until positive test or meets likelihood of positive guidelines.

He’s very nervous because 2 of his 4 kids have asthma and have likely been exposed too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

so

WTF are you babbling on about?

This thing IS starting to slow down and they are closing down Covid drive thru testing centers down in Philadelphia and the suburbs (Ambler, PA) now around here in PA.

Posts: 34542 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The problem with the choir incident is that it is unclear whether the transmission was droplet-borne or truly aerosolized. It does look like a case of airborne transmission, but was it individual virus particles or moisture droplets loaded with virus?

The difference is critical because N95 masks will filter droplets, but not individual virus particles. What comes out of a person's mouth when they sing? Would this have not happened if the choir members were wearing masks?

And should we only be concerned about proximity to infected persons when they are singing? Maybe normal conversation is OK?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16906 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
IHME now has predictions for other countries

(if they had that before, I didn't notice it)

https://covid19.healthdata.org...ed-states-of-america

Italy:

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
That's still not evidence of airborne transmission.
Maybe patient 0 was the one handling the song books/ handing out water / was that one hugger in the group, etc.
You're also likely talking about multiple couples, who would have close, prolonged contact afterward.
Not time to break out the Israeli surplus gas masks yet, that's after we pass it back to a bat, which is caged next ta a newt & then thrown in a cauldron with eye of frog or something.

The choir had someone offering hand disinfectant. They agreed to to huge or shake hands. However, they spent almost 3 hours in a room singling. That means a lot of droplets of coronavirus were floating around the room. One estimate was that singing projected the droplets up to 27 feet.

Had they worn masks the droplets would likely have stayed with the infected person(s) in their masks.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, sounds like time "confined" was the biggest factor.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
OK we are officially in a science fiction movie.

NYC using drones to tell people to social distance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Only because those drones are automated rather than elected.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SDY - on those IHME predictions for other countries - I'm not sure how accurate their bed/ICU/Ventilator counts are and how that impacts the death estimates - I clicked on the UK numbers and they seemed to have a rediculously low number of beds and ICU beds available.

Did you find any info on where they get that info? I dug around the site a bit and wasn't able to validate their sources.

Does anyone else have that Judas Priest song going through their head from the State Farm Commercial - but instead of "Breaking the Law" it now goes "Bending the Curve"?

Posts: 256 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Not reading every post, but aren't there predictions for another 'spike' in the fall? Followed by possibly another?

If so, more 'rolling' lock downs?

If so, what does that mean about current efforts?

Are looking at this continuing on for some time (year+) without a vaccine?

Honest questions.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4992 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Saw this on my FB news feed from a semi lib friend.

I replied " yessir, saving for a rainy day or the Ronapocalypse is for chumps"

Posts: 5538 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post