SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my sister...her two daughters, both nurses, are planning on heading to NYC this month for the lucrative work they can get.

quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
In Alamance County NC we have 14 cases. My SIL is a nurse. Her hours have been reduced, till further notice. Because the hospital is EMPTY. All surgeries cancelled. The ER is empty.

She was offered $10K to go work in NYC. But she thinks that is a terrible idea. I agree with her. But to watch the news, you would think the hospitals are full of people dying with the virus.

I think I will follow jljones example and turn off the news. For a few weeks. They just aren't credible. Regards 18DAI

A friend and former co-worker of my fiancee is doing the NYC gig. She is in school now and her husband was laid off for the 'Rona, and now that's the only way she can get money.

FYI, these $10000/week gigs require nurses to work 5 12-hour shifts per week to get the "crisis pay". Normal week is 3 12-hours.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Boris needs to not die.

Absolutely!

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how some people are barely affected by the virus while others get hit severely.

Here's my wildly speculative theory, with no data to support it:
Since this is a Corona Virus just like the common cold, it's possible that it is similar enough in its makeup to a few previous viruses that some people actually have some level of antibodies for it.

If you were lucky enough to have had a cold from one of those similar viruses, you have some level of protection. If you never had the similar virus, you have nothing and you get hit hard.

It's possible ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Apparently you don't care...so be it...I didn't post it for you, I posted it for people who might care.

No. I do. And I appreciate what you posted and get what you are saying.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hug it out.

(virtually)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Hug it out.

(virtually)

LOL.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
It's interesting how some people are barely affected by the virus while others get hit severely.

Since this is a Corona Virus just like the common cold, it's possible that it is similar enough in its makeup to a few previous viruses that some people actually have some level of antibodies for it.

If you were lucky enough to have had a cold from one of those similar viruses, you have some level of protection. If you never had the similar virus, you have nothing and you get hit hard.

It's possible ...

I suggested that to my wife too a couple of weeks ago. Makes enough sense to me concerning this whole mess.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
why do you say he would likely not survive? Does he have pre-existing conditions?

62, hepatitis c from a blood transfusion after an accident in the military, along with years of drug and alcohol abuse have killed his liver. Had some cancer fairly recently that they treated with implanted chemo beads because regular chemo would have killed him.

Has a problem with random bleeding inside his brain, and his liver issues cause high ammonia levels. His immune system is gone, and when he get an infection he will not run a fever because his body isn't fighting it.

All of that said, he should have been dead several times over based on his past accidents and other health concerns, but he keeps on keeping on. If none of that would kill him perhaps this won't either.

We haven't been able to see him for several weeks, and it appears that the residents all "lost" their cell phones for the last week or so. We couldn't reach him, and he couldn't reach us. It has spread around to multiple residents and staff, and several people have come in from out of town to take care of everybody there. New guy in charge got us in touch with him today, but he didn't sound well.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, some people just have much stronger immune systems than others I think.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
There remains complacency in certain areas within Australia.

Below is an image from the Gold Coast (Queensland) on Sunday April 6.

(Source: news.com.au)

From the image, you'll notice that most are respecting the 'no more than 2' and 1.5m distance separation.

Elsewhere around the country, beaches are closed. In my city of Altona, the beach is closed with ranger and police patrols.

No-one is indignant when duly advised. Shouldn't have to be saying that to you, you moron, but there were are.

The next 3 weeks will be very different for many Aussies. Easter holidays are the annual school holiday and getaway, typically two weeks.

Anzac day, April 25th, memorials, marches,events and celebrations cancelled.

--chris

Closing beaches is idiotic. If the cops can patrol them without being infected... I can walk on it alone without spreading the infection. I’m in Florida, beaches are closed... why? Just tell people not to group and enforce that. I should be allowed to walk outside in the fresh air solo on a beach.

I don’t think we can put up with another month of people getting tickets for paddle boarding alone and still be the same country.

Posts: 2453 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
First reported case of an animal with covid-19...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyl...tests-205150772.html

If this thing can jump from animal to human, isn't it just as likely to go back the other way?

If so, yikes. Chocolate labs and golden retrievers will kill us all.

Posts: 2360 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
a1abdj, I'm sorry to read that your FIL HAS tested positive.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's possible ...

I've actually speculated the reverse. Perhaps a previous common cold, corona virus was similar in some ways to Wuhan, and has keyed people's immune system to over-react and cause the cytokine storm that is fatal. The reason I am hypothesizing children aren't dying is that this prior virus made its rounds before they were born.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Interesting...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
...most are respecting the 'no more than 2' and 1.5m distance separation.

Umm, no.

What's the difference if you're 2 feet away from you wife on the beach or in your living room?

As for testing, I keep saying it over and over. If you test negative (and it's accurate) the only way to stay that way is to isolate yourself from everyone and every where. Which is the same thing you do if you test positive.

Posts: 21377 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:

Apparently you don't care...so be it...I didn't post it for you, I posted it for people who might care.

No. I do. And I appreciate what you posted and get what you are saying.

We're good. Virtual handshake headed your way. Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Interesting...

Just curious, before I push this chart out to others...do you know which model is being used for the projected data?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the after action report of 'truth' vs 'TEOTW projections' is going to be interesting...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Interesting...
Just curious, before I push this chart out to others...do you know which model is being used for the projected data?

IHME. https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Link to that chart? With "reality"?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post