SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I just don't know how we keep this up.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
My assumption is it will be cheap surgical masks to keep our fingers out of our face.
Oh no no no no, there is NO reason to wear a mask, or so the 'experts' told us 2 months ago! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I think Trump is really frozen in place on this one.
Well then you really haven't been paying attention for the past 3 years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Corona virus got Ellis Marsalis. A true jazz legend. RIP.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01...ronavirus/index.html

Sad. Such a prolific family.

I've seen he, Branford, and Wynton different times over the years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
San Francisco order bans reusable bags from grocery stores in effort to fight coronavirus. Plastic bags are back in style, I wonder when border security become in vogue again? Maybe when granny has her ventilator removed to provide oxygen to an illegal alien?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
When we do return to normal again, one thing will have remained unchanged through all this, the extremely attractive ladies will still have their force field turned on. Only the vibrant and wealthy can break their force field. The cute ladies will allow their force fields to be broken more often, as is quite normal. The not very nice looking ladies will have discarded their force fields out of desperation to hook up with anyone.. Big Grin

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This " complications from covid" shit is way more than a little vague. And i.m.o. wearing nano thin.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55195 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

We cannot, it is impossible.

There is a choice to be made. Either fight the COVID-19 fight and head into The Great Depression II.

Or sacrifice some / many patients to COVID-19 in order to sustain the American economy and not bankrupt the entire nation.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

There is a choice to be made. Either fight the COVID-19 fight and head into The Great Depression II.

Or sacrifice some / many patients to COVID-19 in order to sustain the American economy and not bankrupt the entire nation.

Is there a door 3?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Is there a door 3?

I wish. I cannot see one. Do you?

Posts: 2356 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

Correct.

We now have 2000 people unemployed for every 1 death related to coronavirus.

Another month of being shutdown, and we could be facing another 5 million? 10 million? 20? The ramifications are hard to predict, but it won't be good.

Suffice to say I'm not envious of the position that Trump or any Governor is in at this point. Considering most deaths are patients above their life expectancy, well, I would opt to sacrifice personally. But that would be political suicide and we are run by politicians who have no desire to end their careers.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Sad indeed just as any death from anything is. One thing I've noticed about these celebrity deaths is the reporting states they died of the complications from the Corona virus and the rest of the report is just a eulogy. No information on when the person was hospitalized and for what? Had that person been battling poor health recently? Pre existing health conditions that were added to by the virus and that became the tipping point?

Same thing with the Joe Diffie death earlier this week. Someone on the board here said he had been battling poor health for sometime. I searched for quite sometime and could not find anything recent or in the past that indicated that. I could not find when he was admitted to the hospital, how long he had been treated or how long from diagnosis of the covid until his death.

You came away thinking he was a perfectly healthy 61 year old who contracted the virus and died from it. But they don't exactly say that either.

Sometimes the more important thing is what they are not telling you.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A pretty sobering article here, I think this is the gist of it though:

Frown

Why Flattening The Curve Is Overrated

quote:

Big Point #2 – At What Cost?

If we are truly only on lockdown for the next two weeks, it’s probably a cost we are all willing to bear. But I have some bad news for you – it won’t be two weeks. Not with the current psychology of this disease. We are starting with just two weeks because it makes it easier to accept. It’s comfortable. They’re keeping us calm. Easing us into it. The next announcement is coming. Two weeks will become four weeks. A month will become three months. This could drag on the rest of the year.

The minute we lift quarantine measures, the second wave begins. Eventually the third wave. Or a fourth.

China is just now trying to emerge from a lockdown of more than two months. That puts our exit around June 1. I don’t think we can enforce a full lockdown as successfully as China can. And that assumes no setbacks. What if China has a second wave while we are in the middle of our quarantine? Are we really going to lift ours in the midst of their next wave?

This leads to an exceptionally uncomfortable cost/benefit analysis. How much economic value are we willing to lose to save a human life?

If the mortality rate was 50% and 165mm Americans would die from this virus, I suspect we would be willing to live under strict quarantine for quite some time. We’d be willing to endure a total economic collapse because we don’t like the prospect of losing half our family.

If the mortality rate is 1%, that’s 3.3mm Americans. That’s different.

And that assumes 100% of us get it. Which we won’t. Even without a quarantine. Because that’s not how viruses work. There is no precedent for an influenza virus spreading to 100% of the population. Ever.

Yeah, I’m willing to endure some economic hardship to avoid losing 3mm Americans. But how much? And how does my calculus change over time? That’s really uncomfortable to think about.

Everyone was all about doing their part to flatten the curve when it meant working from home and doing teleconferencing.

But now that they might lose their job? Tunes will change. Quickly.

If 2.5 million Americans lost their job last week like Goldman Sachs is forecasting, does that change our approach to flattening the curve? If the economy contracts by 25% in Q2, are we still willing to live under quarantine indefinitely?

Instead of 3mm Americans dying, what if it’s really more like 1mm? Or less? Heart disease kills 650k Americans each year – what if coronavirus kills that many instead? Would we accept a Great Depression in order to save them? If so, why haven’t we done so before now?

Posts: 34579 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Curious, do you have a link for that stat?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39263 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:

Curious, do you have a link for that stat?

3.3m last week, 6.6m this week.

9,900,000/5,161 = 1918 jobs per death.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02...ronavirus/index.html

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
April 2, 2020
China Is Preparing to Start a War with America
By William L. Gensert

This is my conclusion as well.

I hope Trump/Pentagon realize this and are preparing. Yesterday's presser was I think designed to signal that the US is capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

The time to kick a man is when he's down. It is possible they could hit a few navy ships, but that leaves us with a lot of capacity to respond. If they really intend take us down more than a few pegs, an EMP attack might be the modern Pearl Harbor.

The question is how do we (as individuals) prepare for a possible impending war with China? EMP or not.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17564 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Sad indeed just as any death from anything is. One thing I've noticed about these celebrity deaths is the reporting states they died of the complications from the Corona virus and the rest of the report is just a eulogy. No information on when the person was hospitalized and for what? Had that person been battling poor health recently? Pre existing health conditions that were added to by the virus and that became the tipping point?

Same thing with the Joe Diffie death earlier this week. Someone on the board here said he had been battling poor health for sometime. I searched for quite sometime and could not find anything recent or in the past that indicated that. I could not find when he was admitted to the hospital, how long he had been treated or how long from diagnosis of the covid until his death.

You came away thinking he was a perfectly healthy 61 year old who contracted the virus and died from it. But they don't exactly say that either.

Sometimes the more important thing is what they are not telling you.

The media will always, and always has, lied to us. They have an agenda in all this and they will not mention at all that a victim had health problems to begin with in order to sensationalize the deaths as much as possible. On the other hand, if a victim was not known to have an underlying problem they will headline that news when reporting. I truly despise every single member of the news media for their bias and dishonesty.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they really intend take us down more than a few pegs, an EMP attack might be the modern Pearl Harbor.

Then Bejing and Hong Kong quickly become the next Hiroshima and Nagasaki would be my guess. Don't think Trump is in the mood to exchange military barbs with China right now.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we go to war with China we’d better hope we have an ass left to wipe when it’s over and not be worrying what we will wipe it with.

The consequences of even a limited nuclear exchange would be beyond what most people can imagine. We can only hope that the Chinese leadership is smarter than anyone here who thinks that war would be a good idea.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47698 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Just saw a democommie TV ad, blaming Trump for this covid flu. What the fuck.

Posts: 1656 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus can spread through talking or breathing, scientists warn White House

https://www.washingtonexaminer...sts-warn-white-house

Coughing and sneezing may not be the only way to spread the coronavirus through the air, according to a scientific panel.

New research presented to the White House on Wednesday suggests the novel coronavirus can spread through the act of one person speaking to another in close quarters or even breathing. The findings were reported after news that state-mandated mask guidelines are being discussed by the Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention which would instruct U.S. citizens to wear protective equipment as a "new normal" in everyday life.

"This letter responds to your question concerning the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets," Dr. Harvey Fineberg, a former dean of the Harvard School of Public Health, wrote in a letter sent to the White House on Tuesday. "Currently available research supports the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients' exhalation."

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," Fineberg added.

Fineberg told CNN he would begin to wear a face mask, which can be made of plain cloth in place of professional material, when he leaves his home to go grocery shopping.

Although the CDC has claimed that air droplets exhaled from persons only carry 6 feet, findings by an MIT researcher suggest the virus can travel as far as 27 feet, and a recent study from the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratories claimed the virus can remain airborne "for hours."

"If you generate an aerosol of the virus with no circulation in a room, it's conceivable that if you walk through later, you could inhale the virus," Fineberg said. "But if you're outside, the breeze will likely disperse it."

Posts: 13098 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post