SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I went in to urgent care last night to have my lungs checked out. Although I'm feeling better than I did on Monday, I had a cough that was triggered by talking. They verified I had viral pneumonia in my right lung and I was sent to the ER. They tested me with the long brain ticklers and I'll know in 2 to 7 days if I have/had COVID or not.

No trouble breathing and an intermittent cough is my only symptom.

The doctors said that the tests they use are not always accurate and it could give a false positive or negative. They do not have confidence in the testing in this state (OR).

Either way, treatment is the same; go home and get better. They gave me a prescription for tessalon perles.

I'm in self-quarantine for at least a week and maybe two.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
France is having issues with the immigrant communities not following isolation rules. How does one police a no-go zone?

This creates pockets of infected people that can harbor the virus until the general population can move freely again, leading us back to square one.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I wonder if its patented. How long till China will get the science, clone it, and deliver it cheaper? Also, a little worse. The last cycle with Czech subjects, it was only 80% inaccurate. Gotta wonder if they'll do better using our science.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
France is having issues with the immigrant communities not following isolation rules.

Imagine my surprise.

quote:
How does one police a no-go zone?

Make it a "no go out zone" and let the problem sort itself?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
France is having issues with the immigrant communities not following isolation rules. How does one police a no-go zone?

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I'm in self-quarantine for at least a week and maybe two.

Tony.
Get well soon!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Leave 'em be, but don't let them leave their slums. It will self-correct in a month or so.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make it a "no go out zone" and let the problem sort itself?

I like the idea, but I think their "go" zones are surrounded by "no go" zones.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Here is something to brighten everyone's Saturday. I can't get the video to inbed since it is Vimeo and not Youtube.

Covid No More

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
President Trump on Saturday said he is considering imposing an enforceable quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut as part of the efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hotspot — New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut quarantined,” he said outside the White House.

“I’m thinking about that right now. We might not have to do it but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine — short term, two weeks for New York, probably New Jersey and certain parts of Connecticut.”

He said that if such a move happened, it would be primarily a restriction on residents of those states traveling to other parts of the country. He later said that, if enacted, it would not affect truckers or trade.

He said that he had spoken to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, and said there was a problem with people from New York traveling down to Florida: "We don't want that."

"This will be an enforceable quarantine, but hopefully we won’t need it," he said.

The move would be a dramatic escalation of the efforts to stop the spread of the coronavirus, and comes on the back of those states essentially shuttering daily life -- closing schools, businesses, leisure activities and urging residents to stay at home.

Cuomo, who was holding a press conference at the same time as when Trump made his remarks to the press, expressed confusion at Trump's proposal -- saying he had spoken to him about a hospital ship and opening up emergency medical sites, but not a statewide quarantine.

"I spoke to the president about the ship coming up and the four sites, I didn't speak to him about any quarantine," Cuomo said. "I haven't had those conversations, I don't even know what that means."

"I don't even know what that means. I don't know how that could be legally enforceable and from a medical point of view I don't know what you would be accomplishing," he said. "But I can tell you I don't even like the sound of it, not even understanding what it is I don't like the sound of it."

Trump told reporters that if he did go forward with the quarantine, it would be for a short time only, maybe as little as 14 days.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...w-jersey-connecticut

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wall them in. Anyone tries to get out, 00 buck. It will self regulate in a month

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

Cuomo, <snip> ".... I don't know how that could be legally enforceable and from a medical point of view I don't know what you would be accomplishing," he said. "But I can tell you I don't even like the sound of it, not even understanding what it is I don't like the sound of it."

Oh, the irony.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3300 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A family member just emailed about a Belgium cat which has the CV-19. I almost want to email back, "Reports from the Royal Botanical Society are that certain flowering shrubs have been found to carry CV-19". Except the sender is squarely in the 15% fatal category, is wound up pretty tightly, seeing no one, and is probably hiding in his closet with a case of wine and a bucket.

Hey, someone let me know if the world is coming to an end? I'll want to get a case of beer and a pack of smokes. Maybe increase my Netflix per-month-allotment.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
quote:

Cuomo, <snip> ".... I don't know how that could be legally enforceable and from a medical point of view I don't know what you would be accomplishing," he said. "But I can tell you I don't even like the sound of it, not even understanding what it is I don't like the sound of it."

Oh, the irony.

Disagreeing just to disagree. What an ass!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Regarding the quarantine of NY, experience suggests that when Trump says he is considering doing something, he has likely already decided to do it and it will happen soon.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Why Italy and Iran?

Italy and Iran have been two of the countries hardest hit by the Wuhan coronavirus, outside of China. Why? Helen Raleigh explains at The Federalist:

The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative. OBOR is Beijing’s foreign policy play disguised as infrastructure investment. Here’s how it works:

China and country X agree to do an infrastructure project in country X. Country X has to borrow from a Chinese bank to finance the project. A contract is always awarded to Chinese companies, which then bring supplies and Chinese employees to country X to build the project.

As a result of One Belt and One Road, there are more than 300,000 Chinese living in Italy.

Almost exactly a year ago in March 2019, against warnings from the EU and the United States, Italy became the first and only G7 country to sign onto OBOR. As part of the deal, Italy opened an array of sectors to Chinese investment, from infrastructure to transportation, including letting Chinese state-owned companies hold a stake in four major Italian ports. …

Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment. Nearly a year later, the first Wuhan coronavirus infection case in Italy was reported in the Lombardy region on Feb. 21. Today, Italy is experiencing the worst coronavirus outbreak outside China, and Lombardy is the hardest-hit region in the country.

I've seen this a couple times now, but it can't just be the BRI. Essentially the entire eastern half of Europe has signed onto the scheme, some very early. In 2015 alone, the Bulgarians, Czechs, Hungarians, Poles, Romanians, Serbs and Slovaks entered into MoUs with China; but they haven't had large-scale outbreaks like Italy. OTOH, there has been a large population of Chinese (illegal) workers in Italy long before last year.

quote:
Made in Italy, by Chinese workers

By Reuters

Published Jan 3, 2014

Shen Jianhe lost both her job and home when Italian police shut down her garment factory in the Tuscan city of Prato.

By day, the 38-year-old mother of four would sew trousers at one of the nearly 5,000 workshops run by Chinese immigrants in Prato, which largely turn out cheap clothing for fast-fashion companies in Italy and across Europe.

At night she slept in a plasterboard cubicle hidden behind a wooden wardrobe at the Shen Wu factory - until the police arrived one cold December morning. They sealed the doors and confiscated the 25 sewing machines under a crackdown on an industry that is booming but blighted by illegality and sweatshop conditions.

[...]

Prato, the historical capital of Italy's textile business, has attracted the largest concentration of Chinese-run industry in Europe within less than 20 years.

As many as 50,000 Chinese live and work in the area, making clothes bearing the prized "Made in Italy" label which sets them apart from garments produced in China itself, even at the lower end of the fashion business.

In some ways, the Chinese community of Prato has succeeded where Italian companies have failed. Italy's economy has barely grown over the past decade and is only just emerging from recession, partly due to the inability of many small manufacturers to keep up with global competition.

Yet Prato, which lies 25 km (16 miles) from the Renaissance jewel of Florence, is also a thriving hub of illegality committed by both Italians and Chinese, a byproduct of globalization gone wrong, many people in the city say.

Up to two thirds of the Chinese in Prato are illegal immigrants, according to local authorities. About 90 percent of the Chinese factories - virtually all of which are rented out to Chinese entrepreneurs by Italians who own the buildings -break the law in various ways, says Aldo Milone, the city councilor in charge of security.

This includes using fabric smuggled from China, evading taxes and grossly violating health and labor regulations. This month a fire, which prosecutors suspect was set off by an electric stove, killed seven workers as they slept in cardboard cubicles at a workshop.

Italian officials acknowledge they haven't cracked down effectively on the mushrooming illicit behavior.

[...]

https://ww.fashionnetwork.com/...-workers,377237.html

Posts: 2418 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If this was true, Africa would be fully involved in the pandemic by now. They've bit hard on OBOR, and other Chinese investment. But it's only starting to fire up down there.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Why Italy and Iran?

Italy and Iran have been two of the countries hardest hit by the Wuhan coronavirus, outside of China. Why? Helen Raleigh explains at The Federalist:

The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative. OBOR is Beijing’s foreign policy play disguised as infrastructure investment. Here’s how it works:

China and country X agree to do an infrastructure project in country X. Country X has to borrow from a Chinese bank to finance the project. A contract is always awarded to Chinese companies, which then bring supplies and Chinese employees to country X to build the project.

As a result of One Belt and One Road, there are more than 300,000 Chinese living in Italy.

Almost exactly a year ago in March 2019, against warnings from the EU and the United States, Italy became the first and only G7 country to sign onto OBOR. As part of the deal, Italy opened an array of sectors to Chinese investment, from infrastructure to transportation, including letting Chinese state-owned companies hold a stake in four major Italian ports. …

Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment. Nearly a year later, the first Wuhan coronavirus infection case in Italy was reported in the Lombardy region on Feb. 21. Today, Italy is experiencing the worst coronavirus outbreak outside China, and Lombardy is the hardest-hit region in the country.

The Iran case is interesting as well:

2019 was the year Iran officially signed up to OBOR. China sees Iran as a crucial player to this initiative because Iran is not only rich in oil but also lies in a direct path of an ambitious 2,000-mile railroad China wants to build, which will run from western China through Tehran and Turkey into Europe.

Today, Iranian health officials trace the country’s coronavirus outbreak to Qom, a city of a million people. According to the Wall Street Journal, “China Railway Engineering Corp. is building a $2.7 billion high-speed rail line through Qom. Chinese technicians have been helping refurbish a nuclear-power plant nearby. ”Iranian medical professionals suspect either Chinese workers in Qom or an Iranian businessman who travelled to China from Qom caused the spread of the coronavirus in Qom.

News reports indicate that a number of high Iranian officials have contracted coronavirus, and I believe at least one or two have died. Raleigh explains:

Although on Feb. 1 the Iranian government banned its airlines from flying to China, it made an exception for Mahan Air, an unofficial airline for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The WSJ reported that Mahan Air “had carried out eight flights between Tehran and China between Feb. 1 and Feb. 9 to transfer Chinese and Iranian passengers to their respective home countries.” "This explains why so many high-level Iranian officials are infected by the coronavirus, including First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri and more than 20 lawmakers."

Relying on China for economic development was never a good idea, but it turned out to be more dangerous than we knew.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/...y-italy-and-iran.php

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Iran won't admit the other Chinese connection to the top levels of their government and military that has helped the Wuhan virus spread within Iran. China provides Iran with weapon systems and technology prohibited by international sanctions. With these weapon systems come meetings between high level officials, meetings between high level military members, and engineers and/or technicians to set up the systems.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Iran won't admit the other Chinese connection to the top levels of their government and military that has helped the Wuhan virus spread within Iran. China provides Iran with weapon systems and technology prohibited by international sanctions. With these weapon systems come meetings between high level officials, meetings between high level military members, and engineers and/or technicians to set up the systems.

A real shame that. A real shame.

Maybe they should try licking holy shrines some more. I'm sure that would help.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I spoke to the president about the ship coming up and the four sites, I didn't speak to him about any quarantine," Cuomo said. "I haven't had those conversations, I don't even know what that means."

"I don't even know what that means.

It means nobody within those areas being allowed to travel outside of those areas. Duh.

quote:
I don't know how that could be legally enforceable ...

Here ya go, Governor: Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine

Found it in under five seconds with a search. (Btw, Governor: You're a Governor. You should know these things. It's your job.)

quote:
... and from a medical point of view I don't know what you would be accomplishing," he said.

Then why did you issue this order: New York State Orders All Nonessential Workers To Stay Home

Same thing.

quote:
"But I can tell you I don't even like the sound of it, not even understanding what it is I don't like the sound of it."

Of course you're not happy about it. If the same was to occur to my state, I wouldn't be happy about it, either. Then again: So far, at least, Michiganians aren't fleeing the state to other states less-affected by coronavirus to get around the restrictions we have in place.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Did I miss this getting posted?

https://twitter.com/MichaelCou.../1243779158737440768

BREAKING: French government reverses earlier ban on hydroxychloroquine for treating COVID19 patients in light of successful clinical studies showing significant efficacy against the virus.

Hydroxychloroquine may now be prescribed to treat COVID-19 in France.

Hydroxychloroquine Globally:

-India, Hungary & the United Kingdom ban export of the drug to save supply for themselves
-Jordan + France authorize use of hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19
-Bahrain claims success with drug on coronavirus patients
-US FDA approves off-label use

Link to study/order: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr...775&categorieLien=id

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post