SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FNC reporting the Hilary's Email contained a "Top Secret" labeled message
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 315

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
FNC reporting the Hilary's Email contained a "Top Secret" labeled message Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I have a question for the IT guru's on the board...

As I understand it, a server can never be completely wiped and there are ways for experts to uncover what was there.

Is this correct and does the FBI have that capability?

The implication that she used a high-level hard drive zeroing method is just as damning, I would think.

If the server was wiped with a 3-pass or 7-pass .gov approved method, then the data is no longer present on that physical media. The good news is that all those emails either originated from somewhere else, or were sent somewhere else, and someone else was possibly sloppy. Things will be discovered.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
You only need one message for a felony and they already have several. Anyone else would already be in custody by now.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24278 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
or were sent somewhere else, and someone else was possibly sloppy

The Hillary team is openly defying investigators.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015...boss-hillary-clinton

In a letter sent to the U.S. State Department and just filed today with U.S. federal Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, the counsel for Cheryl Mills wrote: “Ms. Mills does not believe that she has paper copies of potential records in her possession.

Following our production on August 10, 2015 [of the defense counsel’s version of the electronic records], we have instructed her to delete any and all electronic records in her possession.”

Cheryl Mills was Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:

As I understand it, a server can never be completely wiped and there are ways for experts to uncover what was there.

Is this correct and does the FBI have that capability?

The implication that she used a high-level hard drive zeroing method is just as damning, I would think.

If the server was wiped with a 3-pass or 7-pass .gov approved method, then the data is no longer present on that physical media. The good news is that all those emails either originated from somewhere else, or were sent somewhere else, and someone else was possibly sloppy. Things will be discovered.

Wouldn't secure, off-site backups of her Exchange mailbox be expected/required? Seems probable that somewhere are/were backups that were saved every so many months, which should not have been done away with, possibly under penalty of law (not that that matters). Wouldn't surprise me if there were image backups, too.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
quote:
or were sent somewhere else, and someone else was possibly sloppy

The Hillary team is openly defying investigators.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015...boss-hillary-clinton

In a letter sent to the U.S. State Department and just filed today with U.S. federal Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, the counsel for Cheryl Mills wrote: “Ms. Mills does not believe that she has paper copies of potential records in her possession.

Following our production on August 10, 2015 [of the defense counsel’s version of the electronic records], we have instructed her to delete any and all electronic records in her possession.”

Cheryl Mills was Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Is that not documented evidence of instructing someone to perpetrate a felony?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I thought the judge issued an order stopping that from happening aka there will be no deletion by Ms. Mills.

Posts: 4125 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Wouldn't secure, off-site backups of her Exchange mailbox be expected/required? Seems probable that somewhere are/were backups that were saved every so many months, which should not have been done away with, possibly under penalty of law (not that that matters). Wouldn't surprise me if there were image backups, too.

? She set up an illegal server specifically to avoid allowing anyone to see her emails and to avoid FOIA requests. She was willfully violating all standards and laws, why would she follow some 'requirement' to back up her server? There would be no such guidelines for backing up a personal server, because personal servers are illegal and not authorized. She very well may have backed her server up, but her people would have been in control of the backups and any tapes or storage media.

This was not an 'oops' situation. She was doing this specifically to avoid accountability.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The Chinese and Russians probably have her emails. If not, the NSA.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20344 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends on who did the wiping. If somebody knowledgeable did it: It can be wiped in such a manner that even the NSA can't recover it.

quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I always thought writing 0s destroyed the data completely.

Kind of. "Ghosts" of the data remain that can be detected with the right hardware.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
That Hillary decal looks good, but it should have prison bars across the front of it.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"I thought the judge issued an order stopping that from happening"

Yes.

The group having a huge impact here is Judicial Watch through its suits being handled by U.S. District Court judge Emmet Sullivan

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08...rom-deleting-emails/

A federal judge has intervened to block Cheryl Mills, Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff at the State Department, from deleting any emails in her possession after her attorney informed the State Department last week that she had instructed her client to do so.

U.S. District Court judge Emmet Sullivan issued the order late Friday in response to an urgent request from the watchdog group Judicial Watch, which is suing the State Department over its failure to produce records related to a special work arrangement granted to Huma Abedin, Clinton’s deputy chief of staff at State.

On Thursday, Mills’ attorney, Beth Wilkinson, wrote to Patrick Kennedy, the under secretary for management at State, that “following our production on August 10, 2015, we have instructed [Ms. Mills] to delete any and all electronic copies [of potential federal records] in her possession.”

Wilkinson did not provide a reason for her instructions to Mills to scrub her email account.

Judicial Watch wrote to Sullivan late Friday asking him to prevent Mills from deleting any potential federal records. Mills, who did not have a personal email account hosted on Clinton’s private email server, turned over some emails on June 25 and planned to hand more over on Monday.

But “any destruction of federal court records” would “blatantly” disregard an order that Sullivan issued late last month, Judicial Watch wrote to Sullivan. On July 31, Sullivan ordered Clinton, Abedin and Mills to turn over all federal government records under their possession or control. He also ordered the trio to certify under penalty of perjury that they did not delete any federal records.

Wilkinson told The Daily Caller that Mills will comply with Sullivan’s order.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
That Hillary decal looks good, but it should have prison bars across the front of it.

Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24278 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Excellent, I would put one on my truck.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
personal servers are illegal and not authorized. She very well may have backed her server up, but her people would have been in control of the backups and any tapes or storage media.

I've not heard anything about them being illegal. Colin Powell reportedly used a personal server. Now I know Hellary supposedly issued a warning to dept. employees about using personal emails as a matter of policy ("for thee, not for me"), but that's different from breaking the law. My recollection was that if you did use a personal server, there were guidelines you had to follow.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Big Grin

I see a business opportunity here!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6383 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Big Grin

I see a business opportunity here!

Calling Spectre! I'll take a dozen if someone gets around to making them Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15693 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:
That's impossible, she's said several times that she never sent ANY classified material via her private email server.
================Insert==============
Why would she be sending stuff to her self? Classified or otherwise.
==========================================

Although I've yet to hear an explanation of how a Secretary of State can do their job while never exchanging anything that's classified.

You assume she was doing the SECSTATE job. Apparently, she was doing a whole lot of stuff not remotely associated with that position. Uranium sales for example.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25648 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
surely the original drive(s) have been wiped 7+ times, or truly physically destroyed.

over the years (as far back as the mid 90s in my experiences) we've successfully gotten data off of drives that had been in fires, fallen out of moving vehicles, even hit with hammers. replace the arm, a platter, whatever you have to. I've been surprised...

short of pulverizing every platter (or chip), or doing multiple passes of erases and rewrites, the data is still there.

but worse for Team Hildabeast, every one of those emails is/was very likely on another n-number of other servers as it hopped from source to destination, most of which have their own backups and strategies and are privately owned and independent of either the source or destination folks.

it's not impossible to erase/hide it all, but very unlikely.

Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
Ergh: you all are making me defend Hillary. There are segregated networks used for official purposes, both unclassified, classified, and special compartmentalized. Nothing has come out as being 'marked' classified yet.

Yes, her initial defense was that there was nothing in the emails she turned over was classified. There was nothing classified sent to or from the server. It trended towards a claim that nothing was classified at the time, and now we're at nothing being marked classified.

What we need, as an additional nail, is an email conversation, MARKED classified, between her and anyone else. Preferably, an email that can't be found among the 55,000 pages of emails she turned over.

Part of the issue is that lots of stuff is classified after the fact. If she was using a gov't server, it wouldn't matter, because ALL emails would have been protected. Now, none of them have been, and I've seen reports that hackers got into her server and got all or most of the emails and other docs.

That's just one of the reasons why gov't officials are required to use gov't servers.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Report This Post