SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FNC reporting the Hilary's Email contained a "Top Secret" labeled message
Page 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 ... 315

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
FNC reporting the Hilary's Email contained a "Top Secret" labeled message Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
A warrant will reduce the likelihood of suppression of evidence later. In this case its likely to be a battle for each and every step. If the Clinton Foundation can be tied into illegal activity, a monumental seizure could be in play. In any event the Clinton attorneys will make the O.J. legal bill laughable.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The spousal privilege question is interesting. I’m no expert, but I believe it applies only to testimony per se, and not something like reporting or handing over physical evidence. If my wife found a chopped up body in our freezer, reported it to the police, and let them in to seize the evidence, I don’t believe that would be a violation. What she couldn’t do would be testify in court that I came home one night covered in blood and said, “I killed that bastard.”

I would be interested, though, in real legal opinions.

The privileges can be more complicated but that's the essence of it.

There are two kinds:
Spousal testimonial privilege, barring testimony against a spouse in a criminal trial, and
Marital communications privilege, barring testimony about confidential communications between spouses.

Neither is absolute. One can waive theprivilege, and there are a number of exceptions.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Great commercial!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8470 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A 208 year old quote seems fitting.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave..."

Looking for signs of an even older quote (dating to the play Antigone) - "Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad"

Checking in next week for signs of speaking in tongues or general foaming at the mouth..

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
A warrant will reduce the likelihood of suppression of evidence later. In this case its likely to be a battle for each and every step. If the Clinton Foundation can be tied into illegal activity, a monumental seizure could be in play. In any event the Clinton attorneys will make the O.J. legal bill laughable.

The Clintons can afford what I've always referred to as the "Kenny Stabler approach," just don't let the clock run out. Maybe something good will happen.

I can't tell you how many times I watched that black and silver bastard starting in about the 4th quarter, run up and down the field, fumbling, stumbling, passing, scrambling, from as much as a 28 point deficit to winning the game.

I watched this Holy Roller in person.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGffYc5eXnA

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see if the FBI goes after Huma for classified info on a non-secure device / network (if in fact they find such on that laptop), when they just let HRC skate.

Such is the dilemma Comey created by excusing the many crimes HRC committed.

Posts: 1790 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Showtime has been running the Weiner movie.
Love the timing, Huma and Hillary are now probably regreting the decision to make that movie.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Question: Given they are still working out legal access, and there are tens of thousands of emails, isn't it likely we will hear nothing more about email details over the next 8 days ??

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Question: Given they are still working out legal access, and there are tens of thousands of emails, isn't it likely we will hear nothing more about email details over the next 8 days ??

All it takes is one e-mail with the right content...

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11016 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

That seems to be the consensus. We won't hear anything about what's in the emails for at least weeks, probably months.

I'm wondering though if Comey may actually give a statement sometime next week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30637 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
What she couldn’t do would be testify in court that I came home one night covered in blood and said, “I killed that bastard.”

She could if she wanted to. She just can't be compelled to do so. Think how every domestic violence case that makes it to court would play out if it were otherwise.

As for testimony, that'll depend on the relevant body of law (of course), but there's always an argument to be made that providing evidence "is basically like" testimony, especially if the evidence can only be admitted with supporting testimony.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This whole event needs a catchy 'gate'..."Travel-gate" is already taken...

How about "Weiner-gate"...

"Huma-gate" (rhymes with "fumigate")...

"Lying Corrupt Evil Piece Of Shit Harpy-gate" has a nice ring to it (but may be to much for mixed company especially around the 'chirren) Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10591 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
What she couldn’t do would be testify in court that I came home one night covered in blood and said, “I killed that bastard.”

She could if she wanted to. She just can't be compelled to do so. Think how every domestic violence case that makes it to court would play out if it were otherwise.

As for testimony, that'll depend on the relevant body of law (of course), but there's always an argument to be made that providing evidence "is basically like" testimony, especially if the evidence can only be admitted with supporting testimony.

Domestic violence is an exception. The privilege belongs to the defendant to prevent the spouse from testifying to confidential communications. The defendant/accused can waive it, but it's not up to the spouse.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I know there are exceptions to the spousal privilege, but at least long ago “Because she wants to talk” wasn’t a general reason for an exception.

The fundamental basis of the spousal privilege was to protect the “institution” of marriage. That depends in part on spouses’ being able to share any secret with each other in the confident belief that it won’t be disclosed. If we believed that we couldn’t do that, it would have a corrosive effect on marriages in general. And it’s important to understand that the privilege doesn’t (didn’t, anyway) rely on what my spouse wants; it’s what I want: To not be compromised by something I told the one person that I was supposed to be able to freely confide in.

Now, of course, someone will immediately point out all the reasons not to share secrets with his/her spouse, and like many legal principles the idea includes some fictions, but that’s the idea. Further, as pointed out, there are exceptions to the privilege such as when the spouse is a victim of a crime. The spousal privilege also applies only to court testimony. There’s nothing to keep a spouse from blabbing our secrets everywhere else.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47499 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The spousal privilege question is interesting. I’m no expert, but I believe it applies only to testimony per se, and not something like reporting or handing over physical evidence. If my wife found a chopped up body in our freezer, reported it to the police, and let them in to seize the evidence, I don’t believe that would be a violation. What she couldn’t do would be testify in court that I came home one night covered in blood and said, “I killed that bastard.”

Is it that your wife couldn't do that, or that she couldn't be compelled to do that?

IANAL, but I thought spousal privilege meant that one could not be compelled to testify against their spouse, not that they couldn't testify against their spouses. Almost like an extension of the fifth - "you can't make me incriminate myself and you can't make me incriminate my spouse."

If an individual couldn't testify against their spouse, I would think that would make prosecuting Domestic Violence cases really tough...

That being said, IANAL and I don't know.

Posts: 6966 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Lying Corrupt Evil Piece Of Shit Harpy-gate"

This one.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
The spousal privilege also applies only to court testimony. There’s nothing to keep a spouse from blabbing our secrets everywhere else.

Yes, but then it is likely inadmissible hearsay. Of course, there are exceptions to that, too.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
If an individual couldn't testify against their spouse, I would think that would make prosecuting Domestic Violence cases really tough...

Yes, and that’s been addressed here several times (RTT).

But except for things like being the victim of a crime, the spousal privilege is indeed designed to protect the defendant. I can object to my wife’s testifying to something like my statement that I killed someone despite what she wants to do. If my angry wife could reveal our marriage secrets whenever she wanted, the concept of marriage confidentiality would be meaningless.

Added: The “priest/penitent” privilege isn’t observed quite as much as the spousal privilege, especially these days, but the principle is the same. If I confess a murder* to my priest and he is later compelled to testify as to what I told him, what does that do to the idea that religious confessions are confidential and between me and him and a deity? Would other people bare their souls to the extent that they’re expected to? The idea that one should be able to tell a cleric anything to obtain absolution and without its being repeated outside the confessional is a fundamental religious belief of many people.

* A statement “against self-interest” such as a confession to a crime is a common exception to the hearsay rule. The basis for the exception is that it’s reasonable to believe that people don’t lie when incriminating themselves.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47499 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Is it that your wife couldn't do that, or that she couldn't be compelled to do that?

IANAL, but I thought spousal privilege meant that one could not be compelled to testify against their spouse, not that they couldn't testify against their spouses. Almost like an extension of the fifth - "you can't make me incriminate myself and you can't make me incriminate my spouse."

That being said, IANAL and I don't know.

Read my responses above and you will know more.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
It would be icing on the cake if they found that some of them were forwarded out of the country.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post