SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What will you have on your hot dog?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will you have on your hot dog? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Concur.

Stopped the ketchup thing, when i graduated from Oscar Meyers...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Plain with Chipotle Tabasco.

Plain with cheese wiz and Chipotle Tabasco.

Plain with cheese wiz, bacon and Chipotle Tabasco.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I'm very surprised that so many are putting ketchup on their hot dogs. I didn't think anyone over twelve years old did that. Wink

I was going to make mention, but given the current state of the country, it would be irresponsibly divisive. Wink

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Chili (with NO beans), grated cheddar cheese, and onions

or

Deli mustard

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can see how that Clint Eastwood line has influenced a lot of you guys, but it's just not true.

Here's one of the first digital pics I ever took. A friend's lunch.

Whadda ya think the sauce is made of in beans and franks? Tomatoes! What's a topping on Chicago dogs? Tomatoes! What's ketchup made of? Tomatoes!

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whadda ya think the sauce is made of in beans and franks? Tomatoes! What's a topping on Chicago dogs? Tomatoes! What's ketchup made of? Tomatoes!

I love tomatoes and tomato sauce, but not ketchup. The other ingredients (sugar/HFCS, vinegar and whatever spices are used) give the tomatoes a flavor I dislike. Just my personal preference, s'all. Smile I wasn't so much influenced by Dirty Harry as validated . Big Grin

Posts: 27987 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I only put catsup on meatloaf. Not even on fries. As I noted earlier, my hot dogs only have French's yellow mustard on them, and I brown my buns.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
NSFW Wink

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Went from Oscar Meyers to Nathan's and from catsup to mustard.

Prolly, OM's are more suited to ketchup and its sweetness.

Dogs with a more substantial character prolly need a condiment with a bit more savory attitude.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Blasphemy!
Pure unadulterated blasphemy!

Mustard
Relish (preferably the super bright green stuff)
Onions
Pickle slice
SLICED TOMATO
A dash or two of celery salt
Sport peppers optional

NO KETCHUP EVER!
Save that stuff for your fries.

And yes, the "Weiners Circle" on the north side is exactly like that. It's part of the ambiance.
There was another place not too far from the 19th District at Belmont and Western- Hot Dougs. They had French Fries fried in duck fat on the weekends! Talk about GREAT!!!

But I'm a south sider, and it's Jansons, Fat Johnny's (RIP, Lil Johnny) or Bozo's.
Cruzin Dukes if you're in the suburbs.

Then there's the Chili Dog...
Hot dog
Chili
Sport peppers optional.

NO KETCHUP.

Unless you're 5 years old and Mom / your crazy aunt is making one-
NO KETCHUP.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I got a hot dog and a bottle of ketchup. DOAN TEMP ME I'LL DOOT

The cap's off I SAID THE CAP'S OFF

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, dang...

Kinky

oooooooohhhhhh.....

Uhhhh?

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
CPD SIG,

Bozos is still around? Thought they went away years ago.

I actually like Portillos jumbo dog quite a lot. I've eaten at the Vienna Beef factory but appears it's closed now:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2...ome-a-driving-range/

Posts: 13145 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Trying to find an equivalency to ketchup on a dog. Is it like, say, putting syrup on grits? I can’t really say. I’m not just a Yankee, I’m a Yankee in California.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
I’m not just a Yankee, I’m a Yankee in California.
Well, look on the bright side- at least they won't call you a carpetbagger out there.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sir, step away from the bottle.

Sir, PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLE!

Is this thing on? [tap-tap]

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
CPD SIG,

Bozos is still around? Thought they went away years ago.

I actually like Portillos jumbo dog quite a lot. I've eaten at the Vienna Beef factory but appears it's closed now:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2...ome-a-driving-range/

Unfortunately no. Bozo’s closed about 8-10 years ago.
The last one was on 111th St out in Oak Lawn / Worth, about 10 minutes from the house.
Damn good dog!
With that neon green relish... YUM!!!!

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Sir, step away from the bottle.

Sir, PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLE!

Is this thing on? [tap-tap]

You did your best. End your shift knowing there’s one less ketchup covered dog on the loose. The city sleeps easy tonight.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Sort of off on a tangent...I've never had a Coney dog, and certainly don't want to visit the area in order to try one.
However, I hear that they are good and if I tried one, I'd never go back to any other style frank.

So, what's the best commercially available Coney sauce that I can order to try making one here at home?

There are no Sabrett distributors here in the midwest, so I'll have to make do with something else on that front as well.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One of the best hot dogs I've ever stuffed down my gullet was at Isle of Palms, SC and it was a simple beef hot dog but loaded up with a big scoop of really good, creamy, juicy coleslaw. I've been a fan ever since!

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post