SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, how about I just lock this thing?

Snap out of it. Stow the defeatist talk.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think JAllen is right. He'll get confirmed tomorrow, and the Dems will spend the ammo they are making today in the next election by complaining that the Republicans hate women and have no interest but in extending the patriarchy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53145 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Ford has been well coached on the softball questions the RATS are asking.

Q "How sure are you...."
A "100%"

The prosecutor may be letting the RATS make some easy points before she pulls her "James J Wells" line of questions.

Bonus points for knowing the movie reference...….
I hope the R's prosecutor gets on the ball.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
The prosecutor is building the house. The foundation isn't complete. Hopefully she gets to the attic.

This is my expectation. She's carefully and thoroughly nailing the alleged victim down on her claims.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Like Dershowitz said, they never should have picked a prosecutor. They needed a defense attorney, one who knows how to cross examine.

Disagree. Sadly: This is more about optics than truth. They needed somebody who could be unequivocally said to be on the side of the alleged victim.

I am concerned about how Ford is being allowed to occasionally "run out the clock."

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Her story is about to get really thin under this questioning.

This is my expectation. Michell is going to note all the holes and inconsistencies, and nail Ford to the wall. Respectfully and kindly, of course.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The Dems have manipulated this well, even Fox News calling it a disaster for the Reps. Frown
I hope Kavanagh pulls it out in the fourth quarter.

It's not a disaster at all. This lady prosecutor has been chipping away at the inconsistencies in Ford's story and it appears to be effective as far as I can see. I'm sure her best stuff is yet to come.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I'm still in the 'Confirmed' camp.

Today's hearings are a shit show no doubt.

But so was listening to the relentless coverage of Hillary's "inevitable and historic VICTORY!"

And we all know how that turned out Big Grin

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to stop watching for the same reason I stopped watching Fox News last year Every. Single. Day. It was maddening and raising my blood pressure. Heck I rarely post (but lurk way more than I post and get what I need to know right here)

I cannot explain it, but for some reason this whole situation just pisses me off to no end. Absolutely, truly maddening. I seriously wanna strangle puppies and kittens (and I have a dog and nine cats, so I love animals put that in perspective)

Feinstein, Durbin, Leahy and all those thousands of letters of supports - they all admire her bravery and support her and thus obviously believe her straight away - hook line and sinker believe Ford (and the other women coming forward I assume as well) which means they by default believe Kavanaugh is truly guilty - believed her story with no reputable facts.

I know, just cause - Liberals, Democrats, those labels are an excuse for their behavior and actions. Its not right, we have crossed an event horizon, one that cannot be walked back I think. Its now officially okay to do what is happening to Kavanugh.

I sure hope Kavanugh comes out ready to rumble and fights back aggressively and calls all those judgemental azzholes straight away - if he doesn't, while I wont say he deserves what he gets, it will plainly say he surely won't be the right person for the SC.

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned earlier that she's a snowflake. I just read this bit in a FOX article. This chick is just not stable or credible. She's a mess.

"Ford told senators she finally decided to disclose the alleged assault during a therapy session in 2012 because during a remodeling of her house that year, she insisted on installing a "second front door" -- leaving her husband and others wondering why."

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The Dems have manipulated this well, even Fox News calling it a disaster for the Reps. Frown
I hope Kavanagh pulls it out in the fourth quarter.

It's not a disaster at all. This lady prosecutor has been chipping away at the inconsistencies in Ford's story and it appears to be effective as far as I can see. I'm sure her best stuff is yet to come.

I actually got Colombo vibes with this prosecutor. Sure, she looks matronly and non-threatening, but she's going to whip out a "Just one more thing..." on Ford's ass, you guys watch!

Posts: 34076 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like Dershowitz said, they never should have picked a prosecutor. They needed a defense attorney, one who knows how to cross examine.

Oh, for Pete's sake, what makes you think prosecutors can't cross examine? Any good trial lawyer can cross examine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53145 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
The prosecutor is building the house. The foundation isn't complete. Hopefully she gets to the attic.

This is my expectation. She's carefully and thoroughly nailing the alleged victim down on her claims.

quote:

Disagree. Sadly: This is more about optics than truth. They needed somebody who could be unequivocally said to be on the side of the alleged victim.

I am concerned about how Ford is being allowed to occasionally "run out the clock."

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Her story is about to get really thin under this questioning.

This is my expectation. Michell is going to note all the holes and inconsistencies, and nail Ford to the wall. Respectfully and kindly, of course.

Old Malay proverb: "Softly, softly catchee monkey." The optics are (best case) we gave the "victim" a respectful, sensitive hearing. There are some doubts about her exact recall of events. Kavanaugh (from whom we haven't heard) seems to be a reasonable guy. Let's vote. The results would have been the same last week.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:

Feinstein, Durbin, Leahy and all those thousands of letters of supports - they all admire her bravery and support her and thus obviously believe her straight away - hook line and sinker believe Ford (and the other women coming forward I assume as well) which means they by default believe Kavanaugh is truly guilty - believed her story with no reputable facts.

They don't have to believe her. The actual truth doesn't matter much. Sure, it is better if it is actually true, but so what if it isn't? As long as she is credible enough to not seem to be a flat-out liar, that is good enough. They are using this woman as a political tool.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I think JAllen is right. He'll get confirmed tomorrow, and the Dems will spend the ammo they are making today in the next election by complaining that the Republicans hate women and have no interest but in extending the patriarchy.

Yes, and it will fall flat to all except the most rabid leftists whose minds were already made up.

I believe this is going to backfire on the Left with middle America.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
After the break, the lady questioner seems to be more earnest.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
After the break, the lady questioner seems to be more earnest.

I'm telling you, Ms. Columbo is going to trip Ford up here.

I've heard all about her, that she is no joke.

Posts: 34076 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
prosecutor making points

Ford doesn't remember how she got to the party.

8 miles and you don't know how you got home? That would be about a 3 hour walk. One would remember that.

I think the prosecutor is going to paint a picture that there is very little chance that Ford was even at the party......

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:

They don't have to believe her. The actual truth doesn't matter much. Sure, it is better if it is actually true, but so what if it isn't? As long as she is credible enough to not seem to be a flat-out liar, that is good enough. They are using this woman as a political tool.

The most exalted status in the GDC heaven is victim. That is who all bow to, praise, glorify, worship. And on national TV, to boot!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Shw don't remember if she gave her therapist notes to the Wa Po but 1 minute later she remembers correcting those notes to the WA PO. I think that's what you call busted!!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8555 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Two masters degrees and a PhD, but doesn’t know what “exculpatory” means???

Quality education right there...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11020 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Chuck Grassley - "Boom, Headshot"

Dems - "Lerooooy Jenkins...."

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post