SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Here's one for the tea leaf readers.

quote:
Collins Says Kavanaugh Is Unlikely To Favor Overturning Roe
Steven T. Dennis, Sahil Kapur, Bloomberg News Sept. 25, 2018

Senator Susan Collins, a key swing vote in the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh, said Tuesday she doesn't think President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee would overturn the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion because he said he respects precedent.

Collins, a Maine Republican who supports abortion rights, said her discussions with Kavanaugh persuaded her that he believes "the concept of precedent is rooted in Article III of the Constitution, and he clearly reveres our Constitution."

Collins told reporters in Washington that the nominee "also believes that it is not sufficient - since I asked him this directly - for five sitting judges to believe that an earlier decision was incorrectly decided. He said it would have to be grievously wrong and deeply inconsistent."

Full original text at http://finance.yahoo.com/news/...favor-205859095.html

It sounds like maybe Collins is working her way towards justifying a "yes" vote to confirm Kavanaugh.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
So they keep using this word “credible” when referring to the “alleged assaults”, and they keep labeling the accusers as “survivors”.

If it is an unsubstantiated accusation at this point, shouldn’t they be labeled as “alleged survivors” ???

And that word they keep using? who has the “I don’t think it means what your think it means” meme...

cred·i·ble
ˈkredəb(ə)l/Submit
adjective
able to be believed; convincing.
"few people found his story credible"
synonyms:believable, plausible, tenable, able to hold water, conceivable, likely, probable, possible, feasible, reasonable, with a ring of truth, persuasive
"only one of the so-called witnesses could provide a credible story"

So what part of the following tale are people believing is “credible” because I just don’t see it?

”36 years ago someone touched my boob over my clothing while wrestling on a bed. I don’t remember when or where it happened, how I got there, or how I got home though.

I never reported it to my friends or parents. It has ruined my life and ability to have relationships and made me afraid to fly. Yet I never said anything when he was appointed to the DC Court of Appeals 12 years ago, I only mentioned about 6 years ago. But even then I didn’t mention him by name.

The people who I said were there claim they weren’t or that it didn’t happen.

My story now is materially different than when I told it to my therapist.

Oh, and I am politically opposed to the person making the nomination and actively protested against his administration.”

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11020 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else find it odd, or somewhat coincidental that Bret Kavanaugh only sexually assaulted ultra-liberal women somehow connected to George Soros?

Most passing strange...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15693 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
Stolen from WaPo comments today regarding continued demands from Dr. Ford:

I will not testify on a boat,...
I will not testify with a goat....
I will not testify,....
Here nor there.....
I will not testify anywhere.....
I will not testify first. Or last.....
I will not testify slow or fast.....

There's nothing more for me to say..... I can't remember, anyway.....

-Dr. Seuss-Ford

Great! Made it a meme.

Guess you guys missed this on page 37:

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I guess the left has found a few "witnesses" that claim she told them of her story and submitted them to the senate committee.

Time is the killer here. When the left asks for "time to investigate" what they are saying is "time to fabricate". A leftist wouldn't think twice about lying under oath, especially when there is no way to prove it. Besides, they don't prosecute leftists for lying to congress. We've seen that plenty of times.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ult-allegations.html

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Christine Blasey Ford’s attorneys have sent documents to the Senate Judiciary Committee with declarations from four people who they say corroborate her story of sexual assault by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

In a declaration by Adela Gildo-Mazzon, who has known Ford for over 10 years and considers her a “good friend,” she claims Ford told her about the incident involving Kavanaugh back in June 2013

“During our meal, Christine was visibly upset, so I asked her what was going on,” Gildo-Mazzon says in her declaration. “Christine told me she had been having a hard day because she was thinking about an assault she experienced when she was much younger. She said she had been almost raped by someone who was now a federal judge. She told me she had been trapped in a room with two drunken guys, and that she had escaped, ran away and hid.”

Keith Koegler, another person who claims to corroborate Ford’s allegations, says he talked about the alleged assault with her in 2016 in the midst of the sentencing of Stanford University student Brock Turner.

“Christine expressed anger at Mr. Turner’s lenient sentence, stating that she was particularly bothered by it because she was assaulted in high school by a man who was now a federal judge in Washington, D.C.,” Koegler said.

Another declaration is from Rebecca White, who has known Ford for more than six years. She says Ford told her about the allegations against her sometime in 2017.

“I was walking my dog and Christine was outside of her house,” she said. “I stopped to speak with her, and she told me she had read a recent social media post I had written about my own experience with sexual assault.

“She then told me that when she was a young teen, she had been sexually assaulted by an older teen,” White added. “I remember her saying that her assailant was now a federal judge.”

The last declaration is from Ford’s husband who reportedly learned about the allegations when they got married, though she shared the details only in 2012 when they were having a couple’s therapy session.

“I remember her saying that her attacker’s name was Brett Kavanaugh, that he was a successful lawyer who had grown up in Christine’s hometown, and that he was well-known in the Washington D.C. community,” Russell Ford said.

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

“During our meal, Christine was visibly upset, so I asked her what was going on,” Gildo-Mazzon says in her declaration. “Christine told me she had been having a hard day because she was thinking about an assault she experienced when she was much younger. She said she had been almost raped by someone who was now a federal judge. She told me she had been trapped in a room with two drunken guys, and that she had escaped, ran away and hid.”

Oh bull. I wish they could somehow nail all these liars to the wall.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, for fuck's sake!! Mad

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Objection your honor, hearsay.

Same circular logic as “What she says is true because she told me it’s true”

cor·rob·o·rate
kəˈräbəˌrāt/Submit
verb
confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding).
"the witness had corroborated the boy's account of the attack"
synonyms: confirm, verify, endorse, ratify, authenticate, validate, certify; More
Tip
Similar-sounding words
corroborate is sometimes confused with collaborate
- interesting foot note Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11020 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Report: Ford's Team Wants to Dictate Which Media Outlets Are Present at Committee Hearing

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...t-committee-n2522629

In an interesting term of events, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford's attorney, Michael Bromwich, sent emails to the Senate Judiciary Committee asking them to limit which press will be given access to Thursday's scheduled hearings, The Washington Times reported.

Emails obtained by The Washington Times said Bromwhich has requested:
• Access for three robocams which he wants ran by "the CSPAN TV pool."
• Three specific wire services.
• Photographers from the Associated Press, Reuters and one other identified media outlet.
• A pool reporter for newspapers and magazines.
• Space for a radio reporter.

The only time committees tend to place limitations on press at hearings is when space is a concern or when witnesses need their identities to be kept secret.

According to The Times, "longtime Capitol Hill watchers struggled to think of precedent for a witness dictating terms of press coverage."

Although Ford has agreed to testify on Thursday, her attorneys have laid out a list of demands. The one aspect that they're most opposed to: the Committee utilizing a sex crimes prosecutor to help with the questioning.

Debra Katz, another one of the lawyers who is representing Ford, included an emailing asking for the prosecutors identity.

“Please let us know if you have similarly withheld the name of this person from Mr. Kavanaugh and his counsel. If you have not, which we assume to be the case, can you please explain the disparate treatment?” she wrote. “Please also advise whether Mr. Kavanaugh and his counsel have been given an opportunity to meet with this individual. We would similarly like the opportunity to meet with her at her soonest availability.”

Posts: 12826 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
We have already seen the DEMs create sheer chaos in the earlier Kavanaugh hearings of the Senate Judiciary Comm.

They may pull the same stunts during the "11" five minute time slots when the REP chosen lawyer questions Ford.

Unfortunately Grassley does not appear to have much power to make them shut up. He may try, but in the earlier sessions they just kept interrupting.

This Thur session could get very chaotic.

Ford is supposed to submit her written testimony today by 10am. Hope that gets made public.

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess you guys missed this on page 37:

Well, considering that since this was unlocked way back on page, what, 25? and there's been maybe four pieces of new information in the 50 pages since, it's a little hard to wade through the entire thing.

Posts: 11170 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Report: Ford's Team Wants to Dictate Which Media Outlets Are Present at Committee Hearing

-Tell HER how it is going to happen, and when.
-All media outlets will be allowed to cover.
-If she stalls or doesn't show up, cut it off and move forward to vote; ignore that her wild, spittle-spewing ranting ever occurred.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
If they still pass Judge Kavanaugh, congress critters will be vulnerable, as all it takes is a few angry women voters to listen to the drama to tip the elections leftwards. Dems have already threatened to try to impeach Mr. Kavanaugh after they win. The only thing that could help them is if there is even a semblance of a speedy FBI investigation, like what Mr Bush did with Judge Clarence Thomas before he was confirmed. I honestly think there is insufficient time for this, though, so I think he's been essentially Borked.

That being said, if that position is not filled before midterms, Dems stand a chance at blocking any future Trump nominee if/when they do win the midterms.

In other words: I really want to make sure that all like-minded people vote.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
If the vote is taken Friday morning, and Kavanaugh is confirmed, this "big con job" will be a huge victory for the Republicans, and help them immensely in the midterms.

The way things have gone, that is a big "if."

We'll see.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11126 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Prediction of today's faux outrage / delay of game penalty from Dems:

Hold everything! Kavanaugh has released his calendar from 1982. He was grounded for three weekends in a row in May.

We demand an immediate FBI investigation into the facts surrounding this parental action. It is likely disqualifying from rising to the Supreme Court...

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...nded-three-weekends/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
If the vote is taken Friday morning, and Kavanaugh is confirmed, this "big con job" will be a huge victory for the Republicans, and help them immensely in the midterms.
The way things have gone, that is a big "if."
We'll see.

Yes, but focus on the huge victory, not the big "if". The tide turned on Monday. This is what winning looks like... it's not a straight line, and sometimes it's not pretty. It takes courage and conviction. It takes firmness, and shining the light of truth. McConnell and Kavanaugh did that on Monday, in different settings.

McConnell ‘confident’ Kavanaugh will be confirmed:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing reports that the Dems are already going after Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell who was selected to question Ford. Stuff about her being connected to Sheriff Arpaio, etc

I can't wait for the fat-shaming, which you know is coming too, these people are nasty.

I can't tell you the level of disgust I feel for Democrats right now. Mad

Posts: 34074 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Christine Blasey Ford’s attorneys have sent documents to the Senate Judiciary Committee with declarations from four people who they say corroborate her story ...

At least Fox has the good sense to write it as "who say they corroborate," unlike, for example, NBC "News," which wrote "from four people who corroborate."

Subtle shift in wording leading to distinctly different realities.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

The danger of Democratic overreach: The Kavanaugh hearings could fuel Republican turnout, as many Americans see the weaponization of #MeToo

By S.E. CUPP SEP 26, 2018 | 10:10 AM

Democrats may think the Kavanaugh confirmation circus, in which the nominee is facing allegations of sexual assault and misbehavior from his high school and college years, is working in their favor. They certainly seem convinced not only of Brett Kavanaugh’s guilt, but of the impact this will have on midterm elections.

Headlines like this one, in The Atlantic, abound: “Brett Kavanaugh Could Make the Midterms a Landmark Election for Women.”

Left-wing groups are audibly salivating: “[I]t is on fire out there, and women voters in particular are ready to see big, big change," said Stephanie Schriock, the president of EMILY’s List.

Not so fast. While I’ve said consistently that neither side will be able to claim a clean victory out of this when all is said and done, Democrats seem to underestimate just how significant an impact Kavanaugh could have on midterms — for Republican turnout.

While many of us steeped in the #MeToo movement carefully weigh the accusations against him, deciding to believe the women until evidence proves them not credible, much if not most of America likely sees it differently. They see a decent man, who was investigated six times by the FBI already for other appointments, being tarred and feathered over uncorroborated accusations from decades ago. Sure, that hits male voters hard, but women, too — mothers of sons who don’t want mistakes made as teenagers to define their future — are watching closely.

Republican voters in particular have reason to be incensed, and motivated.

For one, in exaggerating Kavanaugh’s alleged misconduct, liberals have made indefensible and unfair comparisons.

MSNBC’s Katy Tur first compared Kavanaugh to Roger Ailes and Roy Moore, the latter of whom was credibly accused by more than a dozen women of child molestation.

And just yesterday, as the sentencing of convicted serial rapist Bill Cosby was being handed down, she compared him to Kavanaugh.

On CNN, Yodit Tewolde, an attorney, said “During the break I’m scrolling through Twitter and I’m looking at people actually saying and applauding the sentence [of Cosby] and then in the same breath wanting to defend Kavanaugh,” calling that “disturbing” and “insane.”

But to anyone capable of rational thought, putting these two men in the same category is what is disturbing and insane.

Voters also notice a very obvious double standard playing out concurrent to Kavanaugh: The multiple accusations of domestic violence against Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison. While he runs to be Minnesota’s attorney general, the state’s top law enforcer, none of his Democratic colleagues have demanded his ouster. None are demanding the FBI investigate him. In fact, Democrats are quite content to allow the Democratic National Committee, where Ellison serves as deputy chair, to handle the investigation internally.

Many in the media might not have noticed this clear hypocrisy, but average Americans sure do.

Finally, Republicans are having flashbacks to 2012, and seeing shades of Mitt Romney. In the midst of that presidential campaign he was eviscerated by Democrats and the press, many will admit today unfairly, not just over his politics but his character.

As a spokesperson for the Judicial Crisis Network said of the Kavanaugh attacks, “We are not going to allow a last-minute smear campaign (to) destroy a good and decent man who has an unblemished personal record.”

All of this, to be sure, will help drive Republican turnout. But it could also drive independents who think that weaponizing #MeToo for political gain is craven, who believe due process is important, who believe there shouldn’t be different standards based on party affiliation.

Democrats may think they’ve won this battle with Kavanaugh, but he could turn out to be the reason they lose the war.

Original article: The danger of Democratic overreach: The Kavanaugh hearings could fuel Republican turnout, as many Americans see the weaponization of #MeToo

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post