SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You still don't get it? The left and right are team swamp they act in concert. By Grassley's own admission Schumer is conducting the orchestra.

I hope you're wrong about that...
But if you're right, it's almost time to fertilize!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24272 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Oh I understand they work together. It's obvious. I'd say 40% of republicans only care about keeping their job, 40% are sympathetic to the democrats, and the last 10% who try to do the right thing by the people are forced into irrevalance by the other 80% and the left.

Trump showed them exactly how to win:
1) Ignore the media. They will never be sympathetic to your cause so don't give them power by caring what they think.
2) Do whats right, even if your political "advisors" tell you different
3) When you do get elected keep your campaign promises.

Those three simple steps have made Trump hugely successful.

The old rules in politics are gone. Even DiFi knows this. If the republicans don't understand this they are either ignorant or complicit.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Christine Ford testifying in open session:

We don't know anything about this accuser; Can she weave a good tale? Can she elicit empathy? Is she naturally believable? Many (including POTUS) have said "Let's hear what she has to say". This could be dangerous. We have all known people who were likable and believable but were pathological liars. The stakes are too high to let her testify in open session.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Apparently Ford's parents were in foreclosure in 1996. They lost their home. The judge ruled against them.

That judge...wait for it...was Kavanaugh's mother...

Old news. Everyone's aware of this. Wink

No. The home was in foreclosure, but was redeemed and the case was dismissed. Judge Kavanaugh’s mom, a judge, signed the dismissal order. They did not lose the home.

Hmmm...Jeanine got it wrong. Not surprising I suppose as her show is second only to Hannity in trying to elicit outrage. It worked. Wink

Posts: 20212 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I found this comment elsewhere. It sums this situation up perfectly.

A Woman walks into police station and says "I was sexually assaulted " Police officer - begins questioning.

1. Where did this occur?.. "I can’t remember" .
2. Do you know the street, location ?.. "No I don’t remember".
3. Describe your assault, answer- .."I was at a party and there were 2 or maybe 4 boys and maybe some girls who won't remember it.....I personally don't remember". (changes number of people later) .."one threw me on the bed and got on top of me, he then proceeded to put his hand over my mouth, I got away. I think his name is Brett Kanavagh.'
4. When you got away did you go home? .."I can’t remember."
5 How did you get there?.. "I can’t remember."
6 Did you tell anyone when it happened?.. No..well maybe. I'm not sure".
7 Date?.. I don’t exactly remember, maybe 36 years ago
8. 36 YEARS AGO? So, you were a teen back then? How old were you? .." I'm not sure maybe 15, 16..uh. I cant really remember." Were both of you underage? .."Yes."... Was alcohol involved? "Yes, he was stumbling drunk, I thought he was going to or could have killed me."
9 Can anyone corroborate this?.. the only details you have shared is just the allegation?.. " No ..well.. maybe..I'll let you know.".
10.Your occupation and age? I'm a Professor..Doctor of Psychology PH.D. ..age now? .. "in my 50's."
11. Would you confront the accussed in court as prescribed by the Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution which provides that "in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right…to be confronted with the witnesses against him."?
" No.. well maybe on condition that he can't say anything back... As to the constitution,I have my own moral compass, I don't need a Constitution.. But .. I want a full FBI investigation."
12. Was it a crime involving federal jurisdiction? .." No"
..Officer: ..."Lady we can't take this to a District Attorney"... "That's ok I don't want to talk about it anyway..just execute him".

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20344 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
JALLEN's post above needs some emphasis.

The much reported incident - where Kavanaugh's mother took a judicial action involving Ford's parents - that action was routine and was not at all negative for the Blaseys.

There was a 1996 foreclosure action on the Blaseys, but it got resolved and the foreclosing company asked for the filing to be dismissed. Kavanaugh's mother approved the dismissal.

In the period 1995 to 1998 there were several actions against Ford's father involving foreclosure and a credit management company.

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Wash Post reports that Leland Keyser believes the Ford accusation.

So even though Keyser was named by Ford as being at the 1982 "party", and Keyser does not remember ever knowing Kavanaugh, Keyser still believes Ford.

Over a thousand Holton Arms HS alumni have signed a letter supporting Ford.

How many of those alumni ever met Ford ?

It reflects very negatively on how many women automatically support another woman's claims with little proof and under highly contested conditions.

A jury of those Holton Arms alumni would likely convict Kavanaugh right now.

posted Hide Post
File formal charges against Kavenaugh or move on to the vote.....

This is a travesty of justice and don't be surprised if good people chose Not To Serve the country in the future.

Are we a Nation of Laws or are we playing Survivor with our Justice System= 1000 people support ford.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13423 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
update from Paul Sperry

Protesters from several radical leftwing activist groups, including Cntr for Popular Democracy,Women's March,Indivisible,http://Moveon.org &Housing Works, are being bussed into DC to march on the Senate next week & disrupt any vote on Kavanaugh. They're meeting...

... tonight (Sun) at 7:30 PM for training at St. Stephens of Incarnation Church, 1525 Newton Street NW in the Mount Pleasant area of DC. This church will also provide lodging for the rable and act as their staging ground throughout the week. Protesters' jail bail, legal fees &...

. transportation being paid for by these leftist groups, many of which are funded by liberal mega donor George Soros and are desperate to derail President Trump's conservative SCOTUS nomination. (More details to come ...

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
To say that I would be "upset" should Kavanaugh not be confirmed because of this fallacious, slanderous bull would be a gross understatement.

I am seething, but for the time being I am maintaining my composure. Just barely however.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

The much reported incident - where Kavanaugh's mother took a judicial action involving Ford's parents - that action was routine and was not at all negative for the Blaseys.

There was a 1996 foreclosure action on the Blaseys, but it got resolved and the foreclosing company asked for the filing to be dismissed. Kavanaugh's mother approved the dismissal.

In the period 1995 to 1998 there were several actions against Ford's father involving foreclosure and a credit management company.

I saw this last week too, and it's conclusion was my understanding. I also saw Judge Jeanine last night and Gustofer is right in that she completely got it wrong. A bit surprising given her pedigree. It caught my attention because I just assumed that she was right and that I misheard the earlier report. No real there, there.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
From the Weekly Standard:

Blasey Ford's Female Classmate, Her Last Named Witness, Doesn't Recall Ever Attending Party With Kavanaugh

Christine Blasey Ford has claimed that four other people attended a small gathering at which she was allegedly assaulted by Brett Kavanaugh. Three of those people, PJ Smyth, Mark Judge, and Kavanaugh, have already denied any recollection of attending such a party.

On Saturday night, Leland Ingham Keyser, a classmate of Ford's at the all-girls school Holton-Arms and her final named witness, denied any recollection of attending a party with Brett Kavanaugh.

"Simply put, Ms. Keyser does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford," lawyer Howard J. Walsh said in a statement sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

CNN reports that " Keyser is a lifelong friend of Ford's."

Keyser previously coached golf at Georgetown University and is now executive producer of Bob Beckel's podcast. Keyser is the ex-wife of Beckel, a former Democratic operative and commentator. A search on OpenSecrets.org reveals Keyser's only political donation has been to former Democratic senator Byron Dorgan.

Keyser's denial, as a female lifelong friend and Ford's last named witness, is the most consequential development that has occurred since Ford publicly stepped forward last Sunday and detailed her allegations to the Washington Post. Ford's allegation of the 1982 incident was told to no one until a 2012 therapy session, when Kavanaugh was first touted in the media as the most likely GOP Supreme Court nominee.

All of Ford's named witnesses of the party, both male and female, have now denied any recollection of attending such a party.

https://www.weeklystandard.com...party-with-kavanaugh

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

I saw this last week too, and it's conclusion was my understanding. I also saw Judge Jeanine last night and Gustofer is right in that she completely got it wrong. A bit surprising given her pedigree. It caught my attention because I just assumed that she was right and that I misheard the earlier report. No real there, there.

This is inexcusable. I could understand it, somewhat, if it was some civilian commentator, but for someone of her claimed legal sophistication, there is no excuse. Even the facts she reported were untrue, even if the significance was uncertain.

It is a good reminder to be careful accepting such things on topics which you yourelf are unfamiliar. How many knew as soon as they heard it, that Gregg Jarrett was flat wrong when he discussed the function of a bullet button? All of us did, but the folks who are not familiar likely accepted it as true and accurate.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Christine Ford testifying in open session:

We don't know anything about this accuser; Can she weave a good tale? Can she elicit empathy? Is she naturally believable? Many (including POTUS) have said "Let's hear what she has to say". This could be dangerous. We have all known people who were likable and believable but were pathological liars. The stakes are too high to let her testify in open session.

Yes but when two parties are "believable" and one of them is making an accusation that will destroy the others life, just being believable is not good enough and everything else has to be taking into consideration and so far Brett Kavanaugh by far has the edge in credibility and I believe that will still be the case after his testimony and probably more so.

I am also hearing a lot of "I believe she believes this happened to her, but not with Brett Kavanaugh" which IMO is a very legitimate response giver her weak story and timing of it, questionable motives, 4 others of her witnesses deny Brett Kavanaugh was involved, and that 36 years passed.

Again this testimony is all about a couple RINO senators that want to hear her side of the story and IMO they will be satisfied with Brett Kavanaughs denial when all is done. Susan Collins in particular seems to insist on hearing the accusers testimony to cover her political ass.

Posts: 9777 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
You still don't get it? The left and right are team swamp they act in concert.

Washington politics is like professional wrestling. They come out and yell at each other on camera, then go back and have a drink together. Frown

Posts: 21168 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What do you think would happen if another man issued a statement confessing that he was the one who attacked, if that is the right word, Christine Blasey decades ago?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“A column that Senator Cory Booker wrote for a Stanford university newspaper 26 years ago in which he admitted to groping a female's breast when he was a teenager has resurfaced.

The decades-old column re-emerged this week given the controversy surrounding President Trump's U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and the allegations from a woman that he sexually assaulted her in high school.

Booker, a possible White House contender, has been among those calling for an FBI investigation into the assault claims that Christine Blasey Ford leveled against Kavanaugh…”

https://dailym.ai/2Q38vJh

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9137 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What do you think would happen if another man issued a statement confessing that he was the one who attacked, if that is the right word, Christine Blasey decades ago?

The democrats and fake news MSM would say he is a plant and a liar. The republicans would say "see I told you so".

What would really be interesting is if a woman came forward and said that she did it.

Posts: 9777 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“A column that Senator Cory Booker wrote for a Stanford university newspaper 26 years ago in which he admitted to groping a female's breast when he was a teenager has resurfaced.

The decades-old column re-emerged this week given the controversy surrounding President Trump's U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and the allegations from a woman that he sexually assaulted her in high school.

Booker, a possible White House contender, has been among those calling for an FBI investigation into the assault claims that Christine Blasey Ford leveled against Kavanaugh…”

https://dailym.ai/2Q38vJh

Posts: 11376 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
For some reason, Sen. Feinstein has never handed over the letter she claims to have received from Congresswoman Eshoo who said she received it from a constituent, Christine Blasey Ford.

A redacted version has circulated. Sen. Grassley has demanded the letter at least once, maybe more.

It occurs to me that the reason for this otherwise seeming recalcitrance is that statements to the Senate must be truthful or subject the provider to criminal penalties. It is prudent to provide few cut outs, buffers between the boss and the button pusher, at least to muddle the issue to discourage accusations.