SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Could it be?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If that image was real, it would be plastered everywhere. No?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This may be just a coincidence, but it gives an odd feeling

Christine Blasey Ford has a brother, Ralph Blassey III. The brother is a lawyer.

From 1989 to 2004, the brother was a litigation partner with Baker & Hostetler LLP in DC.

Baker & Hostetler does work with Glenn Simpson of Fusion GPS.

Baker & Hostetler is the law firm working w the Russian lawyer who set up Donald Trump Jr for the meeting in Trump Tower.

You could certainly argue that 2004 is too long ago to be relevant. Still leaves an uneasy feeling.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Claire has been on the fence... promising to give Kavanaugh 'serious consideration' ... but she's a NO vote.
I knew she would be a NO vote... but she had to make it about 'dark money' which she thinks will allow her the best opportunity to vote NO and still have a shot at re-election.

I think she just lost her re-election bid. Big Grin

Claire McCaskill Won’t Vote For Kavanaugh, But Her Reason Why Is ... Surprising

If anyone was wondering, Democrat Claire McCaskill is going to vote “no” on Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court.

McCaskill had previously said she would not base her decision on the thin allegations of sexual assault against Kavanaugh, but what she did base her decision on is rather surprising.

Free speech. She opposes Kavanaugh because of his adherence to free speech.

"He has revealed his bias against limits on campaign donations which places him completely out of the mainstream of this nation," McCaskill wrote in a statement posted to Twitter. "He wrote, ‘And I have heard very few people say that limits on contributions to candidates are unconstitutional although I for one tend to think those limits have some constitutional problems.’”

She also suggested that Kavanaugh would “give free reign [sic] to anonymous donors and foreign governments through their citizens to spend money to interfere and influence our elections with so-called ‘issue ads.’” She later tied him to Russia, stating that a Russian company “indicted for election interference is currently using Judge Kavanaugh’s opinion to argue for their innocence.”

McCaskill further said she was “uncomfortable about his view on Presidential power as it relates to the rule of law, and his position that corporations are people” but that his support of “unlimited donations and dark anonymous money, from even foreign interests” was the “determining factor” in her decision to vote against him.

McCaskill is alluding to the Citizens United Supreme Court case, which determined that political campaign spending was protected by the First Amendment. The Left disagrees with this, and continuously rails against the decision, even while accepting so-called dark money allowed by it.

McCaskill is one of the leading senate voices on the “believe all women” mantra that is permeating college campuses and bolstered by the #MeToo movement, so her claim to not consider the allegations against Kavanaugh is telling. Maybe she sees the writing on the wall, as she is currently struggling in her re-election campaign, and as more than 100 lawsuits from students accused of sexual assault on campus have resulted in favorable judge’s opinions that go against what McCaskill has been pushing for years.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...er-reason-ashe-schow

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The point has been raised earlier that if the Dems are going this nuts in trying to stop Kavanaugh, then the confirmation process for the next nominee will be absolute hell.

I say the Dems are throwing the kitchen sink at Kavanaugh, and that they'll be completely out of arguments, credibility (among themselves, among the Dem party, among Republicans, among potential witnesses in future hearings, and among the voters), morale, and whatever slack the American voters in general have been willing to cut them when the next nominee comes forward for confirmation. I think there'll be a great deal of ineffectual noise in the committee hearings, a little bit of noise on the Senate floor, and a smooooth confirmation process.

Then again, I'm just guessing like everyone else.
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
"He has revealed his bias against limits on campaign donations...

Actually, that's not a bad move for someone with no cards to play - who can argue with wanting to prevent politicians from getting political donations, and who likes rich people anyway? This almost sounds like, you know, term limits or something.

The problem is, of course, that the good Senator never mentioned this before during the hearing process and certainly doesn't seem to have asked Kavanaugh about it in any way. IOW, it's all too transparent as an excuse - it neatly avoids offending many people but accomplishes nothing else.

Yeah, I know - a politician? Facing reelection? Really?

Really. The girl's reduced her campaign to being trite.

Would you really want to be in a fight for your political life this year and have to fall back on something trite and all too obviously fake?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Actually, that's not a bad move for someone with no cards to play - who can argue with wanting to prevent politicians from getting political donations, and who likes rich people anyway?

The problem is, of course, that the good Senator never mentioned this before during the hearing process and certainly doesn't seem to have asked Kavanaugh about it in any way. IOW, it's all too transparent as an excuse - it neatly avoids offending many people but accomplishes nothing else.

Yeah, I know - a politician? Facing reelection? Really?

Really. The girl's reduced her campaign to being trite.

McCaskill is not on the Judiciary Committee and did not participate in the committee hearings, so asked no questions. No telling what she asked in a private meeting, if she met with him.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
This may be just a coincidence, but it gives an odd feeling

Christine Blasey Ford has a brother, Ralph Blassey III. The brother is a lawyer.

From 1989 to 2004, the brother was a litigation partner with Baker & Hostetler LLP in DC.

Baker & Hostetler does work with Glenn Simpson of Fusion GPS.

Baker & Hostetler is the law firm working w the Russian lawyer who set up Donald Trump Jr for the meeting in Trump Tower.

You could certainly argue that 2004 is too long ago to be relevant. Still leaves an uneasy feeling.

If you were to put all the players in this "coup attempt" in a big paper bag, shake it up and pour it out on the ground, they would all hit the ground holding hands (and that includes the fifth column MSM) Mad...

You want "collusion"...look no further than anything with a "D" attached to it!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
McCaskill

Ah, my mistake. I still can't find any real mention of her being concerned about Kavanaugh's confirmation in connection with campaign finance though.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
No telling what she asked in a private meeting, if she met with him.

McCaskill met with Kavanaugh in her Senate office.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Politico Article

Law & Crime Article

Interesting set of stories - Ed Whelan clerked for Scalia. Evidently, he has uncovered exonerating information and predicts Sen. Feinstein will be apologizing next week.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Y’all think this is bad? Just wait until RBG kicks the bucket! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Then we will see CRAZY LEFTISTS.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Y’all think this is bad? Just wait until RBG kicks the bucket! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Hopefully, they will be like the aliens in Mars Attacks when Slim Whitman sings "The Indian Love Call"....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Kavanaugh was just a tiny taste of the shitshow that will be RBG's replacement hearings.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
^^^This. Amy Coney Barrett.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:

I don't know if it will be Barrett, but you can be 100% certain it will be a woman.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:

I don't know if it will be Barrett, but you can be 100% certain it will be a woman.

And the "champions of women's rights" Democrats will treat her like dog shit, that's a given. Confused

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is why it is important to not cede an iota of ground on Kavanaugh.

Feinstein was particularly rough on Barrett previously on her Catholicism. Some commentators earlier, when Ford's accusations first came up, were suggesting dumping Kavanaugh and moving on to Barrett on the supposition that she would be unassailable as a female. I hope Barrett is the next nominee, but it won't be any easier if the Democrat's tactics aren't blunted here and now with Kavanaugh.

Kudos to Grassely, Cocaine Mitch and the White House for standing their ground. In earlier years the Republican administration might have capitulated, and taken their chances with the next nominee.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Christine Ford's lawyers have just said they want to talk about an appearance by Ford, but "Monday is not possible"

Hope Grassley doesn't fall for it. They are just trying to stretch this out.

Diff topic: DEM Sen Baldwin is having a Washington fund raiser next month. Ford's lawyers (Debra Katz and Lisa Banks) are listed as headliners in a “cocktails and conversation” event for Baldwin

a source said the October 1 event is slated to take place at their law firm Katz, Marshall & Banks.

https://hotair.com/archives/20...orneys-bargain-time/

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Grassley is quiet, and it can get me worked up at times, but I'm sure he will hold firm.

He knows the deal.

There is NO reason she cannot either go to Washington or have the questioning done in California. Public or private. Excepting that she knows she will be exposed for the fraud she is.

If, for some reason, I believed my testimony was relevant to the absolute future of this country you better believe I would be ready to board a plane to any destination on the planet at a moments notice.

Unless of course, I was lying....

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
If this can be believed, it would really damage her credibility. Way too long to cut and paste.

On Monday Sept. 17th, Christine Blasey Ford’s high school yearbooks suddenly disappeared from the web.

http://cultofthe1st.blogspot.c...-high-school_19.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post