SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The hearings & interviews were over. It was time to vote.

And Feinstein pulls this.

I hope the paybacks are worthy of the dirty tricks.

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Apparently there is no Statute of Limitations in Maryland for sex crimes. I read that somewhere online in the last few days.
Of course she has no idea where it happened...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah everyone knows it’s just a delay tactic.

I’m hoping the (R)s and Kavanaugh have a rabbit in the hat to pull out when the time comes (ie, iron clad alabi), and they are just reeling the Leftists in to set the hook.

There doesn't need to be a rabbit. She claims she doesn't know where or when this so called evil deed took place. She didn't report it to the police, so no police report exists. There isn't a prosecutor in the country that would put this before a jury. That's all the committee needs to do, is report what is known. Nothing, that's what is known. Make a public statement to that affect and be done with it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There may be a little more to it than that. Give her every opportunity to speak on Monday. Whether she does or she doesn't, women in this country will form judgements about her. Don't let her speak, and women in this country will form judgements about the Republicans. Will all this back and forth and the inaccessibility of relevant evidence (FBI investigation? of what?), the best bet is to let women form judgements about her rather than letting her be this amorphous and undefined person claiming something happened.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Now they are going after Shelley Moore Capito, R-WV, who is a graduate of the accuser’s girls school, to stand with the sister and vote no.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine a guy so clean, that the entirety of the dirtbags machine could only dig up a very shady gal to say he maybe did something when he was 17???
Any human with even two brain cells that occasionally pass each other in the night ought to be able to smell this rat.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Mitch has been very quiet on this. Now I am not a fan but he was a stalwart with Gorsuch. I wonder if he is working things behind the scenes, prepping an unorthodox vote, etc. I imagine he would be.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Mitch has been very quiet on this. Now I am not a fan but he was a stalwart with Gorsuch. I wonder if he is working things behind the scenes, prepping an unorthodox vote, etc. I imagine he would be.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell expressed confidence on Thursday that Kavanaugh will ultimately be confirmed. McConnell responded affirmatively when asked if he had confidence that Kavanaugh would be confirmed, telling CNN, "Oh yeah."

https://us.cnn.com/2018/09/20/...testimony/index.html

He's a swamp donkey but he's our swamp donkey.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Here is the only article I've seen that points out the problem with wanting an investigation:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19...-jennings/index.html

. . . I asked retired FBI agent and CNN Contributor James Gagliano how the bureau might tackle an investigation like this. He told me: "She doesn't know what party and she isn't sure about the time period. If she's not sure when and where, and who was there, then it makes it really difficult to determine the veracity of these allegations."

Which means we are left with the stories of three people Ford says were in the room, and two of them say this allegation is false and the event described did not happen. . .

Since this story broke I've asked myself the same question. How do you investigate this further? If we assume the reporting of this is accurate, there does not seem to be any way to investigate this. The accuser can't provide details that would allow investigators to corroborate or refute the accusation. There is no known date/time of the alleged incident. There is no known location for the alleged incident. The only two people whom the accuser can recall being present have denied the allegation, and there are no other known witnesses. Therefore, there are no viable leads.

Setting political agendas aside, how does an objective investigator go about working the case, with no viable leads? Possibly a re-interview of the three people involved could yield new information, but at this point it seems unlikely.

It would benefit everyone to be able to definitively prove or disprove the allegation, but at this point I don't see how it could be done, unless there is additional evidence out there that has not been reported.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Two things about this story don’t add up to me.

First, there was likely not one party. It seems far more likely that in these kids hs days there were quite a few such parties.

Secondly, at least in my day, females did not attend such parties by themselves. There was always two or more females, or none at all. The females watched each others backs, always within audible or visual range unless one had indicated they were going off for private voluntary activity. It stikes me as more than odd that Ford doesn’t remember any female with her, or how she returned home.

All this suggests that this story is an arrangement of experiences, a little this, not too much that, no detail to be tripped up over. They may have overshot this a little naming two males who say no such thing happened.

I think it is concocted for the purpose to preventing Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it is concocted for the purpose to preventing Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

Well now, there's the understatement of the thread. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

McCaskill is alluding to the Citizens United Supreme Court case, which determined that political campaign spending was protected by the First Amendment. The Left disagrees with this, and continuously rails against the decision, even while accepting so-called dark money allowed by it.

Ths is a somewhat Soros subject with the GDC's and their ' Republican' sycophants.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...er-reason-ashe-schow

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I suspect it was set up by the lawyer. She and her mother (Gloria Allred) are some of the sleaziest ones around.

(I realize you are/were a lawyer, and I don't associate you with the sleazebags.)

ETA: this was in response to JALLEN's post a few above it.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster on Sep 06:
This hearing is proof that there should never be another hearing for a SCOTUS nominee. Written questions, written answers, up or down vote - move on. Ridiculous nonsense. Not a single vote will be influenced by this farce.

I reiterate my position from 2 weeks ago.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FORMER SCALIA LAW CLERK Drops Pictures and Evidence That Blows Christine Ford’s Case Wide Open

"Is this a case of mistaken identity?
Accuser Christine Blasey Ford is waging a war on Trump’s SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh with decades-old, unsubstantiated claims of sexual assault in an effort to derail his confirmation to the Supreme Court.

Judge Kavanaugh has categorically denied the allegations and even told Senator Orin Hatch he wasn’t at the party in question.

Ed Whelan, Justice Scalia’s former law clerk and president of conservative think tank the Ethics and Public Policy Center (EPPC), came out in defense of Brett Kavanaugh and said compelling evidence will come out next week exonerating Kavanaugh.

On Thursday afternoon, Ed Whelan started dropping pictures and evidence that may blow Christine Ford’s case wide open."

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"Mistaken identity"? I don't think so. Everything points to the commies' desperate and deliberate attempt to destroy the reputation of a squeaky clean man and derail this nomination. Like I said before, these maggots will sling all kinds of shit on the wall hoping something will stick. Ain't happening.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Thursday afternoon, Ed Whelan started dropping pictures and evidence that may blow Christine Ford’s case wide open."

Now the left will enthusiastically scream that there's no way it could be Chris Garrett and that it's all a witch hunt by the Republicans. Just pointing out the typical double standard that they live by. Never mind that they're ready to convict Kavanaugh with more flimsy evidence.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
FORMER SCALIA LAW CLERK Drops Pictures and Evidence That Blows Christine Ford’s Case Wide Open

"Is this a case of mistaken identity?
Accuser Christine Blasey Ford is waging a war on Trump’s SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh with decades-old, unsubstantiated claims of sexual assault in an effort to derail his confirmation to the Supreme Court.

Judge Kavanaugh has categorically denied the allegations and even told Senator Orin Hatch he wasn’t at the party in question.

Ed Whelan, Justice Scalia’s former law clerk and president of conservative think tank the Ethics and Public Policy Center (EPPC), came out in defense of Brett Kavanaugh and said compelling evidence will come out next week exonerating Kavanaugh.

There are details here not shown in the letter to Feinstein, the text of which I posted in this thread several days ago. Where can we authenticate these details?

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Ed Whelan's twitter feed

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are details here not shown in the letter to Feinstein, the text of which I posted in this thread several days ago. Where can we authenticate these details?
I don't know. Must be stuff she said in the WAPO article?