SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Ed Whelan's twitter feed

That Twitter is quite the instrument of free speech, isn’t it? All should be heard, and all that.

Some of those people are probably on juries, too.

My goodness!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
JALLEN I think the details he used are in the WAPO interview with the accuser, but they want $$$ to read it now so I'll just take his work for it about the additions to the letter.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I think Para locked this thread because he thought this whole "sexual harassment" story was so stupid, and so obviously false and contrived solely to delay the confirmation that it kind of disgusted him that we all were spending so much time on it. Since he has re-opened the thread, it's the ONLY thing we've discussed. I'm wondering if we're making a mistake. 5 pages, now.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10737 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
JALLEN I think the details he used are in the WAPO interview with the accuser, but they want $$$ to read it now so I'll just take his work for it about the additions to the letter.

Ed Whelan is a serious, top notch guy, so I have no reason to doubt his analysis, but sometimes on the internet, things get jumbled, overstated, transmogerizerized.

I like to see for myself.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I think Para locked this thread because he thought this whole "sexual harassment" story was so stupid, and so obviously false and contrived solely to delay the confirmation that it kind of disgusted him that we all were spending so much time on it. Since he has re-opened the thread, it's the ONLY thing we've discussed. I'm wondering if we're making a mistake. 5 pages, now.

I think he reopened this thread and the thread by chellim1 that was also locked because of
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Reopened, since we seem to be coming to the end of this ridiculous, shameful attempt to derail a qualified candidate.

Q

Posts: 26779 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I hope Whelan has more. He promised 100% vindication. What he has put out so far is far from evidence or proof of anything. It is conjecture at best. And if I were Chris Garrett I'd be pissed. He is basically being thrown under the bus and accused of sexual assault based on nothing other than a theory that Ford has a case of mistaken identity.

Posts: 6070 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I hope Whelan has more. What he has put out so far is far from evidence or proof of anything. It is conjecture at best. And if I were Chris Garrett I'd be pissed. He is basically being thrown under the bus and accused of sexual assault based on nothing other than a theory that Ford has a case of mistaken identity.
I'd venture to say he didn't put his best ammo on front street, but more of an appetizer before the main course.

Personally I think it was just to get the "there may be another reasonable explanation" out there, rather than just a he said / she said.

Those dudes look nearly identical in high school and IIRC Chris Garrett has been interviewed already as part of Kavanaugh's background check. So he's kind of in the mess already.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
All of the year books at the Holton Arms all girls prep school where Ms. Ford attended were scrubbed from the web site but not before some fast acting blogger got there and captured some pertinent pages. Quite the party school.

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8555 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
^^^^^ I suspect it was set up by the lawyer. She and her mother (Gloria Allred) are some of the sleaziest ones around.

(I realize you are/were a lawyer, and I don't associate you with the sleazebags.)

flashguy

Wrong mother. Allred’s daughter is Lisa Bloom, not Lisa Banks.

The other guy’s lawyer is always a sleaze bag.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
What a zoo at Susan Collins office and I bet not one of them ever voted for her or ever will. Sounds like she is getting pretty tired of them and the threats she and her staff are getting, I certainly hope so.

Posts: 9777 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

everything I have seen of Kavanaugh indicated he is scary smart and a very decent man.

This attack by Christine Ford, Feinstein, and the DEM dirty tricks team is absolutely infuriating.

Decades of public service and outstanding reputation brought to a screeching halt by a DEM woman from CA who throws out the flimsiest of claims from a high school grope session.

Her high school year books paint quite a diff picture than the prim and proper assumption one would have of a high priced all girl private high school.

Republican senators better not blow this.

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chairman Grassley better step up and tell them not just no, but hell no.

Christine Blasey Ford's legal team has asked the Senate Judiciary Committee to agree to certain terms before she sits down for a potential interview over her accusation that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her, two sources told Fox News on Thursday night. Among the terms: Only members of the committee -- no lawyers -- can question her; Kavanaugh cannot be in the room at the time; and Kavanaugh must be questioned first.

Posts: 491 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For Feinstein, her involvement in this debacle is a last gasp grab for re-election. I'm sure she has seen the results across the country in regards to younger inexperienced commies upsetting older establishment commies in political races. Her ass is on the chopping block, and she knows it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Republican senators better not blow this.

I don’t think it is proper to blame collectively for what is the act of 51 independent individuals. Ted Cruz isn't able to compel a vote from Mike Lee, etc. While they vote often on party lines when necessary, nobody can make them do so. Constituents, state interests, personal assessments vary all over the place.

The repeal of Obamacare was a good example. Who gets the blame for McCain’s vote? McCain. Why weren’t there enough votes? The voters of those states didn’t provide enough Republican Senators.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
For Feinstein, her involvement in this debacle is a last gasp grab for re-election. I'm sure she has seen the results across the country in regards to younger inexperienced commies upsetting older establishment commies in political races. Her ass is on the chopping block, and she knows it.

All of them are. The pressure is on, every one is paying attention, the stakes are the highest, especially for those God Damned Commies in Trump states who may be damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
here is the Fox story mentioned by Sr_Bull above:

the attorneys said it was "not possible" for Ford to testify at a hearing scheduled for Monday by Senate Republicans

they reiterated that she has a "strong preference" for an FBI probe beforehand.

Only members of the committee -- no lawyers -- can question her;

Kavanaugh cannot be in the room at the time

Kavanaugh should be questioned first.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

how can Kavanaugh possibly be questioned first?

He doesn't even know what she will claim as the "crime"

Why shouldn't he be in the room when she testifies ? He has to defend himself.

And Grassley should tell Ford's lawyers "it is Monday, or we will vote without Ford's testimony"

Time for the Republican senators to show some fire in their bellies

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
Chairman Grassley better step up and tell them not just no, but hell no.

Christine Blasey Ford's legal team has asked the Senate Judiciary Committee to agree to certain terms before she sits down for a potential interview over her accusation that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her, two sources told Fox News on Thursday night. Among the terms: Only members of the committee -- no lawyers -- can question her; Kavanaugh cannot be in the room at the time; and Kavanaugh must be questioned first.

This lady has some freakin' nerve. Since when does the accuser dictate to the accused (who is presumed innocent) and those charged with investigating her allegations how everything must proceed?

Grassley, don't you dare capitulate to this egregious nonsense.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are her attorneys so stupid as to assume Judge Kavanaugh isn’t going to want to respond to her direct testimony?

Or that the Senators may develop a different line of questions for the judge based off her testimony?

They’ve turned this shit show into a kangaroo court in a banana republic.

Posts: 491 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They want to force questioning by the old white men on the Committee rather than have Ford questioned by someone else, a female lawyer maybe.

Also, the first liar never has a chance. Once they can be sure of Kavanaugh’s statements, they can spin whatever bullshit they want.

And above all else, wrangling about this buys time, precious time. Just don’t let that vote be taken!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Take it for whatever entertainment value you find in it. Me, I'm making bets with myself as to exactly how long it'll take for the Dems' supply of nonsense to burn out. Call me crazy, but I'm starting to wonder whether there may actually be some (slight) probability that this nomination will quietly sail through the actual confirmation vote with no more than a token display of histrionics.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post