SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
RHINO, Tom Cotton is from Arkansas, sir.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything in the Constitution about a SCOTUS "swing vote".

The fact is, justices have both grown and changed during tenure on the court.

"Swing vote" is a phrase used by the media and court watchers to describe political results of judicial actions. It is a shame to see judges use such language.

Oliver Wendall Holmes was once ripped in the press because he made a decision that the "watchers" were sure he would decide another way.

In response, Holmes told an interviewer, "I would rather be right than consistent."

Justices on the Supreme Court are not always consistent as they grow and consider the facts and law before them.

Holmes wrote, "The law embodies the story of a nation's history. It cannot be looked at as if it only contained the axioms and corallaries of a book of mathematics. In order to know what the law is, we must know what it has been and what it tends to become."

Kavanaugh has a philosophy different from Holmes but we can never be sure of how a justice's judicial philosophy will flesh out over time.

Personally, I would like to see justices grow and learn in office. The good ones do. Perhaps Kagan and Sotomayor will learn from the more textual justices over time.

The danger of the Court seeing itself in partisan terms is that it threatens the social value of the court itself.

Stevens, Marshall, Brennan and Breyer and so many others did not rule the day on the court because their judicial philosophy was rejected by the majority. They were not partisans but judicial ideologues.

The statement about a "swing vote" may have been more of a back-of-envelope statement that partisans and the public would understand.

For the general public, supreme court decisionmaking is either witchcraft or right/wrong based on whether one likes the result.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Chuckles is blathering now.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Chuckles is blathering now.

And the “mute button” got pushed on my TV remote.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2722 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
idiot rocket surgeon husband Mark
Such a sad fall from a noble profession as an Astronaut to a gun control hack.

From hero to zero faster than an interstellar spacecraft.

Wapner and her retarded Bailiff/Puppeteer.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, from what I'm hearing right now, basically the dems are admitting they screwed the good judge so bad they are afraid he'll rule against them out of spite.

Schumer....what a turd.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Feinstein looked defeated and ready to cry.

Posts: 2967 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Feinstein looked defeated and ready to cry.

Ahhh. Life's little pleasures.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8159 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
So, from what I'm hearing right now, basically the dems are admitting they screwed the good judge so bad they are afraid he'll rule against them out of spite.

Schumer....what a turd.

Yeah, they bit off more than they could chew.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Sergeant at Arms will restore order in the gallery...

These people have no idea the damage they are doing to their cause.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Liberals crying.... and yelling...

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
The Sgt. at Arms needs some bear strength pepper spray.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Keep it up nimrods Smile November is looking better an better!

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
How are these people even getting in the building? This is ridiculous.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Pence just had security drag multiple protesters out of the gallery. How these animals are allowed in there is absolutely mind boggling.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's going to keep up, as these little commie grenades keep going off.

The Sergeant at Arms needs to break out the whole can of whoopass.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gets me is, these protestors don’t have the decency to respect the rules of the Senate and have to make a spectacle. Throw all their asses out and maybe “bump” their head a few times on the way out.

Posts: 2164 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad the cameras wern't allowed to show these batshit protestors being dragged out.

Posts: 12826 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Where's the freaking national guard at times like these?

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post