SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Garland, except with respect to guns and government power, really isn't that bad a guy...
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15502 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
This is what th lefties will do, when RBG croaks.

Actually, the guy on the white horse will kick them out of Valencia.....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Food for thought. Could ANY other President have overcome this onslaught?

No way.

Trump, perhaps against their will, taught the RINOs how to grow a bigger set of balls and fight back. I think recent events became a huge wake up call for Graham, McConnell, Collins, etc. in that they saw first hand how extreme and violent the Democrats have become. Even McConnell has acknowledged the physical danger Republican politicians are facing now.

Now they have an idea what it is like to be in Trump's shoes, facing attacks, slander, protests almost on a daily basis.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
interview w Mitch McConnell

https://youtu.be/V_-Njxrxcsw

seen at CT

I wish he had been more concerned about finding the guilty. The way we stop the DEM false claim tactic is to punish the liars and conspirators.

People who yell and scream, act as uncontrolled mobs, should be kept away from lawmakers.

Some reports have noted that Avenatti's tactics helped to fight the DEMs. His even more outrageous claims allowed the REPs to lightly attack Christine Ford while using Swetnick's claims as more clearly outrageous lies.

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

Doc, I think you missed the point of my post. Wink

Q

Posts: 26780 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Food for thought. Could ANY other President have overcome this onslaught?

Call it leadership, call it control, call it setting an example by his focus under fire... battle hardened. I dunno what to call it. It's as if he elevated the cacophony of everything to the point where even this mayhem didn't REALLY stand out so much that it was insurmountable. And he's demonstrated steadfastness in the face of chaos in the media.

This is what has the left out of their element. Trump thrives on the confrontation and the combat of personal attack. They don't know how to counteract it they have never had to before it's all new territory for them.

And what really has them worried is it seems to be contagious to the rest of the party. This may be a awakening of the entire Republican party.

The Democrat party could be largely over and done with after November for the forseeable future.

I do believe history is going to look at Trump as one of the if not the greatest President of modern history.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8555 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Final vote expected at 5pm ET

(CSPAN)

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
My sister (bless her heart) has threatened to move ot Canada. Again.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think I did, too.

Posts: 2967 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
More likely a her the next time.

^^^^^
This, big time.
Absolutely will be a woman if Trump gets a shot at replacing RBG.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 370 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I don't think this has been posted. I absorbed every word of it; it's a wonderful and important read:

Trump the Indestructible
by Conrad Black

Kavanaugh will be confirmed, and Trump will solidify his own hold on power in the midterms.
The entire febrile effort to delegitimize President Donald Trump continues to be based on the ability of the Trump-hating media to confect or unveil a Trumpocidal deus ex machina every two weeks. I have just learned from a dear friend of many years, an intelligent and reasonable man who happens to be in the camp of the Trump-haters, what is being thrown into the line as the successor anti-Trump story to the Kavanaugh drama. The optimism about defeating that nomination is fading, and the sobering passage of a few days is melting the ardent hope that the fragile and completely uncorroborated account of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford would sink that candidacy. The last-trench defense on that subject is already filled with the retreating forces of the anti-Trump media. The smooth-faced talking heads are earnestly wagging in unison across the channels as they find the judge’s lack of a “judicial temperament” to be “concerning.” My friend has enlightened me that as this cause célèbre evaporates like so many others, from Warsaw to Charlottesville to Pyongyang to Helsinki, the Trump presidency will be brought down by the New York Times’ revelation of a supposed tax fraud by Trump involving hundreds of millions of dollars. The president has been constantly subjected to tax audits for nearly 40 years. This is another clunker, after so many. I doubt that it will be more effective than the Times’ effort to fell Kavanaugh with the suspicion that he “may have” thrown ice-water at someone at a collegiate social occasion 35 years ago.

Even Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee, the last of the Never Trump Republicans in the Senate except for Jeff Flake of Arizona and Ben Sasse of Nebraska, acknowledges that the Republican majority in the Senate is holding and that Kavanaugh will be confirmed by Saturday. (In Sasse’s relatively agile mind, principle, opportunism, and snobbery are clearly contending fiercely.) The imprimatur of abject failure was placed on the Kavanaugh-temperament issue by the irreplaceable Hillary Clinton when she declared that Kavanaugh lacked the “stability” and “integrity” to be a Supreme Court justice. That comment from that source practically ensured his confirmation. Even my knowledgeable and highly intelligent anti-Trump friend, whose name would be familiar to most readers, acknowledges that it will be a cliff-hanger in the midterms in both houses. It won’t in the Senate, where there is minimal chance of avoiding some Republican gains, but the fact that the learned anti-Trump clarion call has become so faint is a persuasive barometer of the pre-electoral weather.

The mighty thundercloud of emasculating militant feminism, which on Friday seemed to be taking the lead over the good sense of the public with its lust for a regime of denunciation and the condemnation of men with no evidence, has almost evaporated. Not with a bang but a whimper does control of the Supreme Court pass to constitutionalists who believe that the intentions of the Constitution’s authors should be respected. (They weren’t framers and should not be so described.) With less than five weeks to go before the midterm elections, and the president running the most strenuous midterm-election campaign in history, his enemies are desperately grasping at anything that might avert the confirmation of the Trump ascendancy.

Just as he calculated that by speaking for all those who despised the entire incumbent political system he could win the Republican nomination, and that he could win by designing a campaign to exploit the possibilities of gaining a majority in the Electoral College rather than the popular vote (as five of his predecessors did, by design or otherwise), he is now exploiting the fact that there is no leader of the opposition in the American system, and between presidential elections he has no rival. The likely outcome is the most favorable midterm result since Franklin D. Roosevelt won nine additional congressional districts and gained nine senators in 1934. Even now, though the bunk about impeachment has subsided, Trump’s enemies have little idea of how profoundly hated the OBushinton era, 1989 to 2017, had become, as a time of sleaze and incompetence and stagnation. Now, in what is practically a full-employment economy, wages for the least well-paid are rising. Amazon and other retailers grumble about $15 an hour for unskilled work, but it is the first time people in that economic bracket have had real increases of purchasing power and the lack of fear of joblessness in more than 20 years.

If Judge Kavanaugh is confirmed and the Republicans hold both houses of the Congress, it will be the greatest and swiftest ascension to comprehensive power in all branches of American government in history. A measurement of how the tide has shifted is the disappearance from public consciousness of the Mueller inquiry. The number of Trump-haters who are still clinging to that waterlogged life-vest is statistically trivial. It was just six weeks ago, when Michael Cohen’s plea bargain was announced and Paul Manafort was convicted (of offenses that occurred a decade before he knew the president), that Trump’s enemies ululated their triumph and proclaimed, in the words of one often-published Trump-hater, that “The fat lady is singing; it’s almost over.” She wasn’t and it isn’t. It has only just begun, and it will get better. Trump isn’t an aberrant interlude; he is a sea change. He has a mandate to clean up Washington and he plans to fulfill it.

https://www.nationalreview.com...-kavanaugh-fighters/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11126 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
quote:

I think I did, too.

I suppose I did. The lefties will prepare to march on Valencia? Will attack Aragon? Will cast sideways glances at Charleton Heston? The swarthy looking chaps on the right are actually his allies, the Banu Hud rulers of Zaragoza (lived there several years), so I guess I took the picture literally? Because I do think the GOP and their allies will go all El Cid on the Dems the next time they even think of doing this again....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There is a very entertaining and informative essay by Jonah Goldberg, too lengthy to inflict in full here, but exceedingly worth a read.

The Price of Victory

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think I did, too.

I suppose I did. The lefties will prepare to march on Valencia? Will attack Aragon? Will cast sideways glances at Charleton Heston? The swarthy looking chaps on the right are actually his allies, the Banu Hud rulers of Zaragoza (lived there several years), so I guess I took the picture literally? Because I do think the GOP and their allies will go all El Cid on the Dems the next time they even think of doing this again....

I believe the point of the picture that was posted, is that even though “El Cid” had died, he was propped up on the horse in order to rally the troops to fight. The main point is that even in death, they can still be useful, and that the Dems will do the same when RBG passes from the scene.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2722 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Quote from Susan Collins speech today:
"That Judge Kavanaugh is more of a centrist than some of his critics maintain is reflected in the fact that he and Chief Judge Merrick Garland voted the same way in 93 percent of the cases that they heard together. Indeed, Chief Judge Garland joined in more than 96 percent of the majority opinions authored by Judge Kavanaugh, dissenting only once."

This is a bit surprising. I did not expect Judge Kavanaugh to announce that he would overturn Roe v Wade at his first chance, but I guess I was expecting more than 7% difference from an Obama nominee. What I am missing here?

Merrick Garland isn’t as leftist as Zippy’s previous SCOTUS nominees. But if the Dems had taken the senate Zippy would’ve withdrawn his nomination and put forth a full nut leftist.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9138 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roll out the Un-Classified \ Un-Redacted FISA Warrant Application etc. to keep up the momentum to the Midterms.

The dems might of out dem'd themselves heading into the midterms.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13423 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12826 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
There is a very entertaining and informative essay by Jonah Goldberg, too lengthy to inflict in full here, but exceedingly worth a read.

The Price of Victory

Thanks JALLEN, that was great!

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You know this is coming today:

Posts: 34077 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think I did, too.

I believe the point of the picture that was posted, is that even though “El Cid” had died, he was propped up on the horse in order to rally the troops to fight. The main point is that even in death, they can still be useful, and that the Dems will do the same when RBG passes from the scene.

Got it, although in Ireland we just call that a wake... Smile