SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Guys, Jesus. Whatever. Let's move on. Damn.

Post a picture, then spend half a page talking about what it means or was supposed to mean, or what you think it means. Really, come on.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
There is a very entertaining and informative essay by Jonah Goldberg, too lengthy to inflict in full here, but exceedingly worth a read.

The Price of Victory

Big Grin :

“Sick of a Republican party that tried too hard to work within the borders of what the mainstream media deemed acceptable rhetoric and tactics, [Trump’s] voters loved it when he gleefully singled out reporters by name, like a kid going after ants with a magnifying glass on a summer day.

“The problem for journalists is that, having refused at every turn to learn their lessons, from Walter Duranty to Daniel Schorr to Dan Rather, they have repeatedly responded by doubling down on their worst instincts and groupthink. And now, as Trump turns his MAGAfying glass on them, they are intensifying their worst habits.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47467 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Merrick Garland isn’t as leftist as Zippy’s previous SCOTUS nominees. But if the Dems had taken the senate Zippy would’ve withdrawn his nomination and put forth a full nut leftist.
Agreed - it was Obama daring McConnell - either approve an older, mostly centrist SCOTUS judge for him (Garland), or roll the dice and when Hillary likely won, deal with a full on radical leftist. Hillary likely would have width-drawn him and put up one of her nutty picks.

McConnell rolled the Hard 6 in betting on the American people and Trump.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad you all are so happy but I am holding my breath until the final vote at five tonight. I just don’t trust the GDCs and what they might pull at the last minute.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10591 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a very entertaining and informative essay by Jonah Goldberg, too lengthy to inflict in full here, but exceedingly worth a read.

The Price of Victory

An excellent analysis of the current climate, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
^^^^
I agree. Garland isn't a left wing hack. He seemed pretty anti-gun but a centerist in most other things.

And minds can be changed. Witness certain allegedly "conservative" justices that turned out to be not so conservative, after all.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Want to see the left go nuts? Have Trump nominate him to replace RGB. The'll go all in assassinating his character.

I'll probably get a crapton of pushback on this, but I'd be perfectly fine if Trump did that, because it would put the left in an entirely untenable position, and, as noted, Garland ain't all that bad.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I've seen various times for the confirmation vote. Examples:

3 to 5
4 to 5
5 pm

CBS says

The final Senate vote is likely to occur at around 5 p.m. ET, with an expected 50-48 margin in favor of confirming Judge Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

adding: CSPAN says the vote possible as early as 3:30 pm ET

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remember the horrible protests that took place when Kagan and Sotomayor were confirmed for SCOTUS?

Right

Elena Kagan: ‘It’s Not So Clear Whether We’ll Have’ Swing-Vote On SCOTUS

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything in the Constitution about a SCOTUS "swing vote". Maybe you can borrow Ruthie's copy and point out this detail, huh?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:

The Price of Victory

Thanks JALLEN, that was great!

Agreed. Thank you for posting.

I loved this part especially:

"My favorite fecal nugget in the fog is the reply, again offered hourly, that Republicans have no right to complain about “hardball tactics” because Mitch McConnell declined to give Merrick Garland a hearing. Even if you concede — which I emphatically do not — that what Cocaine Mitch did was an outrage, this argument is so obtuse, so morally stunted, so non-sequiturially nonsensical it fills me with a vein-popping rage that would ruin my chances for confirmation as dog catcher (for which I am eminently qualified, by the way)."

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I just sent a short thank you email to Senator Collins even though i'm stuck behind the MA iron curtain. She stepped up big when it was time to go all in. I hope that she and the rest of the super-moderate Republicans have now found their souls.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2415 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:

The Price of Victory

Thanks JALLEN, that was great!

Agreed. Thank you for posting.

I loved this part especially:

"My favorite fecal nugget in the fog is the reply, again offered hourly, that Republicans have no right to complain about “hardball tactics” because Mitch McConnell declined to give Merrick Garland a hearing. Even if you concede — which I emphatically do not — that what Cocaine Mitch did was an outrage, this argument is so obtuse, so morally stunted, so non-sequiturially nonsensical it fills me with a vein-popping rage that would ruin my chances for confirmation as dog catcher (for which I am eminently qualified, by the way)."

I have long disagreed that “icing” Garland was unjustified, let alone an outrage. I believe that was following ample precedent and the Biden Rule, to avoid SC confirmations in a Presidential election year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if Daines doesn't come back from his daughters wedding to vote, do you really trust
Murkowski to vote present?

Posts: 1117 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if Daines doesn't come back from his daughters wedding to vote, do you really trust
Murkowski to vote present?

McConnell would then hold the vote open until Daines gets back from his daughters wedding. There's no time limit. He would fly back and vote. So... Murkowski would gain nothing.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Remember the horrible protests that took place when Kagan and Sotomayor were confirmed for SCOTUS?

Right

Elena Kagan: ‘It’s Not So Clear Whether We’ll Have’ Swing-Vote On SCOTUS

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything in the Constitution about a SCOTUS "swing vote". Maybe you can borrow Ruthie's copy and point out this detail, huh?

Her interview was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen from a SC justice. Basically an admission that she is a completely entrenched partisan.

What is preventing her from being a swing vote? Why is she locked into the left? She can venture into the middle any time she pleases. She instead wants a Republican president to appoint someone who will agree with her more often rather than someone who shares a conservative judicial philosophy.

Posts: 6070 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is preventing her from being a swing vote? Why is she locked into the left? She can venture into the middle any time she pleases. She instead wants a Republican president to appoint someone who will agree with her more often rather than someone who shares a conservative judicial philosophy.

Exactly. Why is it a given that a Democrat President will appoint hard-core leftists to the Court, who should be approved without question, but that there should be a battle to the death when a Republican appoints someone who wants to interpret the Constitution as it is written rather than how they want it to be?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
This is for you guys that still aren't sleeping well at night over your SCOTUS concerns.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15771 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
This is for you guys that still aren't sleeping well at night over your SCOTUS concerns.

Amen Razz

We are winning! Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10591 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thursday night on Tucker, the subject of investigation and potential prosecution of Julie Swetnick was raised in a conversation between Tucker and Alan Dershowitz. Like those people whose names were given to the FBI in an attempt to corroborate Christine Ford’s allegations (e.g. Leland Keyser), Swetnick also filed a sworn statement “under penalty of perjury,” in making her outlandish accusations.

Dershowitz said that Swetnick’s claims are demonstrably false and that it appears Kavanaugh and her never met. He says Swetnick should be brought to trial and if convicted, be sentenced for perjury. Avanatti should also be prosecuted. Dershowitz said that a false affidavit cannot be allowed to remain “on the record” if information exists that it’s false. If the “under penalty of felony perjury” statement we heard so often during Senate Judiciary Committee testimony is to mean anything, this has to be addressed. Further, the two of them said that as important as it is to protect rape victims, it is equally important to protect those falsely accused of such a heinous crime.

Posts: 13381 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Price of Victory

Considering what it took to get this far, and considering what the Dems did to prevent the confirmation, I'm kinda confused. He wants to be able to throw away a hard-won bird in hand because the Dems will claim that the SCOTUS is biased, and he'd be willing to do so if {miraculus mirabilis} the Dems came out and abjectly apologized for their behavior. I think we ought to go ahead and go through the process of fighting it out - lance the boil rather than hoping it'll just go away or waiting until the Donkeys decide to take a road trip to Tarsus.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
]

I think you are overestimating the amount of stress people currently have over this. Discussion doesn’t equal stress. It’s a discussion forum and it’s a pretty important even in our lives. Just because people are discussing it doesn’t mean they are losing sleep over it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15261 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post