SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
protesters gathering and shouting their zombie chants

This is where the DEMs have taken things - attempted power grab by threatening screaming mobs

Police are now clearing the steps of protesters
quite a few zip tied by police

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The Price of Victory

Considering what it took to get this far, and considering what the Dems did to prevent the confirmation, I'm kinda confused. He wants to be able to throw away a hard-won bird in hand because the Dems will claim that the SCOTUS is biased, and he'd be willing to do so if {miraculus mirabilis} the Dems came out and abjectly apologized for their behavior. I think we ought to go ahead and go through the process of fighting it out - lance the boil rather than hoping it'll just go away or waiting until the Donkeys decide to take a road trip to Tarsus.

You sound confused. Are you tripping over the series of tweets by Polimath?

Agreeing with a point doesn’t mean you advocate for it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I am confused. We should give up a hard-won result if the Dems just apologize? Or was that Polimath?

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Republicans need to keep hitting the paid protester angle. Make "fake protester" as common as fake news is.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

This is where the DEMs have taken things - attempted power grab by threatening screaming mobs

The stupid, the spolied, and the thugs.

Not that big a crowd really. Wait until Ruth Buzzy is replaced...

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Politico today has “color commentary” on Collins’ speech:

quote:
SEN. SUSAN COLLINS’ (R-MAINE) defense of KAVANAUGH was, perhaps, better than anything money can buy for Republicans. A woman defending the Supreme Court nominee, standing in front of three women aired live on cable television for almost an hour.

FROM INSIDE THE CHAMBER … COLLINS walked onto the floor at around 2:55 p.m., and sat down at her desk, which is in the middle of the chamber on the aisle. Behind her were Sens. SHELLEY MOORE CAPITO (R-W.Va.), JONI ERNST (R-Iowa) and CINDY HYDE-SMITH (R-Miss.) -- all sitting in other senators’ seats, presumably as a sign of support for Collins. Collins shuffled through paper, made notes and drank from water before she started.

-- SENATE MAJORITY LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL walked in at 3:04 p.m. and immediately turned his chair around so it was facing Collins -- not the front of the chamber, where he is usually oriented toward. SENATE MAJORITY WHIP JOHN CORNYN did the same. It was like they were sitting in a living room, watching television, or in a theater watching a play.

-- COLLINS was briefly interrupted at the beginning of her speech by a group of protestors yelling “show up for Maine women, vote no.” They were promptly removed.

-- PEOPLE ON THE FLOOR included Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), the chairman of the NRSC; Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) sitting with each other, frequently chatting; Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.); Democrats included: Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.).

-- COTTON AND GRAHAM looked at each other and vigorously nodded when Collins said this: “Christine Ford never sought the spotlight. She indicated that she was terrified to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee, and she has shunned attention since then. She seemed completely unaware of Chairman Grassley’s offer to allow her to testify confidentially in California. Watching her, Mr. President, I could not help but feel that some people who wanted to engineer the defeat of this nomination cared little, if at all, for her well-being.”

-- COLLINS FINISHED around 3:50 p.m., and McConnell went to shake her hand -- she said “Thank you Mitch.” She got a big hug from SENATE

Link

Posts: 18180 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
for what it is worth,

CSPAN says Final Vote at 3:30 pm ET

Justice Elena Kagan's words are ridiculous

"In the last, really 30 years, starting with Justice O'Connor and continuing with Justice Kennedy, there has been a person who found the center or people couldn't predict in that sort of way. That enabled the court to look as though it was not owned by one side or another and was indeed impartial and neutral and fair," Kagan said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why wouldn't it be the job of every justice to show that the court was impartial, neutral, and fair ?

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is where the DEMs have taken things - attempted power grab by threatening screaming mobs...

Looks like a couple hundred Progs at most. So, let's say there are a couple thousand in Foggy Bottom now -- so what???

According to the US Census Bureau, the population of the US was 325.7 million as of 2017, so that's 0.00061% of the population.

Let them roar all they want

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9225 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Remember the horrible protests that took place when Kagan and Sotomayor were confirmed for SCOTUS?

Right

Elena Kagan: ‘It’s Not So Clear Whether We’ll Have’ Swing-Vote On SCOTUS

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything in the Constitution about a SCOTUS "swing vote". Maybe you can borrow Ruthie's copy and point out this detail, huh?

Kagan and Sotomayor, two absolutely unqualified fascists that should never have been let anywhere near the SCOTUS. Did mainstream and conservative America put up a fight? No. Should they have done so? Yes.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Remember the horrible protests that took place when Kagan and Sotomayor were confirmed for SCOTUS?

Right

Elena Kagan: ‘It’s Not So Clear Whether We’ll Have’ Swing-Vote On SCOTUS

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything in the Constitution about a SCOTUS "swing vote". Maybe you can borrow Ruthie's copy and point out this detail, huh?

Her interview was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen from a SC justice. Basically an admission that she is a completely entrenched partisan.

What is preventing her from being a swing vote? Why is she locked into the left? She can venture into the middle any time she pleases. She instead wants a Republican president to appoint someone who will agree with her more often rather than someone who shares a conservative judicial philosophy.

Yep, just a leftist partisan hack.

Q

Posts: 26780 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
for what it is worth,

"In the last, really 30 years, starting with Justice O'Connor and continuing with Justice Kennedy, there has been a person who found the center or people couldn't predict in that sort of way. That enabled the court to look as though it was not owned by one side or another and was indeed impartial and neutral and fair," Kagan said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why wouldn't it be the job of every justice to show that the court was impartial, neutral, and fair ?
Kagan is by far the most unqualified, woefully inadequate, individual ever to be confirmed to the high court. She's a national disgrace. Everything she utters should be completely ignored.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
for what it is worth,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kagan is by far the most unqualified, woefully inadequate, individual ever to be confirmed to the high court. She's a national disgrace. Everything she utters should be completely ignored.

Admitting what what a partisan hack they both are.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Kagan

During her deanship, Kagan upheld a decades-old policy barring military recruiters from the Office of Career Services because she felt that the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy discriminated against gays and lesbians. According to Campus Progress,

As dean, Kagan supported a lawsuit intended to overturn the Solomon Amendment so military recruiters might be banned from the grounds of schools like Harvard. When a federal appeals court ruled The Pentagon could not withhold funds, she banned the military from Harvard's campus once again. The case was challenged in the Supreme Court, which ruled the military could indeed require schools to allow recruiters if they wanted to receive federal money. Kagan, though she allowed the military back, simultaneously urged students to demonstrate against Don't Ask, Don't Tell.[48][49]

In October 2003, Kagan sent an e-mail to students and faculty deploring that military recruiters had shown up on campus in violation of the school's anti-discrimination policy. It read, "This action causes me deep distress. I abhor the military's discriminatory recruitment policy." She also wrote that it was "a profound wrong—a moral injustice of the first order."[50]

Posts: 12826 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I think Sotomayor gives her a run for her money. I may be wrong, but I see them as neck-and-neck.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Gabby “10 minutes to Wapner” Giffords and her idiot rocket surgeon husband Mark just sent out an email to their beloveds acknowledging that Kavanaugh was going to be confirmed.

After they got finished sobbing about the death blow that was going to be handed to the gun control crowd, they begged for $3 to support their effort in tampering with elections.

Sad clowns

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just more examples of why we need 4 more years of Trump, get another 1-2 seats on SCOTUS, and cement the court for the next 30-50 years.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
idiot rocket surgeon husband Mark
Such a sad fall from a noble profession as an Astronaut to a gun control hack.

posted Hide Post
Sontamayor has Kagan beat in partisanship by a wide margin.......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1534 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The exciting thing is that Kavanaugh is so pro 2nd Amendment.

This is amazing.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31433 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sen Tom Cotton of OK on Susan Rice challenging Sen Collins from Maine.

"Let me again remind everyone. In 2008, worst election for the GOP in generation, @SenatorCollins beat credible 12-year Democratic congressman 61-39.

So go ahead, take a shot at the title. We’ll see how it works out for you.