SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
After seeing that pic of DiFi and Murkowski my first thought was "what a weak bitch". Whoever primaries her next time she is up needs to plaster that pic all over Alaska and say "Who do you want voting for you in congress: someone who represents the people of Alaska or someone who represents the people of California?"
Wouldn't matter. Even when she loses primaries she just picks a new party and runs in the general anyway.

Posts: 20212 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well it ain't a done deal yet, but Ol Mitch has pushed the ball forward another yard, yet again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
What time tomorrow is the final vote going to be? Is that now firm, win or lose? I want to make sure I'm around and watching but I have things to do, too.

Time has not been set yet and probably won't be until after Mitch has time to count votes. He won't set a time until he's sure he has the votes he needs.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

This.

I was married to a woman who had Borderline Personality Didorder (BPD)

I dated one for several years and it was an unending whirlpool of emotional trauma that one is nearly unable to get out of.

While watching Ford's testimony, it was my first thought as well. The weakness, childishness, crying on cue, painting Kavanaugh black, etc.... All of the markers.

I mentioned it some pages back. Diagnosable bat-shit crazy.

Posts: 20212 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Steve Daines seems like a good guy.... I wouldn't want to miss my daughter's wedding either. He will have a plane standing by and he may miss the reception.

NBC News tells the protestors where to go:

Senator vows Kavanaugh vote won't keep him from Daughter's Montana wedding

“He has made arrangements. If he is needed, he will back following the wedding," Sen Steve Daines' spokeswoman, Katie Schoettler, said.

Sen. Steve Daines promised he'll vote in favor for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh — but won't miss his daughter's Montana wedding on Saturday, even if it means ditching the reception to fly back to Washington D.C., the lawmaker’s office said.

For months, Saturday has been circled on Sen. Daines’ calendar to walk Annie Daines down the aisle long before the contentious Senate brawl over Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

Daines, R-Montana, has said he’s a firm yes vote for the nominee.

“The senator spoke to Judge Kavanaugh last evening. He assured him that he will be back in D.C. to vote yes if needed,” Daines' spokeswoman, Katie Schoettler, said Friday. “He has made arrangements. If he is needed, he will back following the wedding.”

Daines was in Washington D.C. on Friday for the Senate's procedural vote to move Kavanaugh's nomination forward.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he wants to hold a final vote on Kavanaugh’s confirmation on Saturday, and wrap up the highly divisive battle.

Christine Blasey Ford, testified to the Senate Judiciary Committee last week that an allegedly drunken Kavanaugh tried to sexually assault her while they were teenagers in the Washington D.C. area in 1982.

Playing out in the backdrop of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and abuse of women, Kavanaugh's confirmation is being compared to the 1992 Supreme Court nomination fight over Clarence Thomas, who was accused of sexual misconduct by Anita Hill.

Kavanaugh has strongly denied Ford's allegations.

Republicans hold a 51-49 edge in the Senate, so McConnell could roll the dice and hold a vote without Daines on Saturday if he’s sure of 50 in the bag,

Schoettler declined to reveal exactly when and where the wedding is on Saturday, only calling it an “early afternoon” affair.

An announcement on bridal site The Knot lists Annie Daines’ wedding to Brad Moss to take place Saturday at Manhattan Christian Reform Church in Manhattan, Montana, with a reception immediately to follow at Headwater Hops Ranch in nearby Three Forks.

That’s 1800 miles away from Washington D.C.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...m-daughter-s-n917066

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Flake, Collins, Manchin Yes
Murkowski No
adding this is for cloture, not the final vote

Wait and see if she comments today on her reason for voting against cloture. She may be trying to have it both ways.

Simple. She caved (posted earlier)

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
Can everyone please stop pretending like Dr. Ford is credible now? She is NOT credible. It’s painfully obvious. I feel like I’ve been living in the Twilight Zone.

Those who have said she was credible really mean that they think she was sympathetic, and then mix up the two words, "credible" and "sympathetic". Tell you why they found her sympathetic in a moment. But "credible" depends on the facts of the case. Does the narrative hold together plausibly? Is it backed up, corroborated, by others? Were there eyewitnesses? That kind of thing. I'm not a lawyer, but I know the meaning of "credible."

If you peruse a number of online dictionaries, the word 'believable' is used in the definition of 'credible' in some of them. Thus, the word credible takes on a wide variance of meaning, depending upon how the user intends it.

The left are using the term to try enhance the validity of Dr. Ford's testimony, by stating she was credible instead of just stating they felt she was believable.

You and I equate the word 'credible' to mean nearly the same thing as 'corroborable', which Dr. Ford's testimony certainly was not. Frankly I could care less if someone felt she was credible or believable. Nothing she said was corroborable.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the point: Ford is a phony. A liar. The Dems & this liar set women back.

Joe Manchin: Swamp Creature. Damn near all of us in WV knew he had to vote yes to have any chance of re-election. We are 100% Trumpers. F Joe!

Posts: 5772 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I just sent a respectful but terse letter to Murkowski's senate office mailbox, stating that we expect her to vote as a Republican and to support Judge BK! He deserves it, Ford's appearance was not convincing, we were not fooled.

HK Ag

Posts: 3523 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I saw "Dr." Christine Blasey Ford evade simple answers, plead ignorance to the word "exculpatory," yet engage in pseudo-scientific explanations regarding the hippocampus, neurotransmitters, norepinephrine and the like, that's when it registered with me that this woman may be a few bricks shy of a load.

According to the US National Institute of Health (NIH) anywhere from 1.6% to 2.7% of the US population is affected by BPD. That means over THREE MILLION!

No wonder Ford's therapy notes have not been revealed. Eh?

I disagree. IMO, she knew what she was doing, very calculated. Her entire performance at the hearing was fabricated, rehearsed, coached by consultants and lawyers during the weeks given to her because of her "fear of flying".

Plus do you honestly believe Feinstein and her lawyers would put a crazy person in front of not only a Senate committee, but thousands of media outlets and millions of people watching on TV?

As far as her "therapy" notes, more likely there was nothing there on Kavanaugh, it was all a big lie.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

This.

I was married to a woman who had Borderline Personality Didorder (BPD)

I dated one for several years and it was an unending whirlpool of emotional trauma that one is nearly unable to get out of.

While watching Ford's testimony, it was my first thought as well. The weakness, childishness, crying on cue, painting Kavanaugh black, etc.... All of the markers.

I mentioned it some pages back. Diagnosable bat-shit crazy.

Is there a political version of the Wife-Girlfriend Matrix?

Posts: 4524 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
quote:
Can everyone please stop pretending like Dr. Ford is credible now? She is NOT credible. It’s painfully obvious. I feel like I’ve been living in the Twilight Zone.

Those who have said she was credible really mean that they think she was sympathetic, and then mix up the two words, "credible" and "sympathetic". Tell you why they found her sympathetic in a moment. But "credible" depends on the facts of the case. Does the narrative hold together plausibly? Is it backed up, corroborated, by others? Were there eyewitnesses? That kind of thing. I'm not a lawyer, but I know the meaning of "credible."

If you peruse a number of online dictionaries, the word 'believable' is used in the definition of 'credible' in some of them. Thus, the word credible takes on a wide variance of meaning, depending upon how the user intends it.

The left are using the term to try enhance the validity of Dr. Ford's testimony, by stating she was credible instead of just stating they felt she was believable.

You and I equate the word 'credible' to mean nearly the same thing as 'corroborable', which Dr. Ford's testimony certainly was not. Frankly I could care less if someone felt she was credible or believable. Nothing she said was corroborable.

I actually do feel the words "credible" and "believable" are the same for me. I don't think there needs to be evidence or corroboration for a tale to be "credible."

Lots of life events happen with just 2 people there and no other witnesses. If a story is both internally consistent and externally consistent (matches what we know of the people involved and the surrounding circumstances, locations, etc.), then it can be credible.

However, a tale without any evidence or corroboration would not be "actionable."

Ford's tale is less than even a "he said, she said" as Mitchell confirmed, because not only was it internally and externally inconsistent and shifting...she did claim "evidence" and provide "witnesses" who actually refuted her tale. Especially Leyland who would have a motive, if anything being a former friend, female and D, to help her out.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I had a summer home in Maine for more than a decade, so I give Collins a bit of leeway as a senator from that... strange... state. My home was up as far north as Bangor, but on the coast. If you drive up that much of Maine, you are convinced you are in the most patriotic state in the Union. Flags and bunting are everywhere, and not just on the 4th of July, but all the time. I think Maine has the highest proportion of military enlistments in the country. The 20th Maine is one of the legendary regiments of the Civil War.

But driving up you also see little artists' shops everywhere. And small bookstores. Little "artists' colonies." Painters, sculptors, potters (especially!), musicians, writers, poets are everywhere.

So, despite the patriotism, there is a very widespread population of social liberals. Eccentrics. Yes, even kooks. Collins had to signal to them that she was taking Ford very seriously, giving her every benefit of the doubt, sympathizing with women who are sexually assaulted.

But I think that when the chips are down she will vote "yes" on Kavanaugh and always intended to do so.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11126 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Kavanaugh Conservatives vs. Booker Democrats

Weekly Standard
Christopher Caldwell

Years from now, perhaps only days from now, when people are no longer quite so inebriated with partisanship, those who wish Brett Kavanaugh well and those who wish him ill will probably agree on one thing: His defiant September 27 statement denying the charges leveled against him in the course of his Supreme Court confirmation is the defining speech of our time. Kavanaugh rejected outright Christine Blasey Ford’s allegation that he had jumped her and gagged her at a party 36 years ago, when both were in high school. He denied knowingly having met her. None of the witnesses she named remembered any such party.

But it was a Kafkaesque situation for Kavanaugh: Since Ford could not (or would not) say when and where the incident took place, it was literally impossible for him to exonerate himself conclusively. “Doubts” had been “raised.” Raised by people with a desperate political interest in raising them, it is true. But those who sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee are no more immune than ordinary human beings to the lazy-minded heuristic that when accounts clash, the truth must lie “somewhere in the middle.” When Ford finished testifying on Thursday morning, Kavanaugh’s nomination appeared to be finished.

The moment Kavanaugh began to speak, he broke that logic. The senators were not adjudicating a difference of recollections. They were not adjudicating at all. They were engaged in a “grotesque and coordinated character assassination . . . a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons, and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.” Now the middle ground was gone, and a new understanding was in place: Whether Ford was lying or misremembering, what was happening was not a hearing but a show trial.

In that context, splitting the difference could no longer be passed off as moderation. It was cowardice. Any Republican who voted against Kavanaugh (and, of course, any Democrat who voted for him) would thereby exit his party. Just as the congressional vote in 1846 on the so-called Wilmot Proviso revealed that the fault-line in American politics was about slavery, not party, the Kavanaugh nomination shows what American politics is, at heart, about. It is about “rights” and the entire system that arose in our lifetimes to confer them not through legislation but through court decisions: Roe v. Wade in 1973 (abortion), Regents v. Bakke in 1979 (affirmative action), Plyler v. Doe in 1982 (immigrant rights), and Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 (gay marriage). The Democrats are the party of rights. As such, they are the party of the Supreme Court. You can see why Ted Kennedy claimed in a 1987 diatribe that the Yale law professor Robert Bork would turn the United States into a police state. For Democrats, an unfriendly Supreme Court is a threat to everything.

That means the country itself. The general Democratic view that has hardened since the 1960s is the one expressed on many occasions by Barack Obama. The United States is not a country bound by a common history or a common ethnicity—it is a set of values. That is an open, welcoming thing to build a country around. But it has a dark side, and we have seen the dark side during the hearings. If a country is only a set of values, then the person who does not share what elites “know” to be the country’s values is not really a member of the national community and is not deserving of its basic protections, nice guy though he might otherwise be. Such people “belong” to the country in the way some think illegal immigrants do—provisionally.

On both sides of this dispute, attitudes towards evidence were deducible from political allegiances. Those who opposed Kavanaugh—or who were looking for a reason to oppose—stressed the “believability” of Ford’s story. Of course they did. The hearings were designed to enhance that believability. This was partly due to politics: Senators were frightened, in an election year, of being seen to beat up on a woman presenting herself as the victim of sexual assault. But it was partly due to the Senate’s ground rules: This was a venue in which a man could be accused of sex crimes without any right to confront or cross-examine his accuser. Ford’s supporters were content that it should be this way. It was only a “job interview,” they said.

Deprived of these structural advantages, the case against Kavanaugh was weak. Without the information that would be turned up regarding both Kavanaugh and Ford in an ordinary court discovery, one can pass judgment only with humility and caution. But patterns emerged. Ford answered questions obliquely. She resorted to abstraction (“Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter”). She claimed not to remember incidents of recent weeks. Much of her corroborating evidence was either generated by herself (she said she had mentioned the incident in a 2012 therapy session) or easily accessible in the public domain. “A fabulist likely would not know,” writes Kavanaugh foe Benjamin Wittes, “of Kavanaugh’s friendship with Mark Judge and their propensity to drink beer together.” Perhaps not, but a hard-working paralegal for one of the law firms working pro bono to do opposition research on Kavanaugh would have no trouble finding Judge’s books, in which that friendship is described.

The grounds for rejecting Kavanaugh have shifted steadily. First it was the incident alleged by Ford. Then, second, as the evidence proved underwhelming, it was whether the taint of having been accused of such an incident compromised the perception that he would be a fair judge. Then, third, it was the question of whether Kavanaugh’s minimizing the seriousness of his drinking had constituted perjury. Fourth and finally, it was whether his outburst at the committee showed a partisanship that was evidence he lacked the “judicial temperament” to serve on the Court. Whether Kavanaugh’s attacks on the Democratic members of the Senate panel constituted partisanship is a trickier factual determination than it appears at first. Is an accusation of partisanship partisanship? Such accusations are often leveled by people who distrust both political parties.

Kavanaugh’s foes were comfortable voting against him on the basis of temperament. The question is not “whether he’s innocent or guilty,” said Cory Booker. “I am emphatically not saying that Kavanaugh did what Ford says he did,” says Wittes. “The evidence is not within 100 yards of adequate to convict him. But whether he did it is not the question at hand.”

What is that supposed to mean? This amounted to saying that Brett Kavanaugh lacks a “judicial temperament” because he objected to being summarily executed following a show trial. If you permit the criteria of culpability to shift, then you have the circular logic typical of totalitarian regimes. Just as there are people famous-for-being-famous, now there are people guilty-of-being-accused.

Suddenly there are two parties in this country: There are Kavanaugh conservatives and Booker Democrats. Maybe this will change. For now, those who claim to be weighing the balance between the two are obtuse, nostalgic, or trying to persuade their old comrades not to shoot them in the back as they make their way towards enemy lines. Americans of all political persuasions have woken up this week—some with exhilaration, some with despair—to the realization that, as the essayist Midge Decter once wrote, they are going to have to join the side they are on.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:

An announcement on bridal site The Knot lists Annie Daines’ wedding to Brad Moss to take place Saturday at...

Since freedom of the press allows them to be jackasses with little fear of liability, the editor at NBC News should be horsewhipped for this deliberate attempt at sabotage. This was a private family event, not a campaign event for the senator. The family will need to hire security now to keep the protesters away, since they'll be attempting to harass Senator Daines and then trying to stop him from getting to the airport so he can return to Washington for the vote.

As the father of a daughter getting married in a few weeks, I'm livid for Ms. Daines, the senator, and their whole family.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2126 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
quote:

Well, if we really want to define the word credible, let's get a dictionary that carries some of it's own credibility, especially when applied to sworn testimony, under penalty of perjury.

Black's Law Dictionary defines "credibility" as: "The quality that makes something (as witness or some evidence) worthy of belief. - credible, adj."
(emphasis added)

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I just sent a respectful but terse letter to Murkowski's senate office mailbox, stating that we expect her to vote as a Republican and to support Judge BK! He deserves it, Ford's appearance was not convincing, we were not fooled.

HK Ag
I don't expect her vote as a Republican, I expect her, and every other elected "representative," to vote in the best interests of people she was elected to represent.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
too bad she weasn't holding a knife and driving it into her heart

fuck DiFi - what a waste of oxygen

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53383 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
too bad she weasn't holding a knife and driving it into her heart

A wooden stake seems more appropriate.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
quote:

An announcement on bridal site The Knot lists Annie Daines’ wedding to Brad Moss to take place Saturday at...

Since freedom of the press allows them to be jackasses with little fear of liability, the editor at NBC News should be horsewhipped for this deliberate attempt at sabotage. This was a private family event, not a campaign event for the senator. The family will need to hire security now to keep the protesters away, since they'll be attempting to harass Senator Daines and then trying to stop him from getting to the airport so he can return to Washington for the vote.

As the father of a daughter getting married in a few weeks, I'm livid for Ms. Daines, the senator, and their whole family.
This information about the "private family event," was available to anyone who is familiar with weddings, and knows how to use a search engine. The family posted the information publicly on the website The Knot. Which is quite common, and was available to anyone who cared to know long before the press said anything about it.