SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Lets move this along Mr. McConnell.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they are allowed to get away with intentionally attempting to destroy an innocent man, all for their own power, it will happen again and again.

The left has no problem sending those on our side to prison for things they haven't even done, yet when we catch them red handed we let them slide.

It has to stop.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15856 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Murkowski voted No

But I think Manchin voted Aye

waiting to be sure

YES !

Fox verified:

Flake, Collins, Manchin Yes
Murkowski No

adding this is for cloture, not the final vote

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
DiFi is harping on about his stand on the 2nd Amendment.
Which is what some think this was about all along.
Yes, but the key with Kavanaugh and firearms, like Scalia and Kennedy with flag burning, is Kavanaugh's opinion on firearms is driven by the original meaning of the Constitution, and precedent regarding other Supreme Court decisions on firearms. He does not base it on his personal feelings about whether people should have right to certain firearms, or any firearms, but rather that the as it is written, the Constitution guarantees that right.

See Kavanaugh's dissent in what is widely known as "Heller II" (US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, Heller et al, v. DC, 2011):
https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/.../10-7036-1333156.pdf

"This is a case where emotions run high on both sides of the policy issue because of the vital public safety interests at stake. As one who was born here, grew up in this community in the late 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, and has lived and worked in this area almost all of his life, I am acutely aware of the gun, drug, and gang violence that has plagued all of us. As a citizen, I certainly share the goal of Police Chief Cathy Lanier to reduce and hopefully eliminate the senseless violence that has persisted for too long and harmed so many. And I greatly respect the motivation behind the D.C. gun laws at issue in this case. So my view on how to analyze the constitutional question here under the relevant Supreme Court precedents is not to say that I think certain gun registration laws or laws regulating semi-automatic guns are necessarily a bad idea as a matter of policy. If our job were to decree what we think is the best policy, I would carefully consider the issues through that different lens and might well look favorably upon certain regulations of this kind. But our task is to apply the Constitution and the precedents of the Supreme Court, regardless of whether the result is one we agree with as a matter of first principles or policy. See Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397, 420-21 (1989) (Kennedy, J., concurring) (“The hard fact is that sometimes we must make decisions we do not like. We make them because they are right, right in the sense that the law and the Constitution, as we see them, compel the result.”). A lower-court judge has a special obligation, moreover, to strictly and faithfully follow the lead of the “one supreme Court” established by our Constitution, regardless of whether the judge agrees or disagrees with the precedent."
(emphasis added)

That is the important thing, applying the Constitution and the law, as written, even if it results in a decision the Judge does "not like." The law shouldn't be a guessing game, where the people have to wonder which way a judge will decide based on personal bias, and desires for a particular outcome. While there will be controversies under the law, the "grey areas," where judges need to call the "balls and strikes," should be rare, and even more so at the level of the US Supreme Court.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Flake & Manchin voted Aye to close debate.

Freakin Murkowski!

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Murkowski voted No

But I think Manchin voted Aye

waiting to be sure
But this is for cloture vote, right?

So that doesn't mean they will vote to confirm.

Posts: 10195 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Flake and Manchin voted "Yes"

Meaningless for now... But tomorrow will be the true test.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
He was just voted in the Senate to advance his nomination!

Posts: 3822 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Manchin is the last of the old Democrat Party:

The big story for me is how this confirmation process has become the death rattle of the old Democrat Party (not that it was responsible for anything to be proud of for the past 200 odd years anyway) and the veneer of civility and respect for the rule of law, and its complete transformation and subsuming into and by a full-on bust-out Marxist tyranny that is now openly fomenting political violence and the destruction of whatever vestiges of the Constitution and American principles of jurisprudence as well as comity that remain extant.

The long march through the institutions, primarily through academia, has given us at least three generations of American citizens at best ignorant of our heritage, culture, laws, traditions and Judeo-Christian morality and ethics and as we are witnessing openly contemptuous of it and growing violent in the extreme to any and all who defend it.

David Horowitz, who truly is a tireless defender of liberty and freedom (ironic since he was once a red-diaper baby and fellow traveler of Bill Ayers and the Weathermen) states it plainly:

Every American should be concerned that an ideology so antithetic to everything this country has stood for should now be the conventional wisdom of half the country (including all the persecutors of Judge Kavanaugh). The U.S. Constitution does not contain the words "white," "black," "male" or "female," precisely because the Founders believed they were creating a society in which true equality would one day prevail. It took nearly two hundred years to bring about the social changes that would realize that dream.For the last fifty years, however, the left and the Democratic Party have been working hard to turn back the clock and reverse these gains - - to introduce racial and gender categories and quotas into virtually every aspect of social life, to portray white Americans as guilty before the fact, and non-white Americans as innocent even when the facts show they are not.

The progressive goal is totalitarian in nature: to erase individuals, their achievements and failures and every aspect of the circumstances in which they find themselves, in order to judge them on the basis of their skin color, their gender and their sexual orientation.

http://ace.mu.nu/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“Unofficial talley” from Stuart Varney-51 Y

Well, now it’s official

Posts: 13582 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Collins to make a final decision and announce at 3 pm today

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flake, Collins, Manchin Yes
Murkowski No
adding this is for cloture, not the final vote

Wait and see if she comments today on her reason for voting against cloture. She may be trying to have it both ways.
It doesn't necessarily mean she's a NO on the final vote.

quote:
Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont
Already tweeted that he'll be where he needs to be to get Brett across the finish line.

They may need him....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I will be glad to hear the good news that he is confirmed tomorrow. This is securing the future of my children for decades to come. Let old Ruth pass and fill her with another conservative justice. This is why the Dims are fighting so hard.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7157 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These people have no integrity whatsoever. Manchin makes a deal with Murkowski so that each can vote in a way to preserve their political aspirations, not on how they really feel about the nomination.

Total scumbags, all of them.

Posts: 1162 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanPatWork:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Can everyone please stop pretending like Dr. Ford is credible now? She is NOT credible. It’s painfully obvious. I feel like I’ve been living in the Twilight Zone.

I made this very comment to one of my Senators. She was certainly a compelling witness, but not credible. To many of the political congresscritters and pundits confuse the two.

They're just afraid to tell the truth lest they be accused of attacking a woman "victim".

Posts: 20581 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Collins to make a final decision and announce at 3 pm today
Pinhead

2:59 - no clue

3:01 - total clarity

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
After seeing that pic of DiFi and Murkowski my first thought was "what a weak bitch". Whoever primaries her next time she is up needs to plaster that pic all over Alaska and say "Who do you want voting for you in congress: someone who represents the people of Alaska or someone who represents the people of California?"

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What time tomorrow is the final vote going to be? Is that now firm, win or lose? I want to make sure I'm around and watching but I have things to do, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can everyone please stop pretending like Dr. Ford is credible now? She is NOT credible. It’s painfully obvious. I feel like I’ve been living in the Twilight Zone.

Those who have said she was credible really mean that they think she was sympathetic, and then mix up the two words, "credible" and "sympathetic". Tell you why they found her sympathetic in a moment. But "credible" depends on the facts of the case. Does the narrative hold together plausibly? Is it backed up, corroborated, by others? Were there eyewitnesses? That kind of thing. I'm not a lawyer, but I know the meaning of "credible."

Those who thought her sympathetic fell for the charade of "the little girl." She seemed to be a 50 something professional woman, wife and mother, but she presented herself as a frightened 7 year old. Awwwww. Poor little girl! That voice (which I need to mute whenever she is on) was the voice of a scared 7 year old.

And her enormous eyeglasses also imitated the way glasses look on a child. The eyeballs of little children are as big as they will ever get, they do not "grow." So their glasses look big, oversized, on their small heads.

In the year of #metoo nobody can ask an allegedly victimized woman a hard question. But turn her into a 7 year old, and there is no way in hell anyone can ask a hard question.

What undid Ford, and the reason Kavanaugh will be confirmed, is that enough people know the meaning of "credible," and logically, rationally, her story was light years away from credible.

She is a complete phony, and-- also from personal experience-- I agree with fpuhan that she is very likely BPD.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11215 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
After seeing that pic of DiFi and Murkowski my first thought was "what a weak bitch". Whoever primaries her next time she is up needs to plaster that pic all over Alaska and say "Who do you want voting for you in congress: someone who represents the people of Alaska or someone who represents the people of California?"
This.

Unfortunately she has until 2022, as she was elected in 2016. Frown

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post