SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Take That, Democrats: Majority Of Voters Agree With Kavanaugh...This Nomination Fight Is A National Disgrace

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...omination-f-n2525246

The Left has accused Judge Brett Kavanaugh of being a drunken, conservative, Irish Catholic rapist. It’s been a brutal character assassination plot executed by the Left, one that should leave anyone who believes in the rule of law and due process furious over what has transpired, least of all Kavanaugh’s family. The three allegations of sexual misconduct are without evidence or corroborating witnesses. Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, and Julie Swetnick are the women who have come forward, though Swetnick’s accusation is beyond ridiculous: Kavanaugh was part of a gang rape ring in high school.

There’s no proof to any of these accusations. Ford can’t remember key details, Ramirez isn’t sure that Kavanaugh was even at the party where he allegedly exposed himself, Swetnick’s story has been torn apart by everyone. Even she backpedaled on some of the details during her interview with NBC.

Kavanaugh was visibly emotional and angry last week when he testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee. He gave an aggressive and robust defense of his character and reputation, which has been destroyed by these left-wing smears. He said the nomination process had become a national disgrace, that advise and consent had been replaced with search and destroy. While Democrats were taken aback that a man who was accused of terrible things without evidence would get mad, normal voters agree with Kavanaugh that, indeed, this fight has become a disgrace (via Rasmussen):

An angry Judge Brett Kavanaugh told the Senate Judiciary Committee late last week: “This confirmation process has become a national disgrace. The Constitution gives the Senate an important role in the confirmation process, but you have replaced advise and consent with search and destroy.” Most voters think he’s right. Even Democrats are conflicted.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 56% of Likely U.S. Voters agree with the U.S. Supreme Court nominee’s statement. Thirty percent (30%) disagree, while 14% are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Seventy-seven percent (77%) of Republicans and 51% of voters not affiliated with either major party agree that Kavanaugh’s confirmation process has become “a national disgrace.” Even among Democrats whose senators have been leading the charge against the nominee, 40% agree, and only slightly more (43%) disagree, but 17% are undecided.

Polls are showing that this nomination fight has animated Republicans like no other. The Democrats’ quest to block this nominee and hope they can drive turnout on their side is having a double-edged sword effect.

Posts: 13100 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

"How dare you talk to women that way?"

Well sweetie, act like a child and you'll be treated like a child.

Kind of funny how that works, and your parents should have taught you that many years ago. Apparently they failed.

I don't know about you people, but I'm am so sick to death of the Women At War card these idiots keep pulling out, even more so than the race card. It is fuckin' annoying, just incredibly annoying.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17175 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Times are a chaingin’ aint they... It almost seems that Trumps caricature of Ford the other night actually helped the cause, despite the MSM’s immediate pounce on it. Pick up a few more seats in November, then wait for Ruth Buzzy to move along. Then find another Constitutionalist to appoint.
Rather than hope RBG retires, or dies, I would rather see Justice Thomas retire, while the Republicans hold a majority in the Senate, to guarantee another Justice that believes in the original meaning of the Constitution can be appointed. That would put three Justices (Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and a player to be named later) who believe in the original meaning doctrine would be around for decades. I am a big fan of Thomas, but he's just entered his 70s, and getting someone in their late 40s or early 50s now would be a good move.

Hey, hey, hey... just entering his 70’s, he’s just a kid.

He’s good for another ten years, maybe more. He’s fit, tanned and experienced. Let him be!
I'll trade a possible ten years, for a probable 25 to 30 years.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.):

“Every state has different views, a different electorate,”

“The folks in those states are gonna do what’s best for the people, as they think, in that state.”

Doug Jones to vote No on Kavanaugh

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2016 election Alabama:

Trump 62%
Clinton 34%

????

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

“The folks in those states are gonna do what’s best for the people, as they think, in that state.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2016 election Alabama:

Trump 62%
Clinton 34%

????

Jones will be crushed in 2020 by any Repub not named Roy Moore. He will lose by at least 20 points.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2016 election Alabama:

Trump 62%
Clinton 34%

????

Jones will be crushed in 2020 by any Repub not named Roy Moore. He will lose by at least 20 points.

Jones isn't as smart as Manchin. He will not survive.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

He was always a no. But we might need Steve Daines in Montana.
McConnell is smart enough to delay the vote to Sunday if he needs him.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
What the Dems miss is that the rule of law and an independent judiciary stabalizes a society.

When they debase a judge before sending him or her to the bench,they tear at something- something that holds ordered liberty together.

What's more is that the process miseducates a whole class of dunderheaded citizens into believing that there is NOT an independent judiciary or that such a goal is impossible.

In a short time, people could get to thinking that you could never get a fair shake before a judge based on the law

The whole despicable character assasination as a right of passage thing for only constitutionalist candidates does not portend good things for the future of the rule law and the perception of justice in society.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
This isn't good Eek

Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont., will not be available at any point on Saturday to vote to confirm Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. Instead, he'll be at his daughter’s wedding, Fox News has learned.

The absence of the senator – expected to support the embattled nominee’s confirmation – throws a wrench into the works as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., aims to push through Kavanaugh’s nomination to the high court.

The decision means McConnell would need to obtain all of his available 50 Republican senators to vote for the judge. It would also push Vice President Mike Pence out of the mix, as 99 senators would be voting and Pence can only settle things in the event of a tie. Under the new precedent established during Nuclear Option II on Supreme Court nominees, the Senate simply needs a "majority" of those "voting."

So McConnell would need the support of Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska and Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine -- or two of the three and Democratic West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin. All four senators have not yet announced how they plan to vote.

Daines’ office told Fox News that the timing of the FBI’s recent probe into sexual assault allegations against Kavanaugh was fluid, meaning it was not known that there would be a conflict.

The senator is also adamant: He's not missing the wedding. His status for a potential Sunday vote was not immediately clear.

His office stressed that he reviewed the FBI's supplemental background check and found no corroborating evidence to back up allegations against Kavanaugh. Daines will be in attendance Friday morning when the Senate takes a vote to end debate on Kavanaugh's nomination.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...to-daughters-wedding

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Too soon to worry. The cloture vote on Friday just starts the clock ticking for a minimum of 30 hours. There hasn't been a Senate in US history that could make a deadline, so I wouldn't expect that the 30 hour period acts as a maximum - there's no reason the vote couldn't happen at midnight Saturday, first thing Sunday, Monday morning, etc.

At the same time, with all the ups and downs we've seen it doesn't make sense to assume a catastrophe will happen until it actually does.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

He didn't really look like all that tough a candidate, did he?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
This isn't good Eek

C'mon, this isn't last minute news; do you really think Daines popped this appointment onto McConnell's lap today?

They knew about it, and are accounting his possible absence in the final tally.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17175 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What would Daines do if he were a soldier ordered to deploy? “Oh, my family comes before my duty to my country”?

One more demonstration of the difference between military veterans and the rest.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
What the Dems miss is that the rule of law and an independent judiciary stabalizes a society.
They're not missing anything. The Dem's/leftists prefer chaos to order which is exactly what we've seen from them throughout this entire confirmation process as well as Trumps presidency so far. A "stable" society is hard to separate into classes and colors to weaponize for your agenda.
quote:
What's more is that the process miseducates a whole class of dunderheaded citizens into believing that there is NOT an independent judiciary or that such a goal is impossible.

In a short time, people could get to thinking that you could never get a fair shake before a judge based on the law
Which is exactly what the Dem's have been pushing for the last ten plus years. After all, its the root cause as to why so many black people are incarcerated, right? The Dem's are despicable in their behavior, but again, they absolutely lust for chaos and this is a part of the equation for them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
This isn't good Eek

C'mon, this isn't last minute news; do you really think Daines popped this appointment onto McConnell's lap today?

Yeah, folks, please stop already with this snatching-defeat-from-the-jaw-of-victory mentality.

Q

Posts: 27558 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
This isn't good Eek

Hey, you can't take away someone's ability to FREAKOUTOVERNOTHING man! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
This isn't good Eek
Do tell us all about it, in great detail.

I wonder if you happen to have perused the last few pages of this thread.

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Here is the Legislative Schedule.
Plenty of holes in the schedule to plan a wedding if it was important for you.

Seems to me that if you want to be a Senator you should be willing to commit to working during weeks scheduled.

And for those that want to point out Saturday is a weekend please remember those of us who have served to defend America did not have an option to get home for every family event, even though they may have occurred on the weekend.

God, Family, and Country in that order yes.
However this is not an excuse for lack of planning.

Suck it up buttercup and serve the American citizens you were elected to serve by doing your job.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now the Democrats will be pushing for the Saturday vote. Big Grin

They will forget the delay tactic, I say that is good thing. Just hold em off until Saturday night after the wedding.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, now, wait a minute, this is the Senate.

The parties can agree to vote before the thirty hours runs out. If the Reps mistakenly tell the Dems it's happening earlier than it is, the two sides could agree to an earlier vote - and then the Dems could get sandbagged with a full 51-Senator Republican caucus.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

Hey, hey, hey... just entering his 70’s, he’s just a kid.

He’s good for another ten years, maybe more. He’s fit, tanned and experienced. Let him be!
I'll trade a possible ten years, for a probable 25 to 30 years.[/QUOTE]

Possible, probable, you just never know, do you?

Some 70 yo’s will die this year. Some will live to be 90. When the pool is a large number, some useful statistics can be derived, but they can’t tell us which ones will live and which ones will not.

Meanwhile, a bird in the hand, and all that.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post