SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Something tells me Mr. McConnell will do what needs to be done to get this through....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
“Elevator Girl” is the new face of the left. Confrontational, borderline violent, intolerant, and disrespectful. Keep it up. Keep showing the the hard working honest people who you all are. Reap your reward.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Hatch - "Why don't you grow up!"

"...How dare you.." Big Grin

"How dare you talk to women that way?"

The equality you seek is not always the equality you get....

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
act like a child and you'll be treated like a child.

Kind of funny how that works, and your parents should have taught you that many years ago. Apparently they failed.

As a non-parent, I'm fully non-qualified to say this, but: we've got a nation full of parents who've done a crappy job, and of their poorly-behaved offspring.

God bless America.

Posts: 13883 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The New York Times, whoa. It's an editorial, but I am shocked that they have printed it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...tml?partner=msft_msn

For Once, I’m Grateful for Trump
In the president, one big bully stands up to others.

Bret Stephens
By Bret Stephens
Opinion Columnist
Oct. 4, 2018

For the first time since Donald Trump entered the political fray, I find myself grateful that he’s in it. I’m reluctant to admit it and astonished to say it, especially since the president mocked Christine Blasey Ford in his ugly and gratuitous way at a rally on Tuesday. Perhaps it’s worth unpacking this admission for those who might be equally astonished to read it.

I’m grateful because Trump has not backed down in the face of the slipperiness, hypocrisy and dangerous standard-setting deployed by opponents of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. I’m grateful because ferocious and even crass obstinacy has its uses in life, and never more so than in the face of sly moral bullying. I’m grateful because he’s a big fat hammer fending off a razor-sharp dagger.

A few moments have crystallized my view over the past few days.

The first moment was a remark by a friend. “I’d rather be accused of murder,” he said, “than of sexual assault.” I feel the same way. One can think of excuses for killing a man; none for assaulting a woman. But if that’s true, so is this: Falsely accusing a person of sexual assault is nearly as despicable as sexual assault itself. It inflicts psychic, familial, reputational and professional harms that can last a lifetime. This is nothing to sneer at.

The second moment, connected to the first: “Boo hoo hoo. Brett Kavanaugh is not a victim.” That’s the title of a column in the Los Angeles Times, which suggests that the possibility of Kavanaugh’s innocence is “infinitesimal.” Yet false allegations of rape, while relatively rare, are at least five times as common as false accusations of other types of crime, according to academic literature.

Since when did the possibility of innocence become, for today’s liberals, something to wave off with an archly unfeeling “boo hoo”?

A third moment, connected to the second: Listening to Cory Booker explain on Tuesday that “ultimately” it doesn’t matter if Kavanaugh is “guilty or innocent,” because “enough questions” had been raised that it was time to “move on to another candidate.”

This is a rhetorical sleight of hand in three acts: Elide the one question that really matters; raise a secondary set of “questions” that are wholly the result of the question you’ve decided to ignore; call for “another candidate” because it will push confirmation hearings past the midterms, which was the Democratic objective long before most anyone had ever heard of Blasey’s allegation.

Fourth moment: Watching Julie Swetnick, the woman who accused Kavanaugh of attending parties decades earlier where women were gang raped, change key details of her story in an interview with NBC News.

Swetnick’s claims border on the preposterous. They are wholly uncorroborated. But that didn’t keep Kavanaugh’s opponents, in politics and the press, from seizing them as evidence of corroboration with Blasey’s allegation, which is not preposterous but is also largely uncorroborated, and with the allegation of Kavanaugh’s Yale classmate Deborah Ramirez — uncorroborated again.

Uncorroborated plus uncorroborated plus largely uncorroborated is not the accumulation of questions, much less of evidence. It is the duplication of hearsay.

Fifth moment: Reading about a 1985 bar fight at Yale — a story that involved Kavanaugh throwing ice, resulted in no charges against him, and should never have been reported. Or reading a 1983 handwritten letter by Kavanaugh, in which he says of his gang of friends that “we’re loud, obnoxious drunks with prolific pukers among us” — adolescent boasting now being treated as if it is a crucial piece of incriminating evidence. Or hearing from Yale classmates who claim to have seen Kavanaugh drunk, which somehow is supposed to show that he’s a demonstrable perjurer and possible sex offender.

Will a full-bore investigation of adolescent behavior now become a standard part of the “job interview” for all senior office holders? I’m for it — provided we can start with your adolescent behavior, as it relates to your next job.

Sixth moment: Listening to Richard Blumenthal lecture Kavanaugh on the legal concept of falsus in omnibus — false in one thing, false in everything — when the senator from Connecticut lied shamelessly for years about his military service. And then feeling grateful to Trump for having the simple nerve to point out the naked hypocrisy.

Seventh moment: Listening to Dianne Feinstein denounce Kavanaugh for failing to reflect an “impartial temperament or the fairness and even-handedness one would see in a judge.” This lecture would have gone down more easily if Feinstein hadn’t gamed the process for her own partisan purposes, and at huge personal cost to Kavanaugh and Blasey alike.

Eighth moment: Being quizzed in recent days about my teenage years at a New England boarding school — the subtext being that I must know something about elite prep schools and the mentality of the boys who attend them.

I do. It was at boarding school where I first formed lasting friendships with kids of different races and economic backgrounds, and where liberal-leaning teachers showed us how to think critically, keep an open mind, and value tolerance and respect. I have no idea if Georgetown Prep was anything like that, but the facile stereotype of “white privilege” that keeps cropping up in discussions of Kavanaugh’s background is yet another ugly tactic in the battle to defeat him.

We will learn soon enough what, if anything, the F.B.I. has gleaned from its investigation of Kavanaugh. If the Bureau finds persuasive evidence of Blasey’s charge, the judge will have to step down and answer for it. Until then, I’ll admit to feeling grateful that, in Trump, at least one big bully was willing to stand up to others.

Posts: 8902 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Posted a couple of pages back I think.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont

Already tweeted that he'll be where he needs to be to get Brett across the finish line.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
DiFi doesnt look to confident after reviewing the FBI docs today. I wonder why? I think i may see a tear.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEEVrc3V2XA

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Already tweeted that he'll be where he needs to be to get Brett across the finish line.

Yup, Laura Ingraham show confirmed the same, that Daines communicated that directly to Kavanaugh's team.

The sky isn't falling, Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

We should be discussing what Scotch, or other refined beverage, we'll be enjoying to celebrate this occasion.

Posts: 499 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yup, Fox is just now talking about this. Daines will do whatever is needed to get BK on the court.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5139 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
quote:
quote:

Yup, Laura Ingraham show confirmed the same, that Daines communicated that directly to Kavanaugh's team.

The sky isn't falling, Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

We should be discussing what Scotch, or other refined beverage, we'll be enjoying to celebrate this occasion.

Respectfully, might I suggest a beer...or six...in honor of Kavanaugh (since he’s a beer man), following a successful vote.

I seldom drink but will Saturday night!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
like RHINO wrote,

Chad Pergram (Fox):

GOP MT Sen Daines tells Kavanaugh “he has made arrangements to be there to get him across the finish line as needed .” Daines initially said he may miss the Sat confirmation vote. Daines’s vote is essential to get the math to work. Daines’s daughter is getting married in MT Sat

Due to wedding of Daines’s daughter..the key part of Daines’s statement about being there to vote for Kavanaugh is “as needed.” Daines can be absent (99 sens voting) & they can still confirm Kavanaugh 50-49 if they get Flake, Collins & Murkowski..or lose one of them & get Manchin

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
The New York Times, whoa. It's an editorial, but I am shocked that they have printed it:

Brett Stephens is a regular columnist for the NYT.
Hired probably because he's been a NeverTrumper.
So it's not surprising that the NYT published it, but that he admitted he is starting to appreciate the President's stick-to-it-iveness.

Posts: 18364 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is so simple. Just use the Democrats mantra. Vote for Kavanaugh, and we'll let you see what is in the report.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:

I have a bottle of Copper Fox Rye I'm looking forward to opening on that evening... and in Judge Kavanaugh's particular honor, I'll have a couple of beers earlier in the day.

Heck, if I knew what kinds of beer he likes, I'd send him a case.

God bless America.

Posts: 13883 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...guess I'll have a couple of days to track down some Zimas Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4359 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
If they wait until Sunday we can all listen to the Democrats complain about delay delay delay... Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Much to celebrate this evening folks. It's been a rollercoaster ride the past couple of weeks, but I, as I'm sure all of you look forward to toasting Justice Kavanaugh on Saturday, in my case, with a frosty mug of a malty adult beverage in honor of Justice Kavanaugh. Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Ben Shapiro has some scathing observations of conflicting statements, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2c0ogfBe5M

57:00 video, and he talks at rapid pace. Some of these I've seen elsewhere, but he has some points I had missed. Take a little scan to see whether you want to listen to his presentation.

This particular video was published yesterday.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes and an interview here:

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...to-daughters-wedding

Posts: 13098 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post