SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Flake speaking now. He's turning. Mad

I almost lost my lunch. What a spineless RINO.

Im no Flake fan, but he voted yes in comittee, and he gave himself a week to nut-up and vote yes again the floor. Im not sure if this was just a ploy to get Kavanaugh through comittee or not, but he made it- thats step one. Overall this is a win for us today and a loss for the Dems.
It was nothing but an attempt to draw attention to himself, and its working. The man has a blood lust for attention and he simply couldn't pass up this opportunity.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Seeing how he doesn't have any choice . . .

Which is why the title is misleading. He didn’t use the word “accept” as though he had a choice. What he literally said was

quote:
“Whatever they think is necessary is OK,” Mr. Trump told reporters at the White House. “I just want it to work out well for the country.”

The title of the article wants you to think he made a comment as if he will allow this when that’s not really what happened.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'd be fine with it if they also investigated Ford's testimony, how she came to contact Feinstein, how her name got leaked, who told her to claim she if afraid to fly, why her parents and siblings didn't support her, etc.

The problem with this is that it will not be done in a week. Count Flake and Murkowski as a no. Because they are, no matter how many weeks pass and how many "investigations" take place. Pin down Collins, yes or no. Decide your next move from there.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Im no Flake fan, but he voted yes in comittee, and he gave himself a week to nut-up and vote yes again the floor. Im not sure if this was just a ploy to get Kavanaugh through comittee or not, but he made it- thats step one. Overall this is a win for us today and a loss for the Dems.
It was nothing but an attempt to draw attention to himself, and its working. The man has a blood lust for attention and he simply couldn't pass up this opportunity.

I'm guessing this deal involved bringing Manchin and the other two undecideds onboard

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I'm not so sure the FBI wants any of this. Who has to request it? McConnel? Trump?
I wouldn't be surprised that when the request is made the FBI gives a statement about not being able to investigate a non federal crime. This is a civil matter that needs to be handled by local authorities where the alleged crime occurred. This needs to be initiated by Ms. Ford filing a complaint with local authorities in the jurisdiction where this happened. There is not a statute of limitations where this supposedly took place.

In addition we have already completed our background investigation of Judge Kavanaugh.
I'm not sure the FBI needs or wants to open up another can of political worms on themselves.

Edit to add. Didn't Grassley or somebody say today they were told by the FBI they have done their part and the matter is closed on their end?

There has been a lot of confusion about this topic. The FBI completes background checks on candidates for various post, including Supreme Court Justice. They have already completed one on Kavanaugh for this process. What is being asked is that the FBI background check be reopened to examine this specific matter. I believe the same thing was done in the Clarance Thomas confirmation after Anita Hill made her accusations.

I may be wrong but I thought the FBI got reinvolved in the Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill fiasco because they were both federal employees at the time of the alleged incident(s) thus making it the FBI's jurisdiction as it could be a federal crime at that point.

This wouldn't be the case of Mark Judge or Ms. Ford or anyone else involved in this. They are all private citizens. I'm hoping Grassley has something up his sleeve on this. Maybe he already knows the FBI is going to decline for valid legal reasons and no one can cry political foul.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s another week. All this has ever been about is one more week, one more day. Stall stall stall in hopes of getting past midterms.

Why didn’t DiFi release the info when she had it? Why did Dr. Ford lie and say she was afraid to fly? Why did seemingly nobody tell Ford that the committee would fly to her? Why didn’t she appear earlier?

It all about delaying this as long as possible and nothing else. What Flake did was delay it again. Don’t be shocked if in a week another RINO asked for another week...

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What good does all this cynicism do? Do you guys actually want to read that stuff? Do you want to wallow in misery?? Someone, please explain this to me. What is the point of all these negative comments? What is the point of declaring defeat before the battle is over??

Does it make you feel better to open this thread and see all this negative, we're-doomed-and-it's-never-going-to-get-better crap? What is the point of all that??

Am I not getting through? If you're in a battle, do you want to be surrounded by people who not only believe in your cause, but who also try to buoy up their comrades?

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
It's time to send a note of encouragement to those making the good fight.

https://www.senate.gov/general...ion/senators_cfm.cfm

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Para thanks for chiming in again on that issue.
Lets think about this, an FBI investigation on this shit will be the first investigation of Dr. Ford. I believe that may well sink her credibility, if there was any.

Also, wouldn't you just love to see the FBI go through all the country club records and find out she was boozing it up at the pool before this supposed party??

A whole bunch of good stuff may come from this yet

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Do they need minority members to to have quorom? If so flakes tactics actually helped the cause. He also ran out the clock for the 2 hour rule. Hes no hero but he appeared to be helping.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post

Kavanaugh and Judge are a go. I wonder how thrilled Ford is to the thought of actually being interviewed by the FBI? Hopefully she dosen't have a surf trip to Hawaii planned.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What good does all this cynicism do?

Indeed.

Some of you need to get a grip. Flake did not quite flip, as I'd seen suggested, earlier, but kinda-sorta-half-flipped. He and Murkowski will, by implication, vote "Yea" after a 1-week FBI investigation that fails to reveal any new information. Which is precisely what I expect to happen, and precisely why this is a waste of time and money. (I would expect the same result after months of investigation, really, because I believe there's nothing to be found.)

They simply will not come up with anything new, either way, and Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What good does all this cynicism do?

Indeed.

Some of you need to get a grip. Flake did not quite flip, as I'd seen suggested, earlier, but kinda-sorta-half-flipped. He and Murkowski will, by implication, vote "Yea" after a 1-week FBI investigation that fails to reveal any new information. Which is precisely what I expect to happen, and precisely why this is a waste of time and money. (I would expect the same result after months of investigation, really, because I believe there's nothing to be found.)

They simply will not come up with anything new, either way, and Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

Correct and there was no vote to extend the invedtigation in committee. Grassley closed the meeting. Its not required. They could.vote tuesday if they have the votes technically.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So the next move is: vote as scheduled or delay.
Curious to see what McConnell does.
Risk it all on a vote or let the dems run us over.
Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So the next move is: vote as scheduled or delay.
Curious to see what McConnell does.
Risk it all on a vote or let the dems run us over.
Eek

The Judiciary Cmte has already announced that there will be a one week delay for a supplemental background investigation.

This will not be an FBI criminal investigation.

This is a supplemental background investigation. This consists of agents taking statements from people and doing record checks, credit checks, etc. that have already been done 6 times. They will go to Ford and the others involved and take statements, which the committee has already done. They can't subpoena anyone or compel them to give a statement. We will be right where we are today next week at this time.

Also, just another FYI, the Montgomery County, Md police chief has issued a statement that no criminal complaint had been filed and that at the time of the alleged incident in 1982, assault and attempted rape were both misdemeanors with a one year statute of limitations.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My post isn’t cynicism it’s realism. The left is trying to delay and so far they’ve been very successful.

I’m not at all worried. Time will run out soon and I’m confident Kavanaugh will be elected. Not once in this thread have I expressed anything to the contrary. It is frustrating watching this shitshow so other than a couple hours of yesterday’s hearing I’ve not been watching.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So tomorrow the Senate will have a motion to proceed on the nomination. I'm guessing so that as soon as the supplemental background check is complete the Senate can immediately move to a full vote to confirm? Is that about right?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a question, and I'm not being cynical, just covering all the bases, but what if the FBI can't finish in a week?

Do they wrap it up, or do they keep it open?

EVERYTHING is in play with the left and EVERYTHING needs to have a plan of action to confront.

I hope Manchin reads this.

posted Hide Post
More at the link.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...fore-final-vote.html

The Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Friday called for the FBI to conduct a limited investigation into the allegations of sexual assault against Brett Kavanaugh before a final floor vote is held.

In a statement released by Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, the committee is requesting that the Trump administration “instruct the FBI” to conduct the investigation, which would be “limited to current credible allegations against the nominee and must be completed no later than one week from today.”

Republicans had resisted calls from Democrats for the FBI to investigate the claims. But the committee called for a limited, supplemental background investigation after several undecided senators called for a FBI probe before a final vote takes place.

The White House would have to order the FBI to conduct the investigation.

FBI officials told Fox News on Friday afternoon they still have not been contacted by the White House to investigate the allegations against Kavanaugh.

When asked if they could get the investigation done in a week, a senior FBI official said, "That depends on the schedules of everyone we'd have to interview," including the accuser, accused and witnesses.”

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I have a question, and I'm not being cynical, just covering all the bases, but what if the FBI can't finish in a week?

Do they wrap it up, or do they keep it open?

EVERYTHING is in play with the left and EVERYTHING needs to have a plan of action to confront.

Check out my post at the top of this page. This is just a supplemental background investigation. The FBI will ask the people involved if they want to give a statement. They will say yes or no. If yes, the FBI will take the statement and put in the file. If no, they will just report that they took additional statements from x, y and z and that's it. They are not doing a criminal investigation or reaching any conclusions, so the time limit given is it - they will just present what they have after a week.

Of course the dems are not going to accept it and say they need more time. That is already happening and it hasn't even started yet. They need to just go ahead and schedule the vote for a week from now and whatever is reported by the FBI is what it is.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post