SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
A democrat who hasn't bowed the knee to Michael Bloomberg

https://bearingarms.com/came/2...acking-gun-mag-bans/

quote:

VA Dem Senator: I’m Not Backing Gun Or Magazine Bans

Posted at 11:00 am on January 29, 2020 by Cam Edwards

One of four Democrat state senators in Virginia who have gone on the record in opposition to Gov. Ralph Northam’s gun ban bill now says he won’t back any legislation that bans firearms or magazines.

Sen. Lynwood Lewis, who represents Virginia’s Eastern Shore as well as part of Norfolk, says in a new editorial on the state of gun legislation that his focus is on what he deems “access issues” or, as he put it, “trying to make sure that the filter between those whom we all agree should not have access to firearms is a tight one.” That’s why Lewis says he supports the universal background check bill that cleared the Senate, as well as “red flag” legislation. Lewis says bills targeting guns and magazines are a different issue entirely.

quote:

The bill which rightfully had everyone very concerned (SB16) never even made it out of committee. That is why I caution everyone who was so worried about the bill that anybody can introduce a bill — whether it passes or not is a completely different question. There is no Senate bill now regarding the banning of assault rifles. The Governor’s bill on this topic was introduced in the House of Delegates and is being carried by Delegate Mark Levine. As I stated publicly before the Session and as was reported in Eastern Shore news media I will not be supporting any type of ban legislation whether on a particular type of firearm or a particular type of magazine.

Lewis says he also has major concerns with a couple of other gun bills that actually do deal with access to firearms.

quote:

In addition Senator Howell has proposed SB581 which is very problematic and further highlights the cultural divide in our Commonwealth. That bill has an unintended consequence making it very difficult for our young people between the ages of fourteen and eighteen to have access to firearms for hunting and other purposes. Unless that legislation is amended in some significant way I will not be voting in favor of it.

Senator Saslaw put in a bill which would raise the legal age for firearm purchases to twenty-one. As a general philosophical approach to legislation which seeks to increase the age threshold from eighteen to twenty-one I have a problem, since we allow eighteen year olds to vote and in all other respects be treated as adult members of society. I do not believe that we can pick and choose for which things they should be held accountable as adults. We should have had that discussion decades ago when we decided to treat eighteen year olds as full adults. Unless we want to have that larger discussion again, I will resist increasing the age to twenty-one.

Democrats have a 21-19 advantage in Virginia’s state senate, which means without Lewis’s support, the best Democrats could hope for would be a 20-20 tie with the tie-breaking vote to approve a gun ban coming from Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax. At last report, however, Lewis has three other Democrat colleagues in the Senate who are also objecting to the current language of HB 961. If that voting bloc remains intact, Northam’s gun ban bill won’t have the votes to get to his desk.

Virginia gun owners need to keep up their contacts with legislators, even if you think your state senator or delegate is unpersuadable. They need to be hearing from their constituents, and they need to know that, despite what Michael Bloomberg tells them, the voters in their districts aren’t demanding legislation that turns legal gun owners into criminals while ignoring those actually responsible for committing robberies, shootings, and homicides. Virginia gun owners are sure to see Gov. Ralph Northam sign some awful bills, but right now there’s a real chance that the centerpiece of his gun control agenda can be defeated before it can become law.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Second article, stating above is true.

We only need one more to go on record, and no gun/mag bans. Article says there are three others.

Small victory, everything else (which is pretty fucking bad) that left Senate will pass house, and of course Gov. Blackface McBabymurder will sign.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Gov. Blackface McBabymurder

See, I told everyone his name was Gov. Blackface McBabymurder. You guys thought his name was Gov. Jolson Klanrobe.

BTW, Linwood Lewis represents gun-country - rural eastern shore and I think Matthews County. You can't really mess with guns and represent Matthews. There are more guns in Matthews County than there are ticks.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well shit, I thought I just made that up. Either way I'm a fan of his new moniker. Gov. Blackface McBabymurder is his new identity to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Does that mean I have to stop referring to him as King Ralph? It was starting to catch on at work... Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not counting my chickens yet on D senators not sticking to the agenda, but Hope springs eternal. I've not seen reports on how it went Tuesday at the Fairfax BOS meeting, but my first sense they will keep kicking the 2A Sanctuary issue down the road.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Not counting my chickens yet on D senators not sticking to the agenda, but Hope springs eternal. I've not seen reports on how it went Tuesday at the Fairfax BOS meeting, but my first sense they will keep kicking the 2A Sanctuary issue down the road.

There were only three speakers, Erich Pratt from GOA did an excellent job as did the other two. People do need to learn to hold applause until the end of the speakers time as doing during their 3 minutes is counterproductive. The attendance was weak, seating in the gallery might have been two thirds full. I agree that the BoS will just try to let us fizzle out so we have to keep the pressure on them.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Thanks for the info. Perhaps they and others are seeing they kicked over a hornet's nest which was best left alone.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Does that mean I have to stop referring to him as King Ralph? It was starting to catch on at work... Cool

I thought he was now Lord Northam, the village idiot

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

I thought he was now Lord Northam, the village idiot

He’s Commie Bloomberg Whore Ralphie Coonman Jackass.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
I thought I had read through this thread pretty well, but may have missed it. For those guys who want to sign the various petitions but don't live near the guy collecting them, are they being emailed a copy of the form so that it can be signed buy the dude and his 10 friends, getting notarized, and then being mailed back?

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
MikeV,

If you are referring to the petitions to get Daniel Gade on the REP primary ballot, several of us are coordinating & cooperating to get signatures.

There is not a standard uniform approach because people are scattered over Virginia. So far we have been able to tailor approaches for quite a few people, but it is an ongoing process and we are not finished yet.

The method you described is one of the approaches being used.

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This post and the next post are directly related

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/...er-bowl-gun-control/

Bloomberg Unveils Super Bowl Ad Focusing On Gun Control

Michael Bloomberg released his :60 Super Bowl ad on Thursday morning, and the spot focuses on his gun control efforts as the founder of Everytown for Gun Safety.

The ad, titled “George,” talks about 20-year old George Kemp, Jr. who was shot and killed in Texas in 2013 . Kemp’s mother, Calandrian Simpson Kemp, describes the pain of losing her child, before the ad transitions to pictures of Bloomberg at a Mayors Against Illegal Guns podium as Kemp says that Bloomberg “heard mothers crying, so he started fighting.”

Kemp goes on to say that Bloomberg isn’t “afraid of the gun lobby… they’re afraid of him,” portraying the fight as one between the valiant billionaire and some amorphous “gun lobby,” as opposed to Bloomberg’s billions versus the millions of law-abiding gun owners he wants to turn into felons or unarmed subjects. If Bloomberg is really serious about tackling “gun violence,” you’d think he’d want criminals to be afraid of him, not the nation’s legal gun owners.

The ad doesn’t mention a single gun control policy backed by Bloomberg, nor does highlight Bloomberg’s comments just a few years ago about reducing gun violence by disarming black men under the age of 25 , as well as “throwing” young minority males “up against the wall” to stop and frisk them for weapons as a means of enforcing his gun control laws. In fact, now that Bloomberg’s running for president, he now says he’s opposed to the controversial practice.

The ad closes with a shot of Bloomberg hugging a young child, with the tag “Mike Will Get It Done,” but it’s unclear what the “it” is. Reducing violent crime? It’s already declining.

The fact is that Bloomberg and gun control groups are pushing policies that an increasing number of researchers say are ineffective at stopping violence involving firearms.

Dr Bindu Kalesan says that her work and that of others shows even further differences between various groups and communities that suggest that a broad and blunt approach to stemming gun violence may be ineffective.

Instead, she says that efforts to counteract gun violence need to be tailored to the groups they affect and address the social issues that drive them, such as poverty, mental health issues and drug use.

That’s not the Bloomberg way. Instead, his plans are aimed squarely at legal gun owners.

Bloomberg ad at link

Bloomberg is not interested in stopping crime; he is interested in creating criminals out of the most law abiding citizens in the country.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
related to above post

from Oct 2013

http://www.fortbendstar.com/co...have-gang-overtones/

Could neighborhood murder have gang overtones

Thursday night just minutes before midnight, 911 calls of shots fired in the north Fort Bend County neighborhood of Lakemont began rolling in at the Sheriff’s Office.

According to authorities, a caller on Granite Trails Lane reported hearing four gunshots behind his house, looked out and saw three shirtless males, running past his home. Another caller reported the gunshots and yet another caller reported seeing a body in the street. Shortly after midnight when the first deputy arrived on the scene he found the body of a man in the 7500 block of Rosepath Lane in the subdivision which is along FM 1093/Westpark Toll Road, between Mason Road and Texas 99/Grand Parkway.

The deceased man was identified as George Harold Kemp Jr., 20, who died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Sheriff’s spokesman Bob Haenel said, “Witnesses told deputies they were riding with Kemp in Kemp’s vehicle. Kemp drove to the Lakemont subdivision to confront Brandon Lacour over a personal matter .

Kemp parked down the street from Lacour’s residence and called him on his cell phone, challenging Lacour, 17, to a fight .

Lacour showed up with several other persons, all riding in Lacour’s vehicle.” Haenel went on to explain, “Lacour and his passengers exited the vehicle and approached Kemp. One of Lacour’s passengers was carrying a hand gun. Witnesses told deputies that Lacour told the subject with the gun to shoot George Kemp, which he did.”

Armed with the description of Lacour’s vehicle, a responding Sheriff’s Major discovered the vehicle and engaged in a brief pursuit within the subdivision. Within a couple of minutes the suspect vehicle was stopped by enforcement division Major James Hines, and taken into custody. Lacour was booked into the Fort Bend County Jail charged with murder.

At press time Sheriff’s detectives are asking the public to help identify and locate the actual shooter. He has been described as a black male, 17 to 19 years old, approximately 5’7”, weighing about 150 pounds. This suspect was last seen wearing a dark blue or black shirt, baggy pants and a red bandanna around his neck.

Information which leads to the apprehension and charges on either of these men involved could earn a reward of up to $5,000.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

another way to stop gun violence is for 20 yo men not to drive around at midnight challenging others to a fight.

another article w more details of the homicide

https://fortbendstrategies.wor...gory/trial-and-jury/

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Were White Nationalists Really Planning To Attack The Virginia Gun Rights Rally? According To Police Records, Not Exactly

Daily Caller, to hard to cut and paste from their site. They were actually arrested on their way to a camping trip.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Were White Nationalists Really Planning To Attack The Virginia Gun Rights Rally? According To Police Records, Not Exactly

Daily Caller, to hard to cut and paste from their site. They were actually arrested on their way to a camping trip.

Yep. Someone in the DOJ tipped off Lord Ralph, Whore de Bloomberg with the details and they quickly spun it to suit the desired result of issuing the state of emergency. These folks are not playing fair and I am certain they won't like it when we start playing with no rules.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
reminder

since Superbowl is tomorrow, 2 posts above I gave a link to the superbowl ad that Bloomberg will run.

Also gave a link to what really happened in that specific case.

FYI

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Virginia Senate blocks another Northam-backed gun bill

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...cks-another-gun-bill

Virginia lawmakers on Monday rejected a gun control bill proposed by Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam, as the state continues to become the battleground in the nation's gun debate.

The Senate Judiciary Committee voted against Northam's bill that would make it a felony to "recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm” in a way that endangers a minor.

“This bill will keep children safe from loaded, unsecured firearms. Like Gov. Northam’s other commonsense gun safety measures, it is something that everyone -- including responsible gun owners -- should support,” said Northam’s spokeswoman, Alena Yarmosky.

The bill is one of eight the Northam has proposed for adoption, drawing the ire of gun-rights activists nationwide.

Two Democrats -- state Sens. Creigh Deeds and Chap Petersen -- joined with Republicans to defeat the measure. They cited concerns that law-abiding gun owners would be unfairly punished.

Another measure that would ban so-called assault weapons like AR-15 rifles is also in danger of falling short. Some of Northam's gun control measures have passed in the state's Democratic-controlled General Assembly and lawmakers will hash out the differences between both chambers in the coming weeks.

Some of the bills include limiting handgun purchases to once a month; universal background checks on gun purchases; and a red flag bill that would allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from anyone deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others.

Guns have been at the forefront of Virginia politics following a mass shooting in Virginia Beach last year that ended with a dozen people dead.

Thousands of gun-rights activists gathered in the state capital of Richmond last month to protest a push by Democrats to enact tough gun control measures. The gathering prompted Northam to declare a state of emergency days before amid fears of potential violence.

The rally went without incident.

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From VCDL today

quote:

View this email in your browser

1. ACTION ITEM: Gun bills to be heard in House subcommittee on Tuesday, 2/4/20 at 8:30 am!
2. ACTION ITEM: "Assault Weapon" ban bill to be heard on Friday, 2/7/20 at 8 am!
ACTION ITEM: Gun bills to be heard in House subcommittee on Tuesday, 2/4/20 at 8:30 am!

Tomorrow, Tuesday, February 4, at 8:30 am the House Firearms subcommittee is going to consider eleven gun bills. The meeting will be in the 300-A Subcommittee Room in the Pocahontas Building (temporary General Assembly Building) at 900 East Main Street in Richmond.

HB78, Kory, takes away a person’s firearms rights for a misdemeanor conviction of domestic violence. The bill allows for the restoration of the person’s firearms rights after 2 years if the person petitions the circuit court and the judge and Commonwealth Attorney agree the right should be restored. VCDL is neutral.

HB459, Sullivan, takes away a person’s right to purchase, possess, or transport a firearm if they are guilty of certain misdemeanor assault and battery convictions. The bill has a provision to petition the court for rights restoration after two years have elapsed since the conviction. Misdemeanors should never strip away a person’s civil rights. It is bad enough that misdemeanor domestic violence takes away a person's right to possess firearms. VCDL strongly OPPOSES this bill.

HB900, Levine, takes away a person’s right to purchase, possess, or transport a firearm if they are guilty of certain misdemeanor assault and battery convictions. The bill has a provision to petition the court for rights restoration after two years have elapsed since the conviction. Misdemeanors should never strip away a person’s civil rights. It is bad enough that misdemeanor domestic violence takes away a person's right to possess firearms. VCDL strongly OPPOSES this bill.

HB1288, Murphy, takes away a person’s firearms rights for a misdemeanor conviction of domestic violence. The bill allows for the restoration of the person’s firearms rights after 5 years if the person petitions the circuit court and the judge and Commonwealth Attorney agree the right should be restored. VCDL is neutral.

HB142, Davis, removes the online training option for those wishing to get a concealed handgun permit. VCDL strongly opposes this bill as written, but there is expected to be new language that might mitigate the opposition.

HB264, Lopez, removes the online training option for those wishing to get a concealed handgun permit. HB 264 is a solution to a non-existent problem and would hurt those who might be in a hurry to get their concealed carry permit due to an unanticipated and immediate threat to their life. VCDL strongly OPPOSES.

HB224, Freitas, Constitutional Carry. 16 other state have Constitutional Carry. VCDL strongly SUPPORTS.

HB600, Hope, requires family day homes to have firearms unloaded and locked up separate from any ammunition during hours of operation, making the firearms useless for self-defense or defense of the children. An unjustified restriction on law-abiding gun owners. VCDL strongly OPPOSES.

HB1409, Rush, Prohibits the General Assembly and the executive branch of government from considering the Second Amendment sanctuary status of any locality in the Commonwealth in making any appropriation decisions. VCDL strongly SUPPORTS.

HB1499, Bourne, creates a “Gun Violence Intervention and Prevention Fund” to provide money to various organizations and local government agencies for the purpose of reducing gun violence. This is just another effort to villainize and single out firearms, not reduce crime. Take the words “Gun” and “Firearms” out of the bill and make it about any illegal violence. A person killed by someone misusing a knife is just as dead as a person killed by someone misusing a firearm. VCDL strongly OPPOSES as written.

HB1689, Campbell, R.R., protects the People’s right to keep and bear arms under Article 1, Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution by invalidating any gun laws that infringe on that right. VCDL strongly SUPPORTS.

2. ACTION ITEM: "Assault Weapon" ban bill to be heard on Friday, 2/7/20 at 8 am!

On Friday morning, February 7 at 8 am, the House Public Safety committee is going to meet for the last time before cross over (when bills that passed one house, heads to the other house for consideration).

The remaining "Assault Weapon " ban bill, HB 961, will either be heard on Friday or it will be dead. We have to assume it will be heard and need a strong turnout to oppose this monstrosity:

HB 961, Delegate Levine, makes the following things illegal: carrying a loaded shotgun that holds more than 7 rounds in public; possession, sale, etc. of “assault firearms,” with a definition so broad as to catch almost all centerfire semi-automatic firearms; magazines that hold more than 10 rounds; suppressors; and “trigger activators.” A person who owns an “assault firearm” on July 1, 2020, can keep the gun if they register it. HB 961 turns law-abiding citizens who own a perfectly legal and constitutionally protected product on June 30, into a felon on July 1. The Virginia Tech massacre commission concluded that the killer having 10-round magazines would have made no difference in the outcome. The Virginia Beach Chief of Police said such a magazine limitation would have made no difference in the massacre in their Building #2. Studies have shown that for self-defense larger magazines are beneficial. It is extremely rare for a suppressor to be used in a crime, as it makes the firearm much longer than usual. The vast majority of crimes committed with suppressor deals with the unlawful possession of a homemade suppressor. There is nothing in HB 961 that would lower crime. Its sole purpose is to disarm the public. Grandfathering existing “assault firearms” owners disarms the next generation and does not make this bill more palatable. This bill is rife with unjustified restrictions and is nothing short of a full-fledged attack on law-abiding gun owners. VCDL strongly OPPOSES this bill, which has no redeeming language in it.

If you haven't seen it, here is a video of Delegate Mark Levine explaining HB 961. Do you laugh, cry, or just run into the night screaming? He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about, but this man's efforts could turn YOU into a criminal overnight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...xpQ&feature=emb_logo

Twitter
Facebook
To join VCDL, click here. To contribute to VCDL, click here.

To view the archives, click here.

Copyright © 2020 Virginia Citizens Defense League, All rights reserved.
Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: https://vcdl.org/join

VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings

Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website or you signed up at a gun show or other event.

Our mailing address is:
Virginia Citizens Defense League
PO Box 513
Newington, VA 22122-0513

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

This week
Show quoted text

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Town of Midway (northern Davidson County, NC) voted in favor of declaring the town a Second Amendment Protected town.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post