SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How did you chose your Sig Forum handle ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How did you chose your Sig Forum handle ? Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
In a different thread I asked this question ... will start off with sns3guppy's story :

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by old dino:
sns3guppy, slosig and gocatgo (another fun thread would be how we chose our handles).

My login was originally supposed to be SNS2 Guppy, which is the first airplane I started building (a small spruce and fabric single-seat reverse staggerwing biplane, if anyone cares), designed long ago by Hobie Sorrell. I mistyped it as sns3guppy, which has carried over to various sites since. Hobie designed several airplanes, prefacing them with SNS, and then the number in sequence of his designs. He's better known for a couple of plans-built airplanes called the Hyperlite and the Hyperbipe, both of which are later versions of the Guppy.

I think I was here under a different name some time prior, but can't really remember, and ended up signing up with that name. Nothing too magical, maybe kind of geeky.

When I flew medevac and ambulance, I did so in light piston airplanes off dirt airstrips using flare-pots and flashlights and vehicle lights for runway lighting, as well as turboprop aircraft, and turobjet aircraft, doing emergency transport, adminstrative (non-emergency and moving people), as well as a lot of organ recovery and organ transport (hearts, kidneys, bone, etc).

The nail in the proverbial coffin for me was a week that had several kids, each dying of cancer, and one young adult I flew home to pass away. I hit my limit and went back to firefighting. It's always the kids.

The one medical flight that I still see when I close my eyes, decades later, was a boy who drowned. I got called out of a movie for the flight, one night. He was Hopi, and had to be back on the reservation and interred by sunrise, by their tradition. It was a calm night, full moon, and when I glanced over my shoulder at the gurney at a body bag with a lump that only covered half the gurney, that image is as clear and sorrowful to me today as it was then, and it still chokes me up.

I flew severe burn victims, horrific multi-casualty vehicle pile up victims, gunshots, cancer, a guy who took a chainsaw to the face, and even patients with flies and patients spraying fluids. The ones that haunt, and the ones that finally led to that "can't-take-it-anymore" moment, were the kids. That's always been true for everyone I've known in emergency services, too.

Organ transplants are flights of hope. I wish you, and your family the best in this endeavor. It's the positive side of the coin. God bless you, and your family.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boy and I love the Jason Bourne series of movies. It was just something I came up with when he was younger and it makes me think of him back during those times.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
My story is working the street with mostly young troops who view both my person and working style as old school ... which morphed into being T-rex.

I played off of that with my Sig Forum handle of "old dino" as in an old dinosaur.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in MT for many years. Its the description of a winter tree which has a painful magnetic property between it and myself while skiing. I also have email, used to have personal truck plates with the same

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Once I decided to join, I think I went through 20 - 30 odd choices. They were all taken. It wound up stretching into days and weeks. I finally decided to try my old Honda, V-45 Magna.

It was taken

So I reluctantly added the year, 83. When it finally accepted it, I was almost disappointed since it was so long and arcane. It wasn't like I had my heart set on anything. I just needed something that wasn't already taken.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My boys thought it would be funny for me to have personalized license plates on the new convertible sports car I bought for my impending retirement now close to two decades ago. They suggested what became not only my 2003 Honda S2000's license plates but my online handle.
I am after all really bald as have they become. So I'm numero uno. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I tried "DumbAss", but it was rejected, so...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The first gun forum to which I belonged had a lot of well-known people in the gun world as members who used their real names, so I did too.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
An old email address. cparktd@xxxxxx

"Commerce Park" was shortened to "cpark". That was the location designation of one site of a multi location business. The "td" is my initials.

John Smith would have been cparkjs@xxxxxxx

It kind of stuck for other uses over the years.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed, and I had just bought my first Sig - a Sig/Hammerli Trailside.

In hindsight, I would have been more creative...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Football team plus Darell Green and Art Monks jersey numbers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
My fist corporation: Downtown Ventures Inc.

Many thought is was lady parts, but no.

There were many more after that very first one and it has kept my CPA, fat and happy.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the rum.
But also as far as pirates go, he was a very successful one.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used it for nearly 30 years, as it was what I loved to do back then.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's my name.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I hate mine because I think people think I’m trying to sound like a badass.

In reality I’d just finished reading “On a Pale Horse” by Piers Anthony and it was just the first thing that came to mind.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I owned a hay business.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My role at my current and likely last employer was a lubricant formulator. The vanity plate in my commonwealth allowed me to create a simple cryptic version of that role. In forums, usernames are a challenge to find and this one was unique and not used on several, so I chose it.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m a bit sassy, and I do tend to be irreverent (in a good way, I think- joking/teasing). It’s also kind of a play on my spouse’s name.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Over the years I developed a liking for big muzzle flashes. When I began participating in gun boards (this was not the first one) I chose "flashguy" and have used it on all the gun boards I frequent (there are several, but this one is primary). My avatar is one I created myself to illustrate my username--it is an attempt to depict the flash from my Grizzly in .50AE.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post