SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2** Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Local TV stations down here love to run stories about people taking advantage of the elderly.

The only GM that should be involved is the dealership's general manager.

Posts: 11113 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
The dealership got back with us. GM has agreed to replace the engine for $7,900.

Posts: 7402 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
GM has agreed to replace the engine for $7,900.

They want you to pay $7,900?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15752 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The dealer should be paying that. Sounds like a good deal, you should tell the dealer to take it! Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3777 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
No way I would pay a penny more than the price of the initially agreed to work on the truck. I would at this point expect the dealership to make the repair and eat the original charges as well.

At this point in the game I would be on the phone to every local media outlet I could find as well as on social media explaining how the dealership is trying to take advantage of your father.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6498 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed the dealership should be paying that. You took the vehicle to them with the engine running and after a test drive, the engine blew ??? They have and pay insurance for that. Actually, that may be a good idea for you to contact your dad's car insurance and see if they can do anything. Just a thought. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3076 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for your Council to write a letter and make a phone call to the owner of the dealership

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6247 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, that may be a good idea for you to contact your dad's car insurance and see if they can do anything. Just a thought. God Bless

That's not a bad idea. Ill have him call his agent.

I think at this point dad is afraid if we piss them off they will say the 7,900 deal is off. Then he would be left with a 20k+ bill.

He wants a new truck. But realistically he only has another couple years of driving left. He doesn't need to be going out and signing an 80k loan for 5 years.

Posts: 7402 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What is their reasoning for that figure? Strange number, almost sounds like a 50/50 split parts and labor but I’m not current on parts pricing.

Sounds strange that General Motors would roll over without even a tear down of the engine to determine what failed.

May be time to consult an attorney.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8172 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Actually, that may be a good idea for you to contact your dad's car insurance and see if they can do anything. Just a thought. God Bless

I think at this point dad is afraid if we piss them off they will say the 7,900 deal is off. Then he would be left with a 20k+ bill.

That's probably why they started it so astronomically high. They want you to eat the cost of their mistake and this makes it look like a good deal.

Posts: 3667 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds strange that General Motors would roll over without even a tear down of the engine to determine what failed.

Not sure why GM would be involved at all unless it's a warranty issue, this would be the dealer rolling over not GM.

You getting involved probably changed the tune at the dealership, I'd ask to speak with the GM and ask him why your 80 year old father should be paying anything at all..

Posts: 23664 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
The dealership got back with us. GM has agreed to replace the engine for $7,900.

Ask, in a serious tone, if that is what they are willing to pay your dad for their mistake (plus replacing the engine) or better yet, pay $200-$300 for a lawyer to draft the letter for your dad. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14048 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

See my comment about dealing with these idiots.

As in, CONTACT THE CORPORATE MANAGEMENT OF THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THEM!

Do now waste time with the dealership!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25645 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Did anybody tear this engine down yet? If nobody has I'm calling B.S. on GM offering any assistance even with owner participation of almost eight grand.

Speaking from years of GM dealership fixed operations experience I don't see them authorizing a major assembly replacement without a teardown when the reason for the failure is not evident like a hole in the side of the block. Even then they are going to try to determine why it happened, if it can be determined by abuse, neglect or improper repairs they will walk away. On the other hand, GM will step up at times reluctantly to assist when the problem can be traced back to the factory, sometimes requiring customer participation (money) or on GM's money.

If they can determine a vehicle has been damaged due to improper or lack of maintenance, abuse, unauthorized modifications, improper repairs, even under the warranty period they can deny any assistance.

Out of warranty it gets even tougher. You are assumed to be guilty until proven innocent. Ask the guys that used those add on Diesel tuners. GM determined that a spate of Duramax failures were due to add on tuners and or PCM reprogramming. GM engineers found "fingerprints" on the factory calibrations even though the add on tuners were removed or reprogrammed back to factory specs. GM had it down to specific types of damage to internal engine components. The TSB had photos attached to show what to look for. Any sign of tuning tampering, the fix was on the owner's dime.

Not going to tell you what to do but I think it would pay to run this by an attorney before you go much further.

Also, if you do have a meeting with the dealership upper level management and owner you may want them to involve the factory rep handling the case. If they make excuses why he cannot be there that would make me suspicious of the "offer" by GM, they just may be bluffing that they have factory assistance.

Or the story that they gave the factory rep is slightly different than you were told, not too wise on their part if true but never assume anything.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8172 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's not a bad idea. Ill have him call his agent.

He wants a new truck. But realistically he only has another couple years of driving left. He doesn't need to be going out and signing an 80k loan for 5 years.

Mechanical failure isn't covered under auto insurance unfortunately. Regardless of whether it was regular wear and tear or mechanics screw up.

Posts: 6376 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Here in not-so-sunny UK a dealership took out a Porsche GT3 for a test run after its first service and totalled it in a ditch after driving through a patch of oil dumped in the road by a busted sump. Never found out the id of the dumper, but the dealership insurance paid up for a 100% replacement car - via their insurance - at a tad over $190K.

The owner got a freebie loaner of an identical car while he waited for Porsche Special Projects to assemble his replacement.

Posts: 11359 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mechanical failure

But if it's proven that something was dropped into the engine or something the tech did caused this then I wouldn't consider that mechanical failure.

Posts: 11182 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The dealership destroyed your engine. The dealership needs to pay. Period. That includes providing a loaner. You shouldn’t pay one penny.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3983 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if it's proven that something was dropped into the engine or something the tech did

Which goes back to why there shouldn't be lawyers, insurance claims, or anything else at this point. Also why anything that the dealership says needs to be recorded.

The damage needs to be investigated, and that investigation needs to be done by somebody other than the dealer or under the supervision of a third party. That will determine what went wrong and who's responsible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15752 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me if GM knows nothing about this, $7900 is dealer cost on the replacement engine and the service department is eating the labor.
Maybe ask to see this offer in writing from General Motors unless GM means the general manager of the dealership.
I'd be carefully documenting everything at this point including phone conversations if possible (looks like it's legal to do so in your state if you are one of the parties in the conversation).

https://pslawkc.com/blog/recor...-pospisil-swift-llc/

Posts: 9599 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post