SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2** Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Why do you guys think they opened that motor up prior to the OP and his mechanic showing up per their agreement?

They found the cause, and that cause found its way into the nearest trash can before anybody else could see it.

Exactly. I ran into a lady in the Publix parking lot last year that had a one year old Escape that was blowing steam out the exhaust like you wouldn’t believe. She said they just repaired the engine under warranty and the mechanic lost a bolt in the engine. Lol. He apparently fired the engine up and realized his mistake and they still sent her out of there. I told her I can’t believe they let you leave the dealership with this thing. I told her that engine is toast and they’re gonna have to put another in it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3978 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The point being the OP needs to have the dealer show them what external part of the engine failed/broke, came in through the valve, bent it, and consequentially caused the damage and ended up being that shard if they want him to pony up any cash.

The fact that they won't find a broken part on the engine that would have caused this leads it to the fault of the mechanic.

IF interested this video shows what it takes to replace the EGR valve, plenty of things come off and plenty of room for something to fall into the intake..

Posts: 23540 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Why do you guys think they opened that motor up prior to the OP and his mechanic showing up per their agreement?

They found the cause, and that cause found its way into the nearest trash can before anybody else could see it.

100%

These dealership people are shady as hell.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 33856 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Any additional information on what the dealership is going to do?

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
That most definitely looks like something with some mass, likely a fastener / bolt, was pinging around inside that cylinder. Definitely get GM involved if they won't come clean and admit their fault. Those shards are pieces from the piston head, NOT what was causing the damage inside. The fact they opened the engine before you got there is proof of their guilt. If any of the fasteners in the general vicinity related to the work look newer / different than the others, that is a dead giveaway too. Again, get GM involved so they will do the right thing for you and your dad!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
What I find unbelievable is that 10 days have passed, and it appears that the customer has yet to contact GM directly.

No lawyers, no yelling at the dealership, just a nicely worded email to GM Corporate should have a new engine in that truck within 72 hours.

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
^^^Yep.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this is a candidate for a TV mini series.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You guys might want to lighten up on walker77... could very well be his aging father who is reticent here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I’m in no way attacking a fellow member, just stating something that actually makes everything easier.

That email would likely elicit an immediate call of apology from the dealership GM, and white glove treatment.

Something much less expensive happened to me in 2019 at another make, and not only did they make it right, but they gave me $2500 in service vouchers that do not expire.

The email just needs to lay out the facts, say that you are disappointed and a lifelong GM customer, and that you believe the dealership is being deceitful in its practices and how they have handled the situation. That’s it.

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What you posted:
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
What I find unbelievable is that 10 days have passed, and it appears that the customer has yet to contact GM directly.

No lawyers, no yelling at the dealership, just a nicely worded email to GM Corporate should have a new engine in that truck within 72 hours.

How it reads:
How stupid can you be for not following the advice I am giving you 10 days late in my very first post in your thread?

Just think of all the aggravation you could have saved yourself and your ederly father if you had just been even a little clairvoyant and followed my advice I'm giving you now, 10 days ago. If you had just listened to me, before I said anything, your dad's truck would be fixed.

I know it wasn't meant that way.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would be one way to go about it, perhaps he's giving them the benefit of the doubt and seeing if they will step up and honor the obligation as he sees it.

At this point he still has that option in his back pocket, granted until the head was pulled I doubt anything would be done by either party..

For now we'll see if the dealer steps up and fixes the truck, if they do, then his grandfather should keep it, he'll have a brand new engine with more miles left on it than he'll ever drive...

Posts: 23540 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What you posted:
quote:

How it reads:
How stupid can you be for not following the advice I am giving you 10 days late in my very first post in your thread?

Just think of all the aggravation you could have saved yourself and your ederly father if you had just been even a little clairvoyant and followed my advice I'm giving you now, 10 days ago. If you had just listened to me, before I said anything, your dad's truck would be fixed.

I know it wasn't meant that way.

The second and fourth replies to his original post both recommended GM customer service.

I in no way meant what you wrote, I’m merely trying to help the member resolve this without mental and financial pain.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
You guys might want to lighten up on walker77... could very well be his aging father who is reticent here.

Somebody gets it. I can only do so much. Ultimately its his call.

He also has a big surgery coming up. He is trying not to stress about this.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Somebody gets it. I can only do so much. Ultimately its his call.

He also has a big surgery coming up. He is trying not to stress about this.

walker77, totally understood. Prayers for you brother, and for your dad in this. I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction quickly.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only do so much. Ultimately its his call

It's not this that miffs us all. It's the fact that this dealership is clearly taking advantage of your father at every single turn.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get GM, and a lawyer involved. Edit to add: GM would NOT pay a dealer for a warranty failure on this engine based ooon the pictures on page 7.

I have post failure analysis experience on these engines. The gouges through the fire ring seal surface in the pictures did NOT happen with the cylinder head installed on the engine. That is intentional damage to the cylinder head after it was removed. I does appear to have ingested something, but to not do more damage or score a cylinder wall is amazing, yet justifies a high dollar replacement.

I agree that GM corporate is not officially involved, at least not above a dealer rep level. Maybe a rep who thinks he knows something or has targets to meet that this dealer is helping him with, but their story is BS. Ask Corporate if the Brand Quality Manager for the Duramax will weigh in on the pics of the damage, in writing or an email from the BQM, don't go through the dealer or trust them to relay info at this point.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope for a positive resolution to this.

Even though this doesn’t affect me personally I’m now emotionally invested.

If only GM realized that the negative publicity caused is more costly to their reputation, offsetting the millions of dollars they spend on advertising.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post