SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2** Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
More story helps.

There isn't a DEF valve. There is a DEF injector, but it isn't anywhere were replacing it would get anything dropped into the engine. There are two NOx sensors; one before the DEF injector and one after the DEF injector. The computer uses the readings from the sensors to determine how much DEF to inject. When they go bad, the computer throws codes. Replacing the one after the injector doesn't get parts dropped into the engine. That leaves the NOx sensor before the DEF injector. Based on a bit of reading, it's behind the engine. I suspect parts, such as the intake manifold, have to be removed from the engine to replace the sensor.

I really don't know, but you need to find out what exactly was done, by who, that would allow parts to fall into the engine. Someone owes your dad an engine.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
What's the private sale Blue Book on this vehicle? Might be easier for everyone if they just write you a check. They could then repair it and sell it and recoup some of their loss.

That's if they fess up to screwing it up.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Dad dropped this off today while I was at work. Grand total of 30k to do all recommended work.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that overtightening a small bolt can crack an engine block or cylinder liner. This just does not compute. The only openings into the cylinder that an object can fall through are through the glow plug and/or injector hole (they won't be removing either of those), or the intake port if the manifold is off. If the intake manifold had to be removed for access to a sensor, this scenario is very plausible. A diesel engine's high compression ratio necessarily means a very small combustion chamber. Bad enough on a gas engine, there is zero room for any foreign objects in there. A small bolt fallen through will cause a lot of damage, nicking up or even holing the piston and gouging the cylinder walls, cylinder head and valves.

If the above happened, yes, it's a mistake, yes, they shouldn't wiggle off the hook, but when engines are made overly complicated, this is giving trouble of this kind an engraved invitation.

Posts: 27992 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The receipt shows an EGR valve was replaced. Is that bolted to the intake manifold?
I'm not up to date on diesels so someone else will have to answer that question and if something could have been dropped into an opening somehow.
Also almost 6 grand to remove a cylinder head to inspect for damage sounds a little rich, and ballsy, if they dropped something inside that caused the damage.
I'd contact the zone service manager for the manufacturer too.
Something smells rotten in Denmark.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

How would I find this info?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can unless the service managers coughs up that info. He will be involved if GM customer service thinks he needs to be, call GM

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
The estimate also is charging $500 to swap out the batteries !!!!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4588 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic, maybe. But everyone wonders why American manufacturers are hated so much. Here's a good example of why. I understand them not wanting to eat that $20,000 charge, but its probably grossly inflated with their profit, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The receipt shows an EGR valve was replaced. Is that bolted to the intake manifold?
I'm not up to date on diesels so someone else will have to answer that question and if something could have been dropped into an opening somehow.
Also almost 6 grand to remove a cylinder head to inspect for damage sounds a little rich, and ballsy, if they dropped something inside that caused the damage.
Something smells rotten in Denmark.

Removing the EGR valve opens a path into the center of the intake manifold and cylinder 5 is one of the 4 central cylinders. I don't know that I'd trust the dealer to pull head and figure out what caused the damage.

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
ETA: dad also said they are claiming they found metal chips in the oil.

I bet there's chunks of piston in the oil pan as well.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
They owe you a NEW MOTOR, period end of story. They will of course try and weasel out of it but settle for NOTHING LESS! At 80K that motor was just getting broken in.

I work at dealerships.........

Yeah, the changes in dealership and corporate philosophy, two of the three reasons I retired after 47 years in dealer parts department operations.

As I say today, "I had to retire due to a vision problem. Just could not see going to work anymore in that business."

Shovelhead, You know what I mean! The dealership will weasel and worm but in the end after going however many steps up the ladder they broke it and are going to have to fix it. They might find a Salvage Motor or equivalent miles which might be OK but THEY BROKE it and THEY are going to have to fix it!

This!

I had the garage do the oil change on my Hyundai Elantra. They didn't properly tighten the drain plug, short story, the engine blew about 100 miles from home when that drain plug fell out. losing all the oil. The dealer tried to claim that I had done it, but after I reminded them that they had done the oil change, they started to waffle. I have NO patience for that crap and contacted Hyundai USA, complained. Lo and behold within 48 hours I had a new engine.

Don't accept that crap from a dealer, especially if they are in the wrong.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I would start with the visit with your (mechanic) friend first.
Then contact the dealerships General Manager if it appears they aren't being straight about the problem. Be polite but firm.
Next, do a search and find out from GM headquarters where you should go to get in contact with their area/zone service rep.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Tow it across the street, get some window paint, let the community know how they treat customers. Blow up their Facebook page.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Tow it across the street, get some window paint, let the community know how they treat customers. Blow up their Facebook page.

Definitely on the list if they don't want to own up to it.

posted Hide Post
In simple words Fuck those bastards! Charging 20k for a new motor AND 6k to inspect a cylinder head??? Not to mention $500 for new batteries. They are CROOKS trying to rip off your dad. Stand firm, demand a new motor and mention you will be getting an attorney if they don't provide one quickly. They should not be allowed to rip off people this way.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
That’s absolutely INSANE.

I just had my FCA dealer replace the V6 engine in my Cherokee with a brand new out of the crate long block.

The whole ball of wax was a little under $9K. (I got it done under warranty, but their prices are still displayed on the invoice.)

I’d tell them less than politely to go to hell and then find my nearest Jasper dealer. Unless you’re really gonna go after them for the engine damage.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Comparing a v6 gas to a diesel is like comparing a $5 Kmart watch to a Rolex.

Looking over the dealers invoice... they need to change their name to Rip Off Motor Sales. Mad

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The dealership issues aside, the cost of these diesels are much higher than that of gas.

A junkyard pullout is going to be $8,000+

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15728 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The repair estimate is a joke,a bad one!
No way they think anybody would actually pay $30,000 for repairs or any where near that price.
INSULTING!!!!!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I did a copy and paste in my first post where to start. You may get stonewalled by the factory rep at first. At that point it's time to contact GM corporate headquarters. Another way would be to contact the state of Missouri, see pages 15 and 16 of this document:https://ago.mo.gov/docs/default-source/publications/allaboutautos.pdf?sfvrsn=4

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8133 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post