SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Is $20k for a complete engine assembly or a short block and transfer over original heads, exhausts, and accessories?

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Is $20k for a complete engine assembly or a short block and transfer over original heads, exhausts, and accessories?

I'm not really sure. Ill be going there Monday to talk to the service manager. He has a lot of explaining to do.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you talk to the service manager, ask for their garage policy information. File a claim with their insurance, let them figure it out.

That usually helps encourage them to step up and avoid a claim.

If its a proven workmanship issue, their insurance will pay.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Damn I wish you were in GA.
We'd go get an used engine and slap it in for around $3500.
I'd do the swap for a Chic Fil A.

If you guys are close by, I could stop by and help if you would need it.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
A bit off topic, maybe. But everyone wonders why American manufacturers are hated so much. Here's a good example of why. I understand them not wanting to eat that $20,000 charge, but its probably grossly inflated with their profit, too.
Yeah American manufacturers are the only crooks in the auto business.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
A bit off topic, maybe. But everyone wonders why American manufacturers are hated so much. Here's a good example of why. I understand them not wanting to eat that $20,000 charge, but its probably grossly inflated with their profit, too.
Yeah American manufacturers are the only crooks in the auto business.

This isn't a manufacturer problem, it's a dealership problem. Dropping a fastener down the intake isn't good for any vehicle.

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

ETA: Found this on their web site. Same truck as dads only dad's is black on black, has 50k less miles and has factory wheels.

As is 2015 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500HD $43,000

The disclosure on that vehicle would have me running from their place of thievery!

QUOTE (Sorry, they have it capitalized),

**ATTENTION**THIS CAR IS AS-IS THE MINUTE YOU DRIVE OFF THE LOT. THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE WHAT THE COST MAY TO FIX ALL REPAIRS, HOWEVER IT WILL PASS MVI. YOU WILL HAVE TO INCUR THOSE ADDITIONAL COSTS FOR ANY ELECTIVE REPAIRS BEFORE YOU CAN TAKE DELIVERY OF THE CAR. ADDITIONALLY WE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH A CARFAX REPORT AND AUTOCHECK REPORT AS WELL AS An USED CAR CHECKOUT IDENTIFYING SOME POTENTIALLY RECOMMENDED REPAIRS AND/OR MAINTENANCE. FINANCING MAY BE AVAILABLE DEPENDING ON CREDIT WORTHINESS AND LENDER QUALIFICATIONS FOR VEHICLE PERIMETERS. FURTHERMORE PLEASE UNDERSTAND WE MAY NOT FIND 100% OF THE REPAIRS THAT ARE NEEDED AND HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT MAY FAIL IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. WE ARE PUTTING OUR BEST FOOT FORWARD TO PROVIDE OUR CUSTOMERS AN INEXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE FOR TRANSPORTATION. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAILURES ONCE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP AND TAKE POSSESSION OF THE VEHICLE.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The disclaimer on the truck in their lot alone would probably make me run far away from that dealership. That has more red flags than all of my ex girlfriends combined. They are flat out telling you you're gonna get screwed because there is a lot wrong with that truck.

It says it's a local trade in, maybe it would be worthwhile to do some digging and find the previous owner? Perhaps the dealer screwed them over the same way it sounds like they're trying to screw your dad? It probably wouldn't be too hard to find them, and that might be a really interesting conversation.

Edit, after looking again this is a another disclosure on the other truck:

"All current factory rebates assigned to dealer. (Offer includes $2,000 trade assistance, and all applicable manufacturer rebates). Not all customers will qualify for all rebates. Check with your sales consultant to see which available rebates you qualify for. With approved credit through GM Financial. Vehicle may have previously been a courtesy loaner vehicle. Plus $999 McCarthy Assurance. McCarthy trade assistance requires trade of a 2011 or newer vehicle with less than 100,000 miles. Offer may include GM Financial down payment assistance, must finance through GM Financial. Not eligible on cash purchases. $13.89 per $1,000 financed for 72 months, $0 down. Discount off MSRP. Dealer installed options are added to the vehicles price. Administrative fee, license, other applicable state titling fees, and taxes are extra. Not available with special finance, lease and other offers. Offers expire at month end or when manufacture lists their incentives will expire.
MPG estimates on this website are EPA estimates; your actual mileage may vary. For used vehicles, MPG estimates are EPA estimates for the vehicle when it was new. The EPA periodically modifies its MPG calculation methodology; all MPG estimates are based on the methodology in effect when the vehicles were new (please see the Fuel Economy portion of the EPAs website for details, including a MPG recalculation tool).
The features and options listed are for the new 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Built After Aug 14 and may not apply to this specific vehicle."

They are really trying to give it to somebody hard.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
6000 inspection fee screams elder abuse.

This is the path to victory.
Timdogg6, Esq.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er

This isn't a manufacturer problem, it's a dealership problem.

Only to the extent the manufacturer retains them as a dealer. If the comment was aimed at there being foreign crooks, I agree. But we just don't see them as often as the domestic crooks. I hold out hope there may be honest dealers. But then no one complains about them. The game, as I understand it, is to stay clear of the crooked ones. Foreign or domestic. Kind of like politicians, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
So we just got back from the dealer. I feel like we caught the service manager off guard. She acted like she didn't know many details. She agreed that something ended up in the cylinder but had no clue what and swore it wasn't her tech.

She finally agreed to call GM on our behalf to see if they would cover any of this since it only has 80k. I told dad to wait to see what they will do before we get nasty with them.

So now its wait and see.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I don’t see this as a GM problem unless GM is providing liability insurance for the dealership. My guess is she won’t call GM and if she does, the answer from GM will be not my problem

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
She agreed that something ended up in the cylinder but had no clue what and swore it wasn't her tech.

Did you get this in writing, or otherwise recorded?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I don’t see this as a GM problem unless GM is providing liability insurance for the dealership. My guess is she won’t call GM and if she does, the answer from GM will be not my problem

We will see. I told dad to expect the worse.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
So we just got back from the dealer. I feel like we caught the service manager off guard. She acted like she didn't know many details. She agreed that something ended up in the cylinder but had no clue what and swore it wasn't her tech.

Well ma'am, let's do an engineering exercise

1. There was nothing in the cylinder when the vehicle arrived and;
2. Something ended up in the cylinder when your tech was working on it.

So how did your tech not see one of the salesmen sneak by and put that "something" into the cylinder?"

Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Think you are going to go up the chain in the dealership, the remark that "something ended up in the engine", doesn't sit right with me. All leads back to the point that the technician screwed up and management figured that they can convince your dad that it's on his dime.

Maybe the next step is to have a sit down with the General Manager and the Dealer Principal. You may need to contact your state's consumer protection agency together with any licensing or regulatory agency that deals with automotive repairs. Keep going up the chain.

GM rep is going to require a teardown to determine the cause and assess the damage, I seriously doubt that without that he or she is going to authorize a replacement engine, that is just now that works. Once they get inside and if they determine it was not the fault of the product is when it's really going to get interesting.

If they actually call the factory get the case number together with the names, dates and times of contact. I hope to be wrong but I too think you are going to have a fight on your hands.

Changing the subject, in response to an earlier post about the service replacement engine, GM sells what is referred in the trade as a long block. Engine block, all rotating internal parts like crank, camshaft, rods, pistons, etc. Included are tappets, pushrods, cylinder heads. Short blocks have been pretty much phased out at least in the General Motors world.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8137 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I had an oil change done on my car. The dealership did the oil change.

Drove about 120 miles and the engine took a major hit while traveling at 60MPH. Turns out the dealership did not properly tighten the oil drain plug, it fell out and the engine self destructed.

Dealership came up with some nonsense about being my fault. I sent an email to the president of Hyundai USA explaining the issue. A few hours later I got a call from the dealership requesting me to bring in the car so they could replace the engine, at no expense to me. I have found over the years that the customer only needs to put up with so much BS from the dealers. In the case in the original post here, I would strongly suggest contacting the corporate president, explain what happened, and ask for help in resolving the problem.

IOW, cut thru the BS and see that the proper people receive what they deserve. Mad

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Move up the line of communication, the service department is covering their butts, tech made a mistake, the engines toast now they need to make it right...

https://www.chevrolet.com/cont...25=gm_com_contact_us

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The short version, the tech would not have started off on a test drive after "repairs" with the engine rattling and down a cylinder.
If they want to pull the head and see what the part was that ended up inside the engine, that will answer the question of what fell inside. I suspect the tech already knows the answer.

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
She agreed that something ended up in the cylinder but had no clue what and swore it wasn't her tech.

Did you get this in writing, or otherwise recorded?

THIS x 1000!
Record everything, ask for anything they promise in writing. If your state doesn’t allow recording without both parties being notified, tell them you are recording.
If your state doesn’t require this, even better. This is going to be an even bigger shitshow than it already is - cover Dad’s ass for him. This whole dealer charade is beyond disgusting.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post