SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ Look, freaking ALL OF THIS was brought up before 114 was voted on. I didn't see many of these people speaking up then. Certainly not the guy from Eugene.

Some from the rural and South counties spoke out, plus Linn County, but that's it. Now they can join the fight along with the rest of us.

I just hope their fight consists of killing the whole measure, rather than just trying to get LEO exemptions for purchases and mag use/possession.

quote:
Linn County Sheriff Michelle Duncan told Fox News her department is looking to purchase 10-round magazines for deputies to carry when they are off duty.

"We don’t want them potentially getting a charge in another jurisdiction that could risk their police certification and job so we will look at getting them the lower capacity mags for off duty," Duncan wrote in an email.

How totally stupid. Just insane. What, so now when going off duty, the cop has to drop the mag and put in a 10 rd mag. And this accomplishes what?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I say limit them to ten round mags while on duty. If dangerous weapons of war, and high capacity clipazines, have no place on America's streets, then they have no place on America's streets, period.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
^^^ Look, freaking ALL OF THIS was brought up before 114 was voted on. I didn't see many of these people speaking up then. Certainly not the guy from Eugene.

If radioman means me, I say don't jump to conclusions.

Huh? I was referring to the text in the post just above mine........

here is the text
quote:

"It's not clear how existing certified public safety professionals are treated under this ballot measure," Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner told Fox News. "Both the purchase of weapons and the possession of magazines in excess of 10 rounds, which all of our duty weapons have that."

unless you're Chris Skinner, then, no, I was not referring to you.

Skinner is all over the news now, complaining about the impact to LEO's, but TBH, I didn't see him on the news before the vote, telling people not to vote for this mess.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The absurdity of this whole thing is building. Hopefully it will end up in the trash where it belongs.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So these 10 round magazines will be purchased with taxpayer's money, so that the Police can remain compliant.

Everyone says move out of the state, it is ruined. Why don't these idiots just move out of the country! Canada gun laws seem about right for them.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ It doesn't help that the state AG is telling lies and pushing this piece of crap.

The AG says the mag limits will save lives. So, it saves lives to limit EVERYONE including off duty LEO's to 10 rounds???

Kind of wish we would go back to the old days of prosecuting real criminals, and leave the rest of us the hell alone, but those days seem to be gone.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Harney county judge pushes it back another 10 days apparently. From an email I received from Black Flag Armory.

Today, Dec. 13th a second hearing with the Harney County OR Judge took place. During which, a 10 day stay was placed, preventing Oregon Ballot Measure 114 from taking effect until at least Dec 23rd 2022. Another hearing has been scheduled to take place on the 23rd.

http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

"It's not clear how existing certified public safety professionals are treated under this ballot measure," Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner told Fox News. "Both the purchase of weapons and the possession of magazines in excess of 10 rounds, which all of our duty weapons have that."

Wrong - the right answer is that he's oath bound to honor the constitution, these laws infringe upon rights and are contrary to the constitution. These laws will not be enforced in his jurisdiction.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
A buddy dropped by last night to show me what he'd been waiting on for two weeks.
He got a Sig M400 and 320 Xcompact I think.
Gotta say for $800 the M400 is a pretty solid AR for the money.

Not sure how many more are waiting, last I heard was over 30K.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
From an email I received yesterday. I’ve exchanged emails with this Oregon House of Representatives member and I’ve heard him talk in person. He has a good head on his shoulder. Should be more like him in political office.

https://www.oregonlegislature....Unconstitutional.pdf

Harney County Judge Raschio Grants Plaintiff's Request for Temporary Restraining Order on Measure 114
Plaintiffs Joseph Arnold, Cliff Asmussen, Gun Owners of America and Gun Owners Foundation; with their attorney Tyler Smith & Associates, filed ORC79 Motion for Temporary Restraining Order and Order to Show Cause Why Preliminary Injunction Should Not Enter. Last week, Harney County Judge Raschio granted their motion. (Click Here for article).
The case resumed today in Harney County. Judge Raschio has extended the temporary restraining order on permit to purchase. Please see my letter below to Judge Raschio in support of the plaintiff’s arguments in stopping the implementation of Ballot Measure 114 as it is unconstitutional.

December 11, 2022
Honorable Harney County Judge Raschio,
On behalf of the overwhelming majority of my constituents and those of thirty of Oregon’s thirty six counties, I am grateful for your order to grant a temporary restraining order and order to show cause why preliminary injunction should not enter regarding implementation of Ballot Measure 114 (BM 114) filed by plaintiffs Joseph Arnold, Cliff Asmussen, Gun Owners of America and Gun Owners Foundation. Ballot Measure 114’s “permit to purchase” by a law-abiding person before purchasing a firearm and the prohibition of possessing a standard capacity firearm magazine, banning the “manufacture, importation, possession, use, purchase or other transfer” of a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds of ammunition, violate Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution as well as the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.
The Oregon Supreme Court has previously held that Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution prevents the infringement of an Oregonian’s individual right to purchase and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense. Earlier this year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol Ass’n v. Bruen; noting “any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends” and opened the door to challenges to “shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times for processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry”. BM 114 violates the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States and Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution by clearly going farther than contemplated in Bruen with the right of a citizen to public carry, and abusing this fundamental right and infringing upon a law abiding Oregonian’s right to merely purchase a firearm.
The Oregon Supreme Court and U.S. Supreme Court have denied the infringement of an Oregonian’s individual right to purchase and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense, which includes a firearm accessory that comes standard with the firearm. BM 114’s prohibition of possessing a standard capacity firearm magazine, banning the “manufacture, importation, possession, use, purchase or other transfer” of a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds of ammunition, equally violates Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution as well as the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. As the plaintiffs argue, firearm capacity to shoot more than ten rounds has existed since the 16th century. Merriwether Lewis carried such a firearm that had the capability of a 20 or 22 round magazine. Notwithstanding the extensive additional arguments included, it is clear that the founding fathers and the drafters of Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution were very aware of the emerging technology of increased magazine capacity when drafting and ratifying. Therefore BM 114 violates the Oregon Constitution and the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.
As argued by the plaintiffs, BM 114’s abusive infringement of a law abiding Oregonians’ right to purchase and possess a firearm and its standard equipment is a violation of the Oregon and U.S. Constitution. I support the plaintiff’s arguments and as this issue moves forward, encourage the court to grant the requested preliminary injunction against this abusive and unconstitutional gun control measure and ultimately the end of any implementation of its provisions that in doing so, would irreparably harm the rights of every Oregonian.
Respectfully,
David Brock Smith
Oregon House of Representatives

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
Sportsman's Warehouse has created a Measure 114 update page -

http://d.sportsmans.com/q/mAlE...0fqLgUXEHopYhXCjGpfw

As of yesterday, a ruling on magazines is expected this Friday and an additional court hearing is scheduled for Friday December 23, 2022 concerning the 'Permit to Purchase' requirement.

Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I got an email today from the class 3 dealer in Hillsboro where I've bought my cans, with an announcement dated today that a Harney County judge issued a preliminary injunction against the magazine ban.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

It would appear that is correct.

https://oregoncapitalchronicle...arms-magazine-sales/

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Article just posted on Zero Hedge says bill is blocked

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Well done GOA!

It was enough for me to become a member again. Not been a GOA member for a long time, but I am now Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Article just posted on Zero Hedge says bill is blocked

Until all policy, procedure, training facilities, trainers, et al are in place the permit to purchase part of 114 is blocked.

The magazine capacity is blocked.

Friday 23 December will be a hearing on the "Charlston Loophole" aka an FFL following federal law and releasing a firearm to the buyer after three business days if nothing has come back from the background check.

The comments from the judge in his ruling weren't favorable to the state trying to remove our inalienable rights.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Circuit court page for anyone interesting in listening in to the hearing. WebEX link. Disclaimer it's like the audio version of watching paint dry but the last hearing did provide an interesting set of history lessons.

This is the general page, not just for 23-Dec hearing. Meaning bookmark it so you can easily get to future hearings as well.

https://www.courts.oregon.gov/...t/Pages/default.aspx

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Here is a link from an email I got from the Oregon Firearms Federation yesterday. Not much of an update, but it’s something.

https://www.oregonfirearms.org...t-for-endless-delays

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Just in: Judge declined to remove the background checks requirement from the restraining order that was already put in place. Will revisit later.

This is a win. A small win, but a win.

The state (Atty General to be exact) really needs to drop this and stop wasting our fucking money trying to defend this dumpster fire of a measure. Just stop. There is plenty of crime for the Atty General to pursue and wasting time on this measure isn't a good use of state resources. If it were her own money she sure as hell wouldn't be doing this.

By the way, Gun Owners Foundation went from not even being on my radar to me being a full member plus kicking in a little extra for the fight. Good on them, and thank you Gun Owners Foundation, you guys are the best.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I say limit them to ten round mags while on duty. If dangerous weapons of war, and high capacity clipazines, have no place on America's streets, then they have no place on America's streets, period.

I have to agree. If the state is going to pass and enforce asinine laws, they need to follow them, themselves. I say they attempt to enforce them on the feds also. Should be entertaining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post