SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect Login/Join 
Member
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I talked to the owner of the LGS here and he is not a happy camper. I’ve known him since he was a kid working at his fathers store. He’s in his 60's now and I don’t think I’ve heard him like this. He didn’t really want to talk about it, but uttered a few colorful words on the subject. He thinks I still have time to get a G26, so I went ahead and ordered one. As of when I talked to him this morning, there was 4,000 CCW holders in line for the background check. I’ve been procrastinating on a G26 for a long time and now I wish I’d gone ahead and done it years ago. Planning on trading my G43 for it. Holding my breath that it can all be accomplished in the next 2 weeks and 2 days. This is like a bad nightmare.


---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
 
Posts: 2460 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I talked to the owner of the LGS here and he is not a happy camper. I’ve known him since he was a kid working at his fathers store. He’s in his 60's now and I don’t think I’ve heard him like this. He didn’t really want to talk about it, but uttered a few colorful words on the subject. He thinks I still have time to get a G26, so I went ahead and ordered one. As of when I talked to him this morning, there was 4,000 CCW holders in line for the background check. I’ve been procrastinating on a G26 for a long time and now I wish I’d gone ahead and done it years ago. Planning on trading my G43 for it. Holding my breath that it can all be accomplished in the next 2 weeks and 2 days. This is like a bad nightmare.


at this point I'd be asking your LGS if they are following the 3 day rule though 12/7. According to SOS the updated for 114 laws go into effect 12/8. We're of course still hoping a judge puts that on hold.

"Both state and federal laws provide that the gun dealer may deliver the firearm to the
purchaser after a defined period (approximately three business days), if OSP does not provide
notice that the purchaser has been approved or denied."
source: https://www.oregon.gov/osp/pro...0Unit%20Overview.pdf


As it was explained to me, three full business days must elapse after your check is entered into the FICS system. So basically you walk in day one do the paperwork and in the queue, days 2,3,4 are the business days, and day 5 you can pick up your weapon assuming you're still in the queue and no adverse reports back. The key here is business days are weekdays not including holidays. Obviously the check will eventually complete, so it's in your best interest to be confident you'll pass the check, lest there be a visit later asking for the weapon and maybe you along with it. Not sure how that all works, never want to find out either.

normal checks (non-CHL) were over 20,000 in pending today, so they are not expected to clear before 12/8.
 
Posts: 26 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jxb:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I talked to the owner of the LGS here and he is not a happy camper. I’ve known him since he was a kid working at his fathers store. He’s in his 60's now and I don’t think I’ve heard him like this. He didn’t really want to talk about it, but uttered a few colorful words on the subject. He thinks I still have time to get a G26, so I went ahead and ordered one. As of when I talked to him this morning, there was 4,000 CCW holders in line for the background check. I’ve been procrastinating on a G26 for a long time and now I wish I’d gone ahead and done it years ago. Planning on trading my G43 for it. Holding my breath that it can all be accomplished in the next 2 weeks and 2 days. This is like a bad nightmare.


at this point I'd be asking your LGS if they are following the 3 day rule though 12/7. According to SOS the updated for 114 laws go into effect 12/8. We're of course still hoping a judge puts that on hold.

"Both state and federal laws provide that the gun dealer may deliver the firearm to the
purchaser after a defined period (approximately three business days), if OSP does not provide
notice that the purchaser has been approved or denied."
source: https://www.oregon.gov/osp/pro...0Unit%20Overview.pdf


As it was explained to me, three full business days must elapse after your check is entered into the FICS system. So basically you walk in day one do the paperwork and in the queue, days 2,3,4 are the business days, and day 5 you can pick up your weapon assuming you're still in the queue and no adverse reports back. The key here is business days are weekdays not including holidays. Obviously the check will eventually complete, so it's in your best interest to be confident you'll pass the check, lest there be a visit later asking for the weapon and maybe you along with it. Not sure how that all works, never want to find out either.

normal checks (non-CHL) were over 20,000 in pending today, so they are not expected to clear before 12/8.


I didn’t think of asking that question, but I’m assuming that he will. He should have the gun in 3 days, maybe 4 because of Thanksgiving and that gives 11 days from the paperwork to December 7. I just hope he still wants my G43 in view of the current situation. My CCW should help with the wait time.... I hope.


---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
 
Posts: 2460 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jxb:
We've got a very small portion of the state now controlling everything because they have the vote count to do it.


Similar to CA. Geographically by land mass, most of the state is red, but the large cities and coastal areas are heavily populated to give Democrats a huge advantage, usually a 60-65% edge. Hillary Clinton pounded Trump in CA with a 62% - 31% win.



"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 14827 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jxb:
Agreed, sadly the liberals now have enough votes to pass not only this but a new Governor that doesn't reflect the values of many throughout the state. We've got a very small portion of the state now controlling everything because they have the vote count to do it.


Sadly, I don't think it likely you will change anything by staying.

Decades ago I lived in upstate NY. The real upstate, not the barely north of the city faux upstate. The entire state was controlled by big city politics. Our taxes were huge, regulations strict, but no money came back to us for roads or other services.

Businesses fled. People fled. Towns that were once prosperous are dead.

There are many great aspects to rural upstate. As you describe your state, there are so many great reasons to be there.

But you can't fight the trend. Oregon is not going to become what it was. It is not going to turn conservative Constitutionalist. The reality is it is now controlled by a few urbanized counties.

Look to NY from 1970 to today to see what is in store for other states like yours.
 
Posts: 8402 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It might be nice if counties could enact sanctions and embargoes. This balance of power is not right. Cities should not dictate rural ways of life. Something needs to change. A majority does not make something right.




"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 11470 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a state run Electoral College could be a possibility. If that was the case, this measure would have failed miserably. I can dream, can’t I?

I think 72% of this county voted against Measure 114 as did the majority of the counties in this state, and now, yet another Donkey Governor in Salem. Grrrrr

What happened to that predicted red wave? Did it cause pro gun voters to relax and not vote??


---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
 
Posts: 2460 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
I purchased a Sig P365 ~4 months ago. I have a carry permit. The background check took 5 minutes. I was good to go with it.

I purchased another P365 on-line on Monday. I went to the LGS on Tuesday and it was packed. I stood in line for 25 minutes just to fill out the 1473. Got in another 5 minute line for the person to actually type in the BG request. After she was done typing she told my that I'm ~2000th in line waiting for the BG check to be approved. Mad

Folks were in there buying multiple guns and handfuls of 30-rd Mags.
Thanks Oregon communists.


UPDATE: It took 4 days to get my BG clearance approved. (2000 folks ahead of me). I took the gun home today.
 
Posts: 414 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well perhaps it is a sign from God to move. With the Antifa riots,far left politicians and bottle deposit laws what is stopping you.


I'll pass at the moment. This thing barely passed, even with the shit hole of Multnomah county leading the way. The whole of Oregon is not Multnomah county.
No doubt why a significant number of counties are trying to secede from Oregon and become part of Idaho.

flashguy


Yes, I was born and raised in Idaho. Left there many years ago. Still have family there. Seems like a very large number of people in eastern Oregon and Washington have been working to secede from those states for some time. They want to become West Idaho. Basically, everything east of the mountains would become part of Idaho.


Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!



The Idaho Elk Hunter
 
Posts: 25605 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is a catch 22. This would probably require a state constitutional amendment. In most states this requires a referendum, which would be one citizen one vote. How's that going to work in a state where most of the voters live in the cities, and would NOT want that change?

quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I wonder if a state run Electoral College could be a possibility. If that was the case, this measure would have failed miserably. I can dream, can’t I?

I think 72% of this county voted against Measure 114 as did the majority of the counties in this state, and now, yet another Donkey Governor in Salem. Grrrrr

What happened to that predicted red wave? Did it cause pro gun voters to relax and not vote??
 
Posts: 21036 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Just Ordered some mags that I've needed for a while. Didn't get around to ordering them until now.

But I also plan to donate to whatever group is fighting 114. Not the NRA. They have been ASLEEP on this one, which I find very sad.


----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
 
Posts: 10118 | Location: Salem. No, not that Salem.  | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm confused about the normal-capacity magazine issue. I read in one source that 114 prohibited the POSSESSION of magazines of >10 rounds. If that is the case, why are people rushing to buy them?
I'd appreciate a clarification, as someone I know is holding some magazines I can't have (for now) in CA.


_________________________
“Few trends could so thoroughly undermine the very foundations of our free society as the acceptance by corporate officials of a social responsibility other than to make as much money for their shareholders as possible." -- Milton Friedman
 
Posts: 17199 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:


But I also plan to donate to whatever group is fighting 114. Not the NRA.


I have found it comical that people have jumped on the “Not one more cent” bandwagon of defunding the NRA, and in the same breath they get upset because the NRA “has been asleep” and other garbage talking points because they don’t have the funding necessary to do what the NRA does. (Insert Obligatory comments about LaPierres wardrobe or their CNN talking points)

It is just like Portland defunding the police, and then getting upset that the police are no longer around and crime going through the roof. It doesn’t really take a rocket surgeon to find who to blame on this.....

Yes, defunding the NRA has worked out so well for the folks of Oregon that the obvious answer is to double down and expect a different result.




www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"



 
Posts: 36194 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Measure 114 is a de-facto ban on pistols with the capability of accepting magazines of more than a permanent capacity of 10 rounds or less. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-zK1WOe5cE


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3511 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm confused about the normal-capacity magazine issue. I read in one source that 114 prohibited the POSSESSION of magazines of >10 rounds. If that is the case, why are people rushing to buy them?
I'd appreciate a clarification, as someone I know is holding some magazines I can't have (for now) in CA.


Some of us are going to be physically challenging this measure by carrying the magazines that are going to be made illegal to carry in public.

Also I don't want to have to drive three or more hours to Idaho in order to buy 20 round magazines for an M1a or an AR-15.

If it comes down to armed resistance against our government one should have the tools in order to resist.


__________________________
More blessed than I deserve.
http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/f238091154
 
Posts: 3511 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm confused about the normal-capacity magazine issue. I read in one source that 114 prohibited the POSSESSION of magazines of >10 rounds. If that is the case, why are people rushing to buy them?
I'd appreciate a clarification, as someone I know is holding some magazines I can't have (for now) in CA.


The text of Prop 114 is 12 pages long, a really convoluted piece of legislation. But the magazine section states the sale, manufacturing, importation, use, purchase, or sale is banned. But language in the law states that one can possess and use mags purchased before the ban date on their property and at gun ranges, competitions, etc. This section is written poorly, banning possession, but then vaguely outlines allowed circumstances.



"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 14827 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yes, defunding the NRA has worked out so well for the folks of Oregon that the obvious answer is to double down and expect a different result.


Preach it, Brother!
How many other gun rights organizations are constantly attacked by our enemies?




7/93
 
Posts: 46143 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well perhaps it is a sign from God to move.


Boy, where have I heard THAT before Roll Eyes

First you move from CA to OR, then OR turns to shit so then you move from OR to NV? Then what? At some point you're gonna run out of places to move if your solution is to keep running from the problem.
 
Posts: 10783 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the NRA being effective in the last several years, and I don't know that it has been involved in any of the major pro-2A precedent setting cases. Heller and McDonald were driven by the Second Amendment Foundation. NYSRPA vs Bruen was driven by, well NYSRPA (NY State Rifle and Pistol Association.) As far as I'm concerned the NRA has been asleep at the switch for years under Wayne Lapierre's watch. So withholding funding from it is appropriate. Other organizations have been doing the heavy lifting lately. That's where the money should go.


quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:


But I also plan to donate to whatever group is fighting 114. Not the NRA.


I have found it comical that people have jumped on the “Not one more cent” bandwagon of defunding the NRA, and in the same breath they get upset because the NRA “has been asleep” and other garbage talking points because they don’t have the funding necessary to do what the NRA does. (Insert Obligatory comments about LaPierres wardrobe or their CNN talking points)

It is just like Portland defunding the police, and then getting upset that the police are no longer around and crime going through the roof. It doesn’t really take a rocket surgeon to find who to blame on this.....

Yes, defunding the NRA has worked out so well for the folks of Oregon that the obvious answer is to double down and expect a different result.
 
Posts: 21036 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

But I also plan to donate to whatever group is fighting 114. Not the NRA. They have been ASLEEP on this one, which I find very sad.


The FPC has already sent out emails stating that they will be suing measure 114. https://www.firearmspolicy.org/The


---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
 
Posts: 2460 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect

© SIGforum 2022