SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon - Prop 114: gun buyers already feeling the effect Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
For our non-Oregon members, voters in our fucked up state just passed a law that now makes Oregon one of the most restrictive gun control states in the country and I got to experience the effects of this today at Sportsmans Warehouse:

Got there before they opened at 8a but there was already about 30-odd people standing in line outside the store, with more waiting in their vehicles.

Got to the gun counter and took a number, I was #26

My number didn't get called until around 11:50a, so basically waited almost 4 hours before I could even talk to an employee.

Told them what I wanted to buy, filled out the required info and then got told that the background check might take another week to get processed. *they told me that the regular background check queue was over 18,000 but since I have a concealed permit, my background check would be going through the concealed permit queue which was at 4,400!

Interestingly, because December 7th is the deadline to buy firearms before the restrictions are enacted, they had me pay for the gun minus $0.01 so that it qualified as a layaway purchase.

Why are they processing these firearms purchases as layaway, you ask? Well apparently, if your background check does not get processed by December 8th, your order will get canceled, you'll get refunded your money but you will not be able to purchase a firearm in the near future until the provisions of the law get sorted out and legal challenges (this may mean months or even a year); so putting the firearm on layaway was a way for the store to allow the firearms buyer to be given an additional 29 days for the background check to be ran, instead of a hard stop on Dec. 8th.

As it stands, since the purchase-permit system has not been implemented, after December 7th, there is no legal way a person will be able purchase a firearm in Oregon.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
As it stands, since the purchase-permit system has not been implemented, after December 7th, there is no legal way a person will be able purchase a firearm in Oregon.

THAT right there sounds like a violation to that 'pesky' Second Amendment of the US Constitution! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Sounds like time to get a good lawyer… Be willing to go to the Supreme Court

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well perhaps it is a sign from God to move. With the Antifa riots,far left politicians and bottle deposit laws what is stopping you.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Oh, the legal challenges are coming. This thing was so poorly written it's ridiculous.

As written, it puts a further $40 million burden on local law enforcement for this thing to "work" as advertised. There's no plan for where or how to get that money.

To me, the background check before the background check doesn't pass the Bruen smell test either.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6082 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well perhaps it is a sign from God to move. With the Antifa riots,far left politicians and bottle deposit laws what is stopping you.

I'll pass at the moment. This thing barely passed, even with the shit hole of Multnomah county leading the way. The whole of Oregon is not Multnomah county.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6082 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

And not being allowed to pump your own gas.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea. I passed on living there several decades ago. It was before all that shit in Portland and far leftist agenda. It is a beautiful state and I hope to see it beautiful again.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

THAT right there sounds like a violation to that 'pesky' Second Amendment of the US Constitution! Roll Eyes

OP, mind telling us what exactly that means? What do you mean, "there is no legal way a person will be able purchase a firearm in Oregon" after Dec 7th? You kept saying "restrictions", but what exactly is the law? As nhracecraft says, this so-called state law, whatever it is, ain't go to stand.

Ok, just check Wiki, and it says,
quote:
Oregon Ballot Measure 114, the Changes to Firearm Ownership and Purchase Requirements Initiative, is an Oregon state initiative that passed in 2022.[1] It changes gun laws in Oregon to require passing a background check, obtain safety training, and a permit before purchasing a gun, as well as implementing a high-capacity magazine ban.[2]

If this is correct, it is extremely restrictive, yes, but "no legal way" to purchase a firearm in OR? Confused

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I think, if I'm parsing the OP's post correctly, he means that the timeframe from December 7 until that crap show of a system is implemented (or overturned), there is no legal way to purchase a firearm. Because it won't be off the ground before December 7.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It it’s anything like Washington state, they passed a law requiring background checks of a type that they have no system in place to actually perform. When will that system be in place? Eventually, dependent on government funding, bureaucracy etc.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

OP, mind telling us what exactly that means? What do you mean, "there is no legal way a person will be able purchase a firearm in Oregon" after Dec 7th? You kept saying "restrictions", but what exactly is the law? As nhracecraft says, this so-called state law, whatever it is, ain't go to stand.

Ok, just check Wiki, and it says,
quote:
Oregon Ballot Measure 114, the Changes to Firearm Ownership and Purchase Requirements Initiative, is an Oregon state initiative that passed in 2022.[1] It changes gun laws in Oregon to require passing a background check, obtain safety training, and a permit before purchasing a gun, as well as implementing a high-capacity magazine ban.[2]

If this is correct, it is extremely restrictive, yes, but "no legal way" to purchase a firearm in OR? Confused

The last paragraph of the OP said,

“As it stands, since the purchase-permit system has not been implemented, after December 7th, there is no legal way a person will be able purchase a firearm in Oregon.”

If the law requires you to have a purchase permit to buy a gun and the government has no purchase permit system setup, I’m not sure how one would get the required permit to legal purchase a gun.

Sure, any sane person would say, “The government has failed to do their job and either a) This law is null and void until some defined period of time *after* the government has established the permit system and worked the kinks out of it; For the purposes of this law, ever person who was legally allowed to own a gun (or would have been if they were as old as they are now) is automatically presumed to have such a permit until some defined period of time after the government has established the permit system and worked out the kinks in it; or (my personal favorite) This law is a crock, it stinketh, and it is null and void Period/Full stop.” It remains to be seem what a judge will come up with.

For some defined period of time, forever/never might be best, but one year might not be totally unreasonable.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I think, if I'm parsing the OP's post correctly, he means that the timeframe from December 7 until that crap show of a system is implemented (or overturned), there is no legal way to purchase a firearm. Because it won't be off the ground before December 7.

Correct. None of the infrastructure for this measure is anywhere near in place. There's no way to fulfill the requirements to buy a gun.

I have to believe that this will lead to this measure being held up until the infrastructure is in place. That will take a good long while, and I hope that it will be legally challenged by then.

But, until then, we're stuck in a limbo with no clear direction. Ballot measures here tend to come with unintended consequences. People think they're doing "the right thing", but don't take the time to think through the root cause of the problem, or the second and third order effects of the solution.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Sig P365 ~4 months ago. I have a carry permit. The background check took 5 minutes. I was good to go with it.

I purchased another P365 on-line on Monday. I went to the LGS on Tuesday and it was packed. I stood in line for 25 minutes just to fill out the 1473. Got in another 5 minute line for the person to actually type in the BG request. After she was done typing she told my that I'm ~2000th in line waiting for the BG check to be approved. Mad

Folks were in there buying multiple guns and handfuls of 30-rd Mags.
Thanks Oregon communists.

Posts: 516 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Sounds like time to move to a state liberals haven’t ruined.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^True, but somebody's got to stay and fight!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Good on PSA:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Good on PSA:

Well shit, I guess I'll have to make an order.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Been expecting them to pass one for a while now. Tyrants. Said it for years Oregon is the front line, and Jackson County for 1 won't have any of this bullshit. Sheriff is too busy doing real stuff to enforce this crap. Hurts the dealers and buyers with this legislation, should it be allowed to stand.

Regular folks in Oregon need to make their life a living hell over this. Passed with 7 counties. Oregon is the place where this can be fought back. The blue haired commies that passed this probably used fraud too. The state has no one to enforce this nonsense and the entire place is bankrupt from idiocy. It needs to be destroyed in court, if even make it that far.

FPC, OFF and others are on the case already. But I'd like to see masses of good guys, which are legion there forcing this down. Either way, do not comply as much as possible. Nicest way I can put it.

Nothing would make me happier than to see a large collection of blue scalps pinned up like coyote pelts. FUC&!NG Traitors. Communism aint welcome.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

From what I understand, with the way the law is written, you will need to pass a safety course to get the permit to buy the gun, but you first need the gun to get the permit. Therefore, there’s no way to legally get either.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post