SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Denver Could Decriminalize Magic Mushrooms on Tuesday
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Denver Could Decriminalize Magic Mushrooms on Tuesday Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
How cute. You're arguing for what you wanna see while saying I'm arguing for what I wanna see and calling me a hypocrite when I never said that about you.

And the beat goes on...

Honestly, I could give a fuck whether people do shrooms or not. The truth is, it's a lot less of an issue than anyone wholly opposed to it is willing to put the time into it realizes. But keep pumping out them convincing paragraphs. I mean, you get paid either way, right? Enforcement or tax collection? Wasn't that your schtick about legalized weed some years back?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If you don’t believe in freedom to put whatever you want in your body, why do you want to legalize mushrooms?

At the bare minimum, I find it intellectually dishonest to conflate shit that grows naturally in the ground, on its own, with synthesized anything that requires some chemical science to happen. There's a difference there, yes or no, sir?

Either you believe in freedom or you do not. I’m sorry you find that simple premise to be intellectually dishonest. Dope seems to be a pretty emotionally charged issue for you. I’ll leave you to your rants that if it grows it’s good, if it doesn’t grow the government needs to nanny you.

And speaking of history, you were preaching that if MJ were legalized, the cartels would go out of business because the government would be cheaper. How well did that work out for you? And are the cops out of business or are they going after tax evading doers? Spooky, I know. Oh and I know it doesn’t matter to you, but what I said back in the day was DOPE COPS will always have a job enforcing untaxed dope. I will always have a job because these swell guys that you can’t see doing anything but but having a prayer vigil always seem to have stolen property on them. Again, spooky.

I ll leave you to it.

All we need is a few more “dope cops” & we will win the War on Drugs any day now.

All those decades of locking up people, seizing assets, warrentless searches, & trampling the 4th Amendment are about to pay off. We will win the war by locking up millions of people.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will be harder to ban and control than pot. Probably easier to control dandelions.

Several years ago a coworker on a major metro Detroit corporate campus pointed out some interesting plants growing in the flowerbeds after some rain.. She was shocked when I told her they were magic mushrooms. Must have been the compost the landscaping company was using. Since I've seen them in friends yards, municipal green spaces, parks, etc.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
There is growing evidence that psilocybin provides various medical benefits. The door needs to be opened for it to be studied properly. I see this as a good first step.

As a Denver resident, and someone who has lost count the number of occasions I've taken mushrooms, I do not see this as a public health hazard. It's not going to open retail shops where anybody can go purchase, eat them, and start driving around town while tripping. Just like the legalization of weed hasn't resulted in any meaningful public safety hazard.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Good. If we treat people like adults, it's their responsibility what they put in their body.

Don't be some nanny state, big government asshole, you know like a democrat.

Legalize everything, but with that comes a non-revokable "DNR" if you have anything beyond pot in your system.

Cuz, freedom is freedom. I shouldn't have to pay for ODs and medical treatment for people who don't care about their own well being.

Their so responsible to put shit into their bodies, they can be responsible for what comes afterwards. You know, like take care of themselves too. Freedom and all.

No more nanny state, no more help. OD, you die.

I think this is the correct approach. With freedom, comes responsibility.

Where is that line, though?

Don't wear seatbelts, and they bring you into the ER?

Drive car at 85mph into ditch - no ER for you either?

Ten pounds overweight - no CPR for you pal!

I am completely in favor of legalizing mushrooms, by the way. It just isn't a public health risk worth infringing on freedom.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not going to open retail shops where anybody can go purchase, eat them, and start driving around town while tripping.

Why wouldn't it? If its legal why wouldn't it be sold in retail shops? I'm sure the weed shops would be happy to sell it, and if you want them, where would you go to get them, a retail store or some guy in an alley?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
It's not going to open retail shops where anybody can go purchase, eat them, and start driving around town while tripping. Just like the legalization of weed hasn't resulted in any meaningful public safety hazard.

Bullshit

Posts: 9978 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
If I'm correct in my understanding here, the vote is to decriminalize not legalize. I don't think they could make it available in any of their dispensaries for OTC sales. It wouldn't however prevent them from purchasing it illegally someplace and using it. I'd guess that other than violating other laws, like disorderly conduct, accidents etc, I can't see LEO's in Colorado actively pursuing mushroom users to slap fines or any penalties on them. I think it would be a lower priority for them, I could be wrong though.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I would guess this is really a tempest in a teapot. Hallucinogens aren't that commonly used, and mushrooms have to be a small fraction of that small total.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
It's not going to open retail shops where anybody can go purchase, eat them, and start driving around town while tripping.

Why wouldn't it? If its legal why wouldn't it be sold in retail shops? I'm sure the weed shops would be happy to sell it, and if you want them, where would you go to get them, a retail store or some guy in an alley?

Just because it's decriminalized doesn't mean it's open season. the local government still has control over if/how it's grown and sold. It could be as simple as you cannot grow it, nor can you sell it. But if you are found to be in possession, it's not a crime. Or, it could turn out that it can only be sold for certain purposes. Like weed was only medical at first.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Right to Survive" and Magic Mushrooms shot down by voters

In the Denver election, two citizen initiated ordinances also decided whether to repeal the Denver public camping ban, passed in 2012, and whether to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms. In early voting, results showed that both initiatives were being shot down by voters.

Votes against Initiative 300 the "Right to Survive," were counted at 80,844 while "yes" votes were only tallied at 14,916.

Voters also showed an early thumbs-down for the decriminalizing of "magic mushrooms" in intiated ordinance 301. "No" votes were 51,285 in early counts, while "yes" votes were 42,703.

https://patch.com/colorado/den...19-voters-head-polls

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, "right to survive" was to lift the ban on camping in public parks by homeless people.

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Whew. That was close. Now no one will be doing any shrooms in Colorado. What a relief.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
Whew. That was close. Now no one will be doing any shrooms in Colorado. What a relief.

Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Whoops, celebrated too early.

LINK REMOVED, TOO MANY ADVERTS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

'Shrooms are legal!
Drifting -- I did not understand why the linked article took so long to load until I looked at my ad blocker and saw that it had trapped 82(!) ads.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

'Shrooms are legal!
Drifting -- I did not understand why the linked article took so long to load until I looked at my ad blocker and saw that it had trapped 82(!) ads.

That's probably the only way CNN can make money!

Here's the link from Fox News: FOX NEWS Linky

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

'Shrooms are legal!

That's probably the only way CNN can make money!

Here's the link from Fox News: FOX NEWS Linky

Even that link was bombed by ads, at least on my MacBook. I'm understanding that Denver did in fact decriminalize mushrooms then?

If so, I'm with jhe888. I just can't get on board with the use of hallucinogens or mushrooms in general. Way back in my youth I tried out of curiosity the use of both, wasn't much in them that would interest me in furthering the usage. It was after all the late 60's and early 70's and out of most of the folks I knew at that time "test drove" stuff, it was a culture of experimenting. Nothing to get stuck on and most everyone moved on.

Regards, Will G.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just can't get on board with the use of hallucinogens or mushrooms in general.

Even if they helped you with a disorder, such as PTSD, depression or anxiety? Even if they helped you come to terms with a terminal illness?

I think it's important to distinguish between recreational use, and a real medical benefit. There is anecdotal evidence of such benefit, and yes, more research is needed.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The ballot measure to decriminalize in Denver passed, 89,320 if favor, 87,341 against.

https://www.9news.com/article/...0e-9e35-48ad61b1f27d

(emphasis mine)

In close race, Denver becomes first city in the U.S. to decriminalize ‘magic mushrooms’
Denver will become the first city in the country to decriminalize the use of so-called "magic mushrooms".

DENVER — The city of Denver has become the first city in the country to decriminalize the possession and use of psilocybin mushrooms for adults who are at least 21 years old.

This does not legalize the use of magic mushrooms, but it makes it the least priority for Denver Police.

The mayor's office released a statement about its passage Thursday morning.

“Mayor Hancock respects the decision of the voters and the Denver Police Department will enforce the law accordingly,” the statement reads.

When the first results were posted by Denver Elections at 7 p.m., Initiative 301 was losing 55% to 45%

Denver updated the results every 90 minutes, stopping at 1 a.m. As we went to bed, it was still losing 52% to 48%.

As of late Tuesday night, Political Analyst Floyd Circuli had projected the race in favor of Initiative 301’s opposition, prompting 9NEWS to call it as a fail.

Between 1 a.m. and Wednesday afternoon when Denver Elections finished counting another 40,000 votes for 301, the initiative had passed with 50.6%. With 176,661 votes, it passed 89,320 to 87,341. That margin is 1,979.

This is outside the automatic recount margin which is half of one percent.

If you don't think every vote counts, 8,410 people turned in their ballots without voting on this issue.

The measure will “deprioritize to the greatest extent possible” charging people for taking mushrooms, which are considered a hallucinogenic drug. It also prohibits Denver police from using any resources to prosecute users.

Supporters have said psilocybin is a medicine and that people should not be jailed for using it.

If caught, a user could have faced a year in prison. With that being said, of the 9,267 drug cases filed by the Denver District Attorney’s Office between 2016 and 2018, only 11 involved psilocybin.

Denver District Attorney Beth McCann was just one of Denver's leaders opposed to decriminalizing psilocybin in the city. She said she worried about psilocybin becoming a problem because it’s not much of one now.

Initiative 301 does not allow for the retail sale of mushrooms in the city.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Initiative 301 does not allow for the retail sale of mushrooms in the city.

Yet...slippery slope and all.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post