SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Avocado toast for adults (was breakfast, not dinner though).

First attempt, I over cooked them and the yoke wasn't runny, next time I will bake a few minutes less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20802 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Taco Monday!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20802 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There's a batch of red beans and rice with andouille sausage and chicken on the stove, even as we speak.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30631 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nothing too special. But discovered something.

I made some rolled, blanched spinach - basically blanched spinach bunches, grouped and rolled tightly then cut into 1" tall cylinders. Topped with a ground sesame based sauce.

But what I discovered: around here, most spinach bunches are sold w/ the root end cut off. But Korean TV indicated that the root, especially for winter spinach, is very sweet and tasty. Took some doing but I found a source for spinach w/ the roots still attached. I cleaned and rinsed the spinach well but kept the roots intact.

After blanching and rolling, I cut off the roots (1" tall by 1" diameter cylinders). My, the roots are indeed tasty and sweet.

Never knew that. Am I the only one? I will from now look for spinach w/ the roots intact.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12711 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Neighbor picked up some Argentine Red Shrimp on her grocery run for me. Jumbo sized that cook quicker than regular shrimp and are said to be much sweeter tasting like lobster. Hope to find out within the next week. Big Grin

If anyone already has experience with these, weigh in! Razz

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sounds and looks yummy! Maybe similar to spotted prawns? Will you brine and grill over high heat? Or how you gonna cook them? Sounds great!

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12711 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sounds and looks yummy! Maybe similar to spotted prawns? Will you brine and grill over high heat? Or how you gonna cook them? Sounds great!

The plan at this stage which is why I'm soliciting experiences:
Defrosted and prepped with some lemon. Pan fried at med-high heat with shells on in butter and EVOO. 3 minutes per side is all it is said to take.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You’ve got a lot. Butter sounds good. If you have a toaster oven, perhaps try this with a few:

1) thaw, de-vein, de-shell. Make a few shallow cuts on belly side along the length and press top down (feel the crunch) to keep the shrimp from curling when cooking.
2) brine in sugar salt water for 30 min
3) pre-heat oven on broil with oven cooking sheet
4) thinly coat shrimp in evoo
5) place shrimp on oven cooking sheet
6) broil until done (should be quick)
7) nom nom

Very simple with nothing masking the good natural taste.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks konata88! Interesting... never did shrimp in the oven before. And the anti-curling tip. Wink
Mmmm....

Not planning on doing them all... just a 1/2 lb this time. No toaster oven here and the Super Jumbo's have already been deveined. Did some quick youbloob searches and that's where I came up with my tenative plan. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The anti curling cuts: a few cuts across the body along the length of the belly. The press down from the top in a few places (you should feel the flesh crunch a bit) is important. It’s a technique used, for example, when making shrimp tempura to keep the shrimp straight. But I do it for however I cook shrimp. I’m probably not explaining I get it right. May take a few tries.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neighbor picked up some Argentine Red Shrimp....

They are good, I'm guessing those came from Safeway?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Neighbor picked up some Argentine Red Shrimp....

They are good, I'm guessing those came from Safeway?

Yup! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not having been very optimistic about scoring any of the scarce in these parts Argentine Red Shrimp, I'd put a bag of "regular" shrimp in the fridge to defrost the day before my neighbor made her grocery run for me. Yeah I was craving some good shrimp. Big Grin

Anyhow I whipped this garlic shrimp dish up tonight served on a bed of rice. Now planning to do up some of the Argentine extra jumbo lobster tasting gems next weekend. Smile

Yeah. Smile Lots of fresh parsley. And the lime added a sparkle of citrus that lemon couldn't do as well for this dish. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Anybody have any tips or suggestions for a Tri-Tip?

There is one on page 2 of the bbq thread. I have no experience as it’s not commonly found in my area. But I’ve seen people either do it like steak with reverse sear on a smoker for the low heat part to medium with great results. People also do it like brisket smoker till ~203. They call it trisket. I think maybe beancooker had a thread on that. (EDIT: Nope, it was Benny on page 38 of this thread.) People like both. One thing I’ve seen is that like brisket the grain switches direction so you have to slice it differently for different parts.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vodka Tonic lime. Some cheese, salami on cackers. Bowl of cereal for desert 2 hours after.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One pot chicken mushroom and orzo

It was a hit with the gf and I. New to me website a friend turned me onto.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23190 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Anybody have any tips or suggestions for a Tri-Tip?

I coat Tri Tip liberally with salt and pepper, smoke it over hickory at 200 - 225 degrees until it reaches 142 internal temp. Comes off medium, and very juicy. Slice thin.

Posts: 4010 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight for supper, it will be pretty basic but good. It has been cold and rainy all day.

So: Grill a nicely marbled ribeye steak to med-rare. Baked potato with butter and sour cream. Chopped spinach bake with cheese. White pita bread.

Lemon pie for dessert.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Tonight for supper, it will be pretty basic but good. It has been cold and rainy all day.

So: Grill a nicely marbled ribeye steak to med-rare. Baked potato with butter and sour cream. Chopped spinach bake with cheese. White pita bread.

Lemon pie for dessert.

Wow. That's virtually identical to what I'm having tonight with the exception of the spinach bake and pita bread. Instead we're having an artichoke, but Lemon Pie is dessert.

Oh, and copious amounts of horseradish.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that your, and my, supper turn out the way we hope it will.

Plenty of Hatch chopped HOT green chilies!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post