SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
No worries, Bob!

You did very well.

Looks absolutely delicious!!!

Yum Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Bob, I’m super happy you liked the rub. I got lucky when I mixed it up. That said, I keep a stash of that on hand. When you get low, I’ll send you that, and a few other blends I have made. The ones I keep around are good. The ones that sucked, I never remade.

If I ever make it up to the badlands, We have to cook some steaks and taters. If Mrs. Cooker tags along, maybe some green veggies to suppress the bitching! lol

I don't know what to say Noah. Thank you. Big Grin
Any replenishment ought to be combined with a Mt Hope order I make. Still working through my earlier one. Smile

Yup, we've got some great beef and bison in our flyover country!

And yeah I did consider some veggies but timing the air fryer and cast iron to deliver at the same time distracted me from adding some peas or french cut string beans. lolololololololol

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
No worries, Bob!

You did very well.

Looks absolutely delicious!!!

Yum Smile

Frank, you're too much! hahahahahahahahahaha

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Damn that steak n taters looks good! Those flat iron steaks are the best budget steak you can find if you cook it right and cut it cross grain. Actually one of my wife's favorites and it's half the price of a ribeye which is a nice bonus.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tonight was one of my wife's specialties, Japanese karaage (fried chicken).

Pieces of chicken thighs, marinated in sake and soy sauce with grated ginger and garlic, then using potato starch and a little flour for the coating. Eaten with "yuuzukoshou" spicy citrus pepper sauce or Japanese mayonnaise and Japanese rice, of course. The lettuce made a nice wrapper, when employing extra chopstick skills Wink

As per usual, it goes really well with beer Razz

i love karaage and tatsutaage as well. i’ll always order one whenever i’m at an izakaya. make it at home as well. i’d consider the above more like tatsutaage but it’s a meaningless nuance these days. only diff is that i add sugar or mirin to the marinade. i like yuzu based seasonings as well but my preference here is a squirt of lemon juice and shichimi. there is also yuzu shichimi too. Smile

do you also make yangnyum chicken? i’m very partial to that these days after trying it in suwon. very hard to duplicate so far. suwon has a small district of yangnyum chicken restaurants. it’s all they serve. plus beer. chi-mek places.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
we had copper river salmon. first time of the year. and probably the last as the price was fantastically high this year at $35/pound.

i rubbed it with brown sugar and salt after putting in some cross cuts. wrapped in paper towels and let sit for couple of hours. then pouched slowly over low heat in butter. the belly section was amazing. the tail section very good.

looking forward to next year’s season.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I forgot to take a picture tonight. I made oven baked steelhead trout with broccoli and bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers. This time I used cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and garlic for the stuffing in the jalapeños; I normally just use cream cheese. It came out really good.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I forgot to take a picture tonight. I made oven baked steelhead trout with broccoli and bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers. This time I used cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and garlic for the stuffing in the jalapeños; I normally just use cream cheese. It came out really good.

that sounds great!

i used to make a lot of hemingway style trout. dredged in cornmeal and fried in bacon grease. i had to stop when my pants became too tight for comfort. Smile.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

i love karaage and tatsutaage as well. i’ll always order one whenever i’m at an izakaya. make it at home as well. i’d consider the above more like tatsutaage but it’s a meaningless nuance these days. only diff is that i add sugar or mirin to the marinade. i like yuzu based seasonings as well but my preference here is a squirt of lemon juice and shichimi. there is also yuzu shichimi too. Smile

do you also make yangnyum chicken? i’m very partial to that these days after trying it in suwon. very hard to duplicate so far. suwon has a small district of yangnyum chicken restaurants. it’s all they serve. plus beer. chi-mek places.

Interesting observation. My wife calls it karaage, so no point in debating it.

Glad to hear you know and like yuzu. We were almost thinking it was a secret Wink

We've not made that chicken dish. Would you describe it, please?

It's all better with beer, anyway Big Grin

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
we had copper river salmon. first time of the year. and probably the last as the price was fantastically high this year at $35/pound

Damn, we get it around here for a couple weeks, don't know much about it but it's good. I wait and towards the end they sell for $16-17 a pound to clear it out.

Why is it better? I just know it seems a little fattier and has a deeper color and better taste. Not a huge fish affictionato.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting observation. My wife calls it karaage, so no point in debating it.

Glad to hear you know and like yuzu. We were almost thinking it was a secret Wink

We've not made that chicken dish. Would you describe it, please?

It's all better with beer, anyway Big Grin

i love yuzu. seasoning, juice, drinks. try making ‘tsukemono’ with miso and yuzu juice and japanese kyuri. great side dish for karaage.

aside from yuzu, do you like kabosu? i think i generally prefer kabosu over yuzu now.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Damn, we get it around here for a couple weeks, don't know much about it but it's good. I wait and towards the end they sell for $16-17 a pound to clear it out.

Why is it better? I just know it seems a little fattier and has a deeper color and better taste. Not a huge fish affictionato.

yea, usually i think it’s around $20-25/pound around here when available. very high this year.

taste, texture is along my preference. i always buy wild caught pacific salmon; hardly ever atlantic and never farmed. stykine river also good as i’m sure many other places. but copper river never fails to please.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

i love yuzu. seasoning, juice, drinks. try making ‘tsukemono’ with miso and yuzu juice and japanese kyuri. great side dish for karaage.

aside from yuzu, do you like kabosu? i think i generally prefer kabosu over yuzu now.

Lately, my wife has been making Japanese pickles (tsukemono) using Shio Koji and baby cucumbers (kyuri) from the local market. She's very much into fermented foods like this, lately. We get the shio koji at the Japanese market, but the prices have been going up as it's hard to import things.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lately, my wife has been making Japanese pickles (tsukemono) using Shio Koji and baby cucumbers (kyuri) from the local market. She's very much into fermented foods like this, lately. We get the shio koji at the Japanese market, but the prices have been going up as it's hard to import things.

I assume miso koji, not sake koji? Using rice or mugi or mame based koji? That sounds good - I may try that too. Maybe try with nasu too.

I love all kinds of pickles these days. Been eating a lot of Mcclure's and Claussen. Both normal and spicy (Mcclure's spicy has quite a kick). Trying to make daikon kimchii but not coming out right. And tsukemono. May shift to more sunomono for the summer though.

But always looking for new ways to make side dish pickles....

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Monday night was fresh caught Salmon from trader joes with a garlic and chili seasoning, smoked at 250 on the Traeger.

Tuesday was Smoked Prime Filet Mignon at 250 the n seared in butter and garlic in a hot iron skillet.

Testing the Prime Filet on Wednesday night, 3 hours in the Sous Vide at 130 then seared with garlic and butter in the cast iron.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was in the grocery and they had Tri-tip in the fresh case.

I've never had it before, so I bought a piece.

What's the best way to cook this?

Thanks

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow! That looks tasty! I've been buying smoked salmon belly which is just fantastic eaten simply - over rice or on toast/muffin/bagel (maybe little bit of cream cheese and capers). It's like the bacon of salmon - oily, tasty and delicious.

I wish I had a smoker like you. I like cooking salmon slow - like a slow poach in butter. But would love to slow smoke it....

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Damn HRK, need some company? I'll bring the beers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
<puts flame suit on>
In a somewhat different spirit, I made myself some angel hair pasta with homemade red sauce, meatballs and a piece of sweet italian sausage.
Here's the kicker - the stuff was left over from dinner 10-12 days ago, and I found the container hiding in the back of the fridge. My sniff test told me it was approaching the cusp of 'hell no'. Tasted OK-ish after I nuked it for a couple minutes.

I did this intentionally. Been feeling a bit backed up the last few days, and some past-its-prime sauce seemed like just the thing to get stuff moving again...

</ hurriedly doffs flame suit; waddles towards bathroom>

Seems to be working! Eek

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
<puts flame suit on>

Seems to be working! Eek

This might better have been posted in its own thread. Confused
And more to the point, prunes would have been far safer. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

I assume miso koji, not sake koji? Using rice or mugi or mame based koji? That sounds good - I may try that too. Maybe try with nasu too.

I love all kinds of pickles these days. Been eating a lot of Mcclure's and Claussen. Both normal and spicy (Mcclure's spicy has quite a kick). Trying to make daikon kimchii but not coming out right. And tsukemono. May shift to more sunomono for the summer though.

But always looking for new ways to make side dish pickles....

Correct, miso koji; rice-based. Hope you can find it.

We're hoping to find some Japanese eggplant, this weekend.

Love pickles, too. Pickled asparagus is quite good. A friend of ours gave my wife a jar of spicy pickled beets. They were excellent.

Yes, it's time for vinegared foods (sunomono). My father would make quick summer pickles with cucumber slices, vinegar and ice cubes. We'd have that with deviled eggs and cold, canned salmon. It was a treat.

Good luck with the daikon kimchee. Maybe it needs more time?