SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Damn, I think I'm gaining weight, sitting here looking at these fantastic dishes!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I "made" a trip to the local Chinese restaurant for takeout. The lady who owns it lives a couple of blocks away, and is just a sweet person. She's working hard to keep the doors open, though she's down to two days a week now.

This evening is chilly and rainy, and her hot and sour soup is just wonderful on such a day. Add in some General Tso's chicken and a couple of egg rolls, please!

(Apologies for the sloppy presentation and the chipped bowl....)

God bless America.

Posts: 13410 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
HRK, that's a lot of dinner for *one* night.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Chicken Madras

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No photos, but I just put on a pot of Navy beans with hot Rotels, hot diced Hatch green chilies, diced purple onion, and four(4) pretty, smoked, ham hocks. Coarse ground pepper also.

To go with these beans will be jalapeno cornbread
muffins and butter.

The weather finally cooled off enough for this type of "eats" to taste good to me.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too neglected to take pictures during prep. Doing a 4lb chuck cross rib roast in the 5.5 qt Dutch Oven. Plenty of sweet Vidalia onions, baby carrots, and potatoes. Lightly caramelized the onions and carrots in EVOO and then de-glazed with red wine. Added the beef with good beef stock, 2 bay leaves, 2 minced fresh garlic gloves, rosemary, and thyme. Placed peeled large Yukon Gold potatoes on top of everything. Going for 3 3/4 - 4 hours at 275℉ in the oven.

If I remember I'll post a picture of the done deed. Big Grin

ADDENDUM: Okay I remembered. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Great Saturday pot roast dinner! And that meat falls apart with a fork after being plated. I was careful slicing off slabs to plate. Couldn't resist and had a second helping. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post

Tonight’s meal.

Traeger’d chicken breast. Fettuccine noodles. Steamed broccoli. Baked potato with butter, cheese, sour cream, and green onion.

It’s more of a Summer meal but, hey, it sounded good.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Although this picture was taken a couple of months ago, I made nearly this exact same dish tonight.

Homemade beef stew.

3 pounds of cubed chuck roast
1 pack of bacon
1 chopped onion
3 chopped carrots
3 chopped celery stalks
6 shopped garlic cloves
1 box of chopped mushrooms
1 small pack of mixed-color mini-potatoes.
4 stalks of fresh rosemary
1 can of large black olives
1 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignons
4 cups of beef broth
flour
coarse salt
fresh ground black pepper

(optional: frozen peas, canned corn)

Preheat oven to 300˚

Chop the whole pack of bacon and cook over medium-low heat on a 15" cast iron skillet until done to perfection.
Scoop out the bacon and put it in a separate bowl and sauté the chopped onions, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms until done. Scoop out the veggies and place with the bacon. Browne the beef cubes in the leftover bacon grease. Sprinkle some salt and pepper while browning. Once brown, sprinkle the beef with flour and mix it into the leftover grease.

In a large porcelain coated cast-iron dutch oven, mix bacon, veggies, meat and potatoes. deglaze the cast-iron skillet with a splash of wine and scoop the deglazed leftovers into the dutch oven. Pour the whole bottle of wine into the dutch oven and add the olives. Add enough beef broth to fully submerge the meat and veggies. Sprinkle salt, pepper, parsley, basil and oregano (fresh or dry).

thoroughly mix and bring to a mild simmer. Once simmered, place lid on the dutch oven and place in the oven at 300˚ for 90 minutes.

Remove, rest, serve alone or over white rice with garlic bread. Take a nap.

This is one of my wife's favorite dishes that I make. I've made it twice now and it knocked her socks off!

In the pic above, I added peas and forgot to add mushrooms and flour. Tonight I added mushrooms and some flour and it thickened up nicely. The tase is to die for!

You can use stew meat from the butcher, but for best results, get a chuck roast and cut out all the fat and connective tissue. The meat will come out better. Tonight I used two different batches of stew meat we had in the freezer and I can tell the meat wasn't as tender and it was a little dry compared to the first batch I made when I cut a fresh chuck roast myself that had not been previously frozen. The better the wine, the better the flavor as well.

I also quartered all the mini-potatoes this time too and that seemed to make a difference in the stew bowl

I based my beef stew off this YouTube recipe and tweaked it to my liking.

I used the porcelain dutch oven concept and the wine/broth method off this video...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5367 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
St Louis ribs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicken Stock and Chicken Soup from a Rotisserie Chicken

Equipment
fine-mesh strainer
6 qt pot

Chicken Stock:
1 tbs olive oil
1 chicken carcass, rotisserie, about 2-3 lbs (meat picked off for soup)
10 cups of water
2 large carrots, rgh chopped
2 celerey ribs, rgh chopped
1/2 lg white onion, rgh chopped
1/2 tsp salt

Oil pot bottom, searing bones for a few mins without burning, tossing often.
Add a cup of water, scrape bits off pan bottom.
Add nine cups of water. Simmer for 90-120 mins, do NOT boil.
Skim off floating fat.
Strain liquid, discarding solids.

Chicken Noodle Soup:
5 cups of water
2 tsp of chicken boullion
4 lg. carrots, chopped
2 celerey stalks, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
1 bay leaf

3/4 tsp of poultry seasoning
---OR---
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp ground thyme

1 lb egg noodles, cooked al dente
chicken pieces, pulled apart to bite sized, from cooked carcass
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper

Add all, except noodles & chicken, to chicken stock from above.
Bring to a simmer, do NOT boil, for 15 mins.
Add chicken, continue to simmer another 5 mins.
Pick off any floating skin remnants.
Remove from heat, add cooked egg noodles.
Remove bay leaf, do not eat it.
Serve.

Leftovers may keep up to 5 days in fridge. Freeze for up to 6 months.

Family loved it!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well I don't post here much. But this was quite possibly the best strip steak I ever made and was the second best steak I've ever had.

It was choice, but I knew when I bought it the marbling looked prime. Now it may be cooked a tiny bit more than I was shooting for but damn it was juicy as anything I've had.

I dry brined it with salt for about 8 hours. I used souse vide until 120, about an hour. I seared in clarified butter with some italian seasoning in cast iron.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lentil - sausage stew. Big Grin

Recipe can be found here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1050031174/p/1

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Haven’t had A chance to host the photo, which really doesn’t do it justice anyway, but last night made Pheasant and Mushroom Pot Pies. They were well received and delicious! Last of the 2019 pheasants, thankfully, 2020 did allow for a trip out west for SD pheasant season and there is plenty for more.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
barndg00,

Haven't had pheasant in longer than I care to admit. Your meal sounds great. Do you clean the birds yourself or have them done for you?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Today was Coconut Green Curry Chicken:

-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-1ish pound boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-2 teaspoons ground ginger
-2 teaspoons ground coriander
-1 can of coconut milk (14 oz)
-1 cup shredded/grated carrots
-1 cup red bell pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
-1 jar Thai green curry paste (4 oz)
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon black pepper
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-Cilantro, finely chopped

1) Add the olive oil and onion to a large skillet or sauté pan, and sauté over medium-high heat for ~5 minutes until the onion begins to soften and turn golden.
2) Add the cut-up chicken and sauté for another ~5 minutes, or until chicken is done.
3) Add the garlic, ginger, and coriander, mix well, and cook for ~1 minute.
4) Add the coconut milk, carrot, bell pepper, curry paste, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
5) Reduce heat to medium, and allow to gently boil for about 5 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
6) Add the lime juice and cilantro, stir to combine, and serve.

Can be left more runny and served over rice, or cooked down a bit to thicken and served in a bowl like a stew.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I tried three new recipes this week with my Instapot; one pressure cooker and two slow cooker. All three came out amazing and I didn’t think of taking pictures.

One was beef short ribs. One was a chicken soup, and the other was Mongolian beef Chinese.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a well seasoned(rub) chuck roast in the smoker for low and slow treatment. It got 2 hours open in the hickory smoke @225F, then was pulled and double wrapped in alum. foil with 1/2 of a beer included before closing it up. Back to the smoker @ 225F for another 6 hours. It will rest for approx. one hour. The last one that I did was awesome!!! Basically, a "baby brisket".

I am going to oven roast some cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar and bacon.

Some Rice-a-Roni(with some adds) will finish the
whole meal out.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Damn Rogue, that Curry Chicken looks incredible. I wish our favorite pre COVID Thai restaurant was open. I'd order that in second.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Damn Rogue, that Curry Chicken looks incredible. I wish our favorite pre COVID Thai restaurant was open. I'd order that in second.

Jim

Well, while you may not be able to order it in a second under the current circumstances, you could cook it yourself in only about 15 minutes. Big Grin It's really easy to make. And the only two "nonstandard" ingredients are coconut milk and green curry paste. Either one of those are widely available in grocery stores around here in the "Asian Food" section, and we don't even really have that big of an Asian population. Up in the Pacific Northwest, it's probably even easier to find. Even if they aren't in your local grocery stores, they're both available for shipping to your door through Amazon Pantry if you have a Prime membership.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post