SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, at first I thought this must be a spoof, but apparently, this was issued by the Doug Jones campaign.

Deep thinkers, ain't they?

Apparently, they've managed to piss off a lot of people with this thing.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
It's all they know. Race baiting, and the fall back strategy of race baiting followed by the tried and true tactic of race baiting.

I look at that picture and my minds voice hears "What you talkin' 'bout Willis"

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can't parody these fools. They beat you to the punch with this kind of stuff.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Maybe they hope more people will take it seriously that way. Presentation is the only thing that can save them sometimes, and a confident front has gotten some people to take some bullshit at face value before.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...ave-trial-newspaper/

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) backed up GOP candidate Judge Roy Moore in an interview with the Associated Press as allegations against Moore crumble amid revelations of forgery.

In the interview published on Saturday, Cotton compared the frivolous allegations against Moore to the frivolous allegations that came out against President Donald Trump before his landslide victory over Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Cotton said the voters would decide the veracity of the claims just like they deemed Trump to not be guilty last year, and that the news media should not determine whether or not people are guilty.

On Moore and others, Cotton said, voters “are going to make that decision, just like the people of this country made their decision last year on Donald Trump.”

He added that women should be able to complain of sexual assault and the accused should be able to defend themselves.

“We shouldn’t have trial by newspaper,” he said.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We shouldn’t have trial by newspaper,” he said.

Razz But, but, didn't the press designate itself the Fourth Estate? Who cares if their only claim to being functionally a part of democratic, representative government is that they got hired by some editor or producer?

I just finished reading a book about politics in Britain during the American Revolutionary War called "The Persistence of Empire". At one point the author details why Parliament felt entitled to legislate for what were then the American colonies without seating members of Parliament from America by saying that:

"...Parliament 'virtually' represented the American colonists in the same manner that it represented those Britons - including all women and most men - who did not have any direct say in choosing its members. Indeed, because Parliament theoretically spoke for the nation as a whole, Whately maintained, 'all British subjects are really in the same [condition]; none are actually, all are virtually, represented in Parliament; for every Member of Parliament sits in the House, not as Representative of his own constituents, but as one of that august Assembly by which all the Commons of Great Britain are represented.'" (If anyone wants the citation, shoot me an email - IC)

Go back and review the media's claims to be an important part of the government of the US, and you'll find the media making pretty much the same argument in support of its taking a preeminent role in the way Americans decide what issues (and positions!) are important and how they ought to vote. You'll find the media using the exact same logic today that those in favor of an omnipotent Parliament made over 240 years ago - they represent all of us (in their minds) rather than being bogged down with petty local political concerns. Thus no elections and no accountability are really necessary - a fat paycheck, unthinking deference and unalloyed gratitude will do just fine.

By the way, that thought may also be worth considering the next time some politician makes some sanctimonious statement about 'voting their conscience' rather than voting as their constituents want them to.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"All hail the mighty journalists!"

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
A long read but it provided me the biggest laugh I've had today Big Grin

MONTGOMERY, Alabama — Frank Luntz, a GOP establishment messaging consultant, was visibly flabbergasted as every single one of his focus group participants in a Birmingham area Vice News-produced panel backed Judge Roy Moore for U.S. Senate.

Titled “Why These Alabama Voters Are Sticking By Roy Moore,” Luntz’s Vice News focus group aired on Vice News Tonight on Dec. 8 on HBO.

“Are you all Christians here?” Luntz opens the seven-and-a-half-minute long segment. “Yes,” all of the focus group participants, who joined Luntz in a Birmingham area restaurant, replied.

“Is Roy Moore a good Christian?” he followed up.

“Yes,” one woman replied. “Absolutely,” another said.

“Absolutely?” Luntz followed up in disbelief. “Yes,” the woman shot back. “Without any doubt whatsoever?” Luntz asked again.

After some more back and forth, a man in the focus group spoke up. Scottie Porter, a real estate developer, said:

He’s not my choice, I’m not voting for him because I like him. I’m voting for him because I don’t want Doug Jones. But Roy Moore is entitled to the presumption of innocence in the law and in the Bible just like anybody else should be. There are only accusations. There have been no charges filed. All you have is a group of women who have come forward.

“How many? How many?” Luntz pressed Porter.

“Seven,” he replied.

“There’s really only three,” one woman yelled out.

“How many women have to come forward before you say ‘wait a minute, where there’s smoke there’s fire’?” Luntz asked the group.

Chuck Moore, a retired sales consultant, replied: “It’s about the legitimacy, not just how many. How many are not being paid? Or being coerced to do this?”

“How many of them do you think are being paid?” Luntz asked the group.

“All of them,” some replied in unison.

“By a show of hands, how many of you think all the women are being paid?” Luntz asked the full group.

Three hands in the group went up.

“Seriously?” Luntz asked in disbelief, before the camera turned to homemaker Jane Wade.

“To me, there are only two women that have a smoking gun but the women’s—their reputations are questionable at the time,” Wade said.

“Is this how you want to be treated as a woman if something were to happen to you? Do you want to be dismissed that way?” Luntz asked Gina Doran, a retired school bus driver.

“You better have proof,” Doran fired back at Luntz.

“You know, it doesn’t sound like it went beyond there were still clothes on,” Wade interjected. “It doesn’t sound like it went beyond anything, and that as soon as the girl said she wasn’t comfortable he took her home.”

“I guess my question is: You blame her?” Luntz pressed. “She’s 14.”

“I’m not blaming her,” Wade replied. “I’m blaming both of them. I didn’t say I thought he was without sin. It’s possible that he did it. But it’s possible that he could be forgiven for—I don’t think he raped her. I don’t think he—“

At that point, Porter chimed back in: “Let’s be real. It was a different world. Forty years ago in Alabama, people could get married at 13 and 14 years old.”

“Yeah,” Wade said.

“My grandmother, at 13, was married,” Porter continued. “At 15, [she] had two children and a husband and a job. If Roy Moore was guilty, if he was at the mall hitting on this 14-year-old, 40 years ago in Alabama, there’s a lot of mamas and daddies who would be thrilled that their 14-year-old was getting hit on by a district attorney.”

Rhonda Richardson, a nursing assistant, said she dated older men when she was 16-years-old.

“I dated an older man at 16,” she said. “So we don’t really—“

“How old was he?” Luntz asked.

“Thirty-one,” she responded, the same age group in which Moore was accused of engaging in this various behavior. “I’m not going to say that the 14-year-old—I don’t believe her, to be honest, the one that says she was 14, I don’t believe her. But for all of us, as a woman, I think we all have pretty much been in the situation where there’s been sexual harassment.”

Luntz, stunned, turned to Richardson and said: “Think about what you’re saying. You’re calling all nine of those women liars. Nine women. When it happened to you, did you want people to trust you?”

“I never told anybody,” she answered. “And if I was going to tell somebody, I would not have waited 38 years to tell it. I would—that’s what’s mind-boggling. Why wait until now, at an election, to come forward and say ‘oh’?”

Then the conversation turned to financial trading instructor Harry Vance, who said:

Okay, Frank, what you’re wanting to know is—we’re a bunch of conservatives here, and you want to know why we’re going to vote for Roy Moore. My wife went to high school with Roy. She said in high school, Roy was a hard worker and American success story if you will. He always aimed for higher things. However, neither she nor I have ever voted for Roy up until now. We intend to vote for Roy because of the opponent that’s running. Right now, as far as I’m concerned, we’ve probably got two miserable candidates. In my opinion, we ought to go with the conservative, we ought to go with somebody we know is going to vote conservative. And that’s what I’m looking for.”\

“Roy Moore is not a miserable man,” retired nail salon owner Peggy Montalbano said. “This man has more integrity than you can find in the entire Congress right now. Don’t fall for the George Soros assassination plan.”

Doran signaled agreement with Montalbano.

“The truth is will come out,” Montalbano said. “These women are all going to be proven [wrong]. Just like the 16 that went against President Trump, just right before the election.”

“What about the accusers of Bill Clinton?” Luntz asked her.

“The accusers of Clinton, everybody knows he’s a womanizer,” Montalbano said.

“But people think the same thing about Roy Moore,” Luntz said.

“But with Bill Clinton, they went to the courthouse and they filed papers,” Porter answered for the group. “They didn’t wait 40 years to do it. That’s a huge difference than just going to the media only just six weeks before an election.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...ce-news-focus-group/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
That's rich.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
That's rich.

Indeed it is.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Didn’t Frank Luntz get busted during the primaries for stacking things in Rubio’s or Jebbllary’s favor during one of his “focus groups”? I remember him doing something shady.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It seems to me the only thing to do is to vote Moore in.

If he wins, he is there voting for Supreme and other court judges, Obamacare, etc., the Trump agenda. The Ethics Committee can investigate and if he is exonerated, well and good. If not, he resigns, the Governor appoints a new Senator and they try again.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Roy Moore's lead widens in latest polls...

http://www.al.com/news/index.s....html#incart_m-rpt-2

Republican Roy Moore has widened his lead over Democrat Doug Jones, according to the most recent polls in the Alabama Senate race.

Two polls - the first by the Trafalgar Group and the second by Gravis - show Moore leading by as much as 5 points. The polls come just ahead of Tuesday's election and weeks after allegations surfaced that Moore had sexual contact with several teenage girls in the 1970s. The allegations led to calls for Moore to exit the race though he denies the charges.

The Trafalgar Group poll shows 48 percent of respondents said they plan to vote for Moore with 3 percent saying they are "leaning" towards the GOP nominee. Forty-one percent said they plan to vote for Jones with 5 percent "leaning" that way. Slightly more than 3.3 percent said the plan to vote for someone else.

The poll was conducted Dec. 6-17 among 1,419 respondents.

The second poll, this one conducted by Gravis Marketing, shows 49 percent of the respondents plan to vote for Moore compared to 45 percent who said the same about Jones. Among undecideds, 24 percent said they are leaning towards Moore; 27 percent were leaning towards Jones; and 49 percent haven't made up their minds who to support. T

he same poll shows 43 percent of Alabamians believe the allegations against Moore while 37 percent do not. Twenty percent of respondents said they were unsure if the allegations were true.

Forty-percent said they do not trust Roy Moore compared to 40 percent who said they do. Thirteen percent are uncertain. The poll was conducted Dec. 5-8 among 1,245 likely voters.

Using the Trafalgar Group and Gravis polls, along with others dating back to September, Moore enjoys an average lead of almost 4 points, according to RealClearPolitics.com. Trump had enjoyed a lead of as much as 22 points before the abuse allegations surfaced.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Moore leads by 9 points in another poll released today.

http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ml#incart_river_home

In a poll released less than 24 hours before the polls open on Tuesday, Alabama Senate Republican nominee Roy Moore has taken his biggest lead in weeks.

In the Emerson College poll, Moore has seized a 9-point lead over Democrat Doug Jones in polling done in recent days.

Limited information was first available this morning on the Emerson podcast but more details results of the polls are expected to be released later Monday.

The poll sampled 600 likely voters and data was collected using both an Interactive Voice Response system of landlines only and an online panel provided by Survey Sampling International.

The Emerson poll last week had Jones trailing by just 3 points.

On the podcast, Emerson pollster Spencer Kimball described Moore's lead as "significant."

According to a comprehensive list of Alabama Senate polls complied by Real Clear Politics, the 9-point lead is Moore's largest since before the allegations against Moore broke on Nov. 9.

"What we've noticed is Moore's favorability (rating) has really risen over the past three weeks," Kimball said. "He took a real dive after the allegations came out around Veterans Day and slowly built himself up back up to 45-45 favorable/unfavorable opinion.

"But most likely it is this Trump endorsement. Trump is very favorable in Alabama. He carries a 55 favorable rating right now and that's lower where it has been over the past two months of polling this state. We know he carries some coattails. That's most likely the reason Moore has been able to extend his lead up to 9."

Trump formally endorsed Moore last Monday after previously indicating support. And at a rally last Friday in Pensacola, Fla., Trump praised Moore and urged Alabama voters to back him at the polls. Voters may also be hearing from Trump today via a robocall he recorded over the weekend for Moore.

The Emerson poll comes on the heels of a poll released over the week by the Trafalgar Group, which had Moore leading by 5 points. That poll sampled 1,419 likely voters from Dec. 6-7 and had a margin of error of 2.6 percent.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fox Poll Story...

Fox Poll is stating Jones is ahead by 10 points.

All of these polls are worthless.

We will all know tomorrow. I hope Moore bring's it home for a lot of reasons.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Roy Moore's lead widens in latest polls...

Yeah, but then you get this fox news poll today. I actually laughed out loud at this.

Fox News Poll: Enthused Democrats give Jones lead over Moore in Alabama
Dana Blanton By Dana Blanton | Fox News

Democrat Doug Jones holds a 10-point lead over Republican Roy Moore among likely voters in deep red Alabama.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...oore-in-alabama.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
All the Fox News poll does is drive Moore voters to the polls.

Besides, the Fox News poll is among registered voters, not likely voters.
Polls among registered voters are not very indicative.

This is a special election, likely voters are the ones who turn out to vote.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Both of those polls were of "likely" voters. Just shows how ridiculous polls are.

If anything, the reason for the fnc poll is that some of those polled don't want to admit that they are really going to vote for Moore.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
All the Fox News poll does is drive Moore voters to the polls.

Yup. That’s what I was thinking.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I heard Fox’s talking heads discussing this recent poll today and got a good chuckle. All this talk of polls is simply a way to sell advertising and profit off of the interest and uncertainty of this unique situation. We will know soon enough. I’m hoping the people of Alabama realize that even in the face of multiple allegations against Moore voting for a Democrat is worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post